Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of March 30, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time a Hit in Ratings; Late Night Talk Set to Return Next Week
Fri-Yay: Review of One Day at a Time Season 4 Premiere; NBC Sets Will & Grace Finale Night and Special I Love Lucy Episode
CBS Slates Primetime Special from Home with James Corden; Fox Announces Living Room Concert for America
Antenna TV Schedule Change on March 30, Doubling Up Comedies; Millionaire 20th Anniversary Premiere Celebs
ABC Giving A Modern Farewell to Series; Samantha Bee Returns from Home on Wednesday
Bounce Sitcom Returns April 1, No Foolin'; Never Have I Ever Gets Netflix Premiere Date

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #76
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28 View Post
My retort to this: If such a show keeps getting renewed despite its declining quality or non-watchability, and having already ran its course, then younger shows on the network will suffer and be held back.

For example, I think the runs of Taxi and Too Close for Comfort were pretty much ruined because of Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. And the shows that Ledhed mentoned could be a reason why the early 1980s were a terrible time for sitcoms. HD, L&S, and The Jeffersons kept getting renewed because there was nothing fresh or good until Cheers debuted.

And I suppose that after Gunsmoke got back to the Top-10 of the ratings after it was saved from cancellation, that one must have held back younger shows, also. LOL
OK, I'll concede the point on Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley, which coincidentally began their decline during the same season, 1980-81. HD lost Ron Howard and Donny Most and L&S moved to California.

And also during that time -- early 80s -- the sitcom was in decline. Even Cheers wasn't a hit its first season. It was The Cosby Show that revived the sitcom and made it viable again. You have to put Bill Cosby's real-life transgressions aside, because nobody knew about it then.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #77
Alan Brady's Hair

I don't think that it can be said that this show held that show back. Shows compete for airtime against the worst show that network has, and if they can't make that cut there are always other networks. There has always been room on the schedule for a good show.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #78
James28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70s show watcher View Post
i wish they would do one for all of those aging crime dramas that have been on cbs forever some of them are goood shows but are long past ther sell by dates
Hey, I first suggested something like this five years ago (when the original CSI was airing its last season).

This year (2020), it's Criminal Minds that's ending. I don't know about NCIS, or how long it will continue to be CBS's top drama, especially with The Big Bang Theory gone (which is the reason why I stopped watching CBS last year). I could see Hawaii Five-0, Blue Bloods, and NCIS: Los Angeles ending in the early 2020s (I am worried about their future renewals because they're just going to end up cancelled without a proper sendoff later).

It'd be boring if every procedural were literally the same (i.e. not unique).
Old 02-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #79
Schmo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair View Post
I think this is right. You had ethnic shows like Amos and Andy, the Goldberg's, Life with Luigi, and then no show was ever "grittier" than The Honeymooners. Between protests and advertisers who wanted squeaky clean programming, most of that stuff got pushed out for small town/suburban shows where Dad was some sort of professional.
In the early years of TV, most shows were produced in NYC and most of the audience was in the urban northeast. By the late 1950s, most Americans owned a television, production had shifted to Hollywood, and a more “white bread” sitcom style developed.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #80
Yong Fang

I think the whole "Rural Purge" thing was unfair to CBS. A lot of these shows were showing their age. Of the shows below.....

The Beverly Hillbillies (CBS, 1962–1971)
Green Acres (CBS, 1965–1971)
Mayberry R.F.D. (CBS, 1968–1971)
Hee-Haw (CBS, 1969–1971)
Jim Nabors (CBS 1969-1971)

The first three were about at the end of their rope anyway. Especially The Beverly Hillbillies. Show wasnt good at the end. Mayberry RFD to me was a contination of the less stellar Andy Griffith Show without Andy Griffith. I have read that Jim Nabors was actually getting tired of television and wanted to hit the road with his musical act as a headliner and do other stuff.

Hee Haw worked much better as a syndication series anyway and I am sure made the producers of the show a lot more money.

So I dont think it was so much CBS just saying "We need to kill all these country shows", more that these shows were at their end and were going to be cancelled anyway. As mentioned before, Gunsmoke survived because Paley's wife loved the series and it was an excellent series. Gunsmoke was pretty amazing in that it began when I Love Lucy was on and ended when MASH was on the same network.

To me now, a lot of 1960's TV shows were for lack of a better term, hokey. Unsophisticated and dumb. There were exceptions like The Dick Van Dyke Show which very could have been shown in color a decade later. Andy Griffith Show, even seen as a "country or rural show" was very well written and done, well arguably the black and white episodes of the first five seasons. Leave it to Beaver was another show of the early 1960's that while very dated, pretty much showed suburban life of sixty years ago.

But a lot of the shows were gimmicky, Like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, Addams Family, The Munsters. Sort of a flight of reality and I think by the end of the 1960's into the early 1970's it wasnt so much getting rid of the "country shows", is that people wanted shows with more realism. I think that in the 1950's and 1960's the networks really shied away from realism, and then slowly saw that people dont mind seeing married people in one bed, social problems being discussed, once taboo issues being discussed. All In the Family kicked that door down in 1971-1972. Thus beginning of the 1970's Golden Age of mostly realistic comedies and dramas.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #81
jimpickens

But when you look back at how turbulent the 60's were those screwball shows were needed and as for the 70's realism um please explain the likes of Happy Days Mork and Mindy and Laverne and Shirley.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #82
visaman666
Forum Regular

Those last two programs were spin-offs of Happy Days, which had jumped the shark by then.
visaman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #83
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpickens View Post
They need to complete purge of stuff like American Idol, The Voice and Dancing With The Stars as well as **** like Survivor bring back the westerns.
* Hurumph!* Survivor and Big Brother are the only two network shows that I watch now.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #84
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniod View Post
So what happened in 1975-76? TV got so inane(with exceptions)that I swore the demographic Networks were aiming for from the mid-70s through the 60s was 12-year olds.
I was 12 in 1976-77. Gen X man!
Old 02-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #85
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
as for the 70's realism um please explain the likes of Happy Days Mork and Mindy and Laverne and Shirley.
As I've said before, it was a false realism. The Bunkers had two people not members of the household die inside the house, and two others brutally murdered just after walking out the front door, in just a few years. That's not realism, even in New York City. Even if every single event that happened in MASH episodes was based on something that happened in Korea, it's not realism because they didn't all happen to one doctor or one unit. It should be obvious because it's all on a little flat screen, but none of scripted television is realistic.

This is what realism in television would be:

Quote:
GEORGE: Yeah, but nothing happens on the show. You see, it's just like life. You know, you eat, you go shopping, you read.. You eat, you read, You go shopping.

RUSSELL: You read? You read on the show?

JERRY: Well, I don't know about the reading.. We didn't discuss the reading.

RUSSELL: All right, tell me, tell me about the stories. What kind of stories?

GEORGE: Oh, no. No stories.

RUSSELL: No stories? So, what is it?

GEORGE: (Showing an example) What'd you do today?

RUSSELL: I got up and came to work.

GEORGE: There's a show. That's a show.

RUSSELL: (Confused) How is that a show?

JERRY: Well, uh, maybe something happens on the way to work.

GEORGE: No, no, no. Nothing happens.

JERRY: Well, something happens.

RUSSELL: Well, why am I watching it?

GEORGE: Because it's on TV.

RUSSELL: (Threatening) Not yet.
So that's 30 seconds of realism in seventy years of television.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #86
jimpickens

True but I was getting at was that while the 60's had allot of hokey surreal shows the 70's were as bad in that department as well.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #87
TSMIV
Forum Regular

Quote:
Quote:
GEORGE: Yeah, but nothing happens on the show. You see, it's just like life. You know, you eat, you go shopping, you read.. You eat, you read, You go shopping.

RUSSELL: You read? You read on the show?

JERRY: Well, I don't know about the reading.. We didn't discuss the reading.

RUSSELL: All right, tell me, tell me about the stories. What kind of stories?

GEORGE: Oh, no. No stories.

RUSSELL: No stories? So, what is it?

GEORGE: (Showing an example) What'd you do today?

RUSSELL: I got up and came to work.

GEORGE: There's a show. That's a show.

RUSSELL: (Confused) How is that a show?

JERRY: Well, uh, maybe something happens on the way to work.

GEORGE: No, no, no. Nothing happens.

JERRY: Well, something happens.

RUSSELL: Well, why am I watching it?

GEORGE: Because it's on TV.

RUSSELL: (Threatening) Not yet.
I've always thought the pilot storyline dragged on too long on Seinfeld, but that scene is hilarious.
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #88
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
But when you look back at how turbulent the 60's were those screwball shows were needed and as for the 70's realism um please explain the likes of Happy Days Mork and Mindy and Laverne and Shirley.
Simple. Not everyone liked the more realistic shows. Some people wanted an alternative.

When asked how his shows compared to Norman Lear's, Garry Marshall said something like "Norman Lear's shows are like school. My shows are like recess."

Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #89
jimpickens

Yeah by the mid 70's people were getting tired of being preached to.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #90
merlinjones
Frequent Poster

While the networks rural purge (and the move to urban relevance) impacted the lack of fanciful shows in the early 1970s, IMHO, it was equally the fault of the prime-access rule that stripped away the 7:30 PM time slots that were filled in the 1960s by shows appealing to kids and families. Between all 3 networks that's 21 half hours not being programmed so away went all the Flintstone/Gilligan/Flipper/Lassie/Beaver type shows.

And what did we get out of it? Rehashed game shows and entertainment reporting. Bad trade.
merlinjones is offline   Reply With Quote