Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Britcoms Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Britcoms

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Renews Barry for Season 4; Apple TV+ Comedy Trying Returns in July; Remembering Maggie Peterson of The Andy Griffith Show
The CW Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Rick and Morty Returns as Anime on Adult Swim
CBS Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Turner Upfront Updates
ABC Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Pete Davidson Comedy Adds Edie Falco
NBC Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Fox Upfront 2022-23: Call Me Kat and Welcome to Flatch Renewed
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 16, 2022)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Looking at Fall Renewals and Cancellations; Married... with Children Animated Reboot in the Works

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-May)

ALT= Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series (2022 Release) Brooklyn Nine-Nine - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Fourth Season Becker - The Complete Series (2022 Release)

02/08 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Ninth Season
02/22 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
02/22 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
03/08 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Eight
03/08 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) (DVD)
03/15 - Head of the Class - The Complete Fourth Season
03/15 - The Proud Family - The Complete Original Series - Anniversary Collection
03/22 - The Honeymooners Specials - The Complete Collection
03/29 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-5 (Blu-ray) (DVD)
03/29 - Young Rock - Season One
04/05 - Up All Night - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/26 - The Danny Thomas Show (aka Make Room for Daddy) - The Complete Fourth Season
04/26 - Jackie Gleason TV Treasures - 70th Anniversary Collection (including Honeymooners Rarities)
05/03 - No Activity - Season Three
05/31 - Becker - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Search Sitcoms Online:

Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Liz81
Occasional Poster

Default Keeping Up Appearances

Anyone still watch it from the US? I don't think I can see the reruns on my TV anymore but I'd have to check my TV Guide. I love the whole cast, especially Hyacinth and Onslow! Hyacinth is just so funny with her physical comedy and Onslow with his comebacks at Rose's love life, "No wonder your bed's a lonely one, you're always in someone else's." LOL! He was clearly not one for romance. Like the whole series, he'd ignore Daisy's flirting. Poor Daisy lol.
Liz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
Willbo
Forum Regular

I watch it on Saturday nights. It was a great comedy and so funny. I wish there had been more seasons.
Willbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
Hazel Anyday

It ran for years in my area but a few months ago it disappeared. Luckily I stopped depending on TV station's good graces to watch my favorite shows. I've been watching the commercial DVD set for years now too. Which means you get to see the hour specials the PBS stations always skipped. If you want to see the show buy the DVDs and you can stop the useless wishing, it gets you nowhere. PBS stations always skipped the hour long specials but you can see them on the commercial DVD set. DVDs what a great new invention.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

I have always loved this show and watch it on the Saturday nights that PBS shows it. I did not know they had any hour-long episodes.
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #5
knicksfan89
Frequent Poster

No they didn't and this series was a classic
knicksfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #6
Hazel Anyday

Cool The Hour Long Shows on DVD

I'm sorry, but they had several hour long specials that you don't see on PBS, they are always skipped. If you buy the DVDs you'll find them there. After you buy the DVDs then tell me there are no hour long shows. Apologies accepted in advance.
Hazel Anyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #7
Willbo
Forum Regular

The QE II episode is an hour long special and I love that one. My PBS station shows it periodically. I believe that some of the Christmas episodes are an hour. I do not have the DVD's so not sure on all of them.
Willbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:24 AM   #8
Route66Fan
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
The QE II episode is an hour long special and I love that one. My PBS station shows it periodically. I believe that some of the Christmas episodes are an hour. I do not have the DVD's so not sure on all of them.
KCPT in Kansas City, MO ran this episode, several years back, as part of a pledge drive.
Route66Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #9
GhostAura
Occasional Poster

Absolutely! I first saw it on WQLN (PBS) back around 2000. It was on Netflix a while back, and I bought a DVD set for keeps. Great bunch of characters.
GhostAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
brtcmfn
Frequent Poster

Have the DVD's also and it's on Britbox-
So glad they never did an American version.
brtcmfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
Sgt. Saunders
Frequent Poster

KUA writer Roy Clarke had written episodes for an additional season and the other cast members were ready to return to film them. However, Dame Patricia Routledge did not want continue on as Hyacinthe Bucket (pronounced “Bouquet”) saying, I didn’t want people to say to me, ‘You’re still doing that silly show?’”
Sgt. Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #12
cloggedmind
Inactive Member
Frequent Poster

I personally love the show and try to live as casually, calmly and with the same relaxed demeanor as Onslow.

What amazes me is the cast of the show could pull off anything from verbal to physical comedy and all turned in an ensemble performance, despite the fact that the two lead actors, Routledge and Swift, pretty much dismissed the show as throwaway rubbish, but an easy paycheck.

Equally amazing is the character of Richard, who is often so downtrodden, sympathetic, gentle and with a heart of pure gold, is portrayed by an actor who (as it is well known, this is not random name calling) was a collossal jerk and felt that the series was beneath his ability. In all fairness, that might even be true, but just the fact that he treated many people like fans, journalists and just the general public like utter trash will never affect my enjoyment of the series.

I do wish Onslow and Daisy could've continued on in their own series-- just one more year or so to give the characters a bit more time on screen.
cloggedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #13
Sgt. Saunders
Frequent Poster

cloggedmind,

Yes, Onslow really is a role model in how you should always stay cool and laidback in life. Or as his “slightly” toffee-nosed sister-in-law, Hyacinthe Bucket (pronounced “Bouquet”), would put it, “Yes, Onslow has always displayed a keen sense of sangfroid as he journeys through life.”

I did not know that actor Clive Swift, the actor who wonderfully portrayed the perpetually hen-pecked Richard Bucket, was not nearly as nice as “Dickie”Bucket was on the show. I’ve seen him in other tv shows, like “Inspector Morse” and “Midsomer Murders” with the great John Nettles, and also in the film, “Excalibur.” But, I think he’s by far best known for his role on KUA.

It’ sad that several of the KUA actors are now dead, including Geoffrey Hughes (Onslow), Mary Millar (the overly-amorous Rose) and Clive Swift. Like with Roy Clarke’s other hit comedy tv series, “The Last of the Summer Wine,” many of the great actors have passed on.

Last edited by Sgt. Saunders; 01-15-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:32 AM   #14
cloggedmind
Inactive Member
Frequent Poster

If it shows up properly formatted and readable, check out the transcript of Clive Swift's interview from Doctor Who Magazine, Circa 2008:

https://filmboards.com/board/t/Perfo...ecial-2648872/

That's kinda how he was: prickly.
cloggedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #15
Sgt. Saunders
Frequent Poster

The late Mr. Swift sounded as if he could have used some charm lessons from either Joseph Stalin or Alec Baldwin.