Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #61
DALLASTEXAN!!

For me this whole segment was an unfortunate train wreck. The family is on national tv trying to make sense of their father/ex husband’s disappearance. Probably wanting to hang onto hope that he is still alive, but that would mean that he was guilty of a terrible crime and chose to abandon them. Then the company out right smeared dale when they should have been held accountable to some degree. I struggle to watch this segment now without getting angry. To me it’s obvious he was a victim.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:08 PM   #62
bigted12
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASTEXAN!! View Post
For me this whole segment was an unfortunate train wreck. The family is on national tv trying to make sense of their father/ex husband’s disappearance. Probably wanting to hang onto hope that he is still alive, but that would mean that he was guilty of a terrible crime and chose to abandon them. Then the company out right smeared dale when they should have been held accountable to some degree. I struggle to watch this segment now without getting angry. To me it’s obvious he was a victim.

It's interesting how the company happened to go out of business not long after, they had even given Dale this job because they couldn't afford to pay him and several other workers. Dale was the perfect patsy, and now they didn't have to pay him this pension.

Is it out of this world to think Dale played a part? not really, but it makes little sense, UM say that the platinum was worth 250K, but what it's worth and what you could sell it for on the black market especially when it's so hot, are very different things, he would have then had to split this money between himself and at least one other person, the man in the video, maybe there were more people involved.

He would have walked away from this with much less than 100k, maybe only 50k, he was only 50 years old, thats young, he could have easily lived until he was in his 90s, 40 years more, on the run forever, not able to get work because he was wanted, no ID, no car, no family, no life all that for maybe 50-80K? no way!

Inside job
bigted12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #63
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Insurance Fraud sounds likely on the surface, but I think after screwing over so many of their employees, the powers that be at Corning were content to take their golden parachutes, pin the whole thing on Dale and then walk away and call it good (despite what statements by a sniveling weasel like Patrick Foley might suggest). Think about it - the only people with the brains to pull off a fraud job like this from the inside were probably the same mid-high level managers that got those golden parachutes. To them, ripping off the platinum and then trying to hock it on the way out the door like that would be not only superfluous, but an unneeded and inconvenient hassle

On the other hand, I view it being an inside job as equally probable as I do it being done by a professional crew. With either of these, you have one or more people with nothing to lose and Dale being the one loose thread that needs to be taken care of (by virtue of his being in the wrong place at the wrong time)
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #64
UMfan30
Occasional Poster

I was always shocked at how management portrayed Dale in the segment. He was described as “marginal”, “slow” and problematic.

I believe during the segment management played the CYA (cover your a: card. Its obvious that security was not takin serious by management or others in charge. 3 security cameras to monitor a 112,000 square foot facility?? That doesnt even include doorways, loading docks, parking lots etc. Also, why would management place a “marginal” employee who may be disgruntled in a security position where he has access to the entire facility on an overnight shift??

I dont believe Dale was involved other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I do believe he was disgruntled but he had every right to be. He worked for that company for 27 years and look how they treated and described him. Sad.
UMfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #65
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMfan30 View Post
I was always shocked at how management portrayed Dale in the segment. He was described as “marginal”, “slow” and problematic.

I believe during the segment management played the CYA (cover your a: card. Its obvious that security was not takin serious by management or others in charge. 3 security cameras to monitor a 112,000 square foot facility?? That doesnt even include doorways, loading docks, parking lots etc. Also, why would management place a “marginal” employee who may be disgruntled in a security position where he has access to the entire facility on an overnight shift??

I dont believe Dale was involved other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I do believe he was disgruntled but he had every right to be. He worked for that company for 27 years and look how they treated and described him. Sad.

With doors into the place that anyone, including Dale's daughter, could walk in to whenever they felt like visiting at all hours of the night.

3 days to even check the tapes to see what they caught.

I will argue it till I'm blue in the face. This was a hatchet job to try to negate the company's negligence so their insurance provider would still pay out for the theft.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #66
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcguy80 View Post
Yea that guy was just plain creepy. He said he thought his father went to Canada or Australia and would come back in seven years when the statute of limitations was up. Why would he even say such a thing? He was also smiling while being interviewed. If I was on national television, talking about my missing father, I certainly would not be smiling. I don't believe he could have been the masked man though. Whoever it was knew the plant very well. It had to have been someone who was employed there at some point.
My guess...still a bit angry because was still a kid when his dad disappeared. Perhaps it's easier to think he took off for 7 years with a plan to return than to think he was murdered?
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #67
Stratego
Occasional Poster

I'm leaning towards Dale being involved, although I'm not sure if he chose to disappear or was double-crossed by his partner and killed. I think the latter is probably more likely.

