Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock
CNN's History of the Sitcom Premieres July 11; Miracle Workers Returns to TBS for 3rd Season This Summer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #46
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I'm in the middle of the 5th chapter of the book. The reviews on amazon about the kindle version being poorly edited is correct, but at this point, it's not a totally horrible job. There are half of words missing and stuff like that but you can mostly figure out the meaning of those sentences.

On to my opinion of Fahmy Malak. Is he still alive? I actually HATE this guy. He's not only corrupt and incompetent but unbelievably cruel. Whenever he met with the boys' parents he was offensive, defensive, arrogant, condescending, and dismissive. He made the parents and everyone else who visited his office pose for polaroids to keep a photographic record of their visit. He also continually threatened to show the the parents autopsy photos of their kids every time they asked a question he didn't like.

His opinion was that they boys were so stoned, they passed out on the tracks and got run over and killed by the train. To prove the high level of marijuana in their systems he kept trying to show photos of body parts. In one meeting, one of the cops finally confiscated the multiple envelopes of autopsy photos Malak had placed in front of the parents to keep Malak from opening them and showing the photos.

Malak refused court orders but finally when he showed up to a hearing, he refused to testify unless he could "show his evidence" which of course was the gruesome photos. Attorneys tried to block the display, since it was not a closed proceeding and the audience included friends, relatives, and parents of the kids, but the judge allowed them to be shown.

The parents left the room for that part of the testimony. Malak had the photos blown up into poster sizes and used these to "prove" there was pot in the boys' blood. Just exactly HOW photos of violently severed body parts proved his blood testing samples showed excessive use of pot was never explained.

IMO, the guy got off on this. Personally, I put him up there with serial killers getting enjoyment out the violence, torment, torture, and gruesomeness of their crimes. This idiot just happens to have a medical degree, but he's disturbed, disgusting, and beyond vile.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #47
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
Is he still alive?
Indeed he is. He is currently in private practice as a general practioner in the Clearwater, FL area.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #48
marlins3
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
fyi, amazon has the kindle edition of the book for $9.99

OT - I'm one of those people who likes to read real books with paper pages, but since I bought my first ever smart phone a few months ago, it came with a free kindle app and I downloaded a few free books. Very convenient for filling in some time at waiting rooms and stuff with reading a book on your phone instead of lugging around a real book or just playing cell phone solitaire.

I think I'll go ahead and get the kindle version of this book. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Agreed...nothing can beat a hardcopy version of a book.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #49
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Indeed he is. He is currently in private practice as a general practioner in the Clearwater, FL area.

Oh dear. I can't believe he's still capable of working (if you can call anything he ever did "work".) I wonder if people in the area know his history.

Even though I already knew he was some kind of goofball, the stuff I'm reading about him in this book is shocking especially considering that he was supposed to be a medical professional in a very important and serious position.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #50
ernmerica
Frequent Poster

As a lifelong pot smoker, this guys initial conclusion that a couple of children would take a nap on train tracks after smoking a joint just shows his lack of education and likely brain capacity.
ernmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #51
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmerica
As a lifelong pot smoker, this guys initial conclusion that a couple of children would take a nap on train tracks after smoking a joint just shows his lack of education and likely brain capacity.
Even someone who drank a ton of alcohol would have stirred after hearing that loud train horn. They were either dead or near death when that train hit them, IMO.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #52
tomtom1
Occasional Poster

The mystery surrounding the murder of Kevin Ives and Don Henry was the subject of a repeat episode of "Unsolved Mysteries" with Dennis Farina I watched the other week on 7mate. I found it affected me to such a degree that I admit I had a few sleepless nights for several days afterwards! I don't know if it was due to the disturbing nature of their deaths, the haunting reenactment of their final hours or even just the classroom snapshot capturing a moment suspended in time in the all-too-brief lives of these young men. But, for some reason it resonated heavily on my psyche. After researching online I recalled seeing the still previously when I was a teen myself in a magazine article associating their deaths with the "Clinton Body Count." I also came across the documentary "Obstruction of Justice: The Mena Connection," which I plan to watch when I get a chance as I'm interested to learn who the parents suspect in robbing them of their sons. Now I understand that Henry had been stabbed in the back and Ives's skull had been crushed prior to them being placed on the railroad tracks. But, what I'm intrigued about is the reference to a similar case in 1984 in Hodgen, OK, in which two young men lying together on the railroad tracks were run over in a position nearly identical to Henry and Ives. Has there been any further investigation and development into this separate case and whether it had any connections with the murder of Henry and Ives?
tomtom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #53
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom1
But, what I'm intrigued about is the reference to a similar case in 1984 in Hodgen, OK, in which two young men lying together on the railroad tracks were run over in a position nearly identical to Henry and Ives. Has there been any further investigation and development into this separate case and whether it had any connections with the murder of Henry and Ives?
Welcome, tomtom1. The Hodgen case is something of an unsolved mystery in and of itself insomuch that no one on this board, to my knowledge, has ever been able to find the article or any other information online about it.

I myself have tried searching by the article headline shown in the segment, attempting to make numerous guesses as to what the actual newspaper might be with no luck. I have spent literal hours searching the Federal Railroad Administration's accident report database (their archives go back over 40 years) with no results that precisely match my inquiry, which consisted of year 1984 and multiple locations in and around the Hodgen, OK area.

So I have no idea what to make of it. I am extremely curious about what happened in that case.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #54
ernmerica
Frequent Poster

I find it adorable that TomTom mentions the case being presented by Farina like it was never presented by Stack, we have much to learn, welcome!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #55
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmerica
I find it adorable that TomTom mentions the case being presented by Farina like it was never presented by Stack, we have much to learn, welcome!
There's nothing in that post that indicates he or she is unaware that Robert Stack previously hosted the series. And even if he or she was, so what? The last thing anything wants when they join a message board is to be patronized right off the bat. One of the reasons this board is so great is because its members don't generally go out of their way to be exclusive--which is a rarity, and I think a refreshing one at that.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #56
tomtom1
Occasional Poster

Actually I do know who Stack is ernmerica I grew up watching the show with him hosting it. Although I do recall watching it when Karl Malden was host! That's how old I am! And I actually enjoyed his presence and narration to a degree more than Stack's. Here in the land "down under," however, the show has had a sporadic broadcasting history. I recall it was on from the late 1980s to the mid-1990s before it disappeared off air altogether until last year when I noted it was being repeated, but with Dennis Farina as host. Thus, the reason why I mentioned specifically Farina was to clarify that I had viewed the UM episode of Don Henry and Kevin Ives with Farina's narration of the case rather than Stack's since they're the episodes that's being broadcast here in Australia. Also, there is a picture of both Stack and Farina at the top of the page. And to MegtheEgg86 thanks for having my back!

BTW I watched on youtube just last night the UM episode about Norman Ladner and the strange parallels it has with the murders of Henry & Ives. It's intriguing that we have the "ghost case" of the 1984 train deaths (as Garrett referenced it) occurring in OK; while a couple of years later there was the case of Henry & Ives in the neighboring state AR and then the following year the Ladner death in the neighboring state of MS. Anyway the assertion that these deaths were all drug related is definitely possible, even probable, by all accounts. Regarding the 1984 OK case, however, has anyone attempted to contact Garrett himself for further information? I haven't been able to track down any contact details so far.

Also, I don't know if anyone is aware, but for those interested there is an online petition for a renewed investigation into the deaths of Henry & Ives, which I stumbled across after reading about last month's "Boys on the Tracks" vigil in Saline County.
tomtom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #57
ernmerica
Frequent Poster

That is good to hear! We don't throw the F word around here to often
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #58
bigsir58
Frequent Poster

Hey Darkdante what video are you referring to in your first post on this thread? The Linda Ives video.
bigsir58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #59
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsir58
Hey Darkdante what video are you referring to in your first post on this thread? The Linda Ives video.

I think he's referring to "Obstruction of Justice" (http://www.idfiles.com/ojvid.htm) which is a documentary that the Ives family helped make. Amazon says they have one new copy left here: http://www.amazon.com/Obstruction-Ju...ion+of+justice .

The first link I posted is to the movie's page on the family's official website, www.idfiles.com . The "i" is for Ives and the "d" is for Jean Duffey, a deputy prosecutor for the seventh judicial district, who knew about Dan Harmon's corruption and had to go into hiding for years.

I'm not sure the family is updating their site anymore but apparently they are still keeping the site's registration current. I haven't gone through the whole thing, but the last updates I could see were from back about 1999.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #60
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

I think the boys stumbled on something in the woods they shouldn't have. The only thing I wonder is that they had a shotgun. If my life is in danger and I catch a couple of drug dealers in the act I'd draw my gun on them first. Who knows, they were kids, they could have been scared.

Here is my issue, the weed has little to do with it I think. They were teenage boys and chances are they smoked weed even if their parents didn't know about it. The thing that puzzles me though is that Don came back home with Kevin (or vice versa) and talked to his father. It was 12:15am. His dad knew they were going hunting in the woods at that time and even in the segment basically tells them to have a good time and be careful. Now, I wasn't the type who had overprotective parents, but if I arrived home at 12:15 and THEN went back out my parents would have had an issue with that at 17 years old. As an adult you should know better than that and realize that this is a time at night when things happen, lots of things can happen at this time at night. I realize his father probably thought nothing of it but maybe a mention by his dad of "Hey why don't you stay in now, it's late" could have saved their lives.

It isn't negligent like Ruby's (the girl and guy who went through the ice) dad who knew full well the kids were driving their cars drunk but it is still something that could be prevented.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote