Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All in the Family (Sitcoms Online) / All in the Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / All in the Family Photo Gallery

All in the Family - The Complete First Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete First Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Second Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Second Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Third Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Third Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Series

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > All in the Family

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering Renť Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
EEYORE86
Occasional Poster

Default Subtitles for hard of hearing

Hi,

I've been watching All In The Family and really enjoy it. I watch it with someone who is hearing impaired and unfortunately, there are no subtitles or transcripts available for the episodes 16 to 24 of season 5 or any episodes of season 6. Does anyone know why subtitles for these episodes are unavailable ?

I have started watching the episodes on my own and typing the dialogue but it takes ages.

Is anyone else in the same process ? If so, I thought we could share the work and post the transcripts here.
EEYORE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
cfr1970
Forum Regular

Are you referring to the DVD of the show? I need closed captions myself and all the dvd seasons of All in the Family are fully closed captioned. You just need to press and activate the closed caption (CC) button on your remote control and the captions will appear.

There are no Subtitles however. To clarify to those who aren't aware, Subtitles differ from closed captioning. Some dvd's have both choices and you can choose which you prefer.

Have you tried activating the CC button on your remote while the dvd is playing?
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
EEYORE86
Occasional Poster

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately since I live in France, I can watch the DVD in a multizone DVD player but canít get the closed captions to show (maybe Only American TVs/remote controls have closed captions). On European DVDs there are no closed captions, just a choice of ę english for hard of hearing Ľ in the subtitles menu of the DVD.

Itís strange that all seasons except 5 and 6 have transcripts online: https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...-in-the-family
Old 11-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
PhoenixAcres

Are you by any chance using an HDMI cable? If your DVD player is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable the captions won't appear. You can try connecting with composite video.
PhoenixAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
cfr1970
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEYORE86 View Post
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately since I live in France, I can watch the DVD in a multizone DVD player but canít get the closed captions to show (maybe Only American TVs/remote controls have closed captions). On European DVDs there are no closed captions, just a choice of ę english for hard of hearing Ľ in the subtitles menu of the DVD.

Itís strange that all seasons except 5 and 6 have transcripts online: https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...-in-the-family
Ok I understand now. Here in the US the closed caption feature is embedded inside the televisions and turned on by the TV remote.

However, if your DVD says it has English Subtitles, that can be turned on through the DVD player remote since Subtitles are embedded inside the DVD itself.

All my All in the Family DVD's only have Closed Captions, and no Subtitles. Some shows and movies actually have both and give you the choice which to use.

I just looked online at the back of the box for the complete 9 season set to see if perhaps that one has Subtitles, and it unfortunately only has closed captions. I can completely understand your frustration because I can't count how many times i've wanted a movie or TV show only to find out it wasn't captioned or subtitled and I couldn't see it.

You would think with all today's technology EVERYTHING would include them for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing audience. If it's any consolation, i'm glad you have the other seasons subtitled, and hopefully seasons 5 & 6 will eventually include them.

By the way, that's a great website of all the scripts. I saved it in my bookmarks so I don't forget it.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
cfr1970
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAcres View Post
Are you by any chance using an HDMI cable? If your DVD player is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable the captions won't appear. You can try connecting with composite video.
The OP is in France and I believe their televisions don't have the same closed caption setups as we do in America.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
The OP is in France and I believe their televisions don't have the same closed caption setups as we do in America.
Oh okay that may be true.
PhoenixAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
EEYORE86
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAcres View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I use a Scart cable: https://www.videk.co.uk/section.php/...e-scart-cables

Iíll try composite video and see if it works.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
EEYORE86
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
Ok I understand now. Here in the US the closed caption feature is embedded inside the televisions and turned on by the TV remote.

However, if your DVD says it has English Subtitles, that can be turned on through the DVD player remote since Subtitles are embedded inside the DVD itself.

All my All in the Family DVD's only have Closed Captions, and no Subtitles. Some shows and movies actually have both and give you the choice which to use.

I just looked online at the back of the box for the complete 9 season set to see if perhaps that one has Subtitles, and it unfortunately only has closed captions. I can completely understand your frustration because I can't count how many times i've wanted a movie or TV show only to find out it wasn't captioned or subtitled and I couldn't see it.

You would think with all today's technology EVERYTHING would include them for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing audience. If it's any consolation, i'm glad you have the other seasons subtitled, and hopefully seasons 5 & 6 will eventually include them.

By the way, that's a great website of all the scripts. I saved it in my bookmarks so I don't forget it.
I agree, nowadays everything should be conceived with disabilities in mind.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:38 AM   #10
EEYORE86
Occasional Poster

Can American portable DVD players display closed captions ? If so, I could probably buy one online.