Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #91
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
You can both purchase and own 'long guns' such as rifles and shotguns in most states at 16. Handguns (pistols and revolvers) can only be purchased and owned by citizens aged 18 years and older.

Although there is a definite problem with gun violence here in the U.S., when a firearm is handled by a person who receives and practices proper safety training (including responsible storage and security of the weapon when not in use) and follows federal and state firearm laws and regulations, the risk of an accident is actually rather low. However, you're right--people aren't perfect, and accidents do happen that can result in injury or death.

It's a pretty hotly debated topic here, as I'm sure you probably know, and there are a lot of strong feelings on it. It seems like we talk about it at least once every election year.
Well that's the thing i dont actually live in USA, I'm Australian but i live in Germany. Both countries guns are illegal except for sport or occupation and even then its a VERY strict process. I do know that in USA there have been so many shootings like Sandy Hook and Columbine. Do these happen because kids get hold of guns and they don't know what they are doing? Well i'm sorry to go off topic but if parents did what Don's dad did and let him take it out without a second thought then that too me is reckless behavior, just my opinion
Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #92
spectre
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMfan77
I'm embarrassed to say, but I've never seen this segment! I have it on DVD but I can't bring myself to watch it because it sounds so darn creepy!! This story has been discussed many times here and I think I just have to do it. I know I sound like a wimp but I'm afraid what I might see. Are certain parts of the segment graphic? Are the boys' bodies shown? (I can't handle dead bodies)
I found the whole case quite "haunting" myself having first watched this episode when I was only a kid in the late 1980s and it's resonated with me ever since I recall seeing an article in a "conspiracy theory" magazine back in the 1990s on it as well with photos of the boys at school. I think one reason why it's always remained at the back of my mind is that Kevin Ives looked so much like one of my best mates in primary school. Idk how old you are, but as an impressionable young kid watching the show it definitely gave me the jeepers creepers--then again a lot of the cases on UM did I suggest you sit yourself down on the couch with a warm cup of cocoa and a blanket to watch it as UM did a really good job in retelling the main points of the case. Of course, they couldn't go into more details like other docos since have, but there's nothing confronting or distasteful that I remember, except for the entire case itself of course Let us know how well you handle it...
spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #93
spectre
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
I still believe both boys were murdered, that they saw something illegal and that they had to be killed to keep from talking about it (same deal with the Norman Ladner case too). Marijuana, even in the amount they smoked, would not render them unconscious. You do not lay yourself on a set of train tracks next to your best friend, dead or unconscious, and have it be an "accident". Unfortunately, I feel that the train running them over probably complicated the autopsy and a more definitive cause of death was not found due to that. Don was stabbed, but how was Kevin killed? I don't remember if they said how he died.
I totally agree with your reasoning. Regarding the autopsy I believe it was discovered that Don had been stabbed in the back while Kevin's skull had been crushed prior to being thrown on the tracks.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #94
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre
I found the whole case quite "haunting" myself having first watched this episode when I was only a kid in the late 1980s and it's resonated with me ever since I recall seeing an article in a "conspiracy theory" magazine back in the 1990s on it as well with photos of the boys at school. I think one reason why it's always remained at the back of my mind is that Kevin Ives looked so much like one of my best mates in primary school. Idk how old you are, but as an impressionable young kid watching the show it definitely gave me the jeepers creepers--then again a lot of the cases on UM did I suggest you sit yourself down on the couch with a warm cup of cocoa and a blanket to watch it as UM did a really good job in retelling the main points of the case. Of course, they couldn't go into more details like other docos since have, but there's nothing confronting or distasteful that I remember, except for the entire case itself of course Let us know how well you handle it...
What other details are there that were not mentioned in UM?
Judyhymesisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #95
spectre
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyhymesisalive
What other details are there that were not mentioned in UM?
Uh...if you haven't done so already I suggest you check out the documentary by Linda Ives, the mother of Kevin, entitled Obstruction of Justice. It's available on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=965M_9BCYsw. Linda's website is www.idfiles.com/index.htm Mind you it's been a while since I watched the video, but I believe it delves into her "conspiracy theory" raising a lot of questions and if I recall correctly she also hints at who she thinks was involved or at fault in the deaths of the boys.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #96
bigsir58
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Uh...if you haven't done so already I suggest you check out the documentary by Linda Ives, the mother of Kevin, entitled Obstruction of Justice. It's available on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=965M_9BCYsw. Linda's website is www.idfiles.com/index.htm Mind you it's been a while since I watched the video, but I believe it delves into her "conspiracy theory" raising a lot of questions and if I recall correctly she also hints at who she thinks was involved or at fault in the deaths of the boys.
Just a heads up Spectre, I don't think we are allowed to post links from "YTbe" on here for some reason. Generally we refer to it as "the forbidden site", and give a description on how to find the video you want to share.
bigsir58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #97
thinwhiteduke74
Frequent Poster

