Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Honeymooners (Sitcoms Online) / The Honeymooners links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Honeymooners Photo Gallery

The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes (Blu-ray)
Buy The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes on Blu-ray
The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes
Buy The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes on DVD
The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes 1951-1957 (The Complete Restored Series)
Buy The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes 1951-1957 (The Complete Restored Series) on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 1
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 1 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 2
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 2 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 3
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 3 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 4
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 4 on DVD

Buy The Very Best of The Honeymooners / The Best of The Honeymooners - The Lost Episodes / The Honeymooners Christmas Special
The Honeymooners Valentine Special / The Honeymooners - Second Honeymoon / Fan Favorites: The Best of The Honeymooners

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Honeymooners

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-28-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
Frank Gannucci

Default Honeymooners Episode Reviews: "Curse of The Kramdens" (both versions) & more:

Since Halloween is coming up, I thought I would repost these reviews.

“Honeymooners Parody From The Red Skelton Show With Peter Lorre”

DVD: Attached to “The Norton Interviews”, “Honeymooners Lost Radio Episodes” (Letter To The Boss & Love Letter), “New Featurettes” & “Scripts For Missing Episodes” (Alice’s Birthday, Easter Hats and on some DVD box sets: "Missing Pair of Pants" [some DVDs accidentally put the script for "Alice's Birthday" for "Missing Pair of Pants.").
Air Date: 1/18/55

This opens up with a very similar opening to the Jackie Gleason show with two Glea-like girls announcing the stars names (of course Peter Lorre is among them. Each time one is done speaking; a “monster’s” arm appears, puts their hand on them and takes them away, scaring them. After that, dancers are dancing around a cemetery. They knock on headstones which causes the dead bodies (female dancers) to sit up before they are told to drop dead which they do. I think you can tell they are putting a sheet over themselves like they are going to bed. Men in black clothing appear scaring the girls. They also knock on caskets which causes the dead to sit up and dance with them. Eventually the males kill the girls and take the girls resting places by the headstones. The audience applauds.

Peter Lorre comes on stage as the curtain falls down. Peter Lorre does his best Gleason impression and even says that his orchestra leader, Davy Gross is the flower of the musical world. The camera focuses on Davy as he bops his head like Ray Bloch. Peter asks for some traveling music as he walks around the set. The music? “Funeral March.” Ha! At the end of the stage, Peter says: “And away we go!” Peter comes back on stage and says: “Now, I am even with you Jackie Gleason. I now have the information.” On Jackie Gleason’s Honeybloopers Volume 1, there is a “blooper” in which Jackie has to improvise an entire monologue due to his show running long on time. During this time, he does his imitation of Peter Lorre in which he says: “You don’t have the information for me Mr. Miller. I am supposed to have the information.” Now, its time for the skit.

A gothic Alice Kramden named Malice Kramden is grinding meat. Malice (played by Audrey of course): “I must not grind this meat too much. Ralph likes it underground.” The apartment that is used looks nothing like the real Kramden apartment. Ralph (played by Peter Lorre) comes home. Ralph: “Hello Malice”. Malice: “Your lips are cold. Where have you been?” Ralph: “Driving a hearse.” Ralph says that the traffic was so bad, his passenger got up and walked.” Ralph hopes that Ed doesn’t bother him tonight. Cue Ed Norton (played by Red Skelton) coming down with a bowling ball in his hand. He wants Ralph to play bowling with him tonight. Ralph says no. Ed says that he can’t get his fingers out of the ball. It is so obvious that the ball being used is not a real bowling ball since I doubt that Red Skelton was able to fling a real bowling ball around like he did to that fake one in this sketch. Malice suggests head-shrinking fluid. Ed says that he will do it his own way which is throwing it like a bowling ball. The ball leaves his hand. The sound effects of a ball rolling down a bowling lane with pins falling down are heard. The camera even shakes a little bit. Alice says that they have “peasant under glass” for eating. Ralph doesn’t like that and says his “one of these days...POW! Right in the kisser.” Ed describes his day in the sewer. Ralph wonders if Trixie is home. So Ed checks by putting his head out the window and yells for Trixie. Trixie drops some silver things down which means to Ed that she is home. Ed: “She is probably coming down here now.” She does. A fat Trixie (who was one of the Glea-like girls) comes down and is angry at Ed who calls Trixie his fail BLUBBER. She chases Ed around the apartment with a rolling pin. Imagine doing this in yours neighbors house. They have an argument. Ed kept her waiting at home on their fourth anniversary. (Despite the fact that as far back as 1951, the Nortons were still married. This sketch was done in 1956.) Ed even says to Trixie: “Gee, what a grouch.” Ralph tries to make peace since it’s their anniversary. He is successful. Trixie asks for Ed to put his arms all away around her. Ed: “Let’s not make a federal case.” Ralph: “Aren’t they touching Malice? We should have a waltz.” Malice turns on the radio as the Nortons dance together. Ralph says that they have a surprise for them.

They sit the Nortons down so they can have the cake that the Kramdens baked. The cake says “RIP.” Ed: “Ralph, who is this guy Rip?” Ralph puts tall candles on the table and he and Malice give the Nortons a flower each. Ralph: “Four years ago, you two were buried.” Trixie: “Not buried. Married.” Ed: “He got it right the first time. Haha!” Trixie hits Ed with her flower. They are at odds again as they throw things at each other like they are on Jerry Springer (even throwing things that don’t belong to them. Imagine doing that at your neighbor’s house.) Ed even throws the cake at Trixie. This is easily the most gothic Honeymooners sketch of all time.

Episode #176 (Syndicated Episode #5)
TV: Hour (edited)
DVD: Attached to "Mod Couple" (aka "Honeymooners In England") & "You're In The Picture":
Color & Lost Episode Title: "Curse of The Kramdens."
Air Date: 10/29/66

"Curse of The Kramdens" ('66 version):

The show opens in an Irish bar/hotel lobby in Ireland with a bunch of waiters & waitresses (the June Taylor Dancers) singing: “Hooray For The Irish!” After the song is over, the bartender is talking to a man about how a Kramden is coming to visit. The bartender then tells a story on how the curse of Shammus O’ Toole was formed and it hasn't been broken yet. The village of Dunnelin has been affected greatly by it. Part of the story is that the village is very fond of beer and was prospering because of its great beer until the curse was formed. The curse had a very bad effect on their beer and in turn the village was affected a great deal. They say if a Kramden spends the night in a castle that is the home of the Ghost of Shammus O’ Toole, the curse will be broken. He also tried to put a curse on America, but it didn't work. The mayor comes in with the news that the Kramdens are coming. The Kramdens & Nortons arrive at the bar and all the dancers greet them and sing. The mayor says that he found a Kramden because a Kramden has an eye of an eagle, the heart of a lion and the dignity of a king so he shakes Ed's hand thinking that he is Ralph. Ralph corrects him. Ed: "I only got the tooth of an elk." The girls can't believe the reception they got. The girls want to unpack. Ralph wants the biggest suite there is in he hotel (apparently the bar has a hotel). The bartender/owner: "You can have the Jackie Gleason Suite." Ed hears this and they talk about Jackie. Ralph: "Jackie is a bit pudgy. That Art has put on a few pounds too." Ha! Ed Norton wants a drink called a Hungarian Zombie. He says it is simple to make but it doesn't sound that way when he describes the way you make it. Ralph says that Ed has a little of Irish in him. Man: "Did your mitther come from Ireland?" Ed: "What's a mitther?" Ralph: "He means your mother." Ed: "No, she didn't. Neither did my britther or my sitther. It was my grandfither." Ed brings Ralph into the center of the bar and addresses everyone and says a toast to Ralph but his speech is so long, Ralph yells at him to shut up. After that, the threesome leave as the girls sing and dance.

The next scene opens with the mayor, Ralph & Ed sitting down. Ralph makes a toast to Ireland and says it is the most hospitable country in the world. Ralph sings a song about Ireland that mentions its hospitability. Ed joins in. It's a great song. The mayor talks about Ralph's great-great-grandfather and how brave he was. Ed says that Ralph is very brave. He once took on three guys single-handedly at once. Ed: "They murdered Ralph. Of course he had them outweighed by 50 pounds." Ha! They talk about Shammus O' Toole, the famous Irish ghost. The mayor asks if Ralph will spend a night in a castle. Ralph says sure. The mayor: "Tonight you will break the Old Kramden curse by spending the night with a blood-thirsty ghost. He realizes what he agreed to.

At the hotel, Ralph is a nervous wreck. Alice says that it is not necessary and the ghost and curse don't exist. Ralph: "As soon as the curse is broken, they will make beer. I'm not risking myself for beer." Alice: "I bet you would for pizza." Ed comes in with Trixie. Ed: "How's the old ghost catcher? Whooooo!" Ralph isn't amused Trixie talks about the celebration about Ralph being a hero and breaking the curse. The mayor comes in to take Ralph. Ralph is scared, he forces Ed to come. Ed is scared too. The girls and boys break into song in which some of the lyrics are: "You need not fear/we will be waiting right here." It's a great song. After that, the boys leave.

At the castle, the counterfeiters are talking about their evil schemes and they plot how they will scare Ralph and Ed. In other words, they are the “curse”. They leave as Ralph & Ed come in. Ralph: "This isn't the fun and sun capital of the world." A door closes "by itself." The boys are scared. Ed: "Is it true that a ghost can go through a wall." Ralph: "If that happens, you will see me going through that wall." They try to turn on the radio, but a scary show doesn't entertain them. After that, more screams are heard. The boys are even more scared. They try to pretend that they are in the hotel. Ed: "Too bad that it's haunted." They hear a scream. Ed: "Since we are in a hotel, let's check out." They are locked in since they can't get out of the door. They try to go through the window, but it doesn't work. They lay on the bed. Ralph asks Ed for a match, but someone else gives him one (unbeknownst to Ralph) Ralph thanks Ed but Ed tells him that he didn't light it. Uh oh! Ralph hears a scary laugh. Ralph: "Thanks for the light." More scary hi-jinks follow like Ed going through the door (that opened "by itself") on one side of the bed and not coming back. Ralph notices and goes into that door that opened "by itself" and tries to see Norton. Ed comes out on the other side and one of the counterfeiters places a fake cat near the bed. Ed thinks that Ralph is now a cat. Ralph comes out and sees what Ed is doing and tries to convince him that he's not a cat. "Ghost": "I am the Ghost of Shammus O' Toole. If your name is Kramden, beware." Ralph lies down on the bed and from Ed's blindside, the bed moves into the wall and comes back without Ralph. Ed wonders where Ralph is. Ralph comes in and when he sees Ed with a blanket on his head, he gets scared. He immediately sees that it is Norton. They hear a knock on the previously locked door and the door opens with boots walking "by themselves." They try to leave but a "ghost" scares them. The ghost goes into one of the doors. They come to the conclusion that the ghost is in between the two doors on the other side of the wall. They capture the counterfeiters and leave, supposedly breaking the curse.

The next scene opens up with a celebration at the bar/hotel lobby. The Kramdens and Nortons break out into the song Ireland song that Ralph sung earlier. They leave immediately.

At the curtain call, Jackie talks about Miami and coffee. He introduces the cast (Shelia kisses him on the cheek). After that, the credits roll with the fake palm trees in the background.

Episode #163
DVD: Attached to “Mad Dogs & Englishmen”, “Framed In Spain”, “I Remember Au Mau” & “Manager of The Baseball Team” (’57 version.)
Color & Lost Episode Title: "Curse of The Kramdens."
Air Date: 3/2/57

"Curse of The Kramdens" ('57 version):

The beginning of this episode is unique in that apparently it is the opening of the Jackie Gleason Show with fireworks in the background. Old Gold Cigarettes are the sponsor. Much like in the Color Honeymooners, a camera zooms in on a Glee Girl as they announce the stars’ names. Jack Lescoulie comes out. Jack says that the Kramdens and Nortons are in Ireland.

The show opens in an Irish bar/hotel lobby in Ireland with a bunch of waiters & waitresses (the June Taylor Dancers) singing: “Hooray For The Irish!” After the song is over, the bartender is talking to a man about how a Kramden is coming to visit. The bartender then tells a story on how the curse of Shammus O’ Toole was formed and it hasn't been broken yet. The village of Dunnellon has been affected greatly by it. Part of the story is that the village is very fond of beer and was prospering because of its great beer until the curse was formed. The curse had a very bad effect on their beer and in turn the village was affected a great deal. They say if a Kramden spends the night in a castle that is the home of the Ghost of Shammus O’ Toole, the curse will be broken. He also tried to put a curse on America, but it didn't work. The man leaves. The mayor comes in with the news that the Kramdens are coming. The Kramdens & Nortons arrive at the bar and all the dancers greet them and sing. The mayor says that he found a Kramden because a Kramden has an eye of an eagle, the heart of a lion and the dignity of a king so he shakes Ed's hand thinking that he is Ralph. Ralph corrects him. Ed: "I only got the tooth of an elk." The girls can't believe the reception they got. The girls want to freshen up. The bartender/owner: "You can have the rooms 7 & 12. Ed Norton wants a glass of milk because he’s a Merry Mouseketter. Ralph says that Ed has a little of Irish in him. Man: "Did your mitther come from Ireland?" Ed: "What's a mitther?" Ralph: "He means your mother." Ed: "No, she didn't. Neither did my britther or my sitther. It was my grandfitther." Ed says a toast to Ralph. He thinks about what he says. Now he is ready for the toast. Ed: “Down the hatch.” Everyone drinks. Ralph does that yell that he does whenever he’s in pain or sick. After that, Ralph says: “Boy, that’s smooth.” Ralph buys more drinks. The mayor then makes a toast for all three. Mayor: “To Ralph Kramden, the first Kramden to set foot in Dunnellon since 1826.” They all drink. Ralph: “Whoo!” Ralph asks about his ancestors like his great-great-great-grandfather Patrick Kramden. The mayor says that he was one of the bravest people in Ireland. Ed says that Ralph is very brave. He once took on three guys single-handedly at once. Ed: "They murdered Ralph. Of course he had them outweighed by 50 pounds." Ha! Ralph then sings a song about his ancestors: Lafette Kramden, Livingston Kramden & “Hop-A-Long” Kramden. The song was called: “A Brave & Courageous Man Was He, A Kramden Through & Through.” They talk about Shammus O' Toole, the famous Irish ghost. The mayor asks if Ralph will spend a night in a castle. Ralph says sure. Ed asks to come to. The mayor says that he can. The mayor: "Tonight you will break the Old Kramden curse by spending the night with a ghost.” He realizes what he agreed to. Ed then says that he won’t spend the night in a castle with a ghost. Ed says that Ralph will much to Ralph’s chagrin. The mayor asks to pick up Ralph and carry him to his room on their shoulders. They try but to no avail. The mayor: “Just carry his bags.” They do. Ralph yells at Ed. They go back upstairs. The dancers sing: “Hoorah For The Irish.”

At the hotel, Ralph is a nervous wreck. Alice says that it is not necessary and the ghost and curse don't exist. Ralph: "I’m no fatted calf and don’t you dare say it. As soon as the curse is broken, they will make beer. I'm not risking myself for beer." Alice: "I bet you would for pizza." Ed comes in with Trixie. Ed: "How's the old ghost catcher?” Ralph isn't amused. Ed tries to relax Ralph by saying that the ghost can’t hurt him and stab him. Ralph is more relaxed…until Ed says that all the ghost can do is scare him to death. Trixie talks about the celebration about Ralph being a hero and breaking the curse. Ralph says that he is not going. Alice asks for him to stop acting like a 3-year-old. Ralph: “All right. So, I am a 3-year-old. Put me in the Kentucky Derby. I am ready to run.” The girls and boys break into song called: “You Needn't Fear, We'll Be Waitin' Right Here" It's a great song. The mayor comes in with people to take Ralph’s suitcases to take Ralph. Ralph is scared, he forces Ed to come. Ed is scared too despite the fact that he tried to relax Ralph earlier. After that, the boys leave.

At the castle, the counterfeiters are talking about their evil schemes and they plot how they will scare Ralph and Ed. In other words, they are the “curse”. They have to scare Ralph & Ed out of there so they can continue to use the castle to make counterfeit sweepstake tickets. They leave through automatic doors that open from the top. How is that possible without the doors having electricity? Ralph & Ed come in. The boys are scared. They try to pretend that they are not in the castle and for them not think about ghosts. That doesn’t work because Ed says that their room is haunted. They continue to not think about ghosts. They try to turn on the radio that Ralph brought along, but a scary show doesn't entertain them. After that, more screams are heard. The boys are even more scared." They must remain calm. Ralph: “Whatever you do Nervous, don’t act Norton. They try to read the books that Ralph brought along but that doesn’t work either since evil laughter is heard. Ed: “Is there any truth that a ghost can go through a wall?” Ralph: “If it is, I am going through a wall.” They try to go through the window, but it doesn't work. They lay on the bed without thinking about ghosts. Ralph asks Ed for a match, but someone else gives him one (unbeknownst to Ralph) Ralph thanks Ed but Ed tells him that he didn't light it. Uh oh! Ralph hears a scary laugh. Ralph: "Thanks for the light." More scary hi-jinks follow like Ed going through the door (that opened "by itself") on one side of the bed and not coming back. Ralph notices and goes into that door that opened "by itself" and tries to see Norton. Ed comes out on the other side (and slips) and one of the counterfeiters places a fake cat near the bed. Ed thinks that Ralph is now a cat. Ralph comes out and sees what Ed is doing and tries to convince him that he's not a cat. "Ghost": "I am the Ghost of Shammus O' Toole. If your name is Kramden, beware." Ralph lies down on the bed and from Ed's blindside, the bed moves into the wall and comes back without Ralph. Ed wonders where Ralph is. Ralph comes in and when he sees Ed with a blanket on his head trying to look for Ralph, he gets scared. He immediately sees that it is Norton. They hear a knock on the door and the door opens with boots walking "by themselves." They try to leave but a "ghost" (one of the counterfeiters with the blanket on his head) scares them. Ed pulls off the blanket and assumes that he is not a ghost. The counterfeiter goes into one of the two doors on the sides of the bed. They come to the conclusion something fishy is going on and then they go into one of the doors by the bed. Both of those times, the door opens “by itself.” They capture the counterfeiters and leave, supposedly breaking the curse.

