Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Sitcoms That Are Leaving Netflix; Superstore to End After This Season, Its 6th
Community Stars to Toast & Roast 2020 on Fox New Year's Eve; Leah Remini GSN Game Show Premieres Jan. 18, 2021
HBO Max Acquires Exclusive SVOD Streaming Rights to The Middle; Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone Get Netflix Sitcom
Pluto TV Launches The Price Is Right: The Bob Barker Era Channel; A Very Merry MeTV Every Sunday on MeTV
SNL Hosts for December Announced; Jeopardy! Announces Final Week of Alex Trebek Episodes Then Ken Jennings Guest Host Week
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 30, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Comes to an End (Again); SNL Lines Up December Hosts

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November/December)

Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season Mom - The Complete Seventh Season The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

09/01 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 14
09/01 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete Second Season
09/01 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
09/15 - Mom - The Complete Seventh Season
09/15 - South Side - Season 1
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Second Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Third Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Fourth Season
09/22 - Man with a Plan - Season Three
09/29 - The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
10/13 - The Jetsons - The Complete Series (Diamond Collection)
10/13 - Our Cartoon President - Season Two
10/23 - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - The Complete Collection
10/27 - The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
10/27 - Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)
11/10 - Letterkenny - Seasons 5 & 6
11/10 - The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/10 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Collection
11/17 - Carol's Second Act - The Complete Series
11/17 - Robbie - Season 1
11/24 - Corporate - Season 1
12/01 - The Neighborhood - Season Two
12/15 - Avenue 5 - The Complete First Season

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-31-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
Dresdendoll45
Frequent Poster

Question Whatever happened to Hugh Harlin.

4 years passed after the mysterious death of Dian Harlin
on November 1, 1986, he went to a friend's house to borrow some tools for a two-day construction job in San Siemian, twenty-seven miles away. He left that evening and was never seen again.
A few days later, friends found Hugh's pickup truck deserted on the side of the road near Cambria. Several personal possessions were left behind in it, including his glasses, backpack, sleeping bag, and some tins containing tobacco and ragweed pot. Its keys were found on the ground a few feet away. His friends later discovered that a fuel line had been removed from it.
Some people believe Hugh vanished on his own due to guilt about Dian's murder. Some of his friends believe that he may have just left for other reasons. Several people believe he was harmed by Dian's killer. They don't believe that he would have left his truck on the side of the road. What is your theory of what happened after when he tossed his keys down and walked away from his truck what do you believe happened what is your theory do you think he was responsible for his wife's homicide he died from exposure or was he a victim of a serial killer what do you think happened to him.?
Dresdendoll45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
XCalibur
Forum Regular

My best guess on this one was that Hugh flew off the handle and killed Diana, then a few years later unable to live with the guilt he went off somewhere and took his own life. Seems his alibi and stories were a little inconsistent even though they never had enough evidence to charge him.

I think the odds of him meeting with foul play too are pretty slim. Unless of course it was the same person. But who had a motive to do both of them in and why would they wait several years with Hugh? Unless he suspected someone, just doesn't add up. Hugh and Diane were a simple and eccentric but mostly harmless couple who no one really had any reason to kill. Just doesn't really add up. But Hugh and Diane had a tumultuous relationship at best. He was probably the one with the best motive to kill her.

Of course that's just a guess, no way to know for sure. Nothing whatsoever has surfaced about this case since the broadcast, probably will never know the truth about it.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur View Post
My best guess on this one was that Hugh flew off the handle and killed Diana, then a few years later unable to live with the guilt he went off somewhere and took his own life. Seems his alibi and stories were a little inconsistent even though they never had enough evidence to charge him.

I think the odds of him meeting with foul play too are pretty slim. Unless of course it was the same person. But who had a motive to do both of them in and why would they wait several years with Hugh? Unless he suspected someone, just doesn't add up. Hugh and Diane were a simple and eccentric but mostly harmless couple who no one really had any reason to kill. Just doesn't really add up. But Hugh and Diane had a tumultuous relationship at best. He was probably the one with the best motive to kill her.

Of course that's just a guess, no way to know for sure. Nothing whatsoever has surfaced about this case since the broadcast, probably will never know the truth about it.
Agreed.

I think he's the best suspect in Diane's death, and it's a pretty reasonable hypothesis that guilt over this led him to commit suicide. Given that he was described as a rather eccentric man and something of a drifter, it's anyone's guess as to where he eventually wound up at the end.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
Dresdendoll45
Frequent Poster

Most likely if he took his life how come there has been no remains from him in the years of His disappearance where are his remains.
Dresdendoll45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
TrueCrimeCanuck
Occasional Poster

I think Hugh may have just wandered off into the wilds and let nature take its toll. But I was perplexed about his glasses..

I found it odd Hugh left his glasses in his car, as I would have thought he would need those if he was going to leave voluntarily. Then I thought; what if he just wanted to let go and go into nature? Glasses would obviously help him so he might have left them to make his struggle a bit more difficult and more likely to end poorly. When you add to the fact that he left behind a backpack and sleeping bag, leaving the glasses makes a bit more sense for this reason.

I also thought that considering how Hugh was, perhaps he left the glasses in the car so that someone could use them? But if they were prescriptions, then they'd likely be of little use to someone else.

My last idea was; what if he needed the glasses for driving? Unsolved Mysteries has him wearing them all the time, but he's only wearing glasses in two photos.

I think the main reason he left his truck was because he didn't want people asking questions if he was to give it away.

And to answer Dresden Doll's question; perhaps animals ate it? Bodies can go on hiding for a while if no one disturbs the right area. Maybe no one poked around in just the right spot. Or maybe Hugh picked a very out of the way place that he knew.
TrueCrimeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

This case is so bizarre. I've gone back and forth over the years. The police ruled Hugh out as a suspect in Dian's murder prior to his disappearance. He also completed a construction project on the day of his disappearance, which seems like an odd thing to do if he was planning on committing suicide later that day. Hugh left Morro Bay to do the construction job in San Simeon, and his abandoned truck was found in Cambria. Look at this map. Hugh was about halfway back to Morro Bay before he disappeared. Some of his friends had said that his truck had a faulty engine line, which would cause the truck to stall from time to time. Even the condition of the truck was bizarre. The doors were locked, the windows were rolled up, and the hood was pulled up, but his keys were tossed to the side of the truck. He left behind his glasses, tools, and tobacco.

It's also very bizarre that Hugh was the one to come forward and identify Dian's body. It's odd that he would do this if he was the one responsible for her death. Hugh's truck was found abandoned on the outskirts of a fairly populated city. If he walked into town to make a phone call or get help with his truck, could he have met with foul play in that small window? And if Hugh was responsible for Dian's murder and wanted to disappear, why? He was no longer considered a suspect by law enforcement. I did find this article interesting. It says that Dian's body was found partially nude and that investigators believed the motive to be sexual. This would almost certainly rule out Hugh, unless he decided to stage her body to throw off investigators. But that seems unlikely due to how eccentric he was. He was angry that the police were even considering it a homicide and insisted that she died from an aneurysm.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:55 AM   #7
Omar the Satanist
Frequent Poster

Interesting to find out about a possible sexual motive. UM didnít mention anything like that if I remember correctly.

This case was a favorite of mine. Iíve always leaned slightly towards Hugh not killing Dian, but who knows?

One odd thing is Hugh was missing a thumb and forefinger on one hand, which seems like it would render someone incapable of choking somebody else with a leash. Another thing is Harlinís supposed hippy, pothead nature makes him hard to imagine as a ďcrime of passionĒ-style killer. And he waited four years to kill himself........most guilt ravaged people crack before then. And the possible sexual nature of the murder is unusual for a homicidal husband.

All these weird things could have an answer, though. Maybe Harlin didnít kill her himself but paid somebody to get rid of her. Maybe he wasnít a chill hippy and the people who spoke about him in the UM segment were lying, or naive. Maybe mental illness caused him to disappear when he did.

Definitely one of the more murky UM cases. Too bad there isnít much background info about either of them.
Omar the Satanist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fisherman, missing, murder, naggingwife