Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock
CNN's History of the Sitcom Premieres July 11; Miracle Workers Returns to TBS for 3rd Season This Summer
Antenna TV's Bewitched Double the Darrins Father's Day Marathon; HBO Max Renews Hacks for 2nd Season
COZI TV Father's Day Marathon: Herman Munster vs. Dan Conner; Paramount+ Bolsters Offerings This Summer
Who Are You, Charlie Brown? Debuts June 25 on Apple TV+; FX, FXX and FX on Hulu Announce 8 Premieres for Summer/Early Fall

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #61
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
LOL. You had me worried for a second, Kane7474. I thought you were going to switch sides on me again!

Back to my celebrating...
No Not at all Im just trying to explore the possibilities to show that it would have been near impossible for him to pull off and get away with.
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #62
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_58
What is that song that is playing on angelas radio when she drops off rob on the UM segment?? I know i have heard that before.. Also how old was Robs brother????? Was he a teenager, was he an infant? and im still wondering who this x boyfriend is??? THeres so many things that UM didnt fill in and I cant find any information on it anywhere
I can't hear the song well enough to know exactly what it is because Stack is talking over it. From what I could hear it sounds like either Morrisey or the Cure.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #63
longliveum
Frequent Poster

Can we post newspaper articles here? I have about 4-5 in my email that I purchased to read about this case from the Kansas City Star archives. One of the articles stated Angela worked tallying evening accounts at a Clinton bank. There was another article that said two other witnesses saw a man in a truck at the location of the crime matching the description of the suspect.
Hmmmm, I thought that was interesting. Anyway, would be happy to post these if it isn't against this website's rules. It would also take up quite a bit of space on a post so I don't know about that either. If someone could just let me know either way.
longliveum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #64
BibleCode06
Banned
Banned!!
Occasional Poster

[QUOTE=chet_58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
I could see rob doing it before anglea just dissapearing... If she dissapeared on her own to get away what did she drive, where did she go, why did she go??? If she was pregnant why would she leave her fiance and her family??? Who is the ex boyfriend that was being questioned.. I could see on the UM clip picture of a newspaper that Rob and an ex boyfriend were being questioned. It just seems way too weird that she would call when she was only 7 blocks away and pregnant. Why didnt she just stop bye??? where did she live??? Rob also said on hin UM interview that he was meeting her uptown that night??? WHy would he meet her up town on Thursday night when nobody was anywhere to be seen in Clinton. If a truck existed someone, somewhere saw it that night besides Rob and Angela.. What if Angela is alive somewhere??? Where are people getting these spottings from Canada, i know UM said something about it at the end , but i just cant see her being alive and thats why I think this all has to fall back on Rob.
TRUER WORDS couldn't have been spoken. I mean the next day she works and why stay up so late in a weekday? I will raise a few more questions and let the board answer them. So it will be my last post on this to avoid giving TJ and CD a headache.

1)Where is the Truck? Many Criminals after commiting a crime often abandon the vehicle especially after a manhunt is after thier suspicious looking truck. Even the young Texas killing spree kid wearing the IRON MAIDEN "Purgatory" shirt knew to throw the car in a lake or swamp. The killer knew that Rob saw his truck and reported it to the authorities and likely wouldn't keep driving it. Of course, he might have thrown it in a nice lake or swamp but you would think it would turn up by now, I mean it's not like a small dodge neon.

2)The police narrowed the vehicle up to 1600 matches. Yet after many computer runs and assuming help from FBI profilers they don't come up with nothing. The authorities have the technology available to match it with other felons or possible suspicious criminals.

3) The Highway escape-The killer had to kill Angie before he headed to the highway. There is no way he will have the manual dexterity of driving at a high speed on a multi-lane highway while having someone fighting them. So he had to park the car and shoot. Likely in a more populated area if he was headed to the highway. I have lived in small rural areas. We all know that 18 Wheel Truckers work 24 hours a day and highways often have stable traffic regardless of the time of day. Yet no one reported nothing in the days after the dissapperance.

4)From leaving the barbecue at 9PM to the phone call of 11:15PM that gives ROB over 2 hours to kill and dispose. Also Angie didn't go upstairs so his little brother can't corroborate his story that she dropped him off.

These are just questions. If Rob's story is true then the guy was more them lucky he was daring to take someone from a phone booth where they could have been talking to police for all he knew and also skilled to hide his license plate# with mud and not getting stopped or drawing suspicion, driving with one arm and wresting angie, killing her in silence, escaping the APB if there was one, not having someone see you in the highway, disposing the body in a way that no one finds it, eliminating the vehicle after the crime, and also not getting any questioning after the police and FBI investigate 1600 possible hits. Once again, he is one highly skilled WELL you know what.
BibleCode06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #65
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Okay, I think that Rob Schafer is innocent. Some have asked, well why didnt they find the truck? It could be the guy was from Kansas, Clinton isnt super far from the Kansas border. Also in regards to road blocks, in those days I am sure that communication between law enforcement agencies in different counties and jurisdictions was terrible. The guy in the truck I imagien high tailed it out of there and I also imagine he was very familiar with the area and probably stuck to gravel country roads to avoid having to go on the more frequented roads where cops or lots of other traffic may be. I will tell you that at least in my area here in rural Minnesota cops do not patrol gravel roads on a regular or even semi regular basis. They dont like to get their cars dirty and a lot of them do not go on gravel unless they are called out there.

This guy in the truck I am sure had done this before and I agree with Awsi that I think that while this guy didnt stalk Angela or any other victim he did select sites to stake out. I am sure he had seen this site before in Clinton and had studied it and liked what he saw.

Also, I believe someone earlier was saying some nonsense about how "if that were my girlfriend I would have been down there right away and blah, blah, blah. Well I will tell you, I remember in the renactment that Rob said "maybe I should come down there." Angie reassured him more than once I believe that things were okay and that he didnt need to come down. I think Angie was made uneasy by the man in the truck but I dont think she was alarmed by him at least not to the point to ask Rob to come down. Rob was about 7 blocks away, Rob flew out of the house and the last thing he heard on the phone was the guy in the truck saying "I didnt need to use the phone anyway." He sped down, and was down there in like a minute it seemed like. I am sure the cops checked out his c ar to make sure the transmission was in fact destroyed basically. The times dont add up with Rob having been able to pull this off because her body would have been found I think had he done it. I have been in towns the size of Clinton before at night, and I believe this happened on a week night at like 10, 11 at night. I will tell you I think things would have been dead in that town, there might have been a few drunks in the downtown bars and that would have been about the extent of people out. So I dont really think it is all that far fetched that no one saw Rob speeding down the street or saw the mysterious truck. IT could also b e people s aw it and didnt come forward because they didnt want to be involved.

As I said, this is the kind of crap that happens when they cant find who did it. People start to get mad and they want to blame someone for it and Rob Schafer certainly is a convinenent person for people to blame for it. If in fact the time frames add up the guy in the truck would have been out of the county probably by the time the Clinton police got an APB out, and I am sure the neighboring county's didnt know about this stuff until long after Angie had been abducted and I am sure the Missouri state highway patrol was only watching the highways and major roads and I am sure you wouldnt see troopers stationed on the county gravel roads.

Also people stay up late all the time if they have to work the next day. I dont think that means Rob must be lying because she was up late at night. I mean that sounds like just desperation to try to prove Rob guilty. Also who is to say the killer shot her? He might have shot her, however he might have perferred a less noisy way of killing her like stabbing her or strangling her or something like that. Also it is very possible the truck wasnt found because besides the fact there were over 3 thousand possiblities in Missouri, who is to say the truck was even registered in Missouri? The killer could have very well been from a neighboring state like Kansas, Oklahoma or Arkansas. I mean I guess I dont think Rob's story is that far fetched. I mean it isnt exactly unheard of for a killer to plan things ahead of time and go to great lengths to avoid detection. He could have taken a gravel road which is what I think he did. You could go on gravel roads at night and have little to no traffic. You would be free to pretty much do anything you wanted. Didnt Angie go to see a friend after her and Rob left the Barbaque? Than after she left the friends house she stopped at the phones in the center of town? I thought that is how it went?
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:52 AM   #66
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Don't forget that Angie was either 19 or 20 at the time of her disappearance. I'm 27 and I'm up at all hours of the night, no matter what the day of the week is.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #67
Awsi Dooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by longliveum
Can we post newspaper articles here? I have about 4-5 in my email that I purchased to read about this case from the Kansas City Star archives. One of the articles stated Angela worked tallying evening accounts at a Clinton bank. There was another article that said two other witnesses saw a man in a truck at the location of the crime matching the description of the suspect.
Hmmmm, I thought that was interesting. Anyway, would be happy to post these if it isn't against this website's rules. It would also take up quite a bit of space on a post so I don't know about that either. If someone could just let me know either way.
As far as I know there's no reason you can't post those articles. I'd love to see them. Rules vary from site to site. Some only allow three paragraphs from a copyrighted source but here I've seen entire lengthy articles posted many times. Go for it.
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #68
longliveum
Frequent Poster

