Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-23-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
BeatleMoe
Forum Regular

Default The actual last year for Becky

We all like the character of Becky (liked Lecy better, but I also liked Sarah, too), but it seems that her involvement of the show ended in year four. She was gone after four episodes in the fifth season, just kind of hung around the house seasons six-seven, Lecy came back, and her debut episode back was a strong one. But she just left the show in a whimper. She should have been in Darlene's wedding, not just part two (it's confusing to see that her hair would be long in one episode, short again, then long, short...). Then season nine rolls around, I think I counted a total of nine or ten episodes that Sarah appeared in. Let's face it, Becky should have stayed in Minneapolis or be given better material.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:10 AM   #2
Cashodeen
Hi.
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BeatleMoe
...Let's face it, Becky should have stayed in Minneapolis or be given better material.
True dat. The show's demise? When Becky got married. I make it sound like it's a fact, but of course this is only my opinion. LOL. But I think that's when the show stopped being even close to the same. It still had good jokes and interesting plots after season 4, but it sincerely seemed like a different show. Becky's change when she came back helped make is seem like a different show. I've heard good things about Chalke (like when she's on Scrubs) but LET'S face it--she was not Becky. At least not the Becky we were used to. She was even given different lines than Lecy. And she was treated differently. It was like a wasted character when she came on. And Lecy didn't stick around long enough after she returned, to matter.
Cashodeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 03:41 PM   #3
beckyc
beckyc
Forum Regular

Yep, after they recastesd Becky, the show was different. I like Seasons 1-5 best and the few episodes in Season 6 before Sarah came on.
beckyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
Michael1973
Frequent Poster

I always wondered about that too. Why did they bother bringing Becky #2 back if they had no use for her? The worst example of this, IMO, is in the season 9 Thanksgiving episode where Roseanne and Mark both allude to Becky, but she's not even there! Where on Earth are we supposed to think she was???
Michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:42 PM   #5
dl72190
Frequent Poster

I thought that was weird like how on the train in the last season Mark was there but Becky wasn't and in the Gilligan's Island Episode Mrak was in it and Becky wasn't.

"In the end its not about what you have, in the end its about where you wanna go, and the roads you take to help you get there" ADTR
dl72190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
beckyc
beckyc
Forum Regular

It seems like the only reason they brought Becky back, was to bring back Mark.
beckyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:51 AM   #7
Bad_Company
70s Freak
Forum Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by beckyc
It seems like the only reason they brought Becky back, was to bring back Mark.
I agree....And whats also weird is how when Mark came back he had changed .....instead of being some tough guy punk he was alot different....but i still liked his character.
I didn't like Sara Chalke as Becky because i didn't think that she acted like the other Becky would have in certain situations.

"They wanna kill rock n' roll because they know it makes us horny man!"
"The three real branches of the government are Military, Corporate, and Hollywood."
--------Hyde from That 70s Show
Bad_Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
kdm31091
Occasional Poster

And bringing Lecy back was kinda pointless, considering Lecy in season 8 did almost nothing (except cut her beautiful hair short once again )
kdm31091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
coffield3
<3

I wished that the first becky never left,its always awkward when they replace a character with somebody else,as lecy was my favorite becky conner/healy.
But also i think sarah chalk did a great job as becky,i still enjoyed all the seasons.
coffield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
Jr1986
It's The Corny Collins Show!!
Frequent Poster

It never really mattered to me which actress was playing Becky that episode. I've seen them all so many times, and I like Lecy Goranson and Sarah Chalke about equally. Lately as I'm watching episodes from the later seasons, I'm wondering "Okay, where's Becky?" They talk about her, but she isn't there. I really noticed this in Season 9, when Becky was hardly there at all. Mark was always there (Not that I'm complaining, just look at my avatar! ) but Becky was always off somewhere else. I really wish they had given Becky more to do in the final seasons, instead of come and go on an irregular basis, especially in the final season.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
An 80s Guy
legen-wait for it-dary!

Send a message via Yahoo to An 80s Guy

I liked Sara Chalke better than Alicia Goranson.Lecy always sounded super whiny even when she was not It got annoying after a while.I was still excited about her return for a few episodes of season 8.She was there for like 10 episodes though.
An 80s Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:41 AM   #12
Overdose
Don't mess with Roseanne!
Forum Regular

Becky was always such a good character in Roseanne from Seasons 1-4. She caused so much drama and fighting, it made for good TV, honestly. Plus, she was realistic in her acting and her reactions to situations.

She also allowed for many of the best lines to be used against her. Darlene and Roseanne always had some of the best lines to use against her. But still, Becky #1 held her own and if Lecy had stayed for the rest of the seasons I'm betting Roseanne would have been a way better show for a much longer time.

Sure, I like seasons 6, 7 and 8. But compared to seasons 1-4 they don't compare. The only reason season 5 is my favorite, even though there is hardy any Becky, is because the storylines are the strongest in that season IMO.
Overdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #13
cheesecakehead
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatleMoe
We all like the character of Becky (liked Lecy better, but I also liked Sarah, too), but it seems that her involvement of the show ended in year four. She was gone after four episodes in the fifth season, just kind of hung around the house seasons six-seven, Lecy came back, and her debut episode back was a strong one. But she just left the show in a whimper. She should have been in Darlene's wedding, not just part two (it's confusing to see that her hair would be long in one episode, short again, then long, short...). Then season nine rolls around, I think I counted a total of nine or ten episodes that Sarah appeared in. Let's face it, Becky should have stayed in Minneapolis or be given better material.
Well in my opinion, I think Roseanne can be divided into two eras: Pre-Becky and Post-Becky. I think they had to do something with Becky, not just have her disappear which would be a huge gaping hole, and it was a good choice to have somebody hold her spot on the show. I don't think you can really compare Lecy Goranson and Sarah Chalke. I read once somebody said Lecy was Becky, and Sarah just played Becky. I like that. I think when originally Sarah Chalke first joined the cast as Becky, they really had her playing the original Becky and being that character. But, the writing on the show got worse, and as the show wasn't as good, Sarah Chalke was used more as a placeholder to maintain and preserve Becky on the show. And she did a good job at that. I'm glad Sarah wasn't better than Lecy as Becky. I would've been mad if she was. I miss Lecy as Becky later in the show and when she came back, the show wasn't the same. I think watching Becky coming back on the show after leaving for about 3 years trying to interact with Roseanne in season 8 really showed what happened to the show. As for Sarah Chalke not being in a lot of episodes in season 9, I think that was a conscious decision by the producers and writers knowing the show was not what it used to be. Can you imagine how Sarah Chalke as Becky would've reacted to Roseanne in the episode when Roseanne throws everybody off of the train? The woman who was being held hostage who took the tape off of Roseanne wearing the chicken shirt at the end was more interesting. The same thing with the Gilligan's Island's episode. Would you have wanted to see Sarah Chalke playing a character from Gilligan's Island? They just left it alone intentionally. She's also not in The War Room, but once again would you have wanted to watch Becky as played by Sarah Chalke say something inspiring to Roseanne? That would've been fake at that point. The obvious hole being Becky as played by Sarah Chalke not in the season 9 Thanksgiving episode, and on top of that they mention her. Becky is not in the Conner home on Thanksgiving! But Mark is. That was a big mistake in my opinion. She didn't even have to do anything. She could have just sat there smiling during that scene.

Originally, Lecy was supposed to play all the roles as Becky in season 8, but her school schedule didn't permit it. Sarah Chalke only played the role of Becky in the season 8 episodes when necessary which were the Disney World episodes and Darlene's wedding. Originally, the show was supposed to end after the eighth season and Lecy had signed on for the eighth season. That is why we don't see Lecy as Becky in the ninth season and Sarah returns (a real downer in my opinion). I don't know why Lecy didn't sign on for the ninth season, if it was school... I would like to know. But anyways, people always talk about rotating Beckys, but they don't rotate. Lecy plays Becky for the entire eighth season except for those 3 episodes, the Disney episodes and Darlene's wedding.
cheesecakehead is offline   Reply With Quote