Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #31
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
I haven't found the sequence where the thief leaves yet, but I am wondering if either the light that obscures the shot is covering his exit, or like you noted, it was between cycles of the footage. Look closely at the UM portion where the man is cutting the pipe. He seems to be down INSIDE the portion of the machinery that he climbs onto in the surveillance footage. My guess is that he doesn't appear too long on the real footage because he is inside working on removing the pipe.
I watched the UM segment last night and you're correct. The re-enactment shows the thief climbing on top of something and removing a lid or cover. I assume he jumped down inside this space to access the platinum. In fact, we can sort of see this on the footage. As I scanned through it, I thought I could make out the thief squatting on top of something. That's probably what it was. Logically, one would assume there would have to be footage of his exiting this area, but it could have been obscured by the bright lights or not captured if the surveillance system was fixed on another camera angle during that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
It will take a lot of time, but I think I am going to edit this footage all together so that the camera 1 footage shows seamlessly, camera 2, and so on. Of course it won't add anything, but if I can edit out the camera jumps, it might make any movements caught on camera easier to see. But this will take a LOT of time to edit in this fashion.
Unfortunately, that would probably be the only way to discover more things, unless it's just by scanning through the video looking for movement. Good luck if you do decide to do this.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #32
Guardian
Forum Regular

Been playing with this at work today on my phone. Managed to get the masked man to show a bit more clearly here I think
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #33
Guardian
Forum Regular

And here is a manipulated version of this one. Wasnít able to do quite as much here. However, I am beginning to wonder about the possibility of two masked intruders. This guy almost looks like he is wearing a different coat than the previous photo. Some frames look the same, others donít. I feel like the person seen with Dale might be wearing a hoodie with a coat over it. This coat here does not look as heavy as the the one in the other photo. But Iíll concede that the quality is so bad it is hard to tell.
Attached Images

Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:30 AM   #34
rusty spike
Frequent Poster

I am going to make a wild guess that it was requested by the Corning people and not LE that requested the actual [now known poor quality] security tape to not be shown. Imagine a giant conglomerate that has millions of dollars in capital at the plant and they were safeguarding it with 3 cheapo cameras that really didn't show much. It would have made Corning look foolish.

I'm guessing that UM production agreed to the request because Corning was allowing the re-enactment to filmed at their property. I think Corning suspected that it was an inside job and Dale was the made the easy scapegoat for the robbery since he was never seen again. I also think that the company was eager to get the stolen pipes replaced and move on with manufacturing. I agree with others that Corning management came across as inept during the interviews.
rusty spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #35
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty spike View Post
I am going to make a wild guess that it was requested by the Corning people and not LE that requested the actual [now known poor quality] security tape to not be shown. Imagine a giant conglomerate that has millions of dollars in capital at the plant and they were safeguarding it with 3 cheapo cameras that really didn't show much. It would have made Corning look foolish.

I'm guessing that UM production agreed to the request because Corning was allowing the re-enactment to filmed at their property. I think Corning suspected that it was an inside job and Dale was the made the easy scapegoat for the robbery since he was never seen again. I also think that the company was eager to get the stolen pipes replaced and move on with manufacturing. I agree with others that Corning management came across as inept during the interviews.
It's been mentioned before on podcasts etc that Corning came off like that because if Dale was say murdered or at least taken against his will I'm pretty sure Corning would have had to pay some compensation to Dale's family. They pushed the He's in on it campaign to try to get out of that.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #36
Guardian
Forum Regular

This footage is nerve racking. This is one of those cases that for whatever reason has always stuck with me over the years. No idea why. With this footage finally available, it is a very strange feeling. I can’t describe it.

Compared to the segment, I am torn as to whether UM recreated a camera feed for the portions where investigators are reviewing the film. I know the portions with Dale and the masked man were recreated, but the feed on the security desk when Dale’s relief shows up in the morning might be the actual camera feed from the time.

One thing to note however is that the factory had been sold after Dale’s disappearance but before UM filmed (correct me if I’m wrong). This might explain a few differences in the factory itself from the real vs recreated footage. I know that Dale’s daughter has been very kind in her posts on this site, but I wondering if any of Dale’s coworkers have visited this site? It would’ve nice to get their input as to certain pieces of this mystery, primarily the layout of the factory.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:44 AM   #37
Guardian
Forum Regular

Ok, I've found something of interest. A bit of footage of the masked man that UM didn't show in their recreation. I am still analyzing it and the footage only gets worse closer to the end. As noted earlier in this thread, the man seems to disappear into a portion of the machinery. Careful watching of the UM reenactment support him climbing into the machine (or at least a cage like portion of the equipment that I'm referring to as machinery as it is difficult to tell exactly what it is) but in the camera 1 feed (the kiln) I believe I have found where the man reappears from within the machinery where he was removing the pipe.

Time index 47:45:18 Just as camera 1 comes back up in the feed, there is movement in the lower right portion of the screen. This is close to the same spot where the man was seen earlier doing something to the equipment. He disappeared after that for some time and then seems to reappear here.

Its very bad quality, but there is definite movement there. This is quite likely the man coming out of the machinery with the platinum. If I can get a good enough frame to show up, I will post a screen shot.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #38
Guardian
Forum Regular

Ok, hopefully others are finding this interesting so I'm not just posting and posting as I go through this, but my last post definitely seems to be the portion where the masked man climbs out of the machine, presumably with the platinum.

Just shortly after that, at time index 48:22:11, the man is standing there with what appears to be a bag or backpack on. The image is poor like the majority of the video, but I'm pretty sure I am seeing a strap of some sort coming from this bag. This is very eerie. Before the camera cycles through, he moves quickly away from the equipment at index 48:23:09

You will all have to excuse the gray water mark bar over a portion of the picture. I had to download a trial version of some software to get this file to play. Consequently the watermark is on some of the video.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #39
Guardian
Forum Regular

I found another portion of the masked man. This time on camera 2. The time index is 50:00:05 This time he is walking from the direction that he and Dale walked out of view from. He walks towards the direction that they came walking from in the earlier footage. The bag I mentioned in the last post appears to be on his back.

Although he appears here at 50:00:21, he does not become clear until 50:11:21. He is visible for a few frames and then the camera cycles through again. He is still visible further away from the camera when it cycles back at 50:03:18 (footage is distorted when it first comes back but he is clearly visible in silhouette a few frames after) look in the bottom corner of the screen shot.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #40
Guardian
Forum Regular

Another probable masked man appearance on camera 2 beginning at time index 50:13:21. I say probable here because the distortion in the video is becoming worse towards the end. But I believe I'm seeing movement in the lower portion of the camera's field of view (lower and slightly to the right). Pretty much looks like a black blob coming briefly into frame. I wouldn't have thought twice about it being a video anomaly except for after the camera cycles again, when it comes back to camera 2, it is very distorted but a vague human shape is visible walking through the screen. You would have to be watching in slow motion or frame by frame rapidly to catch it as the distortion is extremely bad here. I won't even bother with a screen shot on this part. He walks away from the camera and stops in the far portion of the factory. I am beginning to wonder if this could be the "pacing" sequence shown in UM. Although it indicated that happened first in the segment. But who knows?

Starting at 50:20:11, we definitely have the masked man visible through the distortion. He now walks toward the camera and out of view. Very poor quality, however one frame gives us a slightly clearer view. This may be the dolly/pallet jack sequence as the movement seems to match up. While he is definitely there, I am not certain if in one or two frames we might be able to see lighter patches of skin showing from the holes of his ski mask. I will have to play in photoshop later to see if I can bring up more detail in the attached frame.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2019, 03:29 AM   #41
Guardian
Forum Regular

There is some walking up and down in the frame on camera 2 almost immediately after the sequence noted above. This happens several times and seems fairly deliberate rather than just pacing. He basically walks the path that Dale was seen walking with him earlier, but he walks it back and forth several times. I'd say it is nearly continuous from my previous post save for a couple of camera cycles with nothing. But watch from there carefully and you will eventually see a human shape moving through the distortion. Some frames are sharper than others but it is too dark to get a good screen shot.

Of note though is around 50:44:09, the man walks in the direction of the camera holding a bag in his left hand. Holding it like one would hold a tool box or maybe a gym bag. I don't think a screen shot will show much here as I've had to rock the sequence back and forth to really see the movement. But I'll post one of this. Look in the lower right of the photo. The mans head is touching the tip of the watermark bar on the picture. Hard to see, but trust me, its there.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2019, 03:43 AM   #42
Guardian
Forum Regular

Again at camera 2 at 51:47:00 definitely a human shape walking toward the camera, slower than the other sequences. The distortion is getting worse so I'm seeing this movement in pixels at this point, but it is definitely a person still. No point in a screen shot here.

Same thing again at 52:46:29. Walking toward camera with a bag (or something like that) in the right hand this time. Very distorted, but clearly a person.

Last edited by Guardian; 08-10-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:26 AM   #43
Guardian
Forum Regular

At 54:11:13 camera 3 shows something. At this point it is pretty much a few visible frames in between frames of mostly static and distortion. But this camera which up until this point had shown what appears to be an empty hallway, suddenly has a human shape in it. There are only a few frames of this that are visible but what is there is in all probability a person. It seems to walk toward the camera before the distortion takes over and it is no longer visible. One thing I want to note here is that during the segment on UM, they show the recreated dolly/pallet jack sequence in their footage as being on what we know now to be the "camera 2" feed. But, I noticed watching that segment again that they actually have a "3" imprinted on the picture of the recreation. Well, camera 3 is of this hallway. Not sure of the significance of that if any. It could be an error, it could be something the police wanted withheld, or simply a production shortcut that was taken (with producers saying "the audience won't see the real tape, so what does it matter if the location is different in this one sequence"). Anyway, I'm attaching a screenshot here.

Anyway, thats it for tonight I think
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #44
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I cannot see anything in any of this, even when slowed down. Unless this footage was sped up to save a smaller file, I don't see how Patrick Foley could have seen anything that would have made him suspect that Dale was in on it. The camera cuts around so often to different views, and only 1 of them captured Dale.

Edit: I've played around with the footage and can finally sort of make out the "interaction" Dale has with the intruder.

Here is a link to the total duration of Dale and the intruder seen together, slowed down. The time stamp for the duration is 4 seconds. IMO, it looks like the masked intruder is leading Dale, not like they are walking together.

Last edited by TheCars1986; 08-12-2019 at 09:47 AM.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #45
Guardian
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
I cannot see anything in any of this, even when slowed down. Unless this footage was sped up to save a smaller file, I don't see how Patrick Foley could have seen anything that would have made him suspect that Dale was in on it. The camera cuts around so often to different views, and only 1 of them captured Dale.

Edit: I've played around with the footage and can finally sort of make out the "interaction" Dale has with the intruder.

Here is a link to the total duration of Dale and the intruder seen together, slowed down. The time stamp for the duration is 4 seconds. IMO, it looks like the masked intruder is leading Dale, not like they are walking together.

I completely understand what you are saying. Iím putting together a full analysis of my combing through the tape. Iíll then remove my earlier multiple posts to consolidate things a bit. But as I understand it, this footage is not only degraded, but it was from a copy to begin with. The original was turned over to the FBI. The original footage would have been much clearer than what we are seeing here. So Iíd guess when viewed at the time, even if not slowed down, the people in it would appear much clearer.