Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again
HBO Gets 2nd Season of McBride and Goodman Comedy; HGTV and Bradys Go Digital
Katey Sagal Joins The Conners; CBS All Access Comedy No Activity Gets Guests for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #196
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohwheregirl
Ugh...I've been checking this Quester person's page every few days. I want to hear about his suspect! This is the latest update:

And that's it. Okay! Unmask already, dude!!!
You can add him as a friend on Facebook. He updates that more regularly than he does the Quester page and has uploaded a photo of the man he believes to be EAR. However, he hasn't given any details or a name yet.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #197
Victoria81
Forum Regular

and the picture he posted of the suspect is gone :/ booo lol
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #198
jjmcgr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive
No you're right. They found dog footprints that they concluded came from a dog with only 3 legs. It was at one of the murder sites I think...
The dog was supposed to be present at the two Goleta murder scenes. White German Shepherd with some deformity to a paw.
jjmcgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #199
jjmcgr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria81
Wow, the only sketch I have ever seen was with the damn ski mask. Where have I been??!
I believe these are the sketches from the Maggiore murders, which may have been a separate incident.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #200
jjmcgr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps3278e6b2.jpg

Above is a copy of a newspaper article (I hope I did it right so all can see it!) from November 1977. It is the town hall meeting held at Mira Loma high school.

Detective Shelby said the man who spoke at the town hall meeting (she said the man was Italian) spoke out at a meeting in November of 1976, a completely different meeting. I forget the location of that meeting, but it doesn't matter, because the attack on the out-spoken man and his wife was in May of 1977, a full six months prior to the meeting held at Mira Loma HS, where the picture was confirmed to have been taken. Does this rule out that EAR was not in the picture? Nope! The brazen bastard may have been at this meeting as well...or none at all...or every single one of them. Doesn't look like we're going to know all the moving parts and pieces until the case is solved (if it ever is...fingers crossed that it will be!).

There seems to be a lot of "lore" with this case as well. For example, is there any confirmation of the supposed dog with three legs?
Or even thinking about what I just wrote above, the press made it sound like after the guy spoke out at the meeting like he and his wife were the next targets. Meanwhile, it was seven months later.
Another example is the supposed "challenge" that the press gave EAR by printing an article that says he only targets women living alone. In fact, the press made a mistake! They printed this article on April 15, 1977, but EAR's first attack on a couple was April 1, 1977. Because of this error, speculation began that EAR was "challenged" by this article, and that's why be began targeting couples....meanwhile, he'd already started that two weeks before any assumed "challenge" was ever presented. There's a lot of weird stuff with this case.
some of the lore comes from police statements. I remember one of the cops said in an interview that the next attack happened after the meeting but no attacks fit that chronology. The biggest lore I think is the belief that the attacker broke into houses ahead of time and movewd things around (in one case there was even a claim that he emptied a gun under a pillow and put it back then returned to the same house--which would seem very reckless)... once the manhunt started it seems very unlikely that the person would evade capture if he really was breaking in in known areas like La Riviera Drive. I think he selected one story houses so he could peek in the windows and know who was home rather than pre-stalk targets.

I first got interested in this case because someone I knew claimed the attacker broke into her home and stole her daughter's picture but never came back. It was on La Riviera. Since then I've heard many Sac people make similar claims. If they were all true then the cops were pretty incompetent which I do not think was the case.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #201
jjmcgr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolved1981
Yeah, I hate to be mean about it, but this lame 'Golden State Killer' name smacks of an attempt by the author to 'own' the case. When they released some TON related audio under the GSK name all it did was confuse me. The main Original Night Stalker message board even added GSK to the url of their site, but in my opinion we shouldn't be dignifying the 'Golden State Killer' name in any way.
I have always thought the name Original Night Stalker, taken from an off the cuff comment from an OC cop, is a terrible (lame in my opinion) designation as it confuses people with the actual Night Stalker (who is much more famous) and with a wacky 1970s tv show (after which the NS was named). I prefer something like Bedroom Killer which I used on a website with all the articles from the Sac library and a master timeline. But all the names are somewhat confusing in addition to the ONS name being confusing on its own.

Also I have heard many times that someone was 99% sure they know who did it and the case will be broken within a (week, month, year) and nothing ever happens. Basically they don't have much to go on for a good suspect. DNA is only helpful if you have something to match it with (ie DNA with a name attached). And you'd have to find someone able to have committed the crimes by being able to be at the various locations during the time frames. You'd think that the locations are unique enough to narrow trhat down but apparently it has not been. So as long as the killer does not do something to get his name attached to DNA (like commit more crimes) he is going to be hard to catch. And he is probably not the creepy neighbor or he would have been caught long ago!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #202
jjmcgr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I always thought the attack on Janelle Cruz in 1986 was a weird outlier. All of his other known attacks were in the 70's and early 80's. His next to last attack was on Mr. and Mrs. Sanchez, and it was theorized that Mr. Sanchez managed to do some damage on him before he and his wife perished.
First of all it was not a Mr. and Mrs. Sanchez. It was a divorced lady (Domingo) and her ex-boyfriend (Sanchez) who was leaving the area the next day. The killer could not have known they were together that night in advance as it was an impromptu thing. Since it was near a previous attack he must have been surveilling the area in general and honed in on them.

