Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock
CNN's History of the Sitcom Premieres July 11; Miracle Workers Returns to TBS for 3rd Season This Summer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #76
Apostapler
Forum Regular

That's right, all circlestantive.
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #77
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostapler
That's right, all circlestantive.
Oh, that infamous utterance is probably my favorite of all that has ever been said on UM.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #78
lauracrook
celinedionfan89
Frequent Poster

Default mastermind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
None of what you stated is evidence. It's circumstantial.

Yes i agree that most of it is circumstantial but the fact that don refused to take a polygraph test seems strange to me....im just saying...what has he got to hide and the fact that he said, 'the only two people i know who didn't do it was my wife and myself...everybody else in my mind is a suspect' it seems like he is trying to shift the blame from himself. Most murders cases that have been unsolved have evidence that is circumstantial and isn't enough to arrest anyone and i guess thats why don dixon hasn't been arrested...yet....
lauracrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #79
Zlatko
Forum Regular

I just had to bump up this thread. Hey Mastermind, why do you think Don Dixon would have wanted Eric Tamiyasu dead?
Zlatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #80
Apostapler
Forum Regular

I think it's a Single White Female sort of thing, with Don Dixon being the infatuated, obsessive "friend". Maybe he was secretly attracted to Eric and couldn't handle the fact that Eric was dating girls.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #81
Mastermind

Quote:
I think it's a Single White Female sort of thing, with Don Dixon being the infatuated, obsessive "friend". Maybe he was secretly attracted to Eric and couldn't handle the fact that Eric was dating girls.
Or it could be that Don was a potential fraud artist that was about to use Eric as a victim.

I don;t think this a crime of passion. The fact that the crime has the earmarks of a professional job (three bullets to the head, waiting till the girlfriend left) makes me think there is some financial gain to Eric's death.

If it was a crime of passion and Eric was jealous why wait for his girlfriend to leave?

Apostapler, one thought I had is that perhaps it was feared that Eric was going to expose Don in some way. Maybe Eric was going to expose Don as a homosexual? Perhap Eric knew of something potentially illegal that Don was getting into.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #82
Zlatko
Forum Regular

One interesting aspect about the case is the way Don Dixon portrays himself as being close to Eric. There could be something to that. Eric Smith said that Don lived in a fantasy world, i.e. Don thought Eric fancied him. As some people have already mentioned, Don might have wanted to have a relationship with Eric, but Eric turned him down. So, he killed him as a result.
Zlatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #83
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Dixon and Sherriff Wampler were in on it IMO. Dixon could have had a variety of reasons to kill Eric as mentioned above. Wampler probably knew about his wife's affairs with Eric and maybe sent Dixon out to do a hit on him. Maybe Dixon had some dirt that Wampler had on him but would let him off the hook if he did this one thing. Therefore a "burned bed" won't have any of Wampler's wife hair or DNA on it. Wampler is a sheriff and he certainly has insight on how to pass a polygraph while Dixon is told to just outright refuse it.

Think about it, in the movie "Street Kings" Keanu Reeves says "we're the police, we can do anything we want." In other words, they can relay a story of what happened. If there is a murder, they can treat it as a suicide. If a cop is involved they can cover it up. This case reeks of that.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #84
Apostapler
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatko
One interesting aspect about the case is the way Don Dixon portrays himself as being close to Eric. There could be something to that. Eric Smith said that Don lived in a fantasy world, i.e. Don thought Eric fancied him. As some people have already mentioned, Don might have wanted to have a relationship with Eric, but Eric turned him down. So, he killed him as a result.
Yeah, similar theory, a la "American Beauty" (I know, I like using movie references.) Man trying to come out of closet comes out to friend, gets turned down, murders guy that turned him down because he's afraid.

For bonus drama, maybe Wampler was part of this bizarre love triangle.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #85
Hambone2421

Quote:
Burning a bed is not like throwing a tarp on a body or cleaning up blood on the pavement with a hose.

As many of you who have had to move their mattresses out of your homes. It's a pretty big deal to do so. Much less then to burn it?

You have to put forth a lot of effort and have the help of someone else to do it.

There is no rational reason to take a bloody bed bring it outside and burn it other than to compromise the crime scene.

I also find it odd that Wampler would choose the person who was first at the seen to help him do this rather than have a deputy help him.

Think about it :why would you have a civilian that could compromise or implicate you in the murder?

I'm sure that his deputies would not say a thing if they were ordered to do so? Wampler wouldn;t even have to explain his reasons for doing so.

The only reason to not wait for a deputy to do so would be that the Sheriff wanted to burn the bed before forensics or a coroner arrived. (I assume the bed was burned before this? Am i wrong? )

Sheriff Wampler to me is 100% guilty of some part in Eric's murder.

Plus, why burn the bed??

He could have easily put it aside or left it somewhere out of sight of the Tamiyasu's?!! I don;t think he needed to risk setting a fire and destroying evidence just to keep the damn thing out of their sight?!!!

As for Don Dixon.

I think there is more to their relationship than just him selling fertilizer.

I wonder if there was some busines being done "off" the books that Don Dixon had an interest in.

Perhaps something illegal.
I completely agree with you and thought that exact thing when I first saw the episode. Why, if you want to burn a bed, would you not ask a fellow officer or deputy to it?? Why would you ask some random guy who claims to be a friend of the victim. I think both Dixon and Wampler were either in on it or know who did it and aren't doing a thing about it. I don't believe this case will ever be solved until a new sheriff is elected or until some fresh eyes get a look at this case, preferably at the federal level.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #86
Hambone2421

I have to bump this thread. Does anyone think that if a new sheriff is elected, maybe this case will end up being solved or is it simply a case of small town corruption?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #87
Mastermind

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to bump this thread. Does anyone think that if a new sheriff is elected, maybe this case will end up being solved or is it simply a case of small town corruption?
No, for these reasons.

1. If Sheriff Wampler was implicated in the murder, that would be extremely bad press for the department. Police tend to want to avoid that type of thing.

2. There are still probably deputies loyal to Sherff Wampler. Such an investigation could cause rifts in the department. Not a good idea for a new Sheriff trying to win over his deputies.

3. I hate to say this but there is probably some "poison pill" election agreement that was placed that if the new deputy was elected, the Eric Tamiyasu case would not be investigated. This poison pill could be some corruption on the new Sheriff. If Eric Tamiyasu's case would be opened up, the "dirt" on the new Sherriff would be revealed.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #88
Hambone2421

Quote:
No, for these reasons.

1. If Sheriff Wampler was implicated in the murder, that would be extremely bad press for the department. Police tend to want to avoid that type of thing.

2. There are still probably deputies loyal to Sherff Wampler. Such an investigation could cause rifts in the department. Not a good idea for a new Sheriff trying to win over his deputies.

3. I hate to say this but there is probably some "poison pill" election agreement that was placed that if the new deputy was elected, the Eric Tamiyasu case would not be investigated. This poison pill could be some corruption on the new Sheriff. If Eric Tamiyasu's case would be opened up, the "dirt" on the new Sherriff would be revealed.
I don't think Wampler was involved in the murder. Maybe he didn't like Eric and knew that he had an affair with his wife. I personally think that of the suspects UM profiled, Don Dixon is the most likely to have done it. I think that Dixon killed Eric for reasons unknown to us. Maybe he did have feelings for Eric that weren't reciprocated as an earlier poster stated. I then believe that Wampler, who knew his wife had been in the same bed as Eric, asked Dixon to destroy the bed to conceal any evidence that may lead to his wife having been in the bed and thus turning him into a suspect with "jealous husband" as the motive. Either way, I dont believe this case will ever be solved or even looked at as long as Wampler is in charge.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #89
Mastermind

Quote:
I then believe that Wampler, who knew his wife had been in the same bed as Eric, asked Dixon to destroy the bed to conceal any evidence that may lead to his wife having been in the bed and thus turning him into a suspect with "jealous husband"
Interesting thought. The problems I have with that theory is...

1. How would Wampler even know that they slept together in that bed? They could have cheated in a hotel or his own bed. Heck, how does he know that they slept together that recently enough to leave trace evidence? Would he even think about that at the time?

2. Why would it be that unusual for their to be women;s hair or DNA on Eric's bed? He apparently had a very active social life. The women's DNA would not necessarily be considered the DNA of the suspect. Not to mention that the only person Eric could have slept with that night was the women that visited him that night. DNA tests would show that the evidence was there later and was the result of sex. The DNA would not be considered the DNA of his killer, it would not be actively searched for.

3. Why destroy the whole bed? Most of the evidence of a women in his bed would be in the sheets. He could simpky have taken the sheets with him

4. The cat is kind of out of the bag to begin with. Apparently there were already rumours of the infidelity. Sheriff Wampler was closing the barn door after the horses came out.

5. Keep in mind that the affair was based on the scantiest of evidence. Allegedly Eric was seeing a Polynisian woman and the Sheriff's wife is Polynisian. That's really not that strong a lead. There are lots of Polynisian women in that part of the country. Also add that it's Don Davis who echoed that sentiment much in the same way he brought up the other Eric's money issues.

6. Again...does NOBODY find it unusual that the two biggest suspects in this case assisted with the destruction of a vital piece of evidence.

7. Why would Sherriff Wampler be worried about being blamed for the murder. He has an alibi. Burning the bed was what brought attention to himself.

Quote:
Either way, I dont believe this case will ever be solved or even looked at as long as Wampler is in charge.
Technically the FBI could investigate this case as local corruption.

4. I'm sure Sherrif Wampler even considered the idea that
Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #90
Hambone2421

Quote:
Interesting thought. The problems I have with that theory is...

1. How would Wampler even know that they slept together in that bed? They could have cheated in a hotel or his own bed. Heck, how does he know that they slept together that recently enough to leave trace evidence? Would he even think about that at the time?
I don't think he knew for a fact but when you have a murdered man that was rumored to have slept with your wife, he may have wanted to get rid of both the bed and the sheets to make sure his wife's DNA wasn't found there.

Quote:
4. The cat is kind of out of the bag to begin with. Apparently there were already rumours of the infidelity. Sheriff Wampler was closing the barn door after the horses came out.
Thats the point I was alluding to. He got rid of any evidence that may have had his wife's DNA on it. Plus, he may have been covering his own hide. He is married to his wife, which means he is around her and her clothing a lot. What if his wife had worn an outfit that had a piece of Wamplers hair on it, over to Eric's house, then the hair accidentally gets left on Eric's bed when she takes her clothes off. Now you have his DNA there even though he wasn't there. Far fetched? Absolutely, but I think he was trying to get rid of any and all evidence that may have been there of either him or his wife.

Quote:
6. Again...does NOBODY find it unusual that the two biggest suspects in this case assisted with the destruction of a vital piece of evidence.
I find it unusual and to be honest, the only thing that makes me think the sheriff may have done it is the fact that whoever killed Eric, tried to burn his body, if I remember correctly, trying to destroy evidence. Well the first thing the sheriff did was order the bed destroyed by fire. If he had been the murderer, maybe he realized that his first try of setting the bed and Eric on fire didn't work, so now he needs to try to destroy the bed.

Quote:
7. Why would Sherriff Wampler be worried about being blamed for the murder. He has an alibi. Burning the bed was what brought attention to himself.
I think he was more so worried about his wife. If she did have an affair with Eric, there could have been DNA on his bed. I think he was trying to cover it up for her sake. I don't think she did it, but he didn't even want the possibility of her as a suspect.