Default articles

OK, here goes, I will post a couple now and a couple more later when time permits:

The Kansas City Star

April 7, 1991
Clinton woman is kidnapped Boyfriend hears her screams.Link to other abductions suspected.
Author: JOE LAMBE; Staff Writer
Edition: METROPOLITAN
Section: NATIONAL/WORLD
Page: A1
Estimated printed pages: 2
Article Text:
Before she disappeared late Thursday, Angela M. Hammond got off work and called her boyfriend from a pay telephone in an empty supermarket parking lot in Clinton, Mo.
As she spoke, the 20-year-old woman noticed an old green pickup circling the lot. Suspicious, she described the truck over the phone. The truck stopped, and she told her boyfriend of the man who got out - a white man with glasses, a mustache and a beard.
Then she screamed, said her boyfriend, Rob Shafer of Clinton.
The phone went dead.
Shafer, 18, said in an interview Saturday that after Hammond screamed he jumped into his car and raced to the Food Barn parking lot, about 11 p.m. Thursday.
He passed what he thought was a yellow truck. Then he heard Hammond scream again.
"When she screamed at me out the window," he said, "I put it in reverse and started chasing him. " Shafer chased the truck about a mile, he said, racing so! uth on Clinton's 2nd Street, then turning west on Culvert Drive.
But his car's transmission failed, Shafer said, and the pickup - maybe a 1969 or 1970 Ford - sped away. The truck may have had a decal of a water scene on the back window.
Hammond has not been seen since. Police found her car in the parking lot that night, said Clinton Detective Damon Parsons. The FBI and Henry County Sheriff also are investigating.
Authorities believe Hammond's abduction could be related to kidnappings in January and February of women in Camden County, Mo., and Nevada, Mo.
One of the women, Trudy Darby, 42, was abducted in January from a convenience store near Macks Creek in Camden County, where she worked as a clerk. Shortly before she disappeared, about 10 p.m. Jan. 19, she called her son from work telling him about a suspicious man outside the store.
When her son arrived five minutes later, he found only his mother's purse and an empty ! cash drawer, police said. Authorities found Darby's nude body two day s later in the Little Niangua River.
She had been shot twice in the head with a shotgun.
The other woman, also a convenience store clerk, disappeared Feb. 27, right after closing up for the night about 10 p.m. Police said the woman, Cheryl Ann Kenney, 30, has never been found. Her car was discovered the next morning outside the Nevada convenience store.
Hammond worked tallying evening accounts at a Clinton bank. Max Geiman, special agent for the FBI in Kansas City, said there was no solid evidence linking the three abductions, but police were examining possible connections.
"This is extremely suspicous," he said.
Police searched the area by air Saturday but found nothing, Parsons said.
Angela's parents, Kathy and Chris Hammond of Olathe, said Saturday that all they can do now is wait and worry. Kathy Hammond has been passing out her stepdaughter's picture to newspapers and television stations, hoping for a breakthrough.
The Kansas City Star

April 11, 1991
FBI questions teens about missing woman Lie-detector tests are given to her fiance and former boyfriend.
Author: LANE BEAUCHAMP; Springfield Correspondent
Edition: MID-AMERICA
Section: MID-AMERICA
Page: C1
Article Text:
The fiance and a former boyfriend of a missing Clinton, Mo., woman were given lie-detector tests Wednesday, but investigators refused to comment on the results.
The two teen-agers said they were questioned about whether they were involved in the disappearance of 20-year-old Angela M. Hammond, who apparently was abducted a week ago from a Clinton supermarket parking lot.
"I guess they were just trying to clear us as suspects," said Bill Barker, the 17-year-old former boyfriend of Hammond, in a telephone interview. "They were asking why we would do something like this to her. " Hammond's fiance, Rob Shafer, said FBI agents administering the tests implied that he and Barker might have been involved.
"They don't think my story's very good," Shafer, 18, said by phone. "I told them everything I know. " Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons, who is heading the investigation, and FBI spokesman Max Geiman declined to ! discuss the polygraph tests. Both men said investigators continued to follow up on leads but had not made any substantial progress Wednesday.
Parsons said that while "everyone is a suspect," Shafer and Barker were questioned as "primary witnesses. " Barker said he was questioned for about three hours Wednesday afternoon; Shafer said he spent about five hours with FBI agents.
"I think they're barking up the wrong tree here," Shafer said.
"They need to focus on who really did this and not on people who didn't. " Hammond, who is four months pregnant, disappeared last Thursday from a parking lot telephone booth at a Clinton supermarket. Shafer has said he and Hammond were talking about a suspicious man nearby when he heard her scream and the phone line went dead.
Shafer said he jumped in his truck and was rushing toward the parking lot, a few blocks from his home, when he heard Hammond yell his name from a passing pickup. Shafer sa! id he tried to follow the truck but could not catch it before his truc k's transmission gave out.
Parsons said Shafer was given a ride to the police station and arrived about midnight. Hammond was last seen by friends about 11:15 p.m. Thursday. She apparently stopped at the phone booth because she did not have a telephone.
Shafer and Barker said they have been out looking for Hammond every day since she disappeared.
"We haven't found anything yet," said Barker, who has continued his friendship with Hammond since they stopped dating late last year. "In a way that could be good. We just don't know. " Hammond was described as 5 feet tall, 140 pounds, with light brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a white shirt with black spots, black slacks and tennis shoes. The truck was described as a green, late 1960s model Ford with a water or fish scene in the back window.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #69
kane7474
Forum Regular

WOW, Did everyone notice that in the first article we get a whole different story about where she had been before she was kidnapped. Its says that she had just gotten off work at the bank then went to the pay phone to call Rob. So what about the BBQ they were supposedly at? What about the freind she went to see after dropping Rob off? Was all this made up by UM. Rob actually gave the account on the show so someone is off here. Was she at work or at a freinds house? Thank you for posting the articles I hope you have more.
Something else I noticed, in the second article it says that friends last saw Angela at 11:15 then goes on to say Rob was at the police station around midnight. As I said before this gave him about 45 minutes to pull of the crime and hide the body. I just dont see that its possible for him to be involved.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #70
kane7474
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=BibleCode06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_58

TRUER WORDS couldn't have been spoken. I mean the next day she works and why stay up so late in a weekday? I will raise a few more questions and let the board answer them. So it will be my last post on this to avoid giving TJ and CD a headache.

1)Where is the Truck? Many Criminals after commiting a crime often abandon the vehicle especially after a manhunt is after thier suspicious looking truck. Even the young Texas killing spree kid wearing the IRON MAIDEN "Purgatory" shirt knew to throw the car in a lake or swamp. The killer knew that Rob saw his truck and reported it to the authorities and likely wouldn't keep driving it. Of course, he might have thrown it in a nice lake or swamp but you would think it would turn up by now, I mean it's not like a small dodge neon.

2)The police narrowed the vehicle up to 1600 matches. Yet after many computer runs and assuming help from FBI profilers they don't come up with nothing. The authorities have the technology available to match it with other felons or possible suspicious criminals.

3) The Highway escape-The killer had to kill Angie before he headed to the highway. There is no way he will have the manual dexterity of driving at a high speed on a multi-lane highway while having someone fighting them. So he had to park the car and shoot. Likely in a more populated area if he was headed to the highway. I have lived in small rural areas. We all know that 18 Wheel Truckers work 24 hours a day and highways often have stable traffic regardless of the time of day. Yet no one reported nothing in the days after the dissapperance.

4)From leaving the barbecue at 9PM to the phone call of 11:15PM that gives ROB over 2 hours to kill and dispose. Also Angie didn't go upstairs so his little brother can't corroborate his story that she dropped him off.

