Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock


New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #61
SertumAEnigmA
Member
Occasional Poster
 
SertumAEnigmA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2017
Posts: 42
Default

Actually had a chance to dig into this a bit deeper.

Really no mystery here. The Berrys and Tondevold were longtime business associates going back to the 60s.

Found a newspaper clipping from The Tennessean dated October 18, 1968 discussing the Ladies Hermitage Association Fall Outing and the largest picture features both the Berrys and Tondevold.

https://imgur.com/a/vcXJy
SertumAEnigmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #62
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 01, 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SertumAEnigmA
Actually had a chance to dig into this a bit deeper.

Really no mystery here. The Berrys and Tondevold were longtime business associates going back to the 60s.

Found a newspaper clipping from The Tennessean dated October 18, 1968 discussing the Ladies Hermitage Association Fall Outing and the largest picture features both the Berrys and Tondevold.

https://imgur.com/a/vcXJy
Good find!

Were you that Unsolved Mysteries researcher that Robert Stack was talking about?
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #63
Latka Gravas
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 27, 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 361
Default

Recently saw this DT segment. What a piece of garbage. Anyone who victimizes the elderly like this needs to be brutally punished. It's unfortunate he was never caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVERMAN View Post
Meanwhile, the guy is spotted 100 miles south of their holiday destination. He is soon found dead in a field near a dog that had been shot in the head. He had also been shot in the head with the gun lying nearby. Just before the holiday, the guy placed an ad in a paper looking for a chauffeur, even though there was no need for one. The ad said that only males were needed and that applicants needed to send a photo. It is believed that the guy was looking for a body double to kill and make it look like he had committed suicide, while running away with the old lady's money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRaaa View Post
...but I actually do NOT think Tondevold committed suicide...I know the "hiring a double" theory is insane, but I just don't think con artists are usually the type to kill themselves. They generally don't seem to feel one iota of remorse, and it seems like most other criminals only kill themselves when they are literally trapped by police, as in during a standoff situation or something of the sort where they physically have no other option than to "win" by killing themselves.

I think Tondevold would only have offed himself if and only if he was truly 110% "caught" by police and had zero other possible options.

Con artists in particular are always scheming and planning and looking for that next opportunity to lie, cheat and steal -- I just don't think Tondevold chose to end it then and there.
Agreed. I don't believe that the body they found was DT's.
Latka Gravas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #64
Gelatinous Goo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2010
Posts: 288
Default

I just happened upon this extremely impressive deep dive on Tondevold's background. The writer discovered how the Berrys likely met him along with an absolute ton of previously undiscovered background. This may be the best thing I've ever read regarding anyone featured on UM.

https://americancrimejournal.com/the...devold-part-2/
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #65
JM
Member
Frequent Poster
 
JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 01, 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 218
Default

Even though there is little mystery about Dan Tondevold's background; do we all pretty much think he staged his death and that his body wasn't the one found at Fripp Island?
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:52 AM   #66
Gelatinous Goo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2010
Posts: 288
Default

UM certainly painted it that way.

One could theorize that he went back to Asia. If he's even still alive, he'd be in his mid to late 80's.
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #67
Huskerz85
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2006
Location: Westeros
Posts: 632
Default

The background given for him in that article certainly reorients things - or makes them clearer depending on your PoV.

If he killed himself on Fripp Island, then he was almost certainly suffering some kind of breakdown/mental affliction (and possibly had been for some time).

If he didn't kill himself, but instead framed someone else and absconded to parts unknown - the big question is "Why?" (was it because he, after living the high life for so long, didn't know how to function otherwise once he lost his job and so he bilked Mrs. Berry out of her fortune to continue living the only way he knew how?)
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #68
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular
 
SageSlowdive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 10, 2010
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Goo View Post
I just happened upon this extremely impressive deep dive on Tondevold's background. The writer discovered how the Berrys likely met him along with an absolute ton of previously undiscovered background. This may be the best thing I've ever read regarding anyone featured on UM.

https://americancrimejournal.com/the...devold-part-2/
I like the article, but I come out of it thinking the author was trying too hard to prove Dan didn't steal any of her money. Who else had funds to her accounts? I would assume he wanted a different life and stealing the money from her (over many years) was his ticket out. When he got caught, he made the swift decision to end his life.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #69
Gelatinous Goo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2010
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive View Post
I like the article, but I come out of it thinking the author was trying too hard to prove Dan didn't steal any of her money. Who else had funds to her accounts? I would assume he wanted a different life and stealing the money from her (over many years) was his ticket out. When he got caught, he made the swift decision to end his life.
I completely agree and should have mentioned the author's bias. I also got the impression that the writer is gay himself, as he comes off as being much too sympathetic towards Tondevold as a result of the gay factor. Somebody commented, "Gay people can steal, too.". I got a chuckle out of that.

In spite of these points, the research the writer did was absolutely wonderful and in-depth. It was really incredible for me to get a much larger sense of Tondevold's life, as UM would almost have us believe he barely existed before showing up in Knoxville. It was a strange way to present him to a viewership who had no prior knowledge of the man.

I still feel that the body found was not his. All that we learned about Tondevold from this article strongly suggests he fled to an Asian country with a healthy expat community where he could speak the native tongue and live in obscurity.
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:26 AM   #70
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular
 
SageSlowdive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 10, 2010
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Goo View Post
I completely agree and should have mentioned the author's bias. I also got the impression that the writer is gay himself, as he comes off as being much too sympathetic towards Tondevold as a result of the gay factor. Somebody commented, "Gay people can steal, too.". I got a chuckle out of that.

In spite of these points, the research the writer did was absolutely wonderful and in-depth. It was really incredible for me to get a much larger sense of Tondevold's life, as UM would almost have us believe he barely existed before showing up in Knoxville. It was a strange way to present him to a viewership who had no prior knowledge of the man.

I still feel that the body found was not his. All that we learned about Tondevold from this article strongly suggests he fled to an Asian country with a healthy expat community where he could speak the native tongue and live in obscurity.
Stack says at the end of the segment she was living on a fixed income (maybe he said retirement home?) and many people close to her including the maid brought up his spending habits with her money. I, again, feel like the author of that was trying to uphold Dan against allegations of fraud and murder - he most certainly committed the former.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #71
ghosthouse
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2019
Location: Amish Country
Posts: 123
Default

Don't know where else to put this -- but Arthur "Pete" Ballard, interviewed for this segment, is one of my favorite 'characters' they ever showed on UM.
ghosthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #72
Gelatinous Goo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2010
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthouse View Post
Don't know where else to put this -- but Arthur "Pete" Ballard, interviewed for this segment, is one of my favorite 'characters' they ever showed on UM.
Check out the comments section at the end of the article I posted in my link above. One of Ballard's students posted a long and awesome tribute to him!
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #73
ghosthouse
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2019
Location: Amish Country
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Goo View Post
Check out the comments section at the end of the article I posted in my link above. One of Ballard's students posted a long and awesome tribute to him!
Wow that was great. Definitely seemed like a guy I would hang out with just to hear some stories. Thanks!
ghosthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.