Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Confused Did Rural Shows Like 'Green Acres' Need to Be Cancelled?

Green Acres: Dancing With the Stars probably isn't pulling the numbers this sitcom classic was pulling when it got dumped in 1971, along with Hee Haw, The Beverly Hillbillies and the even-higher-rated Andy Griffith Show spinoff, Mayberry R.F.D. For once, audience size didn't matter. CBS was just doneódone with cows, trees, and mail boxes that sit on posts by the side of dirt roads. It wanted more big-city shows like the one it had introduced the previous fall: a little something called The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b210...#ixzz15D6vAxwz

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Rezny@gmail.com

And it's odd:Just one season later,1972-1973 CBS premiered the rural family drama classic "The Waltons",which at the time surprised everyone by getting good ratings and lasting 9(!)years,so rural shows were NOT dead.
Rezny@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

The first season especially of The Waltons was extremely well-written and had high production values, along with a great cast. It's not really a surprise that it did well in the ratings from today's standpoint, though as you suggest that may be at odds with the expectations of the times. However, the country was experiencing a nostalgia wave of sorts around 1972, so I think a show about the '30s was well-timed to succeed.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
cocytus
Forum Regular

They didn't need to cancel the shows, but that being the end of the Civil Rights era and given the changes made to American society during that time, most of the rural shows would have had to have been extensively rewritten to accommodate the new realities.

And frankly, while the shows are classics, the writing had grown a little stale in the later seasons. It's likely that had most of them stayed on the air, the viewership would've dropped off anyway, forcing them to be canceled.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
showfan
Frequent Poster

So, did their strategy work. Did all the shows they put on after cancelling the rural shows have higher ratings? It just seems strange to cancel a show with high ratings.
showfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Rezny@gmail.com

And don't forget that long after Fred Silverman left CBS(he was partially responsible for the demise of the "rural"-based shows on CBS),CBS,from 1979-1985 once again struck rural gold(1979-1982,it was highly-rated)with "The Dukes of Hazzard".
Rezny@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

I just think the uppity, Harvard-graduate network executives believe "rural" shows are just so beneath them, but what they don't understand is people want brainless entertainment. Are you going to tell me that "american Idol" or "Dancing With The Stars" appeals to a "sophisticated" audience. I doubt it....
lucyandethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezny@gmail.com
And it's odd:Just one season later,1972-1973 CBS premiered the rural family drama classic "The Waltons",which at the time surprised everyone by getting good ratings and lasting 9(!)years,so rural shows were NOT dead.
I don't think you can compare rural dramas of the 70's (Waltons, Little House On The Prairie) to rural sitcoms of the 60's. They are different types of shows, both are products of their times. As the 70's came along, the landscape of TV was changing and the days of rural sitcoms were numbered, although I think they could have hung on for one more season 1971-72 instead of getting the ax after the 70-71 season.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
old grouch

If there hadn't been a rural purge, I think 'The Beverly Hillbillies' would have been cancelled anyway because it was becoming unwatchable. 'Green Acres' and 'Mayberry RFD' could have ran for another year or two. 'Family Affair', although it wasn't a rural show, was cancelled at the same time, but should have ran a lot longer. They should have taken 'My Three Sons' off instead and found a new time slot for 'Family Affair'.
old grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
retroTVfan4ever

I'm not sure why Family Affair got cancelled, but as with the rural sitcoms I think Family Affair could have lasted one more season 1971-72 and then end it there.

Speaking of Family Affair, how about Brian Keith's other series The Brian Keith Show aka The Little People? I have not seen this series since it originally aired, it's been almost 40 years I barely remember it now. 2 seasons and 48 episodes, I wonder if this series will ever be seen again, either as repeats on TV or DVD release.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
Miss Lisa

The only show that I really watch out of the ones that were cancelled at that time is Green Acres. I have watched Beverly Hillbillies, but I could only handle the episodes from the early seasons, it was good up until I think about the third season and then the fourth was talorable so I definitely agree that Beverly Hillbillies was cancelled at the right time. As for Green Acres, I could see that it was starting to go down hill. The characters were extremely exaggerated to the point where is was starting to get ridiculous and so were the story lines. I still enjoyed the show up until the last two episodes, but I think that it was a good time to end the show.

Its kind of funny to think though, my second favorite show might be responsible for the ending of my favorite show.

~♥~"No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it."~♥~
- Grace Slick

http://deviantrose112.posterous.com/
Miss Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
old grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
I'm not sure why Family Affair got cancelled, but as with the rural sitcoms I think Family Affair could have lasted one more season 1971-72 and then end it there.

Speaking of Family Affair, how about Brian Keith's other series The Brian Keith Show aka The Little People? I have not seen this series since it originally aired, it's been almost 40 years I barely remember it now. 2 seasons and 48 episodes, I wonder if this series will ever be seen again, either as repeats on TV or DVD release.
I remember this show, too, and have often wondered the same thing.
old grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

No they didn't need to be canceled the idiot Network Brass were idiots for doing so, the numbers reflected their popularity with the viewers. They didn't care what the viewers wanted or liked.

The only thing I remember about The Brian Keith show aka The Little People was the theme song it was catchy.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
TV Knowledge Fan

Default No, the show didn't HAVE to be cancelled...

...but CBS management had a mandate to eliminate virtually all "rural-based" shows between 1969 and '71 [save for "THE GLEN CAMPBELL GOODTIME HOUR" and "MY THREE SONS", which they finally eliminated from their schedule in 1972]. They wanted to reach a younger and more "urban" audience (the better to attract advertisers who wanted to focus on that clientele)...and the way they decided to do this was to gradually decrease the number of shows with "rural" appeal. Most of those kind of shows were still "Top Ten" hits, but the majority of those viewers watching were "too old"; therefore, not attractive enough to advertisers. So the network cancelled "PETTICOAT JUNCTION", "THE RED SKELTON HOUR" and "THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW" in the spring of 1970. The following season was the last for "MAYBERRY R.F.D.", "HEE HAW" {they continued to flourish in syndication**, "THE JIM NABORS HOUR" [his variety show], "THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES", "TO ROME WITH LOVE", "FAMILY AFFAIR", "THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW" (after 23 years!!!), "HOGAN'S HEROES"...AND "GREEN ACRES".

Jay Sommers knew the end was coming for "GREEN ACRES"; that's why he produced two pilots that he "slipped" into the show's format at the end of the 1970-'71 season {"The Blonde" ["CAROL"], starring Elaine Joyce, and ""Hawaiian Honeymoon" ["PAM"], starring Don Porter and Pamela Franklin**, in the hopes that CBS would pick up one of those "urban-based" ideas as a weekly series. They didn't. He tried again, two years later, with "DADDY'S GIRL", starring Eddie Albert and Dawn Lyn. Again, no sale. It was the end of an era....

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #15
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

According to "The Complete Director to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows 1946 - present (2007)" for the 1970-71 TV season, Green Acres was not even listed in the Top 30 shows. (and not for the 1969 - 70 TV season either) The show had dropped considerably in the ratings, so it was likely justified to be cancelled.

I'm not certain The Beverly Hillbillies justified being cancelled in 1971. The show likely could have ran another season, at least ratings wise, even though it was not in the Top 30 for 1970-71 either. Cast members of TBH expected to be renewed for a tenth season, supposedly. For 1969 - 1970, it was No. 18. Not sure how much it dropped to for the 1970-71 season.

Petticoat Junction had not ranked in the Top 30 since 1967, so a 1970 cancellation for it was no surprise either.
lucyandethel is offline   Reply With Quote