Secondly, to me the two Irvine attacks (only several blocks apart but several years apart) Wittuhn and Cruz seem "outliers" or oddities compared to the rest of the series because they were single not couples attacks after many consecutive couples crimes. My theory is that the killer at the time lived in Irvine (the couple killed in Dana Point worked in Irvine FYI) and killed women alone there because he was trying to make his crimes resemble those of a then unsolved case in the area, "the Bedroom Basher."
The basher was on UM, I believe, and Cold Case Files. Those crimes are famous because a guy was falsely convicted of one of the basher crimes and spent years in jail until the real guy (who was in jail for other crimes) confessed. The guy's then wife was the main accusor (of course she had gotten bashed on the head). At the time of the Irvine crimes, the basher was in jail but no one knew it. The Irvine crimes were never linked to the basher but they were also never linked to each other until DNA came in. In the Wittuhn case the killer tried to make it look like a burglary.
Why the big time gap between two crimes committed nearby with the killer still in the area (apparently)? My theory is that the killer was frightened because in the previous crime (only recently linked by DNA) Sanchez had almost escaped and had to be shot to be subdued. Although no one responded to the late night noise in a residential neighborhood, the killer fled quickly, expecting a response. I think that stopped him for five years and the Cruz murder was him falling off the murder wagon one last time for some reason (there are many theries) before he finally stopped for good.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:42 AM   #203
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcgr
"the Bedroom Basher."
The basher was on UM, I believe, and Cold Case Files.
The Bedroom Basher was never profiled on UM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #204
Victoria81
Forum Regular

Well, it looks like he found someone to help him.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #205
Victoria81
Forum Regular

That last update!!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:03 AM   #206
wiseguy182

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but there's another new book about this case, called "Hunting A Psychopath" by Richard Shelby (presumably not the long-time Alabama senator). As of this moment, there are just 5 copies left on Amazon. It's a big'en at 476 pages.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 AM   #207
XCalibur
Forum Regular

The more I think about this case, the more I believe EAR is probably dead. Can't help but think that if he was still out there, his DNA would have surfaced in connection of a crime sometime in the past 30 years, but not a single murder or attack was linked to him after 1986, despite advances in DNA technology and all those linked to him prior to that. And I just can't see a guy like that stopping.

Of course, there were the threatening phone calls to victims in the early 90's, but even those ceased, I think 1991 was the last one. And its almost impossible to know for certain if that was actually the EAR.

Nothing is certain, if there is even a one in a million chance this SOB is still out there he needs to be brought to justice, and even if he is dead he still needs to be identified. But I sort of lean towards him being dead.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #208
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcgr
some of the lore comes from police statements. I remember one of the cops said in an interview that the next attack happened after the meeting but no attacks fit that chronology. The biggest lore I think is the belief that the attacker broke into houses ahead of time and movewd things around (in one case there was even a claim that he emptied a gun under a pillow and put it back then returned to the same house--which would seem very reckless)... once the manhunt started it seems very unlikely that the person would evade capture if he really was breaking in in known areas like La Riviera Drive. I think he selected one story houses so he could peek in the windows and know who was home rather than pre-stalk targets.

I first got interested in this case because someone I knew claimed the attacker broke into her home and stole her daughter's picture but never came back. It was on La Riviera. Since then I've heard many Sac people make similar claims. If they were all true then the cops were pretty incompetent which I do not think was the case.
I've dated a few women the last year above coincidently lived on La Riviera. I remember one night just starting out the window of this bedroom. It had to have been about 3am. There was a total stillness that just made it creepy to think that it was the usual time that EAR would strike. The fact it was the same neighborhood made it very tense. I remember leaving a little while later while it was still dark (6am in winter) and noticing most of the house had all their blonde and shades wide open. You could see everything in these people's homes. How much had changed in 37 years.
It must have been an "open season" for him to pick and choose at will.
Charlie99909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #209
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie99909
I've dated a few women the last year above coincidently lived on La Riviera. I remember one night just starting out the window of this bedroom. It had to have been about 3am. There was a total stillness that just made it creepy to think that it was the usual time that EAR would strike. The fact it was the same neighborhood made it very tense. I remember leaving a little while later while it was still dark (6am in winter) and noticing most of the house had all their blonde and shades wide open. You could see everything in these people's homes. How much had changed in 37 years.
It must have been an "open season" for him to pick and choose at will.

I'm still in the process of reading through that guy's EAR / ONS website. So far I'm only up to 1978 due to the extreme detail of each attack. How was all this info (detailed descriptions of his clothing and dialogue during each of the many attacks) accessible? With all of the Rapes that were occurring in those suburbs from 1976-79 I surprised all residents didn't have their Houses locked up at night like Fort Knox! Yet this guy continued stalking and gaining access to his victims homes very easily by the sounds of things.
Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #210
Awsi Dooger

Great site, although it appears he was determined to define the 1970s and used the EAR cases as a launching pad for that summary.

The pictures are particularly valuable. I've been to Sacramento a few times, but always during unbearably hot summers and never spent more than a few days. I didn't grasp the layout of the communities until the photos, and with the very thoughtful captions below.

Very good segment on the Maggiores. I didn't realize they went the other direction from their normal dog walking route, and that the deadly encounter otherwise probably doesn't happen. I've never understood how the composites were so specific in that incident, if the chase occurred at roughly 9:15 or 9:30 PM. This is early February, hardly the long daylight of mid summer. Fleeting glances in the dark, possibly aided by staggered street lights. If the Maggiores recognized EAR it had to be within close quarters, perhaps called out by name.

The author loses me when he tries to identify the offender, and claims 99% certainty. That's always the problem with pursuits like this, wanting to pretend that simply because you've done more work than virtually anyone else, the reward will be the correct name. Sorry, buddy, your 99% is a massive longshot.

I can't get many of the links to work. Some seemingly work one day and not the next. And in some fashion I actually miss the invented dialogue from Sudden Terror. Maybe this author should have asked permission to include some of it, massaging a word or phrase here and there.

What is the over/under on how many times EAR shouted, "Shut up!" ?
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote