Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #31
Tap Dancer
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark Of Spirit
I honestly want to know how they never arrested anyone for starting that fire. It's fairly obvious it was set, it's a small town with a small population, and yet they couldn't arrest someone for it? Surely there has to be a good idea of who it was that did it.
I would have taken a hard look at the guy who was out there cutting the wires.
Tap Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #32
Killarney Rose
Frequent Poster

I read all the Sodder threads over at WS when I first joined. Its taken me awhile to make my mind up but I've come to the conclusion that the children died in the fire. It was wishful thinking on the parents part that they were kidnapped.

Last month a five year old perished in a cabin fire in Gatlinburg. Searchers looked for about a week. Even with today's technology, no trace of the little boy was found. That just made me even more certain that the children died in the fire and their bodies were consumed by it.
Killarney Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #33
Necco

Life was cheap in coal country, even in the 1940s. I could tell you stories from my family that would make you cringe, and as far as I know, they're pretty typical.

That being said, Fayetteville is bituminous country. The glow point of bituminous coal (what they would likely be heating the house with) is 850 degrees F. If they were burning coal in the house, they likely had a supply of it in the house that fed the flames. It would have burned very hot.

I can't, however, get past the weird things that went on leading up to the fire. I don't think the kids were all in there. If they survived and were taken, they may have been told the rest of the family perished. Or they may have been killed elsewhere.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #34
Clytemnestra
Occasional Poster

I really do believe they perished in the fire. Are there are any circumstances in which their remains could have been totally consumed? Or could their remains simply have been missed? Five children is so many...I really couldn't imagine how they would miss them though.
Clytemnestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #35
Spark Of Spirit
Forum Regular

I was unaware that the detective they hired to look into the photo vanished and was never seen again. Add that and the planted skeleton and I'm pretty sure something off was going on. Whatever it was, the police messed this up bad.
A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.
― G.K. Chesterton
Spark Of Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #36
nikkispence1989
Podcast and calories
Occasional Poster

I listened to this podcast a few months ago about the Sodder Children and thought I would share as I found it very informative. I really enjoyed the part of how they explained how intense a fire would need to be to destroy a human body.

http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/po...dder-children/

Hope you enjoy
Old 08-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #37
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

There was a documentary being worked on about this story. I haven't heard an update in a while.
Arnold_OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #38
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up
Forum 3K Club Member

I recently came across the case of the Quintinshill rail disaster in Scotland in 1915. The first thing I thought of was the Sodder children because, like them, there was a claim that some of the bodies (mostly adult soldiers) couldn't be recovered because they were consumed by the fire caused by the chain reaction train crash.

Two of the cars were coal tenders, and others contained wood and other flammables, so there were many sources of fuel for the fires.

Just thought I'd mention it here, in case someone else was wondering if there have been any situations similar to what happened at the Sodder house, for comparison.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote