Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #46
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83 View Post
I think one of the weirdest things I've noticed is how old everyone looks. What I mean by this is...say they show someone in their early twenties...but she looks older than I am. Or people in their mid-thirties (my age) who look like they're in their fifties. I'm not certain, beyond hair styles and clothing, what exactly it is that causes me to not be able to properly judge the ages of these people...but it occurs in almost every segment lol
Totally agree. I've rewatched the Gail Delano segment recently and I ALWAYS SAY IT after I see it-- she looks so much older than her age. At this point in time now, I am older than Gail when she faked her disappearance. I still maintain she looks older than me in photos.

Other things that are fun-- the size of Kevin Paulson's computer in the Dark Dante segment. The fact that he had DIAL UP INTERNET. The fact that when I saw this segment for the first time, I thought ALL OF THAT was the coolest thing ever.

Rotary phones. Payphones. The lack of *69 or Caller ID functions. I've clearly spent a lot of time being amused by phones...
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #47
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

The way that marijuana was so negatively portrayed really stands out in several cases.

Brian Brophil’s segment is one such example. An entire segment on a nationally televised true crime show devoted to catching a guy that had never committed a violent crime just because he grew and sold pot seems ridiculously outdated. No accredited true crime show would ever bother profiling such a “criminal” in this day and age yet they tried to paint him like some type of Pablo Escobar Jr. or something.

Another one was the overreaction of the family and LEOs upon Steve Sandlin’s family discovering one pound of weed in his house was comical. It was more than likely planted there by dirty cops but why? Because of outdated ideologies is why. That bag had a street value of less than $1,000 back in 1988. Even if the bag was really Sandlin’s, I wouldn’t care. However, it most likely wasn’t and it was a small price to pay to make him look bad in the eyes of the uninformed back then.

That last paragraph leads me to another one: how much the average person blindly trusted the police back then is also rather outdated. Before cell phone cameras, YouTube, social media, etc. people didn’t really see how dirty the average LEO was on a daily basis like you can now with even just a modicum of research.

The 80s were just a totally different time, man.

P.S. Hail Satan... or something. ����*♂️
Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #48
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci View Post
Rotary phones. Payphones. The lack of *69 or Caller ID functions. I've clearly spent a lot of time being amused by phones...
What's so funny or out of place about a rotary phone?! I've got two hooked up...
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #49
Jon
Forum Regular

Quote:
What's so funny or out of place about a rotary phone?! I've got two hooked up...
That must really be challenging because those messages that said "if you only have a rotary phone, stay on the line for assistance" went away about 20 years ago.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #50
bell83
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
That must really be challenging because those messages that said "if you only have a rotary phone, stay on the line for assistance" went away about 20 years ago.
That's why I have a touch tone upstairs
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #51
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

Home phones in general are outdated af. I don’t think I’ve had a landline since 2006ish.
Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #52
WishfulDreamer

Realizing that Robert Stack would be over 100 today.

Pretty much all pets mentioned in the series' run are long gone.

Great Depression/WWII eyewitnesses being interviewed (I realize we still have them, but they're very elderly now). Those old enough to remember WWI (such as the little sister in the Walter Curly Green segment), are more stunning to realize.

Realizing how many of these crimes might have been solved with modern day technology. Example: Angela Hammond would never have been using a payphone in the first place, but even in an abduction, her cell phone likely would have pinged and helped her be found. Pictures of license plates could have been taken whenever someone was suspicious of someone else. Police could have been called in the middle of nowhere.

I think I mentioned this a little farther back, but the Ogopogo segment has a map shown onscreen which mentions the USSR.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:57 PM   #53
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

Quote:
I think one of the weirdest things I've noticed is how old everyone looks. What I mean by this is...say they show someone in their early twenties...but she looks older than I am. Or people in their mid-thirties (my age) who look like they're in their fifties. I'm not certain, beyond hair styles and clothing, what exactly it is that causes me to not be able to properly judge the ages of these people...but it occurs in almost every segment lol
So true! Another example of this is the Chuck Morgan segment. There's a photo of Chuck and he looks like he's in his late 50s at least...then you find out he was only 39?!

People today absolutely look "younger for their age" than they did in UM's heyday. I think it's due to less smoking, less harsh hair/makeup looks, and people having children later in life (thus retaining their youthful vitality a little longer lol).
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #54
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRaaa View Post
So true! Another example of this is the Chuck Morgan segment. There's a photo of Chuck and he looks like he's in his late 50s at least...then you find out he was only 39?!

People today absolutely look "younger for their age" than they did in UM's heyday. I think it's due to less smoking, less harsh hair/makeup looks, and people having children later in life (thus retaining their youthful vitality a little longer lol).
I hate to keep harping on Mary Ann Perez but...she was 33 when she vanished....

She already had a teenager daughter watching after the younger kids the night she disappeared. Doing the math, she must have gotten married in high school.
dynoguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #55
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

All the segments related to the Vietnam War. When the show premiered in the eighties, Vietnam was still a raw wound in this country, and it shows in the narration/tones of voice used by guests. Vietnam is still a painful part of our history, but the passage of time has helped heal some of the pain and anger associated. When talking about it now, people are able to discuss it as history and less as a traumatic wound.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #56
bell83
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow View Post
All the segments related to the Vietnam War. When the show premiered in the eighties, Vietnam was still a raw wound in this country, and it shows in the narration/tones of voice used by guests. Vietnam is still a painful part of our history, but the passage of time has helped heal some of the pain and anger associated. When talking about it now, people are able to discuss it as history and less as a traumatic wound.

Also...those Vietnam vets are the same age as the WW2 vets were, at the time...which is such a mindf*** for me...
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #57
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Typewriters.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:13 AM   #58
GDAWG
Frequent Poster

The Bonnie Haim Story. They interviewed the lead detective back then and Michael's Aunt. Both were recently interviewed on Dateline. Michael's aunt no longer has the big glasses or the 80's hair. The Detective no longer had the 80's hair.
GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:35 AM   #59
jbjr56
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFit29 View Post
Typewriters.
Yes and those word processors with floppy discs.
VHS and VCRS. No more blockbuster or Movie Gallery.
jbjr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #60
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjr56 View Post
VHS and VCRS. No more blockbuster or Movie Gallery.
I kind of have a tendency to live in the past. I was using a VCR as late as 2014. Once in a while I taped a program but they were mostly for taping football games. I can still remember walking up to the counter once at Rite Aid to buy a couple blank VHS tapes. The cashier looked at the tapes as if he were looking at a dinosaur fossil and even said, "I can't believe we're still selling these."

I finally joined the rest of the world and currently watch shows on Demand now. But I'll always have happy memories as a kid going to Blockbuster. Those were fun times.
dynoguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote