Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Game Shows Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Game Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Broadcast Network Lineups Out; The CW Looking to Get Back Into Sitcom Business
HBO Renews Barry for Season 4; Apple TV+ Comedy Trying Returns in July; Remembering Maggie Peterson of The Andy Griffith Show
The CW Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Rick and Morty Returns as Anime on Adult Swim
CBS Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Turner Upfront Updates
ABC Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Pete Davidson Comedy Adds Edie Falco
NBC Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Fox Upfront 2022-23: Call Me Kat and Welcome to Flatch Renewed
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 16, 2022)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-May)

ALT= Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series (2022 Release) Brooklyn Nine-Nine - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Fourth Season Becker - The Complete Series (2022 Release)

02/08 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Ninth Season
02/22 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
02/22 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
03/08 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Eight
03/08 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) (DVD)
03/15 - Head of the Class - The Complete Fourth Season
03/15 - The Proud Family - The Complete Original Series - Anniversary Collection
03/22 - The Honeymooners Specials - The Complete Collection
03/29 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-5 (Blu-ray) (DVD)
03/29 - Young Rock - Season One
04/05 - Up All Night - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/26 - The Danny Thomas Show (aka Make Room for Daddy) - The Complete Fourth Season
04/26 - Jackie Gleason TV Treasures - 70th Anniversary Collection (including Honeymooners Rarities)
05/03 - No Activity - Season Three
05/31 - Becker - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Search Sitcoms Online:

Old 01-14-2022, 05:57 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Legend

Default Jeopardy! should be retired because of the proliferation of winning streaks

-- or the five-win rule should be brought back

"Jeopardy! has lost the spirit that made it an American institution," says Tom Nichols. "I am not the first to notice that the show, like other formerly amateur pursuits in America, has become professionalized and mostly closed to the casual player. It is no longer a show that celebrates the smarts of the average citizen; it is now a showcase for people who prep and practice, who enter the studio determined not to shine for a day or even a week but to beat the game itself. This, combined with the abolition back in 2003 of the long-standing rule that you must retire after five wins, has created long streaks where a few players over time crush the daylights out of the sacrificial lambs who have no real chance of beating the reigning champ without either a dash of luck or an unforced error." Nichols points out that returning champions with winning streaks have a huge advantage, having become comfortable on camera and mastering the clicker. "Watch the veterans play after they’ve won a few games. They have cracked the code, which, as paradoxical as it seems, includes completely ignoring the host," says Nichols. "The losers—again, you can watch this happen—are very focused on looking at the host, but the winners are looking at the board. They’re reading ahead, forming an answer, and waiting for the light to go on. In my best moments on the show, it was me and the board, that little light, the buzzer, and nothing else. If you’ve done all this even two or three times, new players are at an instant disadvantage. No one wants to play against a returning champ." Nichols adds: "Jeopardy! used to be a spirited, and limited, competition among ordinary Americans. Now we watch because we want to see James or Matt or Amy squash a passel of newbies every week, hapless victims for whom victory is mathematically out of reach within 20 minutes. This doesn’t reflect well on our culture. Bring in more people and make it about watching your friends and neighbors again."
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
howilu

I don't think Jeopardy should be retired. It's still my current favorite game show and I play along every day I watch it. But with the long winning streaks of Matt Amodio and Amy Schneider, I think it's time for the producers to bring back the five win maximum that was rescinded in 2003. It will give more people a chance to compete on Jeopardy.
howilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Star

There is nothing wrong with long winning streaks. Dominant players like Ken Jennings and James Holzhauer (2/3 of the GOAT tournament, plus Ken has been an excellent host) wouldn't have become famous without them. Bringing back the five day rule should never happen. Maybe capping it at 30 or 40 games, but 5 is way too few.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
TSMIV
Forum Regular

In between Ken and James, there weren't that many long winning streaks. The only ones that really stand out are Matt Jackson and Arthur Chu. And they only stand out because of their weird strategy. Alex Jacob, Austin Rogers, and Buzzy Cohen had pretty good runs, but they weren't close to Ken. Matt Amodio was one of my favorite players and I wanted to see him continue, but his and Amy's streaks being so close together is just a fluke.
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:00 PM   #5
SarahBellum

There should be some kind of limit - either based on number of games or dollar amount. I get tired of seeing the same brainiac night after night. At some point, the producer needs to intervene and say enough already and let someone else have a chance.

Last edited by SarahBellum; 01-15-2022 at 12:25 PM.
SarahBellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
Mario500
Forum Regular

(suggests retiring this "Jeopardy!" due to its not having had a certain Mike Richards* remain as its host on a regular basis)

(*a favorite of mine for this position of host along with a certain LeVar Burton in recent times)
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #7
AMackII
Forum Fanatic

Jeopardy’s longest win streaks has been a major trend since 2003 and that format should continue to help the show more often.
AMackII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:59 AM   #8
Duster76
Forum Regular

Well, this is of course an academic discussion, the show is a smashing success, making loads of money for the producers so if it ain't broke...... . That said, I was never in favor of them going beyond the five time limit. The show in the old days was about ordinary people (mailman, schoolteacher, policeman etc) being contestants. I admit I enjoyed it a lot more in those days.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:22 PM   #9
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBellum View Post
There should be some kind of limit - either based on number of games or dollar amount. I get tired of seeing the same brainiac night after night. At some point, the producer needs to intervene and say enough already and let someone else have a chance.
You said it, I agree with you. I feel so sorry for two new contestants who get trounced day after day. It starts to be the Amy Schiender show.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:12 AM   #10
Yong Fang

Cap it at 20 and whoever makes 20 gets a Million Dollars and a return trip in the future for a Jeoprady championship.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:24 AM   #11
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang View Post
Cap it at 20
"it"?
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #12
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Legend

Former "Jeopardy!" Champ Argues Game Show Needs to Bring Back Limit on Wins
by Andrea Towers
Jan. 21, 2022

We've seen a lot of winning streaks on "Jeopardy!" lately — which is causing some fans to complain it needs to shake up its format.

Tom Nichols, a five-time champion of the game show, recently told Boston Public Radio that he thinks the solution is to limit these endless streaks of success, which would involve retooling some of the player rules.

Before 2003, "Jeopardy!" contestants were allowed to win only five consecutive games before they were forced to "retire." When that rule was lifted, smarties like Ken Jennings — who in 2004 became the highest consecutive winner in the show's history — began to hold the champion spot for weeks on end.

"After about two or three wins, I think you've got such an advantage. You've been using the buzzer, — which is much more important than people realize; you're a lot more comfortable in the studio; you understand the rhythm of the game," said Nichols. "Newer people just walking in there don't really have much of a chance, and that's purely because the returning champions have mastered the mechanics of the game."

"If you've done that for eight, nine, 10 games, there's a reason they used to retire you," he continued. "But the ratings are up, and people want to treat it like a sport and professionalize it. You might as well move the show to Vegas."

Since contestant Amy Schneider began winning games last year, viewership of the game show has soared. Schneider is only the fourth contestant — and the first woman — to hit the $1 million mark, after Jennings, James Holzhauer in 2019, and Matt Amodio in 2021.

"The whole charm of the show was to celebrate ordinary Americans showing what they knew. It was not supposed to be 38 games of Hulk Smash," said Nichols.

"Maybe it's time to retire the game — especially as they're having trouble finding hosts who aren't annoying," Nichols said.

"I've seen a few games recently in which some of the contestants simply had no chance even on a more level playing field. I want everyone on Jeopardy! to have a good run, not just wave to Mom and Dad and then get creamed."

https://ew.com/tv/former-jeopardy-ch...n-limits-back/
Attached Images

JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:16 PM   #13
TSMIV
Forum Regular

As I said above, there haven't been any super long winning streaks outside of Ken, James, Matt and Amy. Four long steaks in 18 years is not a reason to change the rules or trash the show.
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:39 AM   #14
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMIV View Post
As I said above, there haven't been any super long winning streaks outside of Ken, James, Matt and Amy. Four long steaks in 18 years is not a reason to change the rules or trash the show.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #15
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

The last few nights, I have zipped by the main section of the show and watched the final jeopardy question and if Amy wins again, Well I haven't had to sit through watching another 2 contestants squirm and leave with a pitiful amount. .
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote