Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #46
BritishJustice
Member
Frequent Poster
 
BritishJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 30, 2011
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
Posts: 40
Default

Thank you to those taking the time to scan through and analyse the footage. For those of us unable to do so, it is providing a very interesting commentary ��
__________________
Jim Harrison: "Susan, you're being bad again..."
BritishJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #47
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
I completely understand what you are saying. Iím putting together a full analysis of my combing through the tape. Iíll then remove my earlier multiple posts to consolidate things a bit. But as I understand it, this footage is not only degraded, but it was from a copy to begin with. The original was turned over to the FBI. The original footage would have been much clearer than what we are seeing here. So Iíd guess when viewed at the time, even if not slowed down, the people in it would appear much clearer.
The surveillance tape, even when shown on UM in the re-enactment scene with Patrick Foley, was a constant switching between 3 camera angles. Each camera recorded footage which lasted about 4-5 seconds. Even with better quality footage available, and a slower version, there is no scene of Kerstetter "meeting" this masked man at the back of the plant, nor is there ever a scene where Kerstetter is seen on camera ever again. The duration of their interaction together is 4 seconds. Why would Foley not be more concerned for Dale's safety and immediately jump to Dale was involved based off of this? And, IMO, this is where the Dale was involved theory crumbles:

-Kerstetter let himself be seen with the intruder for a total of 4 seconds. He never shows back up in any of the recorded footage.
-If Kerstetter was "coolly flaunting his crime" by looking into the camera, why wasn't he seen in the tank area assisting the masked man?
-If the masked man brought along another mask and disguise for Dale to wear, why didn't any of the cameras ever pick up 2 distinguishable looking masked men?
-If Kerstetter was involved, why was the masked man first seen on the tapes alone, almost as if he was looking for him?
-The duration of the crime was over an hour. Again, why wouldn't Dale be there assisting the masked man cut the platinum and/or transporting it out of the tank area if he was involved?
-What exactly was Dale doing the entire time the masked man was cutting the platinum out of the tank area?
-At roughly 10:45:23 on the footage, you can see movement on camera 2, and this might have been the first known footage of the intruder lurking in the back right area of where that camera was filming. Then at 10:45:48 is where Dale and the intruder are seen together in the back right area. That strikes me more of the intruder lying in wait to surprise Dale as opposed to "meeting" with him.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #48
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,642
Default

I just thought of something else. According to this article:



Dale's shift began at around 10:30 p.m. that night. It also says that the intruder appears about 10 minutes after his shift began. This would match the timestamps in the new footage, since the intruder is seen at around 10:45 with Dale. I have seen multiple sources talk about how the guards were supposed to call in every hour to report, but because there was a new employee working that night, Dale's absence went unnoticed. What's odd though is that some of the articles say that Dale did in fact call in at midnight, but others say that he was supposed to check in at midnight but failed to do so. One article written 3 years after his disappearance has the line, "A check of the clock records showed Kerstetter hadn't made his rounds of the plant since midnight."

I guess what I'm getting at is that if the timestamps on the released footage as well as the allegation that Dale phoned in at midnight are accurate, that would be a huge break into determining whether or not Dale was involved with the theft. Because if he did in fact interact with this masked man at 10:45 p.m., and then phone in (or clock in) to check in at midnight, he almost certainly would have to have been involved.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #49
Huskerz85
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2006
Location: Westeros
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
I guess what I'm getting at is that if the timestamps on the released footage as well as the allegation that Dale phoned in at midnight are accurate, that would be a huge break into determining whether or not Dale was involved with the theft. Because if he did in fact interact with this masked man at 10:45 p.m., and then phone in (or clock in) to check in at midnight, he almost certainly would have to have been involved.
It could also point to the perp being a disgruntled employee Dale knew/was friendly with.

I posited a theory here (post #692) that Corning's actions towards its employees could've spurred one or more disgruntled persons toward engineering the theft.

freakbook also chimed in (post #694), positing that Dale could've been in on it, but was double crossed at some point.

Quote:
"Given how the intruder showed up right when Dale got to work suggests: 1.) This was an employee/ex-employee who knew the schedule, or 2.) Dale had told his accomplice when to arrive (beginning of his shift). That's why this is hard to say. Either this was like Office Space, and some employees/fired employees tried to get back at the company, but unfortunately one was killed, or Dale had nothing to do with it and was an innocent victim. You can make a case for either one."
That would seem to match up with what the timestamps on the released footage point towards
Huskerz85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #50
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,642
Default



For anyone having trouble seeing anything, here is one of the clearest shots of Dale & the intruder together. Dale is outlined in blue below and the intruder is in green.

TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #51
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerz85 View Post
freakbook also chimed in (post #694), positing that Dale could've been in on it, but was double crossed at some point.
The biggest issue I have with that theory is that Dale is seen with the intruder at 10:45, and then the intruder is seen alone at various points until roughly 1 a.m. The intruder is seen removing the platinum at around 12:20-12:30 a.m. Various articles have mentioned that the platinum stolen was easily transportable by one person. The masked man appears to be pushing the dolly with the large bag shortly before 1 a.m. If Dale was in that bag, he was incapacitated shortly after 10:45 p.m., and left the intruder to steal the platinum before then removing Dale's body from the plant.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #52
Huskerz85
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2006
Location: Westeros
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
The biggest issue I have with that theory is that Dale is seen with the intruder at 10:45, and then the intruder is seen alone at various points until roughly 1 a.m. The intruder is seen removing the platinum at around 12:20-12:30 a.m. Various articles have mentioned that the platinum stolen was easily transportable by one person. The masked man appears to be pushing the dolly with the large bag shortly before 1 a.m. If Dale was in that bag, he was incapacitated shortly after 10:45 p.m., and left the intruder to steal the platinum before then removing Dale's body from the plant.
It's still plausible in my mind. If Dale was disgruntled (and others were as well), I'm betting the idea popped up sometime in advance. The perp(s) could've simply decided to double cross Dale and then, with that in mind, dispose of him first thing upon arriving at the plant.

Alternately, if you choose to decide Dale wasn't in on it, then the idea was entirely thought up by the perp, who may or may not have known Dale from work, but who still disposed of him first thing before going on to steal the platinum.
Huskerz85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #53
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerz85 View Post
It's still plausible in my mind. If Dale was disgruntled (and others were as well), I'm betting the idea popped up sometime in advance. The perp(s) could've simply decided to double cross Dale and then, with that in mind, dispose of him first thing upon arriving at the plant.
Dale knew about the hourly security check-ins though. Why risk getting caught instead of checking in every hour until the crime was completed?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #54
drew790
Member
Forum Regular
 
drew790's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2017
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
I just thought of something else. According to this article:



Dale's shift began at around 10:30 p.m. that night. It also says that the intruder appears about 10 minutes after his shift began. This would match the timestamps in the new footage, since the intruder is seen at around 10:45 with Dale. I have seen multiple sources talk about how the guards were supposed to call in every hour to report, but because there was a new employee working that night, Dale's absence went unnoticed. What's odd though is that some of the articles say that Dale did in fact call in at midnight, but others say that he was supposed to check in at midnight but failed to do so. One article written 3 years after his disappearance has the line, "A check of the clock records showed Kerstetter hadn't made his rounds of the plant since midnight."

I guess what I'm getting at is that if the timestamps on the released footage as well as the allegation that Dale phoned in at midnight are accurate, that would be a huge break into determining whether or not Dale was involved with the theft. Because if he did in fact interact with this masked man at 10:45 p.m., and then phone in (or clock in) to check in at midnight, he almost certainly would have to have been involved.
With so much discrepancy with the local reporting I think it all needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially with the small size of some of these publications and it being an era where retractions were not as easy to disseminate.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #55
drew790
Member
Forum Regular
 
drew790's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2017
Posts: 484
Default

With how inept they handled everything I wouldn’t be surprised if he never left the plant.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #56
moneypenny10
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 26, 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 38
Default

Thank you all for your dedication on the analysis and clarification of the finally released video! I wished that its release would have answered questions rather than create more. I know that you have spent many hours attempting to enhance the quality and defining the timeline. I truly appreciate your efforts and look forward to your posts! Dale's daughter, Penny
moneypenny10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #57
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypenny10 View Post
Thank you all for your dedication on the analysis and clarification of the finally released video! I wished that its release would have answered questions rather than create more. I know that you have spent many hours attempting to enhance the quality and defining the timeline. I truly appreciate your efforts and look forward to your posts! Dale's daughter, Penny
Just judging by the timestamps in the video, it looks like Dale and the intruder are seen together (for approximately 4 seconds) at 10:45 p.m. The masked man is then seen throughout various shots until roughly 12:40 a.m. Almost 2 hours. Dale is never seen on the footage after 10:45 p.m.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #58
wackerstack
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 07, 2019
Posts: 2
Default

I've lurked here for a thousand years but I registered just to share my appreciation for the people involved in bringing this footage to light and processing it so the rest of us can actually get something out of it. I hope Guardian will still be able to provide isolated video of the relevant moments, I think it would be really interesting to see even if choppy/generated.
wackerstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:30 AM   #59
jbjr56
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 27, 2018
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 126
Default

Great information on the video, guys. Case was always creepy to me and the real footage while blurry still creeped me out!
jbjr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #60
freakbook
Member
Senior Member
 
freakbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2017
Posts: 1,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
Dale knew about the hourly security check-ins though. Why risk getting caught instead of checking in every hour until the crime was completed?
If Dale checked in every hour WHILE the crime was being committed then he would be looked at as inept or in on it. I think Dale set this up with him being alive and returning to the plant in mind, but he was killed instead. He didn't want to let on he was an accomplice, so he didn't check in to make it seem like he was being held up somewhere, this would not only let him profit off the platinum, but let him return to his job without him being seen as a suspect.

This is why I think that it's a huge possibility that Dale was in on it, but was double-crossed at some point. If he was in the bag then it was so he could be hidden from the cameras while being pushed around giving instructions to the masked perp without being seen as being an accomplice on camera. Hiding in plain sight so to speak. It's weird how the perp knew where everything was but still took a long time to get out. He seemed kind of lost wandering around. Wouldn't be surprised if he was being coached and told where things were while he was trying to look for them.

Think about set up this seems, like they purposely were seen on camera together, then we never saw Dale on camera again. This would make sense as it would seem like Dale was in trouble or incapacitated while the masked burglar was getting the platinum. I wouldn't be surprised if Dale was in the bag fully alert the entire time and was killed at another location after the heist.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.