The video doesn't make a particularly persuasive case, honestly. Strong evidence points to the murder of the two teens, there was probably CIA drug smuggling going on in the mid '80s in Arkansas, and Bill Clinton as governor probably protected criminally incompetent bureaucrats, as do all governors and their appointees. But these things don't cohere into a massive conspiracy. The moms didn't help their case in the '90s when they aligned themselves with the most repellent anti-Clintonism.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #98
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Frequent Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsir58
Just a heads up Spectre, I don't think we are allowed to post links from "YTbe" on here for some reason. Generally we refer to it as "the forbidden site", and give a description on how to find the video you want to share.
Ok then i shall watch it. thanks!
Judyhymesisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #99
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74
The moms didn't help their case in the '90s when they aligned themselves with the most repellent anti-Clintonism.
For the record, in Mara Leveritt's The Boys on the Tracks, Linda was extremely conflicted about using anti-Clinton media outlets to publicize the story throughout the '90s. She always viewed it as a means to an end, and in fact would directly state in radio interviews that her reason for even being there to speak in the first place wasn't Bill Clinton--it was Kevin and Don. Although she appeared in the overwhelmingly discredited Clinton Chronicles, she was not at all happy with the film when she saw it in its entirety for the first time, and in fact felt perhaps the only pieces of credible information in the video was her own story about the train deaths and the resultant resistance she, her husband, and the Henrys experienced from law enforcement immediately thereafter.

Marvelle Henry--Don's stepmother--had only limited media engagement, much of it limited to the three or four years after the murders. She and Curtis moved away to Magnolia, AR some time after 1990. The families had very different opinions on the quality of the investigation after Dan Harmon (law partner of Richard Garrett, who was interviewed on the segment) took on the case: Curtis thought highly of Harmon, and Linda came to greatly distrust him as the investigation progressed. So, the two families were never ultimately united in their efforts concerning the media throughout the '90s. In fact, it can be argued that while the Ives (Linda in particular) utilized it heavily during this time, the Henrys basically stayed away from it altogether (not the least of which reasons being that Curtis Henry feared for the safety of his oldest daughter Gayla--Don's sister--who he thought could be a potential target for retaliation).

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #100
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
I totally agree with your reasoning. Regarding the autopsy I believe it was discovered that Don had been stabbed in the back while Kevin's skull had been crushed prior to being thrown on the tracks.
That is correct: Don was stabbed, and the injury pattern to Kevin's skull indicated that he was struck in the face with the butt of Don's rifle.

I too have always felt the two were murdered, and local and state authorities were involved in both the murder and the cover-up. I think the reason why the cover-up was perpetrated centered around cocaine. I think county prosecutor Dan Harmon was a key figure in ensuring the cover-up got off the ground and remained intact, and was perhaps actively or passively involved in the murders himself.

The extent of then-Governor Clinton's complicity, in my opinion, was his absolute reluctance to accept responsibility for the things going on in his state at the time, as well as his bizarre relationship with state medical examiner Fahmy Malak, to whom he was apparently indebted after Malak ruled favorably in the case of a 1981 surgical patient death in which Clinton's mother served as the patient's nurse anesthetist.

I think local figures--particularly Dan Harmon--are deserving of greater scrutiny and blame than Clinton will probably ever be. His inaction, however, certainly benefited those parties greatly.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #101
thinwhiteduke74
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
For the record, in Mara Leveritt's The Boys on the Tracks, Linda was extremely conflicted about using anti-Clinton media outlets to publicize the story throughout the '90s. She always viewed it as a means to an end, and in fact would directly state in radio interviews that her reason for even being there to speak in the first place wasn't Bill Clinton--it was Kevin and Don. Although she appeared in the overwhelmingly discredited Clinton Chronicles, she was not at all happy with the film when she saw it in its entirety for the first time, and in fact felt perhaps the only pieces of credible information in the video was her own story about the train deaths and the resultant resistance she, her husband, and the Henrys experienced from law enforcement immediately thereafter.
I agree: the Henry-Ives material in the video shames the rest.

I recommend Mara Leveritt's book too**one of the better reported true crime books of the last 20 years.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #102
Charlie3
Occasional Poster

5/24/2016 at Shobe Road Crossing, Alexander, Arkansas.
On the back of the cross is written, "WE WON'T FORGET."

Last edited by Charlie3; 06-08-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Charlie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #103
Charlie3
Occasional Poster

You won't learn much about Mena in a short video but Terry Reed's book http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...5407580&sr=1-1 Compromised is an excellent account of the operation. Reading skills are pre-requisite. The book is 681 pages long but it does include pictures.
Charlie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #104
wiseguy182
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie3
Terry Reed's book http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...5407580&sr=1-1 Compromised is an excellent account of the operation. Reading skills are pre-requisite.
I should think so.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #105
MegtheEgg86
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I should think so.
lol.

Charlie3, are those your personal photos? I've always wanted to visit the tracks but haven't had a reason to head down that way in quite some time.

I can't get over how those flowers are tied to that cross with police tape. It's a sad, profound, and chilling image.