Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock
CNN's History of the Sitcom Premieres July 11; Miracle Workers Returns to TBS for 3rd Season This Summer
Antenna TV's Bewitched Double the Darrins Father's Day Marathon; HBO Max Renews Hacks for 2nd Season
COZI TV Father's Day Marathon: Herman Munster vs. Dan Conner; Paramount+ Bolsters Offerings This Summer
Who Are You, Charlie Brown? Debuts June 25 on Apple TV+; FX, FXX and FX on Hulu Announce 8 Premieres for Summer/Early Fall

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

While I used to think Reimer for sure did it and I still lean in that direction but I am less sure than I once was, about his guilt. While he certainly could have killed Diana, the key words are could have. There are a few things that expose problems in the argument that Reimer did it. Besides the coat being left in the truck (although who knows if he had another coat or not?) but how would he have got out of the woods? It wasn't like they were parked just off the road, they were in the woods by a couple of miles, so that is at least two or three miles in Washington State, in December, that Mike would have had to walk without a coat, to get to a main road. Then on top of that, he has his little girl with him, plus if he had stabbed Diana to death, he would probably have had blood on him although whether or not that would be seen by the naked eye is debatable. However on top of that, if someone picked them up, he would have to ask for this person to drop his daughter off at the shopping center and yet just continue driving with him, if it was a stranger, they would find it odd that a guy would ask to drop his two or three year old daughter off alone at a shopping center and then just take off.

If he had a friend that helped him with this, it would have to be a planned, premeditated, calculated murder. The problem is, what would a friend have to gain by helping Mike? They would not gain anything and I do not think they would be willing to take the change and be implicated as an accessory after the fact to first degree murder.

Truth be told, the more I think about it, the more unlikely that Reimer being the killer seems to be. I am not saying he for sure didn't do it as his body has not been found, so who knows? That being said though, the known facts tend to paint against it. Yes he was a batterer and well, wasn't exactly what you would call a pillar of society by any means but that doesn't make him a killer or anymore likely to be a killer. In fact, as we have learned, often that a person more likely to be a killer would be the person you would least suspect.

Looking at the domestic violence angle. Reimer certainly had a temper and yes he had thrown Diana around and according to some sources, beat her up and the like. While reprehensible that he did those things, it seems to me like it would take a lot to drive him over the edge into committing murder. While he had a violent temper, he had never attempted to kill Diana before and had never seriously injured her in their previous fights. It seems he let out his rage enough that it would not have built up to a point to where he just 'lost it' and ended up killing her.

The tube sock angle is interesting. I do think that the same person killed the couple three months earlier and did also kill Diana, I just don't think it was Mike Reimer. I mean if Mike did this, wouldn't he know he would be the suspect if he left a tube sock around Diana's neck? Why leave the tube sock at all? The authorities would instantly suspect it was him that not only killed Diana but the couple three months earlier. You wouldn't have to be particularly educated to figure that one out. I just think if Mike was going to kill Diana, and this isn't the best defense, but he would have done it in a different way. He wouldn't have left the truck out there and hitchhiked around, especially with a small child in tow, as it is much more of a burden to run when you have a small child with you.

The note, while I do believe it was written by Mike Reimer, I tend to believe it was either already written and had just been left in the truck and the killer found it. Or the killer forced Mike to write it to put the blame on Mike. My guess is the killer took Mike away alive as Mike was a big guy and would be extremely difficult, if not impossible for a solitary man to move the body on his own. So my guess is, the little girl was in the company of Mike and the killer, the killer walked mike to an unknown location, killed him, disposed of his body, then deciding the little girl was not a threat as a witness or actually having a bit of a conscience and not being able to kill a child took her to town and dropped her off outside a shopping center.

One must also remember there were several serial killers on the loose in Washington State in 1985. Charles Sinclair, Gary Ridgeway, Robert Yates, to name a few.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 AM   #17
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
While I used to think Reimer for sure did it and I still lean in that direction but I am less sure than I once was, about his guilt. While he certainly could have killed Diana, the key words are could have. There are a few things that expose problems in the argument that Reimer did it. Besides the coat being left in the truck (although who knows if he had another coat or not?) but how would he have got out of the woods? It wasn't like they were parked just off the road, they were in the woods by a couple of miles, so that is at least two or three miles in Washington State, in December, that Mike would have had to walk without a coat, to get to a main road. Then on top of that, he has his little girl with him, plus if he had stabbed Diana to death, he would probably have had blood on him although whether or not that would be seen by the naked eye is debatable. However on top of that, if someone picked them up, he would have to ask for this person to drop his daughter off at the shopping center and yet just continue driving with him, if it was a stranger, they would find it odd that a guy would ask to drop his two or three year old daughter off alone at a shopping center and then just take off.

If he had a friend that helped him with this, it would have to be a planned, premeditated, calculated murder. The problem is, what would a friend have to gain by helping Mike? They would not gain anything and I do not think they would be willing to take the change and be implicated as an accessory after the fact to first degree murder.

Truth be told, the more I think about it, the more unlikely that Reimer being the killer seems to be. I am not saying he for sure didn't do it as his body has not been found, so who knows? That being said though, the known facts tend to paint against it. Yes he was a batterer and well, wasn't exactly what you would call a pillar of society by any means but that doesn't make him a killer or anymore likely to be a killer. In fact, as we have learned, often that a person more likely to be a killer would be the person you would least suspect.

Looking at the domestic violence angle. Reimer certainly had a temper and yes he had thrown Diana around and according to some sources, beat her up and the like. While reprehensible that he did those things, it seems to me like it would take a lot to drive him over the edge into committing murder. While he had a violent temper, he had never attempted to kill Diana before and had never seriously injured her in their previous fights. It seems he let out his rage enough that it would not have built up to a point to where he just 'lost it' and ended up killing her.

The tube sock angle is interesting. I do think that the same person killed the couple three months earlier and did also kill Diana, I just don't think it was Mike Reimer. I mean if Mike did this, wouldn't he know he would be the suspect if he left a tube sock around Diana's neck? Why leave the tube sock at all? The authorities would instantly suspect it was him that not only killed Diana but the couple three months earlier. You wouldn't have to be particularly educated to figure that one out. I just think if Mike was going to kill Diana, and this isn't the best defense, but he would have done it in a different way. He wouldn't have left the truck out there and hitchhiked around, especially with a small child in tow, as it is much more of a burden to run when you have a small child with you.

The note, while I do believe it was written by Mike Reimer, I tend to believe it was either already written and had just been left in the truck and the killer found it. Or the killer forced Mike to write it to put the blame on Mike. My guess is the killer took Mike away alive as Mike was a big guy and would be extremely difficult, if not impossible for a solitary man to move the body on his own. So my guess is, the little girl was in the company of Mike and the killer, the killer walked mike to an unknown location, killed him, disposed of his body, then deciding the little girl was not a threat as a witness or actually having a bit of a conscience and not being able to kill a child took her to town and dropped her off outside a shopping center.

One must also remember there were several serial killers on the loose in Washington State in 1985. Charles Sinclair, Gary Ridgeway, Robert Yates, to name a few.
I could think of a possible motive someone would have to help Mike, it could be another woman he was seeing who helped him dispose of his girlfriend so they could run off. And it makes sense he would not want to take his daughter, but yet not want to kill her either so he left her where she would be found.

Again thats sheer speculation. But I can't help but think that if an unknown serial killer had killed them both, he would have killed the little girl. I find it hard to believe that a unknown killer would have left the little girl alive as a possible witness. Of course, she has never remembered anything, but he would have had no way of knowing that at the time.

Whats perplexing to me is that the daughter has never remembered anything, have they ever tried to put her under hypnosis? I would think that if she remembered enough to say that her mommy was in the trees, she would at least remember how she got to the shopping center. Yet fro what I've heard she has always denied remembering anything, odd.

However, what you bring up about the seral killes in the area is interesting nonetheless. I doubt it was Gary Ridgeway, doesn't fit his MO, he targeted prostitutes and as far as I know never killed men. But Yates and Sinclair are definite possibilities, because I know they were both suspects in themurders of Jay Cook and Tanya Van Cuylenborg as well.

Intrigung case either way. Hope the truth comes out someday.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #18
kadrmas15

Well being as she was only two, I am not sure how much she could remember in any event? I was 2 in 1986 an i can safely say I remember nothing from that time. As in literally nothing. Granted I have never been under hypnosis so I cannot say for sure whether something would be drug out of my memory or not? I do agree with you that it was not Gary Ridgeway who killed Diana and Mike as it does not even come close to Ridgeway's known M.O. However in regards to the child not being killed, actually,a lot of killers, both 'regular' killers and serial killers do not kill the kid, it is not all that unusual. Even folks like Richard Ramirez spared a kids life.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:19 AM   #19
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Well being as she was only two, I am not sure how much she could remember in any event? I was 2 in 1986 an i can safely say I remember nothing from that time. As in literally nothing. Granted I have never been under hypnosis so I cannot say for sure whether something would be drug out of my memory or not? I do agree with you that it was not Gary Ridgeway who killed Diana and Mike as it does not even come close to Ridgeway's known M.O. However in regards to the child not being killed, actually,a lot of killers, both 'regular' killers and serial killers do not kill the kid, it is not all that unusual. Even folks like Richard Ramirez spared a kids life.
Oh she was only two? I was thinking three or four.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #20
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Yeah I think she was three, but just because she was spared doesn't really help or hurt the case against Riemer...he could have spared her life because she was his daughter and the unknown serial killer just as easily could have spared the life of a child, maybe he thought it was a "dishonorable" to do.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Yeah I think she was three, but just because she was spared doesn't really help or hurt the case against Riemer...he could have spared her life because she was his daughter and the unknown serial killer just as easily could have spared the life of a child, maybe he thought it was a "dishonorable" to do.
I don't think you can argue that Mike Reimer would be far more likely to spare his daughter's life than an unknown killer. Thats why I still think its possible he could have done it.

Although I will admit its odd there has been no sightings of him in all these years, I'm kind of leaning towards he idea of him being dead to. But its entirely possible like I said he could have committed these murders and died afterwards some other way.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
dks64
Forum Regular

I just watched the segment a few days ago. The person who found her at the store thought she was about 3, but she was 2.

I'm leaning towards Mike not being the killer. I see it the way kadrmas15 sees it.
dks64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Even folks like Richard Ramirez spared a kids life.

Not true, he has since been linked to a child's murder in San Francisco. I believe he also raped an infant at one of his nightstalker crime scenes.
Charlie99909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #24
dks64
Forum Regular

If there was a killer (not Mike), it's possible the girl charmed him and he didn't want to harm her. Was Mike close enough to his daughter to where he would have taken her with him if he had committed the crime(s)?
dks64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #25
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I just think Riemer could have waited for a better opportunity to kill Diana, if he were planning to do so. Why wait until he takes her and his daughter to go hunting for a Christmas tree? Why not just take Diana out to go and check his traps? Why spare the only potential witness (his daughter) to the crime he allegedly committed?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #26
kadrmas15

When I said spared a life, I meant there were occasions that he did spare a kids life, not that he always spared them.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #27
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I just think Riemer could have waited for a better opportunity to kill Diana, if he were planning to do so. Why wait until he takes her and his daughter to go hunting for a Christmas tree? Why not just take Diana out to go and check his traps? Why spare the only potential witness (his daughter) to the crime he allegedly committed?
Exactly. Unless, of course, it were a spur-of-the-moment, crime of passion sort of thing. Which wouldn't really consistent with the oft-contested envelope, IMO.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #28
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Exactly. Unless, of course, it were a spur-of-the-moment, crime of passion sort of thing. Which wouldn't really consistent with the oft-contested envelope, IMO.
Do we even know when that message was written? For all we know it may have been before hand and enitrely not connected with the crime.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #29
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur
Do we even know when that message was written? For all we know it may have been before hand and enitrely not connected with the crime.
Very valid point, and I've argued that in the past.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...ht=mike+riemer

Post #8.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #30
Guardian
Forum Regular

Just to touch base on a couple of things here. I live in the tacoma, wa area only about 30 minutes or so from where Crystal was found outside the Kmart. So I am at least vaguely familiar with the area.

The thing is that nobody knows exactly where this alleged killer (if it wasn't Mike) began to stalk them. He may simply have been out in the woods around the same time, or he may have followed them to a secluded area. The roads leading toward mount rainier are not far from the Kmart, and would not be difficult to follow someone without being suspicious.

As I recall from reading the articles that were posted on here a while back, there were indeed several unsolved murders around that time. With a few of them it struck me right away that not only were both a gun and knife were used, but also that the man and woman were found some distance apart. Not just a few feet, I mean a considerable distance. Although to my knowledge, socks played no role in any other crimes, I feel it is worth noting. If Mike were shot and just never found, and since Diana was stabbed, this kind of fits.

This also kind of fits the scenario of the Robertson, Johnston murders which took place only a few miles from the Kmart in the Riemer case. Also, the girls body in that case was said to have been left on a back road near mount rainier. While I don't feel those cases are connected, there is a possibility given the location and aspects of the MO. (on a side note, I actually know someone that knew the girl (Rochelle) in that case. Based on info he has told me that was never in the UM segment, I don't feel this case is connected with the Riemer case. I only mention it here as an example of similarity and the fact that it is in the same general location)

I do feel that Mike Riemer was himself a victim as well. The socks and the other murders don't make sense otherwise. I think that like the other cases that may or may not be linked, his body was disposed of in another area. Remember that even with organized searches, it was still 2 months before Diana's body was found and there was a truck sitting next to her that you think would be easy to spot. Also, unlike what was shown on UM, she was reported to be covered up in 6 inches of snow (see the articles in the other post on this case). If she went undetected in the area for 2 months laying next to a truck, it is totally possible that Mike Riemer's body was elsewhere in the vicinity and was just never found.