The next scene opens up with a celebration at the bar/hotel lobby. The dancers are singing: “Hoorah For The Kramdens.” The Kramdens and Nortons come in ready to leave Ireland. The mayor thanks Ralph. Ralph says that he might be as brave as his ancestors. Ed replies that he helped out the most at least. They say their “goodbyes.” The girls leave. Ralph says that there is no such thing as a ghost. Evil laughter is heard. Ralph gets scared. The boys leave immediately. The dancers sing: “Hoorah For The Irish.”

Time for the curtain call. Jackie comes out. He thanks the crowd. He also says that these shows are tougher to do than the ordinary show. (Gee, I wonder why.) Jackie asks the audience to give a hand for Ray Bloch and his orchestra which they do. He praises June Taylor and her dancers and asks the audience to give them a hand which they do. He praises the writers Marvin Marx, Walter Stone and Herb Finn. Jackie asks the audience to give them a hand which they do. He brings out the lyric writers Lynn Duddy and Jerry Bressler as well as the main cast. Jackie gets the word from Stanley to end it by giving him the cut signal. Jackie: “No wonder he said ‘cut.’ I am bleeding to death out here.” Jackie then says goodnight.

The announcer then plugs Bulova (the world leader in fine watches and radios) and asks the audience to tune in next week as Bulova presents the Jackie Gleason Show. One of the stills that were used for the advertisement was a bit lopsided. The Glee Girls all come out one by one as the announcer tries to at first to read EVERY credit line (some of which weren’t on the credit roll.) The credit roll during these shows is very primitive.

Episode #123 (Syndicated Episode #14)
TV: Half-hour.
VCR: Attached to "The Sleepwalker."
Laserdisc: Attached to “TV or Not TV”, “Funny Money”, “The Golfer”, “Better Living Through TV”, “Brother Ralph”, “Pal O’ Mine”, “A Woman’s Work Is Never Done”, “The Deciding Vote”, “The Worry Wart”, “The Sleepwalker”, “Hello Mom”, “’Twas The Night Before Xmas” & “Something Fishy.”
DVD: Attached to episodes #9-16 of the classic 39. The HD Blu-Ray set has the exact same episodes (including two versions of "Hello Mom." in which one has the original ads) and includes Best Buick Yet presentation. On Fan Favorites: The Best of The Honeymooners DVD, it is attached to "TV or Not TV", "Funny Money", "The Golfer", "The Sleepwalker", "Better Living Through TV", "$99,000 Answer" & "Young At Heart." On The Honeymooners Christmas Laughter DVD, it is attached to "TV or Not TV", "The Golfer", "'Twas The Night Before Christmas", "Better Living Through TV", & "The $99, 000 Answer":
Air Date: 12/31/55
To see the script for this episode, click here: http://www.springfieldspringfield.co...episode=s04e14

"Man From Space":

Ralph greets Ed during lunch hour. They talk about the costume contest at the Raccoon lodge dance. Ralph: "I know how to win the grand prize which is $50." Ed: "So do I. By having the best costume. Ha ha ha." Ralph: "Surely that's the answer but only we know that." They only know that? Wow. Ralph says he has the perfect idea. He's going to go out and buy a costume where all the other people at the dance are going to be wearing homemade costumes. Ed: "You think just like me." Ed says he did the exact same thing. Ralph, being Ralph, accuses Ed of stealing his idea. That's impossible but of course, Ralph doesn't think so. Ralph and Ed get into a fight. Ralph wants nothing to do with him. Ralph: "If you see me walking down the street, get on the other side." Ed: "When you walk down the street, there AIN'T no other side." Ha!

At home, Ralph greets Alice. He says he's going to make a reasonable request. He needs $10. Alice says no. Ralph: "For $5, I can go get a Billy The Kid." Alice: "I'll tell you what I will do. I'll give you a can and you can be Billy The Goat." Ha! Ralph isn't amused and is further aggravated when he finds out that the Nortons are coming for dinner. Alice says that why doesn't Ralph use his brain to make a costume. Ralph: "Because I want to win." Ed comes down in his costume which he is going as Pierre Francois de la Briosche. Ed says that Pierre was his hero and he designed and built the sewers of Paris. Gee, how surprising that Ed would go disguised as a famous sewer man. By the way, the person who designed and built the sewers of Paris was made by another person. Ralph says that the costume is ridiculous. He's going to make his own costume now. When Ed puts two black things in his nose and sneezes because of the black things, Ralph says: "Bellevue is calling." Ralph starts making the costume by taking the door of the ice box. Alice: "Now all the food is going to get spoiled." Ralph: "Just get Ed down. He will eat it." Ralph also takes knobs from the dresser." Ralph: "I need knobs and there's nothing in there that can wait until tomorrow. Where's the flashlight?" Alice: "It's in the thing that can wait until tomorrow." Ralph says that his costume will make fun of Ed's costume and he insults the person that Ed is impersonating. Ed: "You can call me anything you want, but when you insult my hero, you insult the honor of France." Ed slaps Ralph's face with a glove. Ralph kicks him out.

With only a few hours before the contest, Ralph finally unveils his costume. Ralph: "Get ready! I'm coming out!" Ralph comes out as "The Man From Space." What Ralph uses as his costume is BEYOND ridiculous. Trust me, when you see this costume for the first time, you will laugh. Here are the things that Ralph uses as his costume:

It consists of a saucepan, which he is using as a hat, the handle protruding from the back of his neck. On top of the saucepan is a light bulb which is going on and off. The icebox door is strapped around his neck and chest like a shield. It's studded with knobs he took off the bureau and three small flashlight bulbs, which also keep going on and off. Also on the icebox door is the kitchen faucet, which is attached up high with the spout facing Ralph's chin. Beneath all of this paraphernalia he wears a sweatshirt with a turtle neck collar. For pants he wears the bottoms of a pair of striped pajamas. These are tucked into shin -high galoshes. On his hands he wears a pair of thick gardening gloves. In his right hand he carries a homemade ray gun, which consists of a funnel attached to a handle of a compass saw. Over his eyes he has a huge pair of dark goggles. Ralph has a wide motorcycle rider's belt around his waist, from which flares a knee-length tunic made out of a plastic shower curtain.

With all of that details, on paper, the costume is already silly looking. Ralph: "You didn't think I could do it. Can you see the faces on them, down there when I walk in with this? What do you think?" Alice: "I think you're nuts." A piece of Ralph's costume comes off. That wasn't in the script so Jackie covers it by saying: "That's my denaturizer." Ralph: "I don't care about the money now. I just want to teach Ed a lesson." Alice goes into the bedroom. Ed comes in, takes one look at Ralph, gets scared and heads for the hills. That is a priceless moment, isn't it? I knew that I laughed. Ralph says that it's him and he says to Alice that Ed didn't know that he was the "Man From Space." Ed: "'Man From Space'? I thought we were being invaded by Sherman Tanks." Alice comes out with her costume. She's wearing a dress, licking a big lollipop. She's disguised as a cute 12-year-old girl. Ralph: "Where's the rest of the costume. You're knees are showing." Alice: "A 12-year-old girl's knees are supposed show." Ralph: "Not any 12-year-old girl that's married to me." Ed says that he is depressed. That Pierre guy didn't make the sewers, he condemned them. Trixie comes down with some bad news. Ed has to work tonight or he will lose his job. Ed is all upset now. The Nortons leave. Ralph tries to put black things in his nose and almost gets the urge to sneeze but doesn't. He eventually pays the price for putting them in his nose. Those kind of black things Ed put in his nose earlier (not the same black things though.)

At the Raccoon dance, the place is "packed." It has...eight people? Wow! What a dance, huh? Ralph steals the scene by doing his dancing. The music stops and the judges are ready to award the $50 prize for the best costume. The first runner-up is Ralph. Ralph: "I had no idea." Judge (aka "Head Raccoon"): "We choose Ralph for his costume of a pinball machine." Ralph is surprised. The second runner-up is someone else that I don't remember. His costume is a playboy of the roaring 20s. Ralph: "Nice rented costume." Just before the $50 is about to be rewarded. Ed comes in with his sewer gear. Ed: "Am I too late for the eats?" Head Raccoon: "You may be too late for the eats but not for the prize. $50 goes to Ed Norton for him being disguised as the 'Man From Space.'" Ralph is upset at Ed but calms down and enjoys himself for the rest of the night.

Episode #61 (Syndicated Episode #69) (for the 1953 version)
TV: (1953 version): Attached to "Forgot To Register."
The 1954 version is not available on TV.
VCR: (1953 version): Attached to "This Is Your Life." (1954 version):
Supposedly attached to "Box Top Kid" but it is not.
DVD: (1953 version): Attached to "My Fair Landlord", "The Cold", "Lost Job" & "Ralph's Sweet Tooth." Attached to “Cold”, “Pickles”, “Jellybeans”, “Missing Pair of Pants” & “Six Months To Live” (1952 version) on the Lost Episodes restored box set.
Air Date: 10/31/53

"Halloween Party" ('53 version):

The 1954 version is supposedly on the same video as "Box Top Kid", but MPI made an error and put the 1953 version on some or all tapes of Vol. 26.

The Kramdens and Nortons are getting dressed up to go to Ralph's boss' party. Alice is dressed as an angel. Trixie comes in dressed as a sailor. Alice gave Ralph a very unique costume to say the least. Alice: "Hey Ralph, come on out and show the costume you are going to wear." Ralph (yells from the bedroom): "I'LL BE OUT! I'LL BE OUT!" Ralph comes dressed with a sweatshirt, a hat, and a grass skirt that is pulled up to his chest. He hates his costume and asks what he is. Alice: "Your a Zulu Chief." Ralph: "If this is what a Zulu Chief wears, I hate to be a private citizen in that tribe." Ha! Trixie goes upstairs.

Ralph complains about his costume. He says Alice's costume must have been easy to make. It wasn't. Alice reveals the hard work that she had to go through to make her costume. Ralph decides to go into the bedroom. Ed comes in dressed as Clara Bow, a woman. Alice says hello to Ed. Ed: "How did you recognize me?" A mousetrap goes off in the bedroom and it has Ralph's finger in it. Ralph yells in pain and tells Ed he has a mousetrap on his finger. Ed: "What are you going as, a mouse?" Ed takes the trap off Ralph. Ralph yells to Alice as to why she has a mousetrap in he closet (where he got the mousetrap) where she should have one at another place that I can't remember. She says that she did put that mousetrap in that other place. Ralph: "Two mousetraps? Who are you showing off for?" Ed says something to Ralph in which he says: "What do you think I am, an idiot?" Ed: "Ain't that what you are supposed to be?" Ralph (to Alice): "He doesn't even know who I am." Alice: "I don't know Ralph. He came pretty close." Ha! Ralph decides that he wants to rip up his tux and go as an elegant bum. Alice says no. Ralph: "Why? I am not going to wear it again. All my brothers are married and your sister is not going to get hooked." Gee, that was nice. NOT!

Trixie comes back and paints Ed's fingertips. Ralph comes out and rips his tux and puts it on. Ed: "Ralph, you'll be the biggest bum at the party." Freddie Muller and his wife come by to pick them up and they are dressed to the teeth. Even though the boss' party is on Halloween, it's a normal dance and not a costume party. Fred sees Norton and thinks that it's Alice. Ed corrects him. Freddie and his wife leave. Ed: "Why are we sitting around like mopes for? Why don't we go out trick-or-treating?" Question: If all of them went trick-or-treating, wouldn't that be a TAD immature for people their age? The Nortons leave. Ralph apologizes to Alice. They hug and kiss.

Episode #30
DVD: Attached to “New Bowling Ball", "The Turkey", "Lost Baby", "Quiz Show" ('52 version), "Cold", "Pickles", "Jellybeans" & “Six Months To Live” (1952 version) on the Lost Episodes restored box set. Air Date: 10/25/52

"Halloween Party" ('52 version):

According to John K's Book "To The Moon", this episode was originally titled: "Masquerade." Other Honeymooners books have this episode entitled: “Question Mark” probably because they knew a Honeymooners episode took place on this date (10/25/52) but didn’t know the summary.

The 1954 version is supposedly on the same video as "Box Top Kid", but MPI made an error and put the 1953 version on some or all tapes of Vol. 26.

The Kramdens and Nortons are getting dressed up to go to Ralph's boss' party. Alice is dressed as an angel. Trixie comes in dressed as a sailor. Alice gave Ralph a very unique costume to say the least. Alice: "Hey Ralph, come on out and show the costume you are going to wear." Ralph (yells from the bedroom): "I’M COMING! I’M COMING!" Ralph comes dressed with a sweatshirt, a hat, and a grass skirt that is pulled up to his chest. He hates his costume and asks what he is. Alice: "You’re a Zulu Chief." Ralph: "If this is what a Zulu Chief wears, I hate to be a private citizen in that tribe." Ha! Trixie goes upstairs.

Ralph complains about his costume. He says Alice's costume must have cost a fortune. Alice reveals the hard work that she had to go through to make her costume. Ralph decides to go into the bedroom. Ed comes in dressed as Clara Bow, a woman. Alice says hello to Ed. Ed: "How did you recognize me?" Ralph's finger is in a mousetrap. Ralph yells in pain and tells Ed he has a mousetrap on his finger. Ed: "What are you going as, a mouse?" Ed takes the trap off Ralph. Ralph yells to Alice as to why she has a mousetrap in he closet (where he got the mousetrap) where she should have one in the kitchen. Ralph: "Two mousetraps? Who are you showing off for?" Ralph decides that he wants to rip up his tux and go as an elegant bum. Alice says no. Ralph: "Why? I am not going to wear it again. All my brothers are married and your sister is not going to get hooked." Gee, that was nice. NOT!

Trixie comes back and paints Ed's fingertips. Ralph comes out and rips his tux and puts it on. Ed: "Ralph, you'll be the biggest bum at the party." Freddie Muller and his wife come by to pick them up and they are dressed to the teeth. Even though the boss' party is on Halloween, it's a normal dance and not a costume party. Fred sees Norton and thinks that it's Alice. Ed corrects him. When Fred offers to shake Ed’s hand, he declines. Art makes a blooper when he says: “My fingernails are still dry.” Freddie and his wife leave. Ed: "Why are we sitting around like mopes for? Why don't we go out trick-or-treating?" Question: If all of them went trick-or-treating, wouldn't that be a TAD immature for people their age? The Nortons leave. Ralph apologizes to Alice. He says that he was jealous of Alice’s costume since he thinks that she looks great in that. They agree to go change and take a walk but not before they hug and kiss.

Episode #87
TV, VHS & DVD: This episode is lost.
Air Date: 10/30/54

"Halloween Party For The Boss":

The 1954 version is supposedly on the same video as "Boxtop Kid", but MPI made an error and put the 1953 version on some or all tapes of Vol. 26.

I have not seen the 1954 version of this episode but there is speculation that it might be the same as earlier versions or it might not be. Read on.

The Kramdens and Nortons are getting dressed up to go to Ralph's boss' party. Alice is dressed as an angel. Trixie comes in dressed as a sailor. Alice gave Ralph a very unique costume to say the least. Alice: "Hey Ralph, come on out and show the costume you are going to wear." Ralph (yells from the bedroom): "I'LL BE OUT! I'LL BE OUT!" Ralph comes dressed with a sweatshirt, a hat, and a grass skirt that is pulled up to his chest. He hates his costume and asks what he is. Alice: "You’re a Zulu Chief." Ralph: "If this is what a Zulu Chief wears, I hate to be a private citizen in that tribe." Ha! Trixie goes upstairs.

Ralph complains about his costume. He says Alice's costume must have been easy to make. It wasn't. Alice reveals the hard work that she had to go through to make her costume. Ralph decides to go into the bedroom. Ed comes in dressed as Clara Bow, a woman. Alice says hello to Ed. Ed: "How did you recognize me?" A mousetrap goes off in the bedroom and it has Ralph's finger in it. Ralph yells in pain and tells Ed he has a mousetrap on his finger. Ed: "What are you going as, a mouse?" Ed takes the trap off Ralph. Ralph yells to Alice as to why she has a mousetrap in he closet (where he got the mousetrap) where she should have one at another place that I can't remember. She says that she did put that mousetrap in that other place. Ralph: "Two mousetraps? Who are you showing off for?" Ed says something to Ralph in which he says: "What do you think I am, an idiot?" Ed: "Ain't that what you are supposed to be?" Ralph (to Alice): "He doesn't even know who I am." Alice: "I don't know Ralph. He came pretty close." Ha! Ralph decides that he wants to rip up his tux and go as an elegant bum. Alice says no. Ralph: "Why? I am not going to wear it again. All my brothers are married and your sister is not going to get hooked." Gee, that was nice. NOT!

Trixie comes back and pains Ed's fingertips. Ralph comes out and rips his tux and puts it on. Ed: "Ralph, you'll be the biggest bum at the party." Freddie Muller and his wife come by to pick them up and they are dressed to the teeth. Even though the boss' party is on Halloween, it's a normal dance and not a costume party. Fred sees Norton and thinks that it's Alice. Ed corrects him. Freddie and his wife leave. Ed: "Why are we sitting around like mopes for? Why don't we go out trick-or-treating?" Question: If all of them went trick-or-treating, wouldn't that be a TAD immature for people their age? The Nortons leave. Ralph apologizes to Alice. They hug and kiss.

Note: There is speculation that the 1954 version of this episode has this. Art Carney going through a window by accident during the first scene of this episode because the door was jammed. When he enters, he says to Alice: “There is more than one way to skin a cat.” By this time, the door was fixed and a knock on the door is heard. It’s a Western Union boy with a telegram for a party for Ralph’s boss on Halloween. Everyone assumes it’s a Halloween Party. They all get dressed up and when they arrive, it’s a formal dance. This would mean that the 1954 version of this episode is a half-hour version (hence the title: “Halloween Party For The Boss.”) It would make sense that it would be a longer version since there were no 15 minute sketches done during the ’54 season.

Credit I believe goes to the old Bill 'Mooners Archive, eBay.com, tv.com, Honeymooners Lost Episodes Book, tvguide.com, honeymooners.net, Honeymooners Box Set booklet Honeymooners Lost Episodes DVD booklet, Yahoo! Groups You’re A Riot! & amazon.com.
Frank Gannucci is online now   Reply With Quote