Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
justins5256
Forum 3K Club Member

Default Interesting article on the Susan Jacobson murder

Some of you may recall this was one of the cases that psychic Dorothy Allison helped solve and that was profiled in the sixth special...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...eated_arg.html
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house
Forum 3K Club Member

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Some of you may recall this was one of the cases that psychic Dorothy Allison helped solve and that was profiled in the sixth special...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...eated_arg.html
Ooh! Awesome find! Thanks!
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
hostedbyrobertstack
Frequent Poster

I just saw this article recently, as I was doing quite a bit of research into some of the Dorothy Allison cases from the UM episode. I am sure everyone knows, but Dorothy Allison actually had a book, from around 1980, titled "A Psychic Story" that delves into much more detail of the cases profiled on the show, as well as some other cases she was involved with.
hostedbyrobertstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
RobinW

Very interesting article! The UM segment never went into details about Susan's relationship with her boyfriend and the motive for the murder, so I appreciated getting the full backstory.

I also found a new article from earlier this year about Dempsey Hawkins. Apparently, he's been denied parole nine times, but his lawyers are trying to get him out because they believe the parole board never considered his juvenile status at the time of the murder. Hawkins is a native of England, so even if he does get released, he's probably be subject to deportation:
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ling_girl.html
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
justins5256
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Very interesting article! The UM segment never went into details about Susan's relationship with her boyfriend and the motive for the murder, so I appreciated getting the full backstory.

I also found a new article from earlier this year about Dempsey Hawkins. Apparently, he's been denied parole nine times, but his lawyers are trying to get him out because they believe the parole board never considered his juvenile status at the time of the murder. Hawkins is a native of England, so even if he does get released, he's probably be subject to deportation:
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ling_girl.html
Interesting. I think one of the articles mentioned that Susan's father has attended the hearings every year to object to Hawkins' release. I can't help but wonder how instrumental this has been in keeping Hawkins in prison.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Just read this, indeed very interesting.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
WishfulDreamer
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Interesting. I think one of the articles mentioned that Susan's father has attended the hearings every year to object to Hawkins' release. I can't help but wonder how instrumental this has been in keeping Hawkins in prison.
Sadly, he has since been paroled. He was deported back to the UK.
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=356724
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
Allierain
Forum Old-Timer
Frequent Poster

Hmm. So she was barely 14, had already been pregnant and undergone an abortion, and they wanted their daughter to take a break from this guy and see other people?? She was 14, she was a child. Why is someone of that age getting pregnant and having abortions, did they not take the time to....I don't know....PARENT Susan and teach her about sexuality and being a healthy teen? It's funny how her parents evidently didn't give a care until after she was missing; THEN they gave a hoot.

Had they been more active as parents before in Susan's life, maybe their daughter would still be here. I have sympathy for Susan and I'm glad the she was found so she could be laid to rest appropriately. I'm also glad Hawkins is no longer in the US, and I understand that he was the one who ultimately killed her. But the parents? They shouldn't get off so easily IMO. After the year I have had I am tired of seeing crummy parenting ignored and even rewarded. It is not normal or acceptable at all.
Allierain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #9
Columbogirl
Occasional Poster

I donít think this article has been posted (If it has, Iím sorry for the repeat). Dempsey Hawkins is the stuff of nightmares. I just hope she continues to keep a knife under her pillow.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/06/teach...sages-8316017/
Columbogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allierain View Post
Hmm. So she was barely 14, had already been pregnant and undergone an abortion, and they wanted their daughter to take a break from this guy and see other people?? She was 14, she was a child. Why is someone of that age getting pregnant and having abortions, did they not take the time to....I don't know....PARENT Susan and teach her about sexuality and being a healthy teen? It's funny how her parents evidently didn't give a care until after she was missing; THEN they gave a hoot.

Had they been more active as parents before in Susan's life, maybe their daughter would still be here. I have sympathy for Susan and I'm glad the she was found so she could be laid to rest appropriately. I'm also glad Hawkins is no longer in the US, and I understand that he was the one who ultimately killed her. But the parents? They shouldn't get off so easily IMO. After the year I have had I am tired of seeing crummy parenting ignored and even rewarded. It is not normal or acceptable at all.
Wow. You are making a TON of assumptions based on small bits of information despite having no knowledge of how all the dots are connected. Did you live with the Jacobson family in the 70's to observe how exactly they parented their children? (I'm guessing probably not.) Who are you to say they never bothered to take the time to PARENT Susan? How do you know this?

Not all parents of pregnant teenagers are horrible parents who refuse to get involved in their children's lives. You can be the most loving and supportive parent in the world and you can educate your child to be a heathy teen until you're blue in the face but *some* kids are still going to do what they want to do despite all your efforts. This happens to many parents good, bad and all over the scale.

Look, I hate crumby parenting as much as the next person but you're not exactly giving the Jacobsons the benefit of the doubt. Especially when you have to consider that Hawkins most likely would have killed Susan even if she hadn't gotten pregnant by him because he couldn't handle her breaking up with him.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
Stratego
Occasional Poster

Hmm, I wouldn't exactly say she "helped" solve the case when Susan's body was discovered by 3 boys almost 2 years later by mere chance.
Stratego is offline   Reply With Quote