These are just questions. If Rob's story is true then the guy was more them lucky he was daring to take someone from a phone booth where they could have been talking to police for all he knew and also skilled to hide his license plate# with mud and not getting stopped or drawing suspicion, driving with one arm and wresting angie, killing her in silence, escaping the APB if there was one, not having someone see you in the highway, disposing the body in a way that no one finds it, eliminating the vehicle after the crime, and also not getting any questioning after the police and FBI investigate 1600 possible hits. Once again, he is one highly skilled WELL you know what.
I will do my best to answer your questions with the information that we have now.
1. Where is the truck? That body style and year of truck was very popular as you heard on the segment the highway patrol came up with 1600 possible matches in the state of Missouri and we dont even know if the truck was indeed registered here. He could easily remove the mural in the back window and the truck blends in with all the rest. For all we know once he got far enough away he could have taken the truck to a junk yard and sold it for scrap.

Next, The killer did not have to kill Angie before getting away. He could have knocked her out or sedated her with chlorophorm, who knows. He may also have conviced her that he would not hurt her if she would just be calm, in her panic state of mind she may have beileved him and not fought with him. As far as someone reporting seeing the truck goes, just imagine yourself driving down the highway one night and the next day someone asking you to remember a certain vehicle that drove by you or passed you. If your not looking for a certain car then you just space off and pay no mind to every make and model of car that you encounter.

As for your last question about them leaving the BBQ and Rob having two hours to kill her, for that to have happened Rob's brother would have had to by lying when he said Rob was home watching him at 10pm and Angie's friend would have had to lie when she said she was with her between 10:00 and 11:00PM. I also don't think it took any skill on the part of the abductor to hide his plates, a handful of mud would do the trick just fine. When you talk about how odd it is he got away just think about the other two women in the area that disappeared, no one saw anything suspicious then either, no witnesses and no one was ever caught and charged with the crime.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #71
longliveum
Frequent Poster

You're welcome Kane7474...here are the last (3) of the articles I have. I would have loved to have downloaded all of them but I had to pay $3 or $4 for each so I had to set a limit.

The Kansas City Star

April 13, 1991
Are disappearances linked? Investigators need proof Serial killer theory is built on thin evidence.
Edition: MID-AMERICA
Index Terms:
Murder
Estimated printed pages: 4
Article Text:
CLINTON, Mo.-As gruesome as it sounds, investigators really need another body.
They would rather find Cheryl Ann Kenney and Angela Hammond alive, of course, but if the two missing women are dead, authorities need to find them to help piece together what is now little more than a scrambled puzzle of speculation and coincidence.
The disappearances of Kenney in Nevada and Hammond in Clinton, and the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby in Macks Creek, have prompted investigators, residents and the press to wonder about a link - to ask whether a serial killer is at work in west-central Missouri.
But so far, federal, state, county and local officers searching for the two women have barely enough information to try to find them, let alone figure out whether they are victims of the same criminal.
"You've got to have some concrete physical evidence before determining if there's any pattern," said Max Geiman, an FBI spokesm! an in Kansas City. "There's not been anything at all to tie these together yet. " Typically, serial killer investigations develop by looking for patterns in victims, methods or frequency.
In the three recent cases, over less than 11 weeks, Darby, Kenney and Hammond disappeared from otherwise deserted stores in their rural hometowns, about 80 miles apart.
Each woman is white and was alone when she vanished. At least two, and possibly all three, apparently were outside the store. In two of the cases, a possible suspect was described as a white man with a beard and moustache.
But in other respects, no pattern is apparent.
The women range in age from 20 to 42. They vary in height from 5 feet to 5 feet 7 inches. Two are blonde; one has light-brown hair. One was robbed of cash; the others had little or no money.
Geiman said investigators cannot really connect the apparent abductions without finding the women.
I! f they are dead, finding them would provide critical information to de velop a profile of the killer. Such information includes autopsy results to let officers know how the person died, and perhaps some similarities in the areas where the bodies are found.
Without anything specific to suggest a serial killer in the three recent cases, investigators at this point continue to tackle the disappearances as separate cases, while continuing to compare notes.
Meanwhile, rumors fly in all three towns about what happened to the women, and residents try to keep it from happening again.
Neighbors watch out for each other a little more, and friends keep better tabs on friends.
Debbie Hicks, who, with her husband, owns the convenience store where Darby worked, said she is much more aware of strangers.
"I find myself watching what cars pull up and who gets out," Hicks said. "We've always known that someone might pull a gun or something,but this wasn't just a robbery. This was different. It's sick. " Darby vanishes ! in January The first case began unfolding about 10 p.m. on Jan. 19 when Trudy Darby, 42, was closing the K&D Country Corner convenience store in Macks Creek. Darby called her son because she was concerned about a suspicious man outside. She gave no description.
By the time her son arrived a few minutes later, Darby was gone. The store was unlocked, the lights were on, and about $220 was missing from the cash drawer.
Her nude body was found two days later in the Little Niangua River. She had been shot twice in the head with an automatic pistol.
About three or four weeks later, authorities found all of Darby's clothes in the river. Tipton said they also found the store's bank bag with Darby's rings inside, but not the stolen cash.
Area residents who passed by the store the Saturday night Darby disappeared told authorities of a large, light blue car, possibly a Chevrolet Impala or Caprice, parked in a rest area near the store. Tipton said the man was described as "barely fitting behind the w heel," in his late 30s or early 40s, with a beard and moustache.
That man has not been found. Tipton said he has little else to go on, even though his case is farther along than the others in that Darby's body was found.
"Our case is at a standstill," the sheriff said. "If one of their cases develops, our case may develop. " About 80 miles west of Macks Creek on U.S. 54 in Nevada, Cheryl Ann Kenney vanished 39 days after Darby disappeared.
Shortly after 10 p.m. on Feb. 27, Kenney, 30, locked up LJ's Quality Convenience Store. She has not been heard from since.
Nevada police say they found her car parked at the store. It was locked and undisturbed. Nothing was missing from the store.
"We don't have a suspect or anything," Nevada Police Capt. John Eador said. "We can't say we've even had an abduction for sure, but we're working it as if there's foul play involved and hoping for the best. " Police checked into thr! ee possible sightings of Kenney in Lamar, Mo., in March, but none of those was confirmed. Authorities also question whether she would voluntarily have left her husband, two children and ailing father while carrying only about $6. Thirty-six days after Kenney disappeared, Hammond, 20, vanished shortly before midnight April 4 from a Clinton parking lot less than a mile from her home.
As she talked with her fiance, Hammond described a suspicious man in a pickup who was in the parking lot, the fiance told police.
A moment later, she screamed and the line went dead.
Hammond's fiance, Rob Shafer, said he headed for the parking lot. On his way, he said, he passed a pickup and heard Hammond scream his name. Shafer tried to follow the late 1960s Ford truck, which had a water or fish scene in the rear window, but was unable to catch it before his truck's transmission failed.
The Kansas City Star

October 4, 1991
Family of missing woman hasn't given up hope Angela Hammond vanished 6 months ago.
Index Terms:
Kidnapping
Estimated printed pages: 3
Article Text:
CLINTON, Mo. - Day by day, those who know Angela Hammond try to get on with their lives.
Her fiance trains for the military. Her mother plans a long-delayed vacation. Her best friend seeks work in Colorado.
And yet they can't forget the night, six months ago today, when Hammond vanished just a few blocks from this west-central Missouri town's square. She hasn't been seen or heard from since.
"I know the statistics aren't good at this point for finding her, but until something happens, you can't give up," Hammond's mother, Marsha Cook, said this week. "The hope is always going to be there. " Hammond, 20, disappeared about 11:45 p.m. on April 4. Police think she was abducted while talking to her fiance from a pay telephone in supermarket parking lot. Hammond's fiance heard her scream, then the line went dead.
The disappearance sparked an intensive air and ground search across the region for days. A sp! ecial team of investigators - including Highway Patrol officers and federal agents - dug into the case. A reward fund topped $16,000.
Authorities also searched unsuccessfully for possible links to two similar disappearances in western Missouri.
In Nevada, a convenience store worker disappeared after closing up shop Feb. 27. In Macks Creek, Mo., another convenience store worker was robbed and abducted Jan. 19. Her body was found in the Little Niangua River two days later. Those cases also remain unsolved.
Investigators said this week that although similarities exist among the three cases, there still is no concrete evidence to connect the crimes.
And so far no solid clues in Hammond's case have been found.
Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons said the investigation was no further along today than it was a few weeks after Hammond was abducted.
"There's someone out there who has information, but they just may not real! ize it," Parsons said. "Until they come forward or until she's found, there really is not much more we could do. " Authorities and Hammond's friends and family are now pinning their hopes on network television for leads in the case. The NBC-TV program "Unsolved Mysteries" will be in Clinton next week to re-enact the kidnapping. The episode is tentatively set to air in early December.
"Hopefully somebody will see this and have some information," said Hammond's stepmother, Kathy Hammond, of Olathe. "We feel so helpless and frustrated because there isn't anything we can do.
Maybe this show will bring some answers. " But the show may bring false hope. David Rader, one of the program's producers, said only two of 49 missing-persons cases presented on the show have been solved.
Police are looking for a late 1960s model Ford pickup with a water or outdoor scene in the rear window and possibly with a white top. The truck may have damage to its left front fender.
Two witnesses told police they saw a whit! e man with a mustache wearing a dark-colored baseball-style cap sitting in the truck near the telephone booth Hammond was using.
The witnesses' description is similar to one Hammond gave her fiance moments before the line went dead.
The lingering investigation has left Hammond's friends and family in a state of limbo.
"I guess you think time will heal everything, but we're six months down the road now and I'm still not any better," Cook said.
"It's still just a roller coaster of emotions. " This week Cook was planning her first vacation since her daughter disappeared. She won a trip to Florida through her work, but leaving was not an easy decision to make.
"I need some time to step back, but it was hard to decide to go out of town," Cook said. "I was convinced, though, that it would be OK to leave for a couple of days, and I really need that time. " Rob Shafer, Hammond's fiance, has been training as a National Guardsma! n at Fort Eustis, Va., since June. Attempts to reach him by telephone this week were unsuccessful.
But Hammond's mother said Shafer seems to be taking the disappearance hard. "He's kind of shut himself off," Cook said.
Posters still hang in storefront windows here and at truck stops and rest areas across the Midwest. Police have checked possible sightings of Hammond as far as Texas and looked into suspects in and out of prison. Conservation agents patrolling the area's hills and lakes are routinely reminded of the case.
"At least I know people are still out there looking," Cook said.
The Kansas City Star

December 14, 1991
Missing Missouri woman reportedly sighted Angela Hammond disappeared in April. Man says he saw her in Canada in September.
Section: METROPOLITAN
Article Text:
An unconfirmed sighting of a missing Missouri woman has sparked new - but cautious - hope that she may be alive.
A Canadian resident says he saw Angela Hammond leaving a drugstore in Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada, in September. She got into a pickup truck.
Hammond, 20, has been missing since April 4, when she disappeared while talking to her fiance from an outdoor telephone in Clinton, Mo.
Russell Smith of Libau, Manitoba, said in a telephone interview Friday that he is positive that he saw Hammond.
"I know that I saw the girl," Smith said. "I know that for a fact. I may not remember someone's name, but I never forget a face. " Smith said he saw Hammond get into a green truck, which had a white top and a mural in the rear window. The truck's description is nearly identical to one seen near Hammond minutes before she disappeared.
Authorities in Clinton and in Canada said Friday that they do not doub! t Smith's sincerity but have been unable to confirm his sighting.
"Whether it's good or not, who knows? " Clinton Police Chief Bob Pattison said. "It was good enough to alert the Canadian authorities, but so far nothing has turned up. " Sgt. Bob MacQuarrie of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a telephone interview Friday that his officers followed up on the tip without success.
"We're at a dead end," MacQuarrie said. "We've tried about everything we can do here. " Hammond was four months pregnant when she vanished and would have already given birth when Smith believes he saw her. Canadian police showed Hammond's picture everywhere, from hospitals to infant-clothing stores, motels to social-service agencies, but came up empty-handed.
Smith, 41, said he stumbled into the case in October while visiting relatives in Urich, Mo., which is about 15 miles from Clinton.
Smith noticed a missing persons poster featuring Hammon! d and thought she looked familiar. He later remembered he had seen a woman resembling Hammond leaving the Selkirk drugstore. Smith then went to Clinton police.
Selkirk is near Winnipeg, Manitoba, about 850 miles north of Kansas City on Interstate 29.
Hammond's mother, Marsha Cook, said Friday that the possible sighting was encouraging, but "I try to take it all with a grain of salt. " Police continue to look for possible links to at least three other apparent abductions that occurred this year within an 80-mile radius. So far, no connection has been established. The three: Trudy Darby, 42, who disappeared from the Camden County, Mo., convenience store where she worked. Moments earlier during a telephone conversation, she had told her son of a suspicious-looking man outside. Darby's body was found two days later. She had been shot to death.
Cheryl Ann Kinney, 30, who vanished after locking up a Nevada, Mo., convenience store where she worked. Her car, parked about 50 feet from the store, appeared t! o be untouched. She has not been found.
Karol M. Sullens, 18, who was last seen sitting in a pickup with two men on the parking lot of a Galena, Kan., bar where she was a dancer. Sullens left about $300 in cash and her street clothes in the bar.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #72
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by longliveum
You're welcome Kane7474...here are the last (3) of the articles I have. I would have loved to have downloaded all of them but I had to pay $3 or $4 for each so I had to set a limit.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but...

Paper: The Kansas City Star
Title: Squad draws a blank from tips on missing woman 700 calls follow TV show.None substantial.
Author: The Associated Press
Date: February 15, 1992
Page: C2

CLINTON, Mo. - A renewed investigation into the April 1991 disappearance of a young Clinton woman slowed Friday, despite about 700 tips triggered by a national television show. "Right now we haven't come up with anything ... that will support the case as to her known whereabouts or put some conclusion on this case. We have kind of drawn a blank," said Tom Van Zandt, spokesman for the Rural Major Case Squad.

A segment last week on NBC television's "Unsolved Mysteries" about the disappearance of Angela Hammond, 20, produced telephone calls from throughout the United States and Canada, but none of the clues was substantial, Van Zandt said.

The major case squad, comprising officers from police agencies in 11 counties and the Missouri Highway Patrol, was activated for five days through Friday after the report.

"We've run down just about all the leads and wrapped things up today," Van Zandt said Friday. "The matter has been turned back to Clinton police and Henry County authorities.

"The case is going to remain open. If something comes up, we'll probably be back down there. " Most of the tips in the Hammond case came from outside the west-central section of Missouri where she lived and pertained to purported sightings of her, a possible suspect in her disappearance or the pickup truck the suspect drove, Van Zandt said.

Police say Hammond disappeared the night of April 4 while talking to her fiance, Rob Shafer, from a pay telephone in a grocery's parking lot. Shafer said Hammond told him a man got out of a pickup truck and walked up to the phone booth twice. Shafer said he then heard a scream.

Shafer said he drove toward the grocery, passed a pickup and heard his fiance scream his name from the truck. He said his truck stalled when he chased the other vehicle.

Hammond was the third woman to disappear from a store within an 80-mile radius since mid-January 1991. The body of Trudy Darby, 42, of Macks Creek was found after she vanished from the store where she worked. Cheryl Ann Kenney, 30, was never seen after she closed a Nevada convenience store Feb. 27, 1991.

Van Zandt said the reopened investigation did not develop new leads on the other women's deaths.

Author: The Associated Press
Page: C2

Copyright 1992, 1996 The Kansas City Star Co.

Title: Good news series, other items of note
Author: BARRY GARRON
Date: December 10, 1991
Section: STYLE
Page: F2

News, notes, events and happenings in the wonderful world of broadcasting: Good news is where you find it, and VH-1 found it in Kansas City. The video music cable channel, carried on Jones Intercable and Telecable, was in the area Monday to tape some good news for a series of 70-second spots that could begin to run as early as late January.

The segments are on Kansas City Habitat for Humanity, which has built 64 homes for low-income families. Other VH-1 segments have been taped in Chicago, Detroit and Wichita. More are to be taped on the West Coast next year.

Producer-director Scott Moore taped interviews with John Pritchard, founder of the local chapter, and Marian Landes, a volunteer. He also taped at two houses on Highland Avenue, where Habitat has built more than a dozen homes.

Beginning as early as late January, VH-1 will show these "good news" segments throughout the day for several months. "In these times, a little glimmer of hope is what everybody needs," Moore said.

The segments do not yet have a name. VH-1 planned to call them "Local Heroes" until it found out that the Arts & Entertainment channel already was using that name.

The abduction of Angela Hammond, who is believed to have been taken from a phone booth in a supermarket parking lot in Clinton, Mo., will be re-enacted on "Unsolved Mysteries" at 7 p.m. Wednesday on Channel 4. The incident occurred April 4. Local actors were hired for two of the key roles. Tammy Stevens of Blue Springs plays Hammond, who was 20 at the time. Paul Wirtz plays her fiance, Rob Shafer, the last person to whom she is known to have spoken.

KSMO, Channel 62, has purchased local broadcast rights to carry reruns of "Empty Nest. " The situation comedy is available for broadcast in syndication beginning in the fall of 1993.

Starting this week, Chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas' radio show originates from Three-G's Restaurant and Lounge, 6015 Troost Ave. The show is broadcast at 6 p.m. Mondays on KPRS-FM (103.3).

The program emcee is Al Wallace of WDAF, Channel 4. The program, "3rd-and-Long," features in-person and phone interviews as well as comments from listeners.

KMBZ-AM (980) and sister station KLTH-FM (99.7) will solicit donations and pledges on Wednesday for the Salvation Army during the annual Radio-A-Thon.

KMBZ reporter Dan Verbeck will be stationed at the southeast corner of Southwest Trafficway and Westport Road from 5 to 8:30 a.m. KLTH hosts Jim Welch and Roberta Solomon will be at a service station on the corner of College Boulevard and Antioch Road from 5:30 to 9 a.m. J.C. Lunceford, afternoon disc jockey on KCFX-FM (101.1), will camp out for 51 hours at Price Chopper, 103rd Street and State Line Road, to collect non-perishable food for Harvesters. Lunceford's show will be broadca st from the parking lot today through Thursday.

Lunceford's goal is to surpass the 2.5 tons of food collected last year.

KBEA-AM (1480) will mark Frank Sinatra's 76th birthday by playing his music and collecting signatures on a giant birthday card.

Host Dave Wilson and Metro Traffic reporter Bill Grady will play Sinatra songs and provide Sinatra trivia from 7 to 9 a.m. Thursday. The card will be available for signatures between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. at the Ward Parkway Shopping Center and between 2 and 6 p.m. at the Indian Springs Shopping Center.

Reporter Dan Verbeck is the host of an hourlong, commercial-free news special on death and dying at 2 p.m. Thursday on KMBZ-AM (980).

The program, "Making the Decision: Living Fully by Dying," includes an interview with the director of the Kansas City Hospice and a hospice patient.

The program will be repeated at 7 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. Saturday.

Author: BARRY GARRON
Section: STYLE
Page: F2
Column: BARRY GARRON

Copyright 1991, 1996 The Kansas City Star Co.

Title: Family of missing woman hasn't given up hope Angela Hammond vanished 6 months ago.
Author: LANE BEAUCHAMP
Date: October 4, 1991

CLINTON, Mo. - Day by day, those who know Angela Hammond try to get on with their lives. Her fiance trains for the military. Her mother plans a long-delayed vacation. Her best friend seeks work in Colorado.

And yet they can't forget the night, six months ago today, when Hammond vanished just a few blocks from this west-central Missouri town's square. She hasn't been seen or heard from since.

"I know the statistics aren't good at this point for finding her, but until something happens, you can't give up," Hammond's mother, Marsha Cook, said this week. "The hope is always going to be there. " Hammond, 20, disappeared about 11:45 p.m. on April 4. Police think she was abducted while talking to her fiance from a pay telephone in supermarket parking lot. Hammond's fiance heard her scream, then the line went dead.

The disappearance sparked an intensive air and ground search across the region for days. A special team of investigators - including Highway Patrol officers and federal agents - dug into the case. A reward fund topped $16,000.

Authorities also searched unsuccessfully for possible links to two similar disappearances in western Missouri.

In Nevada, a convenience store worker disappeared after closing up shop Feb. 27. In Macks Creek, Mo., another convenience store worker was robbed and abducted Jan. 19. Her body was found in the Little Niangua River two days later. Those cases also remain unsolved.

Investigators said this week that although similarities exist among the three cases, there still is no concrete evidence to connect the crimes.

And so far no solid clues in Hammond's case have been found.

Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons said the investigation was no further along today than it was a few weeks after Hammond was abducted.

"There's someone out there who has information, but they just may not realize it," Parsons said. "Until they come forward or until she's found, there really is not much more we could do. " Authorities and Hammond's friends and family are now pinning their hopes on network television for leads in the case. The NBC-TV program "Unsolved Mysteries" will be in Clinton next week to re-enact the kidnapping. The episode is tentatively set to air in early December.

"Hopefully somebody will see this and have some information," said Hammond's stepmother, Kathy Hammond, of Olathe. "We feel so helpless and frustrated because there isn't anything we can do.

Maybe this show will bring some answers. " But the show may bring false hope. David Rader, one of the program's producers, said only two of 49 missing-persons cases presented on the show have been solved.

Police are looking for a late 1960s model Ford pickup with a water or outdoor scene in the rear window and possibly with a white top. The truck may have damage to its left front fender.

Two witnesses told police they saw a white man with a mustache wearing a dark-colored baseball-style cap sitting in the truck near the telephone booth Hammond was using.

The witnesses' description is similar to one Hammond gave her fiance moments before the line went dead.

The lingering investigation has left Hammond's friends and family in a state of limbo.

"I guess you think time will heal everything, but we're six months down the road now and I'm still not any better," Cook said.

"It's still just a roller coaster of emotions. " This week Cook was planning her first vacation since her daughter disappeared. She won a trip to Florida through her work, but leaving was not an easy decision to make.

"I need some time to step back, but it was hard to decide to go out of town," Cook said. "I was convinced, though, that it would be OK to leave for a couple of days, and I really need that time. " Rob Shafer, Hammond's fiance, has been training as a National Guardsman at Fort Eustis, Va., since June. Attempts to reach him by telephone this week were unsuccessful.

But Hammond's mother said Shafer seems to be taking the disappearance hard. "He's kind of shut himself off," Cook said.

Posters still hang in storefront windows here and at truck stops and rest areas across the Midwest. Police have checked possible sightings of Hammond as far as Texas and looked into suspects in and out of prison. Conservation agents patrolling the area's hills and lakes are routinely reminded of the case.

"At least I know people are still out there looking," Cook said.

Caption:
CAPTION: Angela Hammond

Caption:
Photo

Title: Crime squad enlisted to aid Clinton police Leads had been exhausted in apparent abduction of woman.
Date: April 16, 1991
Page: B1

Eleven days after a 20-year-old woman vanished from a store parking lot, police in Clinton, Mo., have called in the Missouri Rural Crime Squad for help. About 25 officers from 15 counties began poring over information Monday in the disappearance of Angela M. Hammond.

Hammond apparently was abducted April 4 while she talked to her fiance from a telephone booth at a Clinton supermarket parking lot.

She has not been seen since.

Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons said in a telephone interview Monday that his department asked for the special squad now "because we needed the help. " Parsons said he did not think the week-and-a-half delay in seeking the extra assistance had hampered the search for Hammond.

Since Hammond disappeared, Clinton officers have received assistance from the FBI, Missouri Highway Patrol and Henry County Sheriff's Department.

But after exhausting all their leads, investigators have decided to attack the case with more manpower, said Thomas Van Zandt, the squad's spokesman and the Lexington, Mo., police chief.

The squad will focus on finding the pickup truck thought to have been used by Hammond's abductor, Van Zandt said. At this time, however, the squad will not look into two other recent cases in which women were abducted in west central Missouri, he said.

Hammond described a truck and a suspicious man to her fiance while they talked on the phone shortly before midnight April 4. Then the telephone line went dead. Her fiance, Rob Shafer, said he saw a pickup fitting Hammond's description as he raced toward the supermarket after the call was disconnected. But he could not catch up with it.

Van Zandt said the truck is thought to be a green, late 1960s model Ford with a water or fishing scene in the rear window. The truck also may have damage to its left front bumper, he said.

Hammond's mother, Marsha Cook, said she was glad to see the added help of the crime squad.

"They're not sitting still," Cook said. "They're working on it, so we're very pleased. We've more or less left the investigation up to the police, and they've been wonderful. " Hammond is white, 5 feet tall and weighs 140 pounds. She has brown eyes and light brown hair. She was last seen wearing a white shirt with black spots, black slacks and tennis shoes.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Clinton Police Department at (816) 885-5561.

Title: Are disappearances linked? Investigators need proof Serial killer theory is built on thin evidence.
Date: April 13, 1991

CLINTON, Mo.-As gruesome as it sounds, investigators really need another body. They would rather find Cheryl Ann Kenney and Angela Hammond alive, of course, but if the two missing women are dead, authorities need to find them to help piece together what is now little more than a scrambled puzzle of speculation and coincidence.

The disappearances of Kenney in Nevada and Hammond in Clinton, and the abduction and murder of Trudy Darby in Macks Creek, have prompted investigators, residents and the press to wonder about a link - to ask whether a serial killer is at work in west-central Missouri.

But so far, federal, state, county and local officers searching for the two women have barely enough information to try to find them, let alone figure out whether they are victims of the same criminal.

"You've got to have some concrete physical evidence before determining if there's any pattern," said Max Geiman, an FBI spokesman in Kansas City. "There's not been anything at all to tie these together yet. " Typically, serial killer investigations develop by looking for patterns in victims, methods or frequency.

In the three recent cases, over less than 11 weeks, Darby, Kenney and Hammond disappeared from otherwise deserted stores in their rural hometowns, about 80 miles apart.

Each woman is white and was alone when she vanished. At least two, and possibly all three, apparently were outside the store. In two of the cases, a possible suspect was described as a white man with a beard and moustache.

But in other respects, no pattern is apparent.

The women range in age from 20 to 42. They vary in height from 5 feet to 5 feet 7 inches. Two are blonde; one has light-brown hair. One was robbed of cash; the others had little or no money.

Geiman said investigators cannot really connect the apparent abductions without finding the women.

If they are dead, finding them would provide critical information to develop a profile of the killer. Such information includes autopsy results to let officers know how the person died, and perhaps some similarities in the areas where the bodies are found.

Without anything specific to suggest a serial killer in the three recent cases, investigators at this point continue to tackle the disappearances as separate cases, while continuing to compare notes.

Meanwhile, rumors fly in all three towns about what happened to the women, and residents try to keep it from happening again.

Neighbors watch out for each other a little more, and friends keep better tabs on friends.

Debbie Hicks, who, with her husband, owns the convenience store where Darby worked, said she is much more aware of strangers.

"I find myself watching what cars pull up and who gets out," Hicks said. "We've always known that someone might pull a gun or something,but this wasn't just a robbery. This was different. It's sick. " Darby vanishes in January The first case began unfolding about 10 p.m. on Jan. 19 when Trudy Darby, 42, was closing the K&D Country Corner convenience store in Macks Creek. Darby called her son because she was concerned about a suspicious man outside. She gave no description.

By the time her son arrived a few minutes later, Darby was gone. The store was unlocked, the lights were on, and about $220 was missing from the cash drawer.

Her nude body was found two days later in the Little Niangua River. She had been shot twice in the head with an automatic pistol.

About three or four weeks later, authorities found all of Darby's clothes in the river. Tipton said they also found the store's bank bag with Darby's rings inside, but not the stolen cash.

Area residents who passed by the store the Saturday night Darby disappeared told authorities of a large, light blue car, possibly a Chevrolet Impala or Caprice, parked in a rest area near the store.

Tipton said the man was described as "barely fitting behind the wheel," in his late 30s or early 40s, with a beard and moustache.

That man has not been found. Tipton said he has little else to go on, even though his case is farther along than the others in that Darby's body was found.

"Our case is at a standstill," the sheriff said. "If one of their cases develops, our case may develop. " About 80 miles west of Macks Creek on U.S. 54 in Nevada, Cheryl Ann Kenney vanished 39 days after Darby disappeared.

Shortly after 10 p.m. on Feb. 27, Kenney, 30, locked up LJ's Quality Convenience Store. She has not been heard from since.

Nevada police say they found her car parked at the store. It was locked and undisturbed. Nothing was missing from the store.

"We don't have a suspect or anything," Nevada Police Capt. John Eador said. "We can't say we've even had an abduction for sure, but we're working it as if there's foul play involved and hoping for the best. " Police checked into three possible sightings of Kenney in Lamar, Mo., in March, but none of those was confirmed. Authorities also question whether she would voluntarily have left her husband, two children and ailing father while carrying only about $6. Thirty-six days after Kenney disappeared, Hammond, 20, vanished shortly before midnight April 4 from a Clinton parking lot less than a mile from her home.

As she talked with her fiance, Hammond described a suspicious man in a pickup who was in the parking lot, the fiance told police.

A moment later, she screamed and the line went dead.

Hammond's fiance, Rob Shafer, said he headed for the parking lot. On his way, he said, he passed a pickup and heard Hammond scream his name. Shafer tried to follow the late 1960s Ford truck, which had a water or fish scene in the rear window, but was unable to catch it before his truck's transmission failed.

Photo

Title: FBI questions teens about missing woman Lie-detector tests are given to her fiance and former boyfriend.
Date: April 11, 1991

The fiance and a former boyfriend of a missing Clinton, Mo., woman were given lie-detector tests Wednesday, but investigators refused to comment on the results. The two teen-agers said they were questioned about whether they were involved in the disappearance of 20-year-old Angela M. Hammond, who apparently was abducted a week ago from a Clinton supermarket parking lot.

"I guess they were just trying to clear us as suspects," said Bill Barker, the 17-year-old former boyfriend of Hammond, in a telephone interview. "They were asking why we would do something like this to her. " Hammond's fiance, Rob Shafer, said FBI agents administering the tests implied that he and Barker might have been involved.

"They don't think my story's very good," Shafer, 18, said by phone. "I told them everything I know. " Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons, who is heading the investigation, and FBI spokesman Max Geiman declined to discuss the polygraph tests. Both men said investigators continued to follow up on leads but had not made any substantial progress Wednesday.

Parsons said that while "everyone is a suspect," Shafer and Barker were questioned as "primary witnesses. " Barker said he was questioned for about three hours Wednesday afternoon; Shafer said he spent about five hours with FBI agents.

"I think they're barking up the wrong tree here," Shafer said.

"They need to focus on who really did this and not on people who didn't. " Hammond, who is four months pregnant, disappeared last Thursday from a parking lot telephone booth at a Clinton supermarket. Shafer has said he and Hammond were talking about a suspicious man nearby when he heard her scream and the phone line went dead.

Shafer said he jumped in his truck and was rushing toward the parking lot, a few blocks from his home, when he heard Hammond yell his name from a passing pickup. Shafer said he tried to follow the truck but could not catch it before his truck's transmission gave out.

Parsons said Shafer was given a ride to the police station and arrived about midnight. Hammond was last seen by friends about 11:15 p.m. Thursday. She apparently stopped at the phone booth because she did not have a telephone.

Shafer and Barker said they have been out looking for Hammond every day since she disappeared.

"We haven't found anything yet," said Barker, who has continued his friendship with Hammond since they stopped dating late last year. "In a way that could be good. We just don't know. " Hammond was described as 5 feet tall, 140 pounds, with light brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a white shirt with black spots, black slacks and tennis shoes. The truck was described as a green, late 1960s model Ford with a water or fish scene in the back window. Anyone with information is asked to call the Clinton Police Department at (816) 885-5561.

Paper: Hutchinson News, The (KS)
Title: 04/09/91
Date: April 9, 1991

Since Jan. 19, three women from towns within 80 miles of one another have disappeared late at night from deserted stores. Two of the women were closing up shop. The third, Ms. Hammond, had stopped to call her fiance.Third woman vanishes from a store

By Lane Beauchamp

Kansas City Star

CLINTON, Mo. _ A woman screams, her pay phone goes dead. With that, the FBI and police in west-central Missouri have yet a third baffling case of a woman vanishing from a store in her hometown. The disappearance Thursday of Angela M. Hammond from a telephone booth outside the Food Barn in Clinton is sparking new concern among investigators that the crimes are more than coincidence. Since Jan. 19, three women from towns within 80 miles of one another have disappeared late at night from deserted stores. Two of the women were closing up shop. The third, Ms. Hammond, had stopped to call her fiance. Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons said Sunday that there is nothing definitive to link the crimes, but "you've got to keep it in mind." FBI spokesman Jeff Lanza said, "The possibility that all are related is only a theory at this point but one we are investigating." One of the three women, Trudy Darby of Macks Creek, was found dead. The search continues for Ms. Hammond and Cheryl!
Ann Kenney of Nevada. The absence of any solid leads makes the going rough. In Ms. Darby's case, police have gotten conflicting descriptions of a man seen in the area. No one has been able to provide a suspect in the Kenney case. Ms. Hammond's case gives police the best lead so far. And even that is a sketchy description of a suspect: a dirty-looking white man with a mustache and beard, driving a 1969 or 1970 Ford pickup and wearing overalls. Local, county, state and federal authorities are sharing notes and following up leads in hopes of breaking open the three cases. The women: _ Angela M. Hammond, 20. She was last heard from Thursday night when she talked to her fiance from the telephone booth. She told her fiance of a truck circling the lot. Then he heard a scream and the line went dead. _ Cheryl Ann Kenney, 30. Ms. Kenney was last seen Feb. 27 as she closed a Nevada convenience store. The store was found locked, and her car was parked nearby. Nevada Police Lt. Norman !
Turner said Sunday that authorities have not ruled out that Ms. Kenney
, depressed over her mother's recent death, may have left on her own. But, Turner said, she left behind her two children and husband, an ailing father she visited every day and her car. Ms. Kenney also had only about $6 when she vanished. _ Trudy Darby, 42. Ms. Darby disappeared Jan. 19 from the Camden County convenience store where she worked. In a brief telephone conversation with her son that evening she told of a suspicious-looking man outside. The store was found unlocked and the cash drawer empty. Ms. Darby was found shot to death two days later. Investigators have said there might be a link between Ms. Darby's abduction and killing and an attempted kidnapping 90 minutes earlier in Sedalia. As for the search for Ms. Hammond on Sunday, there were no developments, Parsons said. About 250 volunteers searched the woods and fields of Clinton and Henry County, looking for any sign of Ms. Hammond or the man she described, but they came across nothing. "I just want to find her!
," said Ms. Hammond's 18-year-old fiance, Rob Shafer. "I haven't lost hope." Friends and relatives described Ms. Hammond as an outgoing, personable woman who "loved to have fun." Ms. Hammond usually worked nights at a Clinton bank but did not work the night she disappeared. Ms. Hammond's best friend, Kyla Engeman, said she and Ms. Hammond had been cruising the town square when they split up about 11:15 p.m. Ms. Hammond, who did not have a telephone, stopped by the parking lot booth to call Shafer. Shafer said they talked for about 30 minutes. During that conversation Ms. Hammond told of a man who used a telephone next to her, left in a pickup truck, then returned and circled the parking lot. A moment later, Shafer heard Ms. Hammond scream. Shafer said he drove toward the supermarket, only a few blocks from his house. As he approached he saw a yellow or green pickup coming toward him and heard Ms. Hammond scream his name. Although he did not see her, he turned around and tri!
ed to follow the truck. He lost it when his truck stalled. As searcher
s fanned out Sunday, Ms. Hammond's mother, Marsha Cook of nearby Montrose, expressed amazement at the support. "You never know how many friends you have until something like this happens," Ms. Cook said. "It's absolutely wonderful." Ms. Cook also echoed a feeling shared by many throughout this community: "Things like this just don't happen in places like Clinton, Mo. She didn't know enough to be afraid." Darlene McFeters, assistant manager at a convenience store two blocks from where Ms. Hammond disappeared, said the event had made her more careful. "You move to a small town thinking you're getting away from that," Ms. McFeters said. "I don't know how anybody could not be more cautious now. You just have to be."

Copyright (c) 1991, The Hutchinson Publishing Co.

Title: Search turns up no new clues in disappearance
Author: Springfield Bureau
Date: April 9, 1991
Section: JOHNSON COUNTY/METRO
Page: B6

The Henry County Sheriff's Department and police in Clinton, Mo., are continuing to investigate the disappearance of a 20-year-old Clinton woman. Authorities say the woman, Angela M. Hammond, last was heard from in a telephone call to her fiance Thursday night. She made the call from a grocery store parking lot.

Authorities say the fiance, Rob Shafer, 18, was talking to Hammond when she reported that a strange vehicle was circling the lot. She screamed, and the phone line went dead. Her car was found near the pay phone, officers said.

More than 150 volunteers on Sunday combed roadside areas in Henry and Clinton counties but discovered no leads in the disappearance.

Authorities were continuing to check leads Monday, but no active searches were under way, according to a dispatcher with the Clinton Police Department.

Author: Springfield Bureau
Section: JOHNSON COUNTY/METRO
Page: B6

Title: Latest disappearance offers first lead
Date: April 8, 1991

CLINTON, Mo. - A woman screams, her pay phone goes dead. With that, the FBI and police in west-central Missouri have yet a third baffling case of a woman vanishing from a store in her hometown. The disappearance Thursday of Angela M. Hammond from a telephone booth outside the Food Barn in Clinton is sparking new concern among investigators that the crimes are more than coincidence.

Since Jan. 19, three women from towns within 80 miles of one another have disappeared late at night from deserted stores. Two of the women were closing up shop. The third, Hammond, had stopped to call her fiance.

Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons said Sunday that there is nothing definitive to link the crimes, but "you've got to keep it in mind. " FBI spokesman Jeff Lanza said, "The possibility that all are related is only a theory at this point but one we are investigating. " One of the three women, Trudy Darby of Macks Creek, was found dead. The search continues for Hammond and Cheryl Ann Kenney of Nevada.

The absence of any solid leads makes the going rough. In Darby's case, police have gotten conflicting descriptions of a man seen in the area. No one has been able to provide a suspect in the Kenney case.

Hammond's case gives police the best lead so far. And even that is a sketchy description of a suspect: a dirty-looking white man with a mustache and beard, driving a 1969 or 1970 Ford pickup and wearing overalls.

Local, county, state and federal authorities are sharing notes and following up leads in hopes of breaking open the three cases.

The women: Angela M. Hammond, 20. Hammond was last heard from Thursday night when she talked to her fiance from the telephone booth. She told her fiance of a truck circling the lot. Then he heard a scream and the line went dead.

Hammond, who is four months pregnant, was born in the Kansas City area and moved away at age 4. Her father, Chris Hammond, lives in Olathe.

Cheryl Ann Kenney, 30. Kenney was last seen Feb. 27 as she closed a Nevada convenience store. The store was found locked, and Kenney's car was parked nearby.

Nevada Police Lt. Norman Turner said Sunday that authorities have not ruled out that Kenney, depressed over her mother's recent death, may have left on her own. But, Turner said, she left behind her two children and husband, an ailing father she visited every day and her car. Kenney also had only about $6 when she vanished.

Trudy Darby, 42. Darby disappeared Jan. 19 from the Camden County convenience store where she worked. In a brief telephone conversation with her son that evening she told of a suspicious-looking man outside. The store was found unlocked and the cash drawer empty.

Darby was found shot to death in the Little Niangua River two days later.

Investigators have said there might be a link between Darby's abduction and killing and an attempted kidnapping 90 minutes earlier in Sedalia.

As for the search for Hammond on Sunday, there were no developments, Parsons said.

About 250 volunteers searched the woods and fields of Clinton and Henry County, looking for any sign of Hammond or the man she described, but they came across nothing.

"I just want to find her," said Hammond's 18-year-old fiance, Rob Shafer. "I haven't lost hope. " Friends and relatives described Hammond as an outgoing, personable young woman who "loved to have fun. " Hammond usually worked nights at a Clinton bank but did not work the night she disappeared.

Hammond's best friend, Kyla Engeman, said she and Hammond had been cruising the town square when they split up about 11:15 p.m. Hammond, who did not have a telephone, stopped by the parking lot booth to call Shafer.

Shafer said they talked for about 30 minutes. During that conversation Hammond told of a man who used a telephone next to her, left in a pickup truck, then returned and circled the parking lot. A moment later, Shafer heard Hammond scream.

Shafer said he drove toward the supermarket, only a few blocks from his house. As he approached he saw a yellow or green pickup coming toward him and heard Hammond scream his name. Although he did not see her, he turned around and tried to follow the truck. He lost it when his truck stalled.

As the searchers fanned out Sunday afternoon, Hammond's mother, Marsha Cook of nearby Montrose, expressed amazement at the support.

"You never know how many friends you have until something like this happens," Cook said. "It's absolutely wonderful. " Cook also echoed a feeling shared by many throughout this community: "Things like this just don't happen in places like Clinton, Mo. She didn't know enough to be afraid. " Chris Hammond, staying in Clinton, could not be reached Sunday night.

Darlene McFeters, assistant manager at a convenience store two blocks from where Hammond disappeared, said the event had made her more careful.

"You move to a small town thinking you're getting away from that," McFeters said. "I don't know how anybody could not be more cautious now.

Caption:
CAPTION: Angela M. Hammond

Caption:
Photo

Paper: Tulsa World
Title: Three vanishings baffle FBI - Missouri residents stunned, cautious
Author: Scripps Howard News Service
Date: April 8, 1991
Section: NEWS
Page: 2A

CLINTON, Mo. - A woman screams and then the phone goes dead. With that, the FBI and police in west-central Missouri have yet a third baffling case of a woman vanishing from a store in her hometown.

The disappearance Thursday of Angela M. Hammond from a telephone booth outside the Food Barn in Clinton is sparking new concern among investigators that the crimes are more than coincidence.Since Jan. 19, three women from towns within 80 miles of

one another have disappeared late at night from deserted

stores. Two of the women were closing up shop. The third, Hammond, had stopped to call her fiance.

Clinton police Detective Damon Parsons said Sunday that there is nothing definitive to link the crimes, but "you've got to keep it in mind."

FBI spokesman Jeff Lanza said, "The possibility that all are related is only a theory at this point but one we are investigating."

One of the three women, Trudy Darby of Macks Creek, was found dead. The search continues for Hammond and Cheryl

Ann Kenney of Nevada, Mo.

The absence of any solid leads makes the going rough. In Darby's case, police have gotten conflicting descriptions of a man seen in the area. No one has been able to provide a suspect in the Kenney case.

Hammond's case gives police the best lead so far. And even that is a sketchy description of a suspect: a dirty-looking white man with a mustache and beard, driving a 1969 or 1970 Ford pickup and wearing overalls.

Investigators look for clues

Local, county, state and federal authorities are sharing notes and following up leads in hopes of breaking open the three cases.

The women:

Hammond, 20, was last heard from Thursday night when she talked to her fiance from the telephone booth. She told

her fiance of a truck circling the lot. Then he heard a

scream and the line went dead.

Kenney, 30, was seen Feb. 27 as she closed a Nevada convenience store. The store was found locked, and her car was parked nearby.

Nevada Police Lt. Norman Turner said Sunday that authorities have not ruled out that Kenney, depressed over her mother's recent death, may have left on her own. But, Turner said, she left behind her two children and husband, an ailing

father she visited every day, and her car. Kenney also had only about $6 when she vanished.

Darby, 42, disappeared Jan. 19 from the Camden County convenience store where she worked. In a brief telephone conversation with her son that evening she told of a suspicious-looking man outside. The store was found unlocked and the cash drawer empty.

Darby was found shot to death two days later.

Investigators have said there might be a link between Darby's abduction and killing and an attempted kidnapping 90 minutes earlier in Sedalia.

As for the search for Hammond on Sunday, there were no developments, Parsons said.

Town searches for woman

About 250 volunteers searched the woods and fields of Clinton and Henry County, looking for any sign of Hammond or the

man she described, but they came across nothing.

"I just want to find her," said Hammond's 18-year-old

fiance, Rob Shafer. "I haven't lost hope."

Friends and relatives described Hammond as an outgoing, personable woman who "loved to have fun." Hammond usually worked nights at a Clinton bank but did not work the night she disappeared.

Hammond's best friend, Kyla Engeman, said she and Hammond had been cruising the town square when they split up about 11:15 p.m. Hammond, who did not have a telephone, stopped by the parking lot booth to call Shafer.

Shafer said they talked for about 30 minutes. During that conversation Hammond told of a man who used a telephone

next to her, left in a pickup truck, then returned and circled the parking lot. A moment later, Shafer heard Hammond scream.

Shafer said he drove toward the supermarket, only a few blocks from his house. As he approached he saw a yellow

or green pickup coming toward him and heard Hammond scream his name. Although he did not see her, he turned around

and tried to follow the truck. He lost it when his truck stalled.

As searchers fanned out Sunday, Hammond's mother, Marsha Cook of nearby Montrose, expressed amazement at the support.

"You never know how many friends you have until something like this happens," Cook said. "It's absolutely wonderful." Unsuspecting victims

Cook also echoed a feeling shared by many throughout this community: "Things like this just don't happen in places

like Clinton, Mo. She didn't know enough to be afraid."

Darlene McFeters, assistant manager at a convenience store two blocks from where Hammond disappeared, said the event had made her more careful.

"You move to a small town thinking you're getting away from that," McFeters said. "I don't know how anybody could not be more cautious now. You just have to be."

Author: Scripps Howard News Service
Section: NEWS
Page: 2A

Copyright 1991 Tulsa World. World Publishing Co.

Title: Clinton woman is kidnapped Boyfriend hears her screams.Link to other abductions suspected.
Author: JOE LAMBE
Date: April 7, 1991

Before she disappeared late Thursday, Angela M. Hammond got off work and called her boyfriend from a pay telephone in an empty supermarket parking lot in Clinton, Mo. As she spoke, the 20-year-old woman noticed an old green pickup circling the lot. Suspicious, she described the truck over the phone. The truck stopped, and she told her boyfriend of the man who got out - a white man with glasses, a mustache and a beard.

Then she screamed, said her boyfriend, Rob Shafer of Clinton.

The phone went dead.

Shafer, 18, said in an interview Saturday that after Hammond screamed he jumped into his car and raced to the Food Barn parking lot, about 11 p.m. Thursday.

He passed what he thought was a yellow truck. Then he heard Hammond scream again.

"When she screamed at me out the window," he said, "I put it in reverse and started chasing him. " Shafer chased the truck about a mile, he said, racing south on Clinton's 2nd Street, then turning west on Culvert Drive.

But his car's transmission failed, Shafer said, and the pickup - maybe a 1969 or 1970 Ford - sped away. The truck may have had a decal of a water scene on the back window.

Hammond has not been seen since. Police found her car in the parking lot that night, said Clinton Detective Damon Parsons. The FBI and Henry County Sheriff also are investigating.

Authorities believe Hammond's abduction could be related to kidnappings in January and February of women in Camden County, Mo., and Nevada, Mo.

One of the women, Trudy Darby, 42, was abducted in January from a convenience store near Macks Creek in Camden County, where she worked as a clerk. Shortly before she disappeared, about 10 p.m. Jan. 19, she called her son from work telling him about a suspicious man outside the store.

When her son arrived five minutes later, he found only his mother's purse and an empty cash drawer, police said. Authorities found Darby's nude body two days later in the Little Niangua River.

She had been shot twice in the head with a shotgun.

The other woman, also a convenience store clerk, disappeared Feb. 27, right after closing up for the night about 10 p.m. Police said the woman, Cheryl Ann Kenney, 30, has never been found. Her car was discovered the next morning outside the Nevada convenience store.

Hammond worked tallying evening accounts at a Clinton bank. Max Geiman, special agent for the FBI in Kansas City, said there was no solid evidence linking the three abductions, but police were examining possible connections.

"This is extremely suspicous," he said.

Police searched the area by air Saturday but found nothing, Parsons said.

Angela's parents, Kathy and Chris Hammond of Olathe, said Saturday that all they can do now is wait and worry. Kathy Hammond has been passing out her stepdaughter's picture to newspapers and television stations, hoping for a breakthrough.

Caption:
CAPTION: Hammond

Caption:
Photo

Author: JOE LAMBE

justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #73
dynoguy88

Default reply

Well, those further articles explain that she didn't have to work that night. At least we now know that. I'm very curious about that sighting of Angela in Canada, though. I hope that witness wasn't making that sighting up because the description of her and the truck match.

I went on to YouTube and took a virtual tour through Clinton thanks to some videos that were posted. The town still looks very much the same as it did on the UM segment 16 years ago.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #74
Tap Dancer
Forum Regular

Quote:
Hammond usually worked nights at a Clinton bank but did not work the night she disappeared.
Quote:
Before she disappeared late Thursday, Angela M. Hammond got off work and called her boyfriend from a pay telephone in an empty supermarket parking lot in Clinton, Mo.
I wonder which is true?
Tap Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #75
Awsi Dooger

Thanks to longliveum and justin for posting these articles. I just started sampling them but a few things jumped out from the first few:

* Angela apparently did not have a phone, explaining why she stopped to call from the pay phone

* Rob did not arrive at the police station until midnight, after being driven there. Presumably he didn't begin telling his story until that point. The abductor was long gone

* The murder that may have been related, Trudy Darby, could have included a sexual assault before the murder. I don't believe the UM segment mentioned that, although it certainly could be guessed from incidents like this. Darby's body was found nude and her clothes were located elsewhere several weeks later
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angela hammond