Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock
CNN's History of the Sitcom Premieres July 11; Miracle Workers Returns to TBS for 3rd Season This Summer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Truth Sleuth
Someone, somewhere knows
Frequent Poster

Default Son of Sam - conspiracy or lone gunman?

This has been nagging at me lately and I want to get some input. For a time I was a true believer that there were conspiracies to kill both John F. Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy. Then I read Gerald Posner's excellent book Case Closed and decided that there wasn't a conspiracy in the JFK case after all. Shortly thereafter I read Dan Moldea's The Killing of Robert F. Kennedy and decided there wasn't a conspiracy in that case either. And please don't try to convince me otherwise, because 1) that's not the purpose of this thread and 2) I have firmly decided to focus on reading about how both men lived, rather than how they died.

However, one case where I can't seem to get past the conspiracy thing is Son of Sam. If you've seen the UM segment or read the book that inspired it, Maury Terry's The Ultimate Evil, it just doesn't make sense that David Berkowitz did all the killings himself. For one, only two of the five composite sketches even resemble him. Second, two of the people Terry believes were in on it with Berkowitz, brothers John and Michael Carr, died in suspicious deaths.

What does everyone else think?
Truth Sleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
Guardian
Forum Regular

I am uncertain of this case as well. I tend to believe he acted alone. But, that being said, it is odd that while only two of the composite sketches resemble David, that at least one of the sketches resembles, very strongly, John Carr.

As we know witness descriptions and memories are not always reliable. But having a sketch not only not look like the killer, but also closely resemble a close associate of his, that seems more than coincidence.

Profiler John Douglas has interviewed David and he seems confident that he acted alone, so in the end I tend to feel the same way. Then again, IMO Douglas has been wrong in the past. He feels that Lee Oswald acted alone (not to bring up the other part of your topic) but I couldn't disagree with that more. So while I agree with Douglas that David likely acted alone, I still feel that as a profiler, he is not infallible.

And just because I did touch on it slightly, I won't try to sway your opinion as you are entitled to it. Gerald Posner gets way too much credibility given to him for his book. His conclusions are selective and he ignores anything at all that could contradict his findings. I will not say anything more on the JFK part of this per your request other than as I said, you are entitled to your opinion, but at least don't make Posner's book the final word you read on the subject.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
MegtheEgg86

I think Oswald acted alone, but I definitely don't think Berkowitz did. I don't buy into a lot of the speculation in Terry's book, but I do think the Carr brothers (and at least one other person) were also responsible for the shootings. That 'John Wheaties' reference in the Breslin letter almost certainly could not refer to anyone other than John Carr. It was a nickname he'd had for years, and John and Mike's sister's actual first name was Wheat.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Spark Of Spirit
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I think Oswald acted alone, but I definitely don't think Berkowitz did. I don't buy into a lot of the speculation in Terry's book, but I do think the Carr brothers (and at least one other person) were also responsible for the shootings. That 'John Wheaties' reference in the Breslin letter almost certainly could not refer to anyone other than John Carr. It was a nickname he'd had for years, and John and Mike's sister's actual first name was Wheat.
I agree. One of the shootings is fairly obvious in it being another perpetrator, and those sketches are pretty off from Berkowitz.

I'm not really a conspiracy guy, but I do think this involved more than one shooter.
A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.
― G.K. Chesterton
Spark Of Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

This looks nothing like Berkowitz. More like that John Carr or whatever his name was.

Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
elg0rd0
Just wanna play video games.
Frequent Poster

More than one killer. Way to many things don't add up on the surface.

As for Robert Kennedy, you don't need much convincing that there is a conspiracy. Way to many things don't add up.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
UMFaninMD
I love a mystery

I'm not one to always assume conspiracy theory but after multiple viewings of the UM segment, some of the things do point to Son of Sam being more like Sons of Sam.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
justins5256

I just watched the infamous Son of Sam episodes again. There is an aspect of it that I would like to discuss that I actually don't think has been touched on before. I did a forum search for "Berkowitz" and this is the most recent thread that came up.

Anyway...

what did you guys think of the anonymous witness who said that he and his cousin witnessed a meeting of the Satanic cult in (I assume) Untermeyer Park as late as 1986-1987? Of course, the segment would have us believe that this is the same cult that was responsible for the Son of Sam murders.