Last edited by Stratego; 05-07-2021 at 01:43 AM.
Stratego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:06 PM   #68
mikewho
Frequent Poster

Nowadays I’m kind of on the fence about whether he was involved or a victim. To me being a part of that for only worth 250k which would most likely be split with at least one other person doesn’t seem worth it at all to me, so if I absolutely had to choose one way or another, I’d probably say dale was a victim and not involved at all.
mikewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:21 AM   #69
rusty spike
Frequent Poster

Dale was alone in the plant and went about his job with minimal supervision. If he was involved, he could have nipped "here and there" above suspicion. He didn't need a partner to steal because the area of the plant had been shuttered in preparation of closure.

So where did the stolen platinum go?

I don't think there are any reports of it surfacing in all the years.

Just another wild speculation, but what if the real intention was to eliminate Dale and the theft was to cover it up?
rusty spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:36 AM   #70
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty spike View Post
Dale was alone in the plant and went about his job with minimal supervision. If he was involved, he could have nipped "here and there" above suspicion. He didn't need a partner to steal because the area of the plant had been shuttered in preparation of closure.

Just another wild speculation, but what if the real intention was to eliminate Dale and the theft was to cover it up?
Never thought of this, but the way Dale's employers talked about him it does make you wonder. They didn't seem very happy with him at the time, and apparently by all accounts the feeling was mutual so that does lend this theory some credence.

I do think the perp was someone who was connected with the plant, the average random thief off the street does not go into a plant for platinum and they likely wouldn't know where to look for it or what to do with it even if they did find it.

Obviously there is no way to know four sure, I'd still lean towards the theft being the likely motive but your idea is definitely not outlandish.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:40 AM   #71
freakbook

Quote:
He didn't need a partner to steal because the area of the plant had been shuttered in preparation of closure.
The point you made up above would prove why he WOULD need a partner.

We know that the plant had numerous cameras that both Dale and the masked intruder were caught on. Now what if Dale decided to just steal the platinum himself?

You answered correctly, the cameras would just show Dale around the furnace and there would be no doubt that Dale was behind it.

This is why Dale doing this himself wouldn't be wise.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #72
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook View Post
The point you made up above would prove why he WOULD need a partner.

We know that the plant had numerous cameras that both Dale and the masked intruder were caught on. Now what if Dale decided to just steal the platinum himself?

You answered correctly, the cameras would just show Dale around the furnace and there would be no doubt that Dale was behind it.

This is why Dale doing this himself wouldn't be wise.
My understanding was there were no cameras showing the platinum containing areas (which is bizarre to me), as they didn't seem to have any footage of anyone actually taking the platinum (beyond rolling something on a pallet jack).

Though I readily admit I could be wrong about that.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #73
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:

This, right here. This is the biggest WTF of the whole thing for me. It makes no sense to steal something if you still haven't sold it thirty years later.

Unless this is The Rip Van Winkle Caper, from the Twilight Zone

Maybe that's what happened....
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #74
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83 View Post
My understanding was there were no cameras showing the platinum containing areas (which is bizarre to me), as they didn't seem to have any footage of anyone actually taking the platinum (beyond rolling something on a pallet jack).

Though I readily admit I could be wrong about that.
No, there was footage of the masked man around the furnace where the platinum was contained.

One of the managers in the segment said that he saw the masked intruder "go up to the tank area." he then says "whoever removed the platinum from the tank, was extremely familiar with the plant. everything in the plant they knew exactly where to go"

so the masked man was definitely caught on camera around the platinum. this is why it wouldn't have made sense for Dale to do this alone.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:48 AM   #75
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83 View Post
This, right here. This is the biggest WTF of the whole thing for me. It makes no sense to steal something if you still haven't sold it thirty years later.

Unless this is The Rip Van Winkle Caper, from the Twilight Zone

Maybe that's what happened....
How traceable is platinum? It could have been sold on the black market or even out of the country. Or the thief or thieves could have even used it for something.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote