Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #91
A_Ghost_named_Samuel
Occasional Poster

The murder of Debra O'Quinn in Jacksonville, Florida it's been a cold case since 1979.

Quote:
On May 7, 1979, she and her dad went out together to look at cars to buy. When he dropped her off around 9 pm at her apartment, he waited untill she got inside, turned on the lights, and let him know everything was okay before leaving.

When Karen Benton, Debra’s roommate, arrived at the apartment next morning, Debra wasn’t home. But Karen’s brother, Thomas Chapman, was asleep on the couch. When she asked him about Debra, Thomas said he hadn’t seen her; he’d showed up at around 3 am and, according to him, the apartment was empty.

The thing is, there was clear evidence something bad had happened. There was blood not only in Debra’s room, but also in the bathroom and some smears on the walls and the carpet, which also had drag marks. Thomas said he thought there had been some sort of accident, but apparently it wasn’t enough to get him to call someone. One of the detectives later said Thomas had explained he thought it was “menstrual blood” and had attempted to clean it up before going to sleep. The cop is quoted in an old newspaper saying “he’s just awfully naive.”

Let’s stop here for one second. I can maybe believe that in 1979 a young man would be that clueless about menstruation, but if that were the case, would he be willing to clean it up?

One of Debra’s neighbors told police that on that night she’d noticed a lot of movement over at her apartment. The lights were on and a male figure was walking all over. The neighbor later saw the man carrying something out of the apartment, and it could have been Debra.

Debra remained missing for 218 days, until her body was found on December 10 among some bushes. The medical examiner determined she had died from stab wounds, but there wasn’t much more they could get from her skeletal remains. Police found a serrated knife in Thomas’ vehicle, which was tested and contained bone fragments, but it was impossible, at the time at least, to determine if they were even human.

At one point, serial killer Henry Lee Lucas claimed responsibility for killing Debra. But as it was often the case with him, he knew almost no details about the murder and was just lying.

The case remains unsolved but has been recently reopened and new technology will be applied to test the evidence they have.
Occasionally my Mother will refer to the apartment complex as "Debra's place" being as she was in school with her at the time.
A_Ghost_named_Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #92
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
The Oakland County Child Killer. He killed 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls, between 1976 and 1977. They were all separately abducted off the streets in broad daylight and held for days. All of them were bathed and their clothes had been washed clean before they were taken out and killed, then left in snowbanks. This happened in southeast Michigan, about 15-20 miles from where I live and grew up.

There was an interesting fact regarding the final victim, Timothy King. After he disappeared, his parents were interviewed on the local news. His mother pleaded with the kidnapper for Tim to be reunited with the family so she could feed him his favorite dinner; Kentucky Fried Chicken. When Tim's body was found and exhumed, the contents of his stomach showed that he had been fed Kentucky Fried Chicken shortly before being killed.

I could see a case like this being featured on UM. I wasn't born yet when this all went down. My parents were newlyweds and they remember the news broadcasts. But I don't think this case got much local publicity through the years. I, personally, didn't hear of the case until I was in high school.

Unfortunately, after 40 years, the families still have no closure. There are possible suspects but nothing definite.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...40-years-later
That would have been an amazing segment and it may have worked, too, although the main suspect is now dead.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #93
Nats2019Champs
Occasional Poster

I know it's since been solved, but I'm surprised UM never profiled the murders of Kristin & Kati Lisk and Sofia Silva. That was a huge topic of discussion when I was younger, that's really when I got my first serious "stranger danger" talk, it happened about an hour from me.
Nats2019Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #94
Jack_Swift
Occasional Poster

D'wan Sims His mom was very shady! She definitely knows more than she is saying publicly, plus she failed every lie detector test. I live in Metro Detroit
Jack_Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:16 AM   #95
undertakeress
Frequent Poster

I think of him every time I drive by the old Wonderland mall area. Although I don’t think he was ever at the mall. I wonder if the DNA results have come back on the guy who claims to be Dwan
undertakeress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #96
Jack_Swift
Occasional Poster

I just did a search and all i found was articles talking about the DNA test but no results yet. I go to the old mall now named Wonderland village daily
Jack_Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #97
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty View Post
I grew up near where Johnny Gosch and Eugene Martin, two paperboys in Des Moines, IA, were abducted. Another boy, Marc Allen, went missing after Eugene. He wasn't a paperboy and he was abducted at dusk rather than first thing in the morning. I was always surprised that they were never profiled. Especially because Johnny's mother Noreen was very vocal about his kidnapping. I think if there had been any kind of suspect in either case they might have been more likely to be profiled on UM. There was literally nothing to go on.
I came waaaaaaay late to discovering the Johnny Gosch story but I watched the 2014 documentary 'Who took Johnny?' on Amazon Prime earlier this year and I have been completely fascinated and troubled with the case ever since. There are so many twists and turns throughout the years that you're bound to get whiplash.

But the thing that still astounds me the most is Johnny's mother Noreen's revelation that Johnny came to her house in the middle of the night in 1997, 15 years after he had been abducted, now 27 years old, accompanied by another man that he didn't introduce. The fact that he stayed for about an hour and said "they'll kill me if they know I've been here," referring to powerful people connected to the sex trafficking ring, how they trafficked the kids throughout the country and how the kids were forced to do a lot of things that were illegal so therefore none of them would go to the police for help....the fact that Noreen kept this reunion secret for a couple years because she felt nobody would believe her and finally revealed it only because she was asked under oath if she had seen her son since his abduction...my head just spins over the concept of this whole thing.

This feels like a story that SHOULD have been on Unsolved Mysteries. But I feel the subject matter involves theories that might have been....maybe a little too uncomfortable or controversial for the time? Yes, UM featured cases involving abductions, murders, robberies, rape, etc. But the concept of pedophile rings and child sex trafficking was so foreign to people in the 80's and into the 90s that maybe UM decided not to touch it? I don't know. Just a guess.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #98
infinityluxe
Frequent Poster

When this case broke in my hometown it made me think of Unsolved Mysteries instantly. An elderly retired black man went missing in 1984. He simply went to the store and never returned. In 2017 his vehicle was found in a pond under a bridge. He was inside the car dead in the driver's seat. He had been there 33 years. Very erie.

Quote:
BUENA VISTA TOWNSHIP (WJRT) - (08/22/17) - There are still more questions than answers after a man's remains were found inside a car submerged in a Buena Vista Township pond.

A contractor for the Michigan Department of Transportation discovered a 1973 Buick Electra while diving in the pond on Aug. 15. The contractor was cleaning up barrels found in the pond.

Police had the car removed from the pond, then discovered the remains.

D/Sgt. Greg Klecker, with the Buena Vista Township Police Department, said they believe the remains are Julius Colwye. The 61 year old was reported missing in October of 1984.

A key piece of evidence included in the original 1984 missing person file helped identify him.

"What you do at the front end of a case investigation can really be valuable, just like today," Klecker said. "We look at, and we rely on, the original work that a detective did, and we're grateful for the work that detective did."

Nearly 33 years ago, a detective added Colwye's dental records to his file, just in case.

While investigators can't say the remains are positively those of Colwye's, the dental records, which do not include x-rays, are consistent with those of the remains. The Buick Electra also was Colwye's.

Now the focus shifts from identification to cause of death.

Since the beginning, Colwye's disappearance has been considered suspicious.

"They suspected foul play because why would he voluntarily just go missing," Klecker said.

Disappearing was out of character for Colwye, who many people called Pete, instead of his given name of Julius.

Back in the day, detectives searched several places for Colwye.

"They did drag the river," Klecker said.

Klecker is now trying to track down aerial photos of the land from the '80s.

"Vehicle was found in that pond in, you know, a certain position. We're just trying to figure out from a logistics standpoint, how did it end up in that position," he said.

Klecker also wants to talk to people who knew Colwye before he disappeared, so he can finish what the other detectives started.

"They did everything they could, they exhausted their efforts and at a certain point the case goes cold, and then you still don't have any discoveries, then it's a mystery," Klecker said.
infinityluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:01 AM   #99
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

A particularly brutal killing exactly 40 years ago in April 1981 in a cabin at the Sierra Nevada community of Keddie.

A Mother, her Daughter and Son and his male friend were brutally killed in a Cabin in the middle of nowhere. 3 of the bodies were discovered in the Cabin the following morning by another Daughter who had been staying elsewhere the night before. The remains of the 4th victim (The Daughter) were discovered 3 years later in another location.

The Mother's younger 2 sons and another boy were asleep in a nearby bedroom during the killings.

Later on one of these boys claimed to have seen two men in the cabin arguing with the victims and under hypnosis helped created these rather amateurish composites.

Whilst there's been suspects, no one has ever been formally charged and it's terrible 2 monsters could carry out such a sick act and be walking around scot-free for 4 decades!

Last edited by Corkys-Place; 04-25-2021 at 02:42 AM.
Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #100
comicbookwriter
Occasional Poster

The "Lady in the Lake" murder from Baltimore.

https://baltimorefishbowl.com/storie...hirley-parker/

Quote:
On June 2, 1969, an electrical crew was dispatched by the Baltimore County Bureau of Highways to repair two burned-out lights in the fountain at the center of Druid Park Lake. The first man to climb the ladder and look down over the rim made a gruesome discovery: The body of a woman was lying face down in about two feet of water in a depression inside the top of the fountain. The body was quickly identified as that of Shirley Lee Wigeon Parker, a 35-year-old African-American divorcee, who’d disappeared five weeks earlier “under mysterious circumstances,” according to The Baltimore Evening Sun.

Shirley Parker was a bookkeeper, barmaid, and waitress at Baltimore’s famous Sphinx Club. Beautiful, vivacious and popular, she was a secretary in a branch of the Urban League and volunteered for the NAACP. She’d been married twice, first to a man who lived in Pennsylvania, and then to a disk jockey named Joe Parker, who owned a record store on Edmondson Avenue. She was the mother of two sons, one who lived with his father in Pennsylvania and a second, David, who lived with Shirley and her mother.

The story of Shirley Parker’s last evening contains some contradictions. Most agree she was last seen on the evening of April 23, 1969, fashionably dressed in brown hip-hugger slacks, a yellow, orange and white print blouse, a rust-colored coat and pile-lined, knee-length boots. At the time, she’d been dating (and supporting) a 33-year-old man named Arno West. The night she disappeared, Mrs. Parker had gone to meet friends at a bar on Pennsylvania Avenue where, during the evening, she’d learned that Arno West had used her paycheck to buy a pants suit for another girlfriend, a woman who worked for the Social Security Administration.

According to witnesses, Shirley stormed out of the bar around midnight and went directly to Gwynns Falls Parkway, where West lived with his mother. Neighbors say they heard the couple arguing loudly on the porch. West later told police that Shirley was “very upset,” but denied the claim that he gave her “a nasty blow.” After their fight, however, the couple seems to have calmed down. West took Shirley out to another bar, then to visit friends. According to the Afro-American newspaper, “Mrs. Parker seemed angered about some matter and that he took her for a drive to cool off.”
After the drive, West said Shirley asked him to drop her off her in Druid Hill Park, near the lake. “After she got out of the car on Cloverdale Road, near the park, and started walking, he told police he became worried and followed her,” reported the newspaper, adding that before he drove off, West noticed Shirley climbing over the 15-foot-high iron railing around the lake. He returned to the scene, then “he handed her purse to her after she was persuaded not to enter the lake.” He then drove her home, according to West, though Shirley’s mother, Theresa Wright, said Shirley never came home that night. Later that week, according to West, he noticed Shirley’s purse hanging from the inside of the railing surrounding the lake in Druid Hill Park and reported it to the police.

Those who knew her say Shirley Parker just wasn’t the kind of person to leave home with no explanation, and her family was immediately alarmed. A nationwide search led to sightings as far away as California. One woman claimed she’d seen Shirley in Baltimore the morning after she was reported missing. A Baltimore medium said she was getting vibrations in the case and promised she’d soon have an answer. She predicted that Shirley’s death “will soon reveal one of the most horrible crimes in history.” Three weeks later, baffled by the lack of clues, the police dragged the lake in Druid Hill Park, but no body was found.

That’s because Shirley’s body wasn’t in the lake, but in the fountain, where it was discovered on June 2. But what was she doing in the fountain, and how did she get there? Her body too decomposed for the coroner to determine the means of death, only to rule out several causes. She wasn’t strangled or stabbed, and she hadn’t used narcotics. “There were no needle marks, and we were particularly interested in whether she died this way,” said Dr. Edward Wilson, an assistant medical examiner, in an interview with the Afro-American. Dr. Ronald Kornblum, also an assistant medical examiner, reported to the Afro-American that the body showed no gunshot wounds, but it was “possible other indications of foul play had been washed or decayed away.” The recorded verdict was death by hypothermia, though Kornblum admits, “it is possible she was drowned before she was placed in the fountain,” though not possible that she drowned herself.
comicbookwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:55 PM   #101
Theslickness
Occasional Poster

Maura Murray would have been a great case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disapp...f_Maura_Murray
Theslickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #102
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

James "Jimmy" Cole went missing back in 1994 and I cannot stress enough at how insane it is that he has never been found. There is a bike trail that is at the center of his disappearance that I constantly run on, and from where he was last seen to where he lived was less than a 5 minute walk. He was last seen drinking at a restaurant/bar at 1:30 a.m. in the morning, and when the employees started to close down, he left, presumably to head home. He's never been found. Looking at this map and you can see all of the pertinent locations from that night. He left one restaurant and headed to another closer to his home, before leaving. He was known to sometimes sleep out in the woods. The problem is, if he somehow died from exposure, alcohol poisoning, etc., why hasn't his body ever been found? As you can see, there aren't any real wooded areas around where he could go unnoticed (and the area has remain largely unchanged since 1994). His family searched the routes he would have taken home, and nothing. The guy simply vanished into thin air.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #103
marlins3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
I came waaaaaaay late to discovering the Johnny Gosch story but I watched the 2014 documentary 'Who took Johnny?' on Amazon Prime earlier this year and I have been completely fascinated and troubled with the case ever since. There are so many twists and turns throughout the years that you're bound to get whiplash.

But the thing that still astounds me the most is Johnny's mother Noreen's revelation that Johnny came to her house in the middle of the night in 1997, 15 years after he had been abducted, now 27 years old, accompanied by another man that he didn't introduce. The fact that he stayed for about an hour and said "they'll kill me if they know I've been here," referring to powerful people connected to the sex trafficking ring, how they trafficked the kids throughout the country and how the kids were forced to do a lot of things that were illegal so therefore none of them would go to the police for help....the fact that Noreen kept this reunion secret for a couple years because she felt nobody would believe her and finally revealed it only because she was asked under oath if she had seen her son since his abduction...my head just spins over the concept of this whole thing.

This feels like a story that SHOULD have been on Unsolved Mysteries. But I feel the subject matter involves theories that might have been....maybe a little too uncomfortable or controversial for the time? Yes, UM featured cases involving abductions, murders, robberies, rape, etc. But the concept of pedophile rings and child sex trafficking was so foreign to people in the 80's and into the 90s that maybe UM decided not to touch it? I don't know. Just a guess.

The Vanished episode on Johnny Gosch (hosted by Beth Holloway) is what got me interested in this case. It is quite good as well. Immediately after seeing it, I tried to watch as much stuff as I could about the case. Noreen's recollection of a clandestine meeting with an adult Johnny is just bizarre to say the least. I feel so sorry for her, but I think she may be delusional. Johnny's father does not believe the meeting happened. That said, I do not discount Paul Bonacci's claims. I don't believe the photographs were of Johnny, but I don't dismiss Bonacci as an attention-seeking kook either. The one claim that kind of bugs me is that Johnny was the first person to appear on a milk carton. Etan Patz was on a milk carton a couple years before Johnny. The milk carton claim is made on Vanished . I don't recall if it is made on Who Took Johnny
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:21 AM   #104
marlins3
Frequent Poster

How Cherrie Mahan never made it to UM perplexes me to this day. This happened about an hour from me.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #105
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

The major case that stands out to me is the Ashley Pond/Miranda Gaddis murders. It may have been profiled on UM, but I can't quite remember. Fortunately the case has since been solved, but it was a particularly hard time for us here in Oregon City.
BlueGalexy is offline   Reply With Quote