Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
jy1977
Occasional Poster

Default How many criminals from Unsolved Mysteries Episodes are still serving their time?

From what I can gather most criminals who were caught and convicted as result of Unsolved Mysteries have since been released or have died. However, there a few that remain in jail.

Example - David Gordon Smith from Oklahoma. - He shot and killed a police chief in a robbery. He escaped and was recaptured. David Gordon Smith remains in jail to this very day.
jy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
jy1977
Occasional Poster

Stuart Heaton is another. Stuart is in Illinois and was convicted of killing Crystal Nabb. He got life. He has served almost 30 years. Stuart claims he's innocent but damning DNA tests seemed to prove otherwise. Neverthless, you would think after 30 years, there might have been some movement in the case if Stuart is really innocent. I guess Stuart's family and the legal profession has given up on him.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #3
nicoge21
Frequent Poster

Quite a few are still alive and in prison.
nicoge21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #4
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Most well known one is probably Joe DeAngelo the EAR/GSK.

Other notables:

1. Johnny Salazar Stewart also comes to mind, he was Patrick Michael Mitchell's accomplice in the Gainsville bank robbery, I think he's still in jail, he got forty years and he's been in jail thirty. I'm surprised he hasn't been paroled honestly.

2. Rick Church, who murdered his girlfriend's parents and tried to kill her is still in jail.

3. the Talbott guy who was Jay Cook and Tanya Van Cuylenborg's killer

I was about to say Ira Einhorn as well, as he was finally indicted back to the US for killing Holly his gf. But I checked and he just died this year back in April apparently.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
Jon
Forum Regular

A few examples -

Cheryl Holland and Eddie Wooten are still in prison in TN for murdering her aunt and uncle.

Darlie Routier is on death row in TX.

Alva Hank Worley, who has Kenneth McDuff’s accomplice in the abduction and murder of Colleen Reed, is still in prison.

Bill Blackwell, for the murder of Neal Jennings

Jesse James Hollywood is serving a life sentence

Last edited by Jon; 12-27-2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: A word
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
jy1977
Occasional Poster

Yes, I think many of these individuals are from some of the later seasons of Unsolved Mysteries. I can find very few from the earlier 80's and early 90's seasons of Unsolved Mysteries. John Mooney who killed TK Hardy was from an an early season on Unsolved mysteries but he just got paroled in 2020.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoge21 View Post
Quite a few are still alive and in prison.
Wasn't at least one or 2 given the death penalty?
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
jOHnNyD
Occasional Poster

Michael Swango is still serving his life sentence in a federal supermax in Colorado.
jOHnNyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy1977 View Post
Stuart Heaton is another. Stuart is in Illinois and was convicted of killing Crystal Nabb. He got life. He has served almost 30 years. Stuart claims he's innocent but damning DNA tests seemed to prove otherwise. Neverthless, you would think after 30 years, there might have been some movement in the case if Stuart is really innocent. I guess Stuart's family and the legal profession has given up on him.
That guy was so arrogant/obnoxious it amazes me he had any supporters. DNA tests were initially 562 thousand to one which there could be some doubt over, but more modern testing in 2001 pegged it at 31 billion to one in a worldwide population of just over 6 billion back then-yet still some people think he is innocent.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #10
jy1977
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
That guy was so arrogant/obnoxious it amazes me he had any supporters. DNA tests were initially 562 thousand to one which there could be some doubt over, but more modern testing in 2001 pegged it at 31 billion to one in a worldwide population of just over 6 billion back then-yet still some people think he is innocent.
Stuart may still be innocent. He only got one more DNA test. It could have been flawed. I think Stuart was railroaded from minute one.

I'm no lawyer and may be Illinois is an exemption, but it seems to me you can't just cuff people from their homes and haul them down to the police station and start questioning them and taking pictures of their hands.

At the very least, they needed a warrant to arrest Heaton is the first place, and Miranda certainly would have applied. Heaton was in custody and they were asking him questions and taking pictures. You can't do that without invoking Miranda.

Heaton should have immediately asked for a lawyer and that would have ended it.

Unfortunately, for Heaton, he probably only had a public defender who provide just lack luster defense. By the time, Heaton brought any of this up on appeal it was too late.

Last edited by jy1977; 12-27-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:51 AM   #11
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy1977 View Post
Stuart may still be innocent. He only got one more DNA test. It could have been flawed. I think Stuart was railroaded from minute one.

I'm no lawyer and may be Illinois is an exemption, but it seems to me you can't just cuff people from their homes and haul them down to the police station and start questioning them and taking pictures of their hands.

At the very least, they needed a warrant to arrest Heaton is the first place, and Miranda certainly would have applied. Heaton was in custody and they were asking him questions and taking pictures. You can't do that without invoking Miranda.

Heaton should have immediately asked for a lawyer and that would have ended it.

Unfortunately, for Heaton, he probably only had a public defender who provide just lack luster defense. By the time, Heaton brought any of this up on appeal it was too late.
So guilt is about procedure rather than reality? We need another DNA test despite both of them showing he is guilty, with the second one showing the odds of it not being him were about five times more than the number of people on earth? I get there was doubt from 1994 to 2001, but the 2001 test showed he is where he belongs. Heaton apparently refused to take the stand & put his version of events over as it is 'against his relgion' so he has nobody to blame but himself.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #12
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
So guilt is about procedure rather than reality? We need another DNA test despite both of them showing he is guilty, with the second one showing the odds of it not being him were about five times more than the number of people on earth? I get there was doubt from 1994 to 2001, but the 2001 test showed he is where he belongs. Heaton apparently refused to take the stand & put his version of events over as it is 'against his relgion' so he has nobody to blame but himself.
I thought after the 2001 test it was considered a closed case? Is there any reason to doubt?

One guy I’m glad is in prison...George Washington Hicks....for killing Roxanne and Christopher Jeeves. This was a case that took years to solve, investigators never gave up and finally caught him. I think I’ve read somewhere that he denied the charge, in spite of overwhelming evidence and his repetitive history of violent sexual assault. Anyway I also heard that he was actually going to be up for parole at some point, so the DA office charged him with Christopher’s murder later to secure another life sentence. He definitely earned that sentence for what he did. Absolute monster he is.

Clayton Wagner, the abortion clinic domestic terrorist. He said god made him invisible as to be able to escape prison, but he was caught in 2002 by a tipster that looked at his fbi picture. He was also an anthrax prankster.

Last edited by DALLASTEXAN!!; 12-28-2020 at 03:07 PM.
DALLASTEXAN!! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #13
jy1977
Occasional Poster

Quote:
It was probably a mistake Heaton did not testify. Heaton is likely innocent and the dna sample they had to work with has lead to flawed results. They never were able find any other forensics that tied Heaton to the crime and I think that was a real problem. Even in the OJ Simpson case, they found forensic trace in OJ's truck. They would have found something.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:09 AM   #14
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

I'm pretty sure Strickland's still locked up, although the trashy Girlfriend who was in on their crime got released years ago.
Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:55 AM   #15
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkys-Place View Post
I'm pretty sure Strickland's still locked up, although the trashy Girlfriend who was in on their crime got released years ago.
As repulsive her part in his crime was it is clear she was a grooming victim of a paedophile & she likely gravitated toward him because of her overbearing parents-she was only allowed to leave the house to go to church & to the ball game. Her friends stated she got the attention from him that she didn't from her parents-which is an all too familiar story. I highly doubt she knew Strickland's intention was to murder Elmer & she was patently trapped with him due to having a child & under his control-she was only 16 or just turned 17 when this happened.