Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
treeman
-Treeman
Frequent Poster

Default Dan Tondevold

Any updates on this crazy case?

So many possibilities.

-Ben
treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Kane
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman
Any updates on this crazy case?

So many possibilities.

-Ben
What kind of case was this? Could you please give me a concise description of it? Thank you in advance.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
AVERMAN
Frequent Poster

It was one of those classic "Con artist scams money from senile old lady then disappears" dealies. Only in this one, he is supposedly found dead but theres a twist, because nobody who knew the man identified the body.

Basically, A lady from Knoxville Tennessee lets this guy from Denmark move in with her. He soon takes control of her finances and she gives him power of attorney. In 1984 i think it was, they planned a trip down to South Carolina. They stayed there for 4 months. They had planned that the old lady take a plane while the guy drove the Mercedes back. When the lady arrived home, the guy hadnt arrived yet, and all their utilities were disconnected. Meanwhile, the guy is spotted 100 miles south of their holiday destination. He is soon found dead in a field near a dog that had been shot in the head. He had also been shot in the head with the gun lying nearby. Just before the holiday, the guy placed an ad in a paper looking for a chauffeur, even though there was no need for one. The ad said that only males were needed and that applicants needed to send a photo. It is believed that the guy was looking for a body double to kill and make it look like he had committed suicide, while running away with the old lady's money.
AVERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
The Third Man
Occasional Poster

I found a record in the Social Security Death Index for a Dan S. Tondevold which seems to match Tondevold's date of birth (8/26/1933--in the UM segment it was mentioned that Tondevold graduated from high school in 1951). The SSDI entry stated that Tondevold died in 1985, which I think was when the body was found in South Carolina.

So officially it seems the case is closed, and that the body is still officially thought to be that of Tondevold.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
AVERMAN
Frequent Poster

That's what UM mentioned too. However at the end, they reported it as if the guy was still alive.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
The Third Man
Occasional Poster

I don't think he is alive, frankly. While I'm not in total agreement with mozartpc's argument that "Suicide or Murder?" cases on UM are always really suicide, I think it holds here.

A friend of the lady whom Tondevald was scamming claims that "it doesn't make sense" for Tondevald to kill himself having stolen lots of money from the scammee. I'm not so sure; I'd argue that Tondevald knew the end of the gravy train was nigh--once they returned from South Carolina the jig was going to be up--and he also knew that he had now soaked the woman for all she had.

I'm also far from convinced that Tondevald was necessarily looking for a body double in the ad. Looking for a chauffeur for a four-month trip makes some sense; Tondevald probably didn't want to have to drive her around all that time. Even asking for a picture for a job like that isn't that unusual; an older woman wouldn't want to be driven around by a scary-looking guy, and that could eliminate some candidates right off the bat. Also, one other key point: Tondevald posted the ad at the beginning of the four-month vacation. Why would Tondevald do that, when he "needed" the body double at the end of the vacation?

It just seems to me like a rather high-risk strategy for disappearing...run an ad and hope that someone who looks vaguely like you responds, lure said candidate into the middle of nowhere, and fake a suicide and hope that the guy that identifies your body double never got a good look at you. If Tondevald wanted to disappear, all he would have had to do is stay behind in South Carolina (as he did), then take off somewhere else and just not bother with the body double and the fake suicide. He could have been long gone by the time anybody noticed.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
AVERMAN
Frequent Poster

ThirdMan, I like the cut of your jib.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Tennessean
First Time Poster

Default I actually met Dan Tondevold!

In the early 80's I was working in a specialty food shop in Knoxville called The Gourmet's Market and Dan Tondevold was a regular customer. I asked him about the origin of his name and he said he was Danish. I mentioned that I had a good friend from Aarhus and he said he had never heard of it. Aarhus is the second largest city in Denmark. I wonder how many Americans have never heard of Chicago?
Tennessean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
treeman
-Treeman
Frequent Poster

Thanks for that Tennassean interesting stuff.

-Ben
treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Jediknight1823
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessean
I wonder how many Americans have never heard of Chicago?
They're a pretty good band. And Cetera had that "Glory of Love" song, so it would strange not to know who they are.

But yeah, this is one bizarra case.
Jediknight1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #11
unsolvedmysteriesfan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediknight1823
They're a pretty good band. And Cetera had that "Glory of Love" song, so it would strange not to know who they are.
LOL.
unsolvedmysteriesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

This reminds me of the Ed Baker (Houston Oilman scams investors with his "tax shelters".....is thought to have later committed suicide in a deserted field where burnt out shell of his Jaguar was found) case alot though the other major details differ very much....

I think Tondevald is alive. In fact, I don't even think that's his real name. What I think happened is that this guy, whoever he is, assumed this 'Dan Tondevald' identity......keeps up appearances while he cleans out his elderly target......then in SC, he does the 'Body Double' thing and after the body is discovered & ID'ed, he skips town and either goes back to his regular identity (not very likely), or assumes a new one (more likely)....all with the stolen funds in hand.

The body double thing may seem like a far-out, high-risk plan.......but if we're to assume this perp liked/likes to change identities, then this would fit in with that very well.
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:31 AM   #13
CanadianUMFan
Frequent Poster

It actually mentions in the segment that Tondevold was really from Las Vegas and not Denmark. The Danish accent was a put-on.

One item that bothers me is that a dog was found shot in the head next to Tondevold's body. However, UM never mentions whether Tondevold ever had a dog. If he did and the dead dog could be identified as his, then it is more likely that the dead human body is Tondevold's. If Tondevold never had a dog, then to whom did this dog belong and why was it found with this dead human?
CanadianUMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Drakken
Frequent Poster

The thing is, was Las Vegas' Tondevold and the con artist Dan Tondevold really the same person?

Not that I believe that he was Mrs. Berry's son Hugh (that was accurately disproven) but I have found some weird biometrical discrepencies between the picture of the later Dan Tondevold (DT #2) and the pictures in the Las Vegas yearbook presented near the end of the segment (DT #1).

- #1's ears are spreaded wider, while #2's ears are closer to the side of the head.
- #1's nose is rounded, with a wider nosebone, while #2's nose is narrower and pointed.
- #1's eyebrows are hairier and higher in the forehead than #2's.
- No cheekbone are visible on the #1's pictures, whose cheeks are plain with no bone showing. On the other hand, #2 has a more pronounced cheekbone. However, the fact that #2 is smiling could skewer this.

You can look at these pictures and reach a conclusion by yourself, but when I compared the pictures I realized that it is possible that the Dan Tondevold we know and the younger Dan Tondevold are not the same person. I wish I had a software to compare biometrics between these two pictures to quantify these discrepencies, but from what I see in those pictures there is at least a reasonable doubt that he was on those pictures.

Last edited by Drakken; 05-16-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
cindy5
Occasional Poster

Default Dan Tondevold

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolvedmysteriesfan
LOL.
I just came across this page. Does anyone have any other informaton regarding Dan Tondevold and this story? Someone told me along time ago that they saw this on unsolved mysteries. I was never able to see that episode. I tried to find out some details. I received some information. Dan lived in Las Vegas along time ago. Any information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
cindy5 is offline   Reply With Quote