Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #16
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlins3 View Post
I don't think that's the case with Norman. It seemed as though he likely would have had access to several different types of guns. Did they say the type of rifle he carried?
I'm not sure if the make, model, or even the caliber was specified.

What makes you think it wasn't the case with Norman? As a boy who hunted I presume he learned from a father who also hunted and likely owned guns of his own, but I don't see why that precludes Norman from committing suicide with his own rifle.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #17
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
A gun shot through the temple via accidental discharge (especially if he fell out of a tree) would be EXTREMELY unlikely under any circumstance.
I agree with this. I think the pattern of injury is far more consistent with a suicide or homicide.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
Suicide, conditionally.

https://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards...=147839&page=8

Post #113. Blood splatter was found on Norman's left hand. The round traveled right to left through his head, and left powder burns around the entrance wound (evidence that the end of the barrel was held at extremely close range--inches or less). Provided that he was right-handed, his left hand almost certainly steadied the barrel of the rifle. Admittedly, I don't know what his handedness actually was, but given that right-handedness is more common I'm comfortable presuming that's what Norman had until I have evidence to the contrary.

Also, the wound on the vertex of the head is simply described as "recent." It could have happened several days before his death, for all we know.
Okay, I had forgot about the coroner's report which not only noted the powder burns by his temple, but also blood spatter found on his left hand. Definitely suicide.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #19
marlins3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
Okay, I had forgot about the coroner's report which not only noted the powder burns by his temple, but also blood spatter found on his left hand. Definitely suicide.
Not necessarily. The bullet entered his right temple. It's possible he lifted his left hand in an attempt to thwart off attackers (his right arm may have been temporarily incapacitated). This could also account for blood spatter on his left hand.

The Ladners stated the bullet they found was a larger caliber than Ladner's gun would hold. It is very possible other bullet casings and bullets themselves (obviously mangled) would be in the ground nearby as the Ladner's hunted on the land and very likely used it for target practice as well.

The Ladners also stated the bullet that was returned to them was not the bullet they found. At the very least, there was sheer incompetence on the part of LE. Anybody who has spent considerable time around fire arms and knows gun calibers can identify the caliber of a bullet casing by looking at it. The incorrect casing returned to the Ladners was either the result of lost evidence (the correct casing was misplaced) or an inability to identify a correct casing (inexcusable). At the most sinister, the action is the result of a cover up.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #20
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Not necessarily. The bullet entered his right temple. It's possible he lifted his left hand in an attempt to thwart off attackers (his right arm may have been temporarily incapacitated). This could also account for blood spatter on his left hand.
There was no evidence found at the scene to indicate anyone other than Norman being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlins3
The Ladners stated the bullet they found was a larger caliber than Ladner's gun would hold. It is very possible other bullet casings and bullets themselves (obviously mangled) would be in the ground nearby as the Ladner's hunted on the land and very likely used it for target practice as well.
They found a bullet in an area where Norman liked to target practice. Something tells me that people other than Norman would have done the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlins3
The Ladners also stated the bullet that was returned to them was not the bullet they found. At the very least, there was sheer incompetence on the part of LE. Anybody who has spent considerable time around fire arms and knows gun calibers can identify the caliber of a bullet casing by looking at it. The incorrect casing returned to the Ladners was either the result of lost evidence (the correct casing was misplaced) or an inability to identify a correct casing (inexcusable). At the most sinister, the action is the result of a cover up.
Or...maybe...the Ladner's were mistaken and it was in fact the bullet that they discovered? The Ladner's gave the bullet to a ballistics expert, were they also involved in this "sinister cover up" as well? This same ballistics expert who could not rule out Norman's gun as the originator of said bullet?
The police did not handle the bullet discovered by the Ladner's. And it was found partially buried in the ground.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #21
thinwhiteduke74
Frequent Poster

Parents have, understandably, trouble accepting the suicide of their children.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #22
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
There was no evidence found at the scene to indicate anyone other than Norman being there.
What evidence would there be? Other than footprints which you wouldn't see if it was hard packed soil, or else the perp dropping something.

You can think what you want, but the truth is none of us were there so no one knows for sure, and the arguments for suicide are far from flawless.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:18 AM   #23
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur View Post
What evidence would there be? Other than footprints which you wouldn't see if it was hard packed soil, or else the perp dropping something.
Footprints, absence of blood spatter, shell casings, etc.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #24
TrueCrimeCanuck
Occasional Poster

One thing I always thought was interesting, especially with the suicide theory, was watching the re-enactment of the crime scene. The gun is broken (quite weirdly too, it almost looks disassembled) and the other officer at the scene says "it looks like it's been broken and repaired before". Of course, UM wasn't always consistent with its re-enactments being super close to everything that happened, but how could the gun have been broken in this manner if he committed suicide? The only think I could think of would it be it falling from his hand and breaking from the fall or recoil, but this would produce a very different break than what was seen in the episode.

So I'm willing to discount the presence of the break as shown (perhaps artistic license), but could the gun have had enough recoil to break from Norman firing it?
Attached Images

TrueCrimeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #25
marlins3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueCrimeCanuck View Post
One thing I always thought was interesting, especially with the suicide theory, was watching the re-enactment of the crime scene. The gun is broken (quite weirdly too, it almost looks disassembled) and the other officer at the scene says "it looks like it's been broken and repaired before". Of course, UM wasn't always consistent with its re-enactments being super close to everything that happened, but how could the gun have been broken in this manner if he committed suicide? The only think I could think of would it be it falling from his hand and breaking from the fall or recoil, but this would produce a very different break than what was seen in the episode.

So I'm willing to discount the presence of the break as shown (perhaps artistic license), but could the gun have had enough recoil to break from Norman firing it?

VERY highly unlikely the gun would break from firing it unless it was very shoddily put back together.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:27 AM   #26
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Footprints, absence of blood spatter, shell casings, etc.
There would only be shell casings if a shotgun was used. Norman was killed either by a handgun or a rifle.

Besides, who knows what was there? I think the board puts way to much faith in law enforcement in to many instances. a lot of it is incompetent or corrupt.

Its just not a common things for 17 year old kids to commit suicide without a clear motive. Nothing came to the surface in Norman's case.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #27
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur View Post
I think the board puts way to much faith in law enforcement in to many instances. a lot of it is incompetent or corrupt.
For years the board put way too much faith in UM, who has shown time and time again to slant segments towards a certain conclusion while leaving out many pertinent details.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #28
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
For years the board put way too much faith in UM, who has shown time and time again to slant segments towards a certain conclusion while leaving out many pertinent details.
Yuuuup.

There are cases that have been featured on UM in which there's a very strong case for law enforcement corruption (Michael Rosenblum, Jay Given) or incompetence (Harold and Thelma Swain) being at the heart of the mystery, but I can't count the Norman Ladner case among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur
There would only be shell casings if a shotgun was used.
This is untrue.

Handgun and rifle cartridges consist, basically, of a projectile and a casing. Upon pulling the trigger on such a weapon as a modern handgun or rifle, the firing pin contacts the primer of that cartridge, which then ignites the propellant within and sends the projectile forward out of the casing. The projectile is what contacts the target. The casing itself simply falls to the ground. Trust me, I've "policed" enough 5.56 rifle and 9 mm handgun "brass" on enough fire ant-infested ranges in my day to be sure.

And perhaps you're well aware and I've inadvertently insulted your knowledge base (apologies if that's the case--no pun intended), and the argument comes largely down to the semantics of shell as I suppose there are some who insist the term is proper for only shotgun shells rather than rifle and pistol casings. However, I've always heard and used the terms interchangeably. \_(ツ)_/
Old 09-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #29
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
VERY highly unlikely the gun would break from firing it unless it was very shoddily put back together.
I agree. If the rifle was found in such a condition, that certainly raises additional questions.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #30
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
I agree. If the rifle was found in such a condition, that certainly raises additional questions.
This might be a reason why they initially suspected an accident.