The more I mull the whole thing over, the more I find it difficult to believe. If such a cult existed, and engaged in the ritualistic sacrifice of animals, blood drinking, urine drinking, etc. (all alleged in the segment) why would they do this in a public park? And we're to believe this was an organized group of 22 people (the "22 Disciples of Hell" from the Jimmy Breslin letter)?

The actions being alleged here certainly seem uhhh..."high risk" to me, to say the least.

Thoughts?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
elg0rd0
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I just watched the infamous Son of Sam episodes again. There is an aspect of it that I would like to discuss that I actually don't think has been touched on before. I did a forum search for "Berkowitz" and this is the most recent thread that came up.

Anyway...

what did you guys think of the anonymous witness who said that he and his cousin witnessed a meeting of the Satanic cult in (I assume) Untermeyer Park as late as 1986-1987? Of course, the segment would have us believe that this is the same cult that was responsible for the Son of Sam murders.

The more I mull the whole thing over, the more I find it difficult to believe. If such a cult existed, and engaged in the ritualistic sacrifice of animals, blood drinking, urine drinking, etc. (all alleged in the segment) why would they do this in a public park? And we're to believe this was an organized group of 22 people (the "22 Disciples of Hell" from the Jimmy Breslin letter)?

The actions being alleged here certainly seem uhhh..."high risk" to me, to say the least.

Thoughts?
I take that segment with a grain of salt to be honest. No satanic occult is going to perform rituals in public, unless it's a small town and everyone is in the occult. Cults of this nature tend to perform rituals and the other more private affairs away from large cities. If Berkowitz was in fact in an occult, I find it difficult to believe that this is the same one. With investigators already looking at the Carr brothers and Berkowitz's own claims. The occult would have been completely driven underground and probably would have stayed there long after Berkowitz was dead or it broke up altogether.
elg0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Yeah, I don't buy the cult in the public park story either. The segment showed German Shepherds and anybody whose been around one will tell you that they're noisy dogs. I imagine when they're in pain, they make even more noise which makes me wonder just how this cult can convene in a public park, sacrifice a large animal, and no one hear a thing.

Also, I think Berkowitz acted alone. If there was more than one Son of Sam, what's the explanation for why the killings stopped when he was arrested? Or is this all part of the conspiracy? Woo...
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
WishfulDreamer

I think if there was any devil-worshipping at all involved, it would have been in private, like when that witness said he walked in on an animal sacrifice in his own kitchen. I doubt any murdering cult would practice in a public park, regardless of it being in a wooded spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow
If there was more than one Son of Sam, what's the explanation for why the killings stopped when he was arrested? Or is this all part of the conspiracy? Woo...
If the Carr brothers were indeed responsible, their deaths would account for why the murders stopped. I think they were probably involved and doubt that Berkowitz acted alone.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256

Anyway...

Thoughts?
Wasn't Untermeyer Park a little unkempt at the time? Maybe someone from the area can shed some light, but I was always under the impression the park wasn't extensively maintained at the time--thereby rendering itself an attractive spot for people who maybe want to do secretive things while deterring the average schmoe who wants to visit a park.

In any event, I actually don't get the impression the kid is lying, per se. I think there could exist some exaggerations or embellishments here and there, but I generally believe his story. I do not, however, think it is at all likely that group is related to the Son of Sam shootings.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

Not sure if it's a conspiracy, but what does Berkowitz say?

Does he actually acknowledge a third party?
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #14
isotope
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive
Not sure if it's a conspiracy, but what does Berkowitz say?

Does he actually acknowledge a third party?

As I understand, Berkowitz initially claimed sole responsibility - but in the mid 90s started claiming there were co-conspirators.

His claims on this topic are worthless though - he's clearly crazy.
isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:19 AM   #15
elg0rd0
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotope
As I understand, Berkowitz initially claimed sole responsibility - but in the mid 90s started claiming there were co-conspirators.

His claims on this topic are worthless though - he's clearly crazy.
Berkowitz is clearly trying to pass the buck for his transgressions in this crime. The fact he tried to say a talking dog drove him to kill is a sign that he's trying to wash his hands of his part in the crime. The fact he keeps coming up with scenario after scenario of his "small" part in the crime spree is a dead give away. With that being said if "he's clearly crazy" as you put it, why in the 30+ years of his incarceration he has never been moved to a state mental ward, diagnosed with some form of dementia, or some kind of psychological disorder?

Was he part of it? Yes. The evidence in his apartment and the fact he had possession of the firearm in question, means he is culpible for at least being a part of the crime.
elg0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote