Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
UMfan77

Default Tracy Kirkpatrick

I don't know how many of you guys have seen this segment, but it's probably from the late eighties. Tracy Kirkpatrick was a teenager that was murdered while working at a lady's sportswear store by herself, this happened in Frederick Maryland. A few months after her murder, some guy called into a confession hotline, admitting to her murder, saying how he would sometimes visit Tracy while she was working and the night he murdered her, they had gotten into an argument. The guy said his name was "Shawn". The police got a copy of the confession tape and tried to figure out who it could be. A psychic from Massachusetts called the police saying that she had been getting calls from a guy that sounded exactly like the guy on the confession tape.

As far as I know this case has not been solved. Does anyone have any updates? Tracy wrote poems and one of her poems was inscribed onto her tombstone, which is very chilling to read.
UMfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
PajamaYoga
Occasional Poster

Send a message via AIM to PajamaYoga

Where was she buried?
PajamaYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
UMfan77

Buried? I don't exactly know, probably somewhere in Frederick Maryland. Do you live in that area and would like to visit her grave? I really do hope that her murder gets solved.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Default reply

I've talked about this case a couple times. Sadly, there STILL has been no update. I have it on tape, also.

Tracey is buried in Oak Grove Cemetary near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

This is one of those cases where the timing was terrible. Tracey was killed just before closing time, which according to the segment was around 9:00 p.m. The store looked like it was a strip mall with many other stores and businesses connected and accross the street. Yet, nobody saw the killer leave the store. Maybe there was a door in the back store room and he could have left without detection easier.

Here are some quotes for anyone interested -

This is the actual tape recorded message that Tracey's killer "Don" left for the crime hotline...............

"Hello. My name is Don and I'm calling from Frederick, Maryland. I know this is going to sound surprising at first, but, 5 months ago, I stabbed a girl to death. And I'll bet you think by making this call that I'm setting myself up to get caught... but there are alot of guys named Don in Frederick. The girl I killed was working in a ladies sportswear store. I often came by and visited her when she was working alone. And one night when we were in the store room, our conversation turned into an argument. So I took out a knife, that I keep with me at all times, and I killed her. And a few days later, I realized that I had created alot of sadness and I thought about turning myself in. But no matter what they do to me, that won't bring Tracey back. So I thought I...better...keep free because they have the death penalty in Maryland. I'm sorry for what I did, but nothing can change it. Bye."

And the following is the poem that was inscribed on Tracey's tombstone. It was a poem that was written by Christina Rossetti and Tracey read it to her family members just a couple months before she was killed............

"Remember me when I am gone away. Gone far away to the silent land. Where you can no more hold me by the hand. Yet if you should forget me for awhile and afterwards remember, do not grieve. For if the darkness and corruption leave
a vestige of thoughts that I once had, better by far you should forget and smile than you should remember and be sad."
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
UMfan77

That is such a beautiful poem, too bad it ended up on her tombstone. She seemed like such a talented young lady with a bright future ahead of her and some lunatic had to take that all away.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
mortytbusybody
Mystery Nut
Occasional Poster

I remember years ago my mother bought some cheesy paperback novel that used the "Remember" poem in an edited format (as used as a voice-over on UM) as a foreward and credited it to "Tracey Kirkpatrick". Even UM says that the poem enscribed on Tracey's tombstone is one of her own. Yet as dynoguy88 points out, Tracey's poem is actually one written in the 1800's by Christina Rossetti:
http://www.themediadrome.com/content...i_remember.htm
I'm crushed because I always assumed Tracey wrote this poem. I don't doubt that she was herself a talented poet, but does anyone have an explaination as to why there was this confusion?
mortytbusybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
Brent88
Forum Celebrity

This story aired on Monday(maybe Tuesday). It defintely aired this week.

No update.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Default reply

Quote:
Originally posted by mortytbusybody
I'm crushed because I always assumed Tracey wrote this poem. I don't doubt that she was herself a talented poet, but does anyone have an explaination as to why there was this confusion?
I don't see where the confusion comes from. The Unsolved Mysteries segment of this case (I have it on tape) said at the beginning that Tracey always loved READING poetry as well as writing it. Robert Stack also said that the poem was written by Christina Rossetti and that Tracey recited it for her family members a few months before she was murdered. Her family remembered her reading the poem and must of thought it would be perfect to go on her tombstone. The UM segment never said that she wrote it.

You must have got confused. The poem in the book your mom got for you was probably dedicated to Tracey. She never wrote it.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:32 AM   #9
mortytbusybody
Mystery Nut
Occasional Poster

Unhappy Does This Shock Anyone Else?

Sorry dynoguy, you must have the Lifetime version of the story or a repeat recorded because I just rewatched the case from the original NBC (January 30, 1991) broadcast and Robert Stack says:

"Tracey Kirkpatrick was an introspective pretty teenager from a small town near Fredrick, Maryland. The 3rd of 4 children, Tracey was an honor student who had a passion for writing poetry. In early 1989, Tracey surprised her family when she wrote a haunting poem asking them not to grieve for her when she was gone..."

I would guess that after Tracey's death her family must have remembered the poem that Tracey read them (she probably had it scribbled in a journal) and assumed that Tracey had written it herself. Maybe after it was published in the book someone exposed the truth. So I stand by my original statement: I'm crushed to discover that Tracey didn't write the poem. Judging from other messages on this board I realize some other people must have also seen the original broadcast and also thought the poem was Tracey's...
Old 10-15-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Default reply

Hmm. Interesting that you have the original broadcast taped. When I first saw it (back in the day) I thought she had written the poem as well but when I taped it on lifetime a couple years ago and found out that she didn't write it, I assumed I just heard it wrong the first time. The lifetime segment says -

"Tracey Kirkpatrick was an introspective pretty teenager from a small town near Fredrick, Maryland. The 3rd of 4 children, Tracey was an honor student who loved reading and writing poetry. In early 1989, Tracey read a haunting poem to her family written by Christina Rossetti. Tracey seemed to be asking them not to grieve for her when she was gone..."

The family must have assumed she wrote it. And once UM learned of the truth, they had to go back and change it. Whatever the case, thanks for pointing that out. It's still pretty freaky of the timing of her reading that poem just a few months before she was murdered.

This case is still pretty depressing knowing that the killer has not been caught. I've tried searching for links about the case and anything else about how Frederick City has been since then but have had very little luck. Just a couple short sentences -

http://www.cityoffrederick.com/depar.../Homicides.htm

http://news.onemissingperson.org/MD-...iles-open.html
Old 10-16-2004, 12:48 AM   #11
mortytbusybody
Mystery Nut
Occasional Poster

Hey, thanks for the info dynoguy. I've always been especially haunted by Tracey's death, and I agree, the timing of her reading the poem to her family was too freaky. I only wish they could find out more on this "Don" guy...it's just too weird that 3 different people (and the psychic) pointed to the same man as sounding like "Don".
Maybe "Cold Case" should reinvestigate this crime? With all the advancements in forensic science you would think they could find SOMETHING new. The added publicity might play on someone's conscious and cause them to finally turn themselves in.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
CrushedVelvet
Frequent Poster

Just wondering....I read what "Don" said and it just seems so fake, I guess. He dosent seem to be relating any significant details, and what he says sounds like someone stating a theory. I havent actually heard him talk so just curious as to how his voice sounded,,,sincere, scared, full of b.s.???
Old 10-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #13
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Default reply

Quote:
Originally posted by CrushedVelvet
Just wondering....I read what "Don" said and it just seems so fake, I guess. He dosent seem to be relating any significant details, and what he says sounds like someone stating a theory. I havent actually heard him talk so just curious as to how his voice sounded,,,sincere, scared, full of b.s.???
To me, I thought he sounded sincere. Maybe I'm naive, I don't know. But who else would have the nerve to call a criminal hotline and confess something like that? The call was traced to a small town outside Frederick, which is where Tracey was murdered. It looks as though the whole town was pretty much in mourning, so I think the chances of some idiot (calling from there) pretending to be the killer seems pretty extreme. But I could be wrong.

He didn't sound scared to me just that he was sorry for what he did. I got the impression that while he probably felt bad, in time, he will have gotten over it. He didn't sound as though he was full of as much guilt as he should have had.

Side note - I'm not sure whether or not UM played the entire tape of the confession during the segment. There was a time at the end where it sounded like it was edited with some long pauses (I....better....keep....free) I'm guessing they only played part of it so that the viewers could hear "Don's" voice and hopefully recognize it.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:21 AM   #14
Beavervalleygirl
Occasional Poster

Default She is buried in ......

Freedom, Penna
Beavervalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #15
marlins3
Frequent Poster

I work with a man who is a former (retired) Maryland State Policeman. he was based in Frederick, MD and arrived there very shortly after this incident took place. I asked him if this case has ever been solved. At first he didn;t seem familiar with the case but a ssoon as I began to describe it, he remembered immediately. He said that becasue of the location of the murder scene, the Frederick police should have immediately contacted the MD state police to help with the investigation. By no doing so, they blew a chance to solve this case quickly. He said that this should have been solved within 24 hours but members of the Frederick police have a reputation for acting like they are the be-all end-all for law enforcement and mishandle investigations quite frequently because of this (ego refuses to allow them to seek help when needed or admit when they are wrong and explore other avenues).
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote