Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #1426
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcarolina View Post
Maybe the guy who did it is just crazy?? To me Bill makes no sense because if he did it, then why didnít his wife finger him for attacking her? Why have a composite of a man?? We donít know what the guys motive was, but Bill to me has no motive.
Like I said in my previous post, if Bill was having some kind of blacked out PTSD attacks that he didn't remember, then it's possible that Dorothy didn't want him and other people knowing because it's a possibility that he'd be put into a home or hospice somewhere. So she made up a person and a "composite" to keep people from thinking it was Bill.

It sounds crazy, but even if Bill was abusing her then it's possible that she didn't want to live without him and have him locked up in a home somewhere
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:34 PM   #1427
TripleG
Occasional Poster

Here's my question.

Did the harassment ever stop? Did The Wackers get to a point where they weren't being tormented prior to their deaths?
TripleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #1428
PracTz

I think it's probable that the attacker/s was a close relative or in-law that the Wackers themselves didn't want to ID to try to 'protect' their family despite their own injuries.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #1429
UMFan1981
Occasional Poster

This was a strange one. I tend to believe that this was probably an inside job of some sort. By that, I don't necessarily mean that the Wackers are implicated in the instigation of any of the events that happened (although, since the case hasn't been solved, it must be included in any number of potential possibilities out there) but I think that whoever was responsible must have been closely connected with the family in some way, perhaps a family member or friend or relative.

The fact that the perpetrator was able to get away with it even in the midst of a sting operation by the family suggests that either (1) there was a blind spot where the perpetrator could commit act and not be detected or (2) that it was someone who knew the family was going to be surveilling the house that night and worked around this somehow or (3) he just got lucky. I believe the segment indicated that the family was preparing to wind down their surveillance for that night so it's possible that they may have dropped their guard after making that decision and it may have coincided with the time that offender decided to strike.

Whilst we're on the question of the surveillance operation, I do think there are some interesting points to consider. First of all, was there any way that the walkie-talkie system they were using could be listened in to by the wider public -the way, for example, members of the public can sometimes tune in to the frequency of the police radio? You'd have to know the right frequency, sure, but it could be done if this were the case. Also, I'd be interested to know which of the family surveillance team suggested winding the operation up. It's a long shot but it could be that the particular family member in question could have been the one who was behind the whole set of incidents and he or she could have briefed the perpetrator for that night beforehand that "look, this is the time I'm going to suggest we wind things up and then you can strike then". Perhaps they had some sort of undistinguishable/imperceptible signal they used to the perpetrator, who may have been lurking out of sight in the background, that now was an opportune period of time to strike.

The whole thing is very curious. I doubt we'll ever know what really happened here
UMFan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #1430
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFan1981 View Post
This was a strange one. I tend to believe that this was probably an inside job of some sort. By that, I don't necessarily mean that the Wackers are implicated in the instigation of any of the events that happened (although, since the case hasn't been solved, it must be included in any number of potential possibilities out there) but I think that whoever was responsible must have been closely connected with the family in some way, perhaps a family member or friend or relative.

The fact that the perpetrator was able to get away with it even in the midst of a sting operation by the family suggests that either (1) there was a blind spot where the perpetrator could commit act and not be detected or (2) that it was someone who knew the family was going to be surveilling the house that night and worked around this somehow or (3) he just got lucky. I believe the segment indicated that the family was preparing to wind down their surveillance for that night so it's possible that they may have dropped their guard after making that decision and it may have coincided with the time that offender decided to strike.

Whilst we're on the question of the surveillance operation, I do think there are some interesting points to consider. First of all, was there any way that the walkie-talkie system they were using could be listened in to by the wider public -the way, for example, members of the public can sometimes tune in to the frequency of the police radio? You'd have to know the right frequency, sure, but it could be done if this were the case. Also, I'd be interested to know which of the family surveillance team suggested winding the operation up. It's a long shot but it could be that the particular family member in question could have been the one who was behind the whole set of incidents and he or she could have briefed the perpetrator for that night beforehand that "look, this is the time I'm going to suggest we wind things up and then you can strike then". Perhaps they had some sort of undistinguishable/imperceptible signal they used to the perpetrator, who may have been lurking out of sight in the background, that now was an opportune period of time to strike.

The whole thing is very curious. I doubt we'll ever know what really happened here
I wasn't sure as a kid but watching this as I got older, I've always suspected it was an inside job. Either one of the kids themselves since they would do surveillance and know when to quit, or maybe another relative or close friend that no one would suspect. If the latter, the person would use their relationship with the family to do this and know when to strike.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #1431
Stratego
Occasional Poster

Okay, I guess I have a different theory than most. I think the wife made up the attacks and the husband was most likely aware of it.
Stratego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #1432
5thBeatle
Occasional Poster

I don’t know what to think anymore, this case is just so puzzling lol.

I left my heart in England, with the girl I left behind
5thBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:43 AM   #1433
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratego View Post
Okay, I guess I have a different theory than most. I think the wife made up the attacks and the husband was most likely aware of it.
So who do you think attacked Dorothy? She had medical documents showing that she received surgery for a lacerated skull.

I thought Bill was attacking her, and she knew but kept quiet to protect her husband
Old 05-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #1434
Stratego
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook View Post
So who do you think attacked Dorothy? She had medical documents showing that she received surgery for a lacerated skull.

I thought Bill was attacking her, and she knew but kept quiet to protect her husband

It's not possible she did it to herself? Or that it was an accident and she decided to blame it on an intruder?

I can see how some wives would stay quiet to protect their husband, but I'm wondering if she would've said anything about the harrassment at all in that case
Old 05-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #1435
freakbook

Quote:
It's not possible she did it to herself? Or that it was an accident and she decided to blame it on an intruder?

I can see how some wives would stay quiet to protect their husband, but I'm wondering if she would've said anything about the harrassment at all in that case
Well in the first attack she was completely tied up so I doubt she could've done that herself. Another incident she was attacked from behind while she was outside.

Bill was a war veteran who served in WW II. I think it's possible that he had PTSD from the war and other possible mental disorders. I wouldn't be surprised if his PTSD triggered flashbacks and he attacked Dorothy because of it.

Read this article about military wives who suffer violence due to their husbands PTSD it's interesting

https://www.womensmediacenter.com/ne...es-of-veterans

Quote:
As crazy as it sounds, it's possible that she didn't want her husband in trouble or to be taken away (nursing home) so she made up an intruder. With the neighbors calling the police it's possible Dorothy lied about the "intruder" aspect to keep suspicion off of Bill. It's like Dorothy was trying to convince Bill and everyone else that some random intruder was attacking her, but it was actually Bill.

If you look at the segment Bill looks convinced someone else is doing this and calls them "kooks" while she's smiling and trying not to laugh. It's like she knows whats going on but he doesn't. Perhaps she knew why Bill was doing it (PTSD) but didn't want anyone else to know because she didn't want him in a nursing home
Old 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #1436
Stratego
Occasional Poster

Cindy James was able to tie up herself. I don't know the details of the attacks on Dorothy, so I don't know if she could've done it herself as well.

I get her accusing an intruder in the attacks, but if she wanted to protect her husband it would've been better not to report all those calls and notes and other harrassment.

Or maybe she's laughing because she thinks her husband has no clue she's responsible?

It's an interesting theory, though. I'm not completely sure what happened, but I'm pretty much convinced no one else was involved besides the two of them.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #1437
freakbook

Quote:
Cindy James was able to tie up herself. I don't know the details of the attacks on Dorothy, so I don't know if she could've done it herself as well.

I get her accusing an intruder in the attacks, but if she wanted to protect her husband it would've been better not to report all those calls and notes and other harrassment.

Or maybe she's laughing because she thinks her husband has no clue she's responsible?

It's an interesting theory, though. I'm not completely sure what happened, but I'm pretty much convinced no one else was involved besides the two of them.
It looked like Dorothy's entire body was tied in rope, but I'm not sure, but given the severity of her other attacks, I doubt she attacked herself hard enough to give herself skull lacerations.

Quote:
I get her accusing an intruder in the attacks, but if she wanted to protect her husband it would've been better not to report all those calls and notes and other harrassment
That depends. Their items went missing and then magically reappeared. If Bill had some other mental issue where he was doing this, but didn't remember then it's possible that Dorothy convinced Bill that an intruder had something to do with it so no one would suspect that Bill had mental issues.

I mean who else would steal a bunch of items just to bring them back? Who else would constantly break up into an elderly couple's home just to destroy it and leave dumb messages?

I think Dorothy was manipulating Bill and everyone else that someone else was ransacking their home and attacking her, but she knew it was Bill all along.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #1438
88keys
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook View Post
Well in the first attack she was completely tied up so I doubt she could've done that herself. Another incident she was attacked from behind while she was outside.

Bill was a war veteran who served in WW II. I think it's possible that he had PTSD from the war and other possible mental disorders. I wouldn't be surprised if his PTSD triggered flashbacks and he attacked Dorothy because of it.
I think it's possible that the first attack, where someone came to the door to use the phone and then attacked her, was legit. Subsequent attacks/harassment could have been Bill or Dorothy and Bill together.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #1439
Stratego
Occasional Poster

So you think Bill attacked Dorothy and she did all the other stuff like the threatening notes and moving stuff around? It's possible. Although Dorothy did more than was necessary to throw people off, as if she became addicted to the attention she got.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #1440
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
I think it's possible that the first attack, where someone came to the door to use the phone and then attacked her, was legit. Subsequent attacks/harassment could have been Bill or Dorothy and Bill together.
I think Bill did the first attack. I understand she was elderly and probably trusting to a fault, but who leaves a complete stranger to use their phone while they go into a kitchen? She then said she didn't hear anything he said on the phone, but if she was a close enough distance then she should've picked up some tidbit on what he was talking about.

You also thought he left but you don't hear a door shut or don't even walk him to the front door to make sure he gets out?

I also don't understand why a complete stranger who she left to use the phone would attack her and tie her up, scribble on the wall, steal items and bring them back the next day. It seems like the stranger took alot of time to do all of this, negating the fact that someone else might come home soon

Quote:
So you think Bill attacked Dorothy and she did all the other stuff like the threatening notes and moving stuff around? It's possible. Although Dorothy did more than was necessary to throw people off, as if she became addicted to the attention she got.
I don't know if she moved the items or made the notes, but I think it's a possibility Bill did that as well. The police reported that the house was thrashed on several different occasions, so I wonder if Bill did that when he attacked Dorothy.

Bill could've had violent blacked-out PTSD attacks that made him irrational and violent, and he had no recollection of what happened when he came back to. Kind of like a bi-polar attack.

If you think about it the rock with the note on it that was on the porch during the stakeout makes sense if it came from inside the house. Multiple people were in multiple vehicles watching out, so I doubt an intruder slipped through. But what if someone from the inside came on the porch to see how everything was going and then left the rock with the note on it while they were on the porch?

That person being Dorothy