Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All in the Family (Sitcoms Online) / All in the Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / All in the Family Photo Gallery

All in the Family - The Complete First Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete First Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Second Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Second Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Third Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Third Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Series

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > All in the Family

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-18-2018, 03:01 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question Do you think Mike Stivic would be a liberal today?

Would he have kept his progressive values or would he have turned conservative in his older years?
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

The idealism of youth wears away somewhat as many people age--with him, he probably would have adopted every new progressive idea that came along, just as his portrayer does.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
QTMcWhiskers
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
The idealism of youth wears away somewhat as many people age--with him, he probably would have adopted every new progressive idea that came along, just as his portrayer does.
Very true., It changes somewhat for some, completely for others, none for others still. Rob Reiner in real life - has he changed or is he wanting people to remember his most noted TV persona?

And some issues aren't always based on party lines, and some issues are agreed upon by both parties - the means to the end are what are differed upon.
QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
TheLittleFaerie
Frequent Poster

The older I get the more liberal I get, I used to be moderate but am flat out liberal now.

But Mike was not as liberal as he let on to be, some of his conservative views came out, esp. about the role of men and women.
TheLittleFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:51 AM   #5
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleFaerie View Post
The older I get the more liberal I get, I used to be moderate but am flat out liberal now.

But Mike was not as liberal as he let on to be, some of his conservative views came out, esp. about the role of men and women.
Usually the opposite happens. People usually get more conservative as they age. Many, if not most, of those 1960s flower children are conservative today!
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
cfr1970
Forum Regular

Mike would be the oldest member of Antifa.
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsHeydayfan View Post
Usually the opposite happens. People usually get more conservative as they age.
That’s been my personal experience. I mean as a teenager and young man in the 70’s, I was a rabid liberal. Now, if I had to put a label on myself, I’d ID as a moderate Democrat. Liberal on social issues, in the middle on economic matters, and conservative on the military.

So my short to the question would be NO.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
cfr1970
Forum Regular

Quote:
Usually the opposite happens. People usually get more conservative as they age. Many, if not most, of those 1960s flower children are conservative today!
It's true that the majority of us grow more conservative as we age, but there are exceptions. I've seen Rob Reiner's tweets pop up in the news now and then and they are far left liberal, unhinged rants mainly against our president and filled with F words all over the place.

The man is 71 now and sounds exactly like Mike Stivic did in his 20's (only with foul language) which leads me to believe he was pretty much a carbon copy of the character's values and beliefs back when he did the show. When he mouthed off his liberal commie pinko propaganda to Archie, I don't think he was acting.

So I think it's reasonable to assume that Meathead would be just like Reiner is today. Still ranting and raving his liberal ideals as a senior citizen.

After all, this was a character that mooched off his wife's family for years in order to get his Master's degree and then once he was established in his career, abandoned his wife and child to join a hippie commune with one of his students.

He probably still lives there 40 years later!

Edited to add: I just looked at his Wikipedia page and discovered Reiner is a self proclaimed Atheist just like Meathead was. My God, you have to wonder where the character ended and the actor began. They really are one and the same.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Alan Brady's Hair

I don't think you'd find many professors, especially in the social sciences, who were liberals 40 years ago and conservative today.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
caladon

About 5 years ago on a different another thread, I posted how I viewed the character of Mike Stivic:

I realize that Mike was supposed to offer the other side of Archie's opinions. However, over the years Mike proved himself to be quite the hypocrite. He took part in peace marches and was quick to violently defend Gloria on the subway. He was always quick to use his education to put Archie down; a very disrespectful act. He shouted his views while being critical of Archie for having opposing views. I think the best episode that brought his shortcomings to light was the episode where he, Gloria, Edith, Lionel, Irene and Frank were playing a board game, and he couldn't handle the fact that others didn't see him as the perfect person he thought he was. It took Edith to show him how things really were.

Mike would've been better off had he given Archie the same consideration and understanding he seem to demand that Archie should give others. Archie was who he was; a product of his environment, era and upbringing, and when the world began to change, he found it difficult to change with it. As the years went on, Archie's character did actually grow from time to time. Mike on the other hand seem to become what he used to enjoy mocking. He became a head of a household with all its responsibilities and as it turned out, couldn't handle it as well as Archie did.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
cfr1970
Forum Regular

Gloria on the other hand is a different story. I think she would have grown more conservative as she aged from the many arguments she had with Meathead calling out his hypocrisy as well as the episode when she was before the judge when Archie was in court for using tear gas on a mugger.

She pointed out to the judge the hypocrisy of a system that lets a criminal go free while prosecuting the victim for defending himself. So I think as she aged, she would have became more conservative or at least more middle of the road today over far left liberal.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
cfr1970
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon View Post
About 5 years ago on a different another thread, I posted how I viewed the character of Mike Stivic:

I realize that Mike was supposed to offer the other side of Archie's opinions. However, over the years Mike proved himself to be quite the hypocrite. He took part in peace marches and was quick to violently defend Gloria on the subway. He was always quick to use his education to put Archie down; a very disrespectful act. He shouted his views while being critical of Archie for having opposing views. I think the best episode that brought his shortcomings to light was the episode where he, Gloria, Edith, Lionel, Irene and Frank were playing a board game, and he couldn't handle the fact that others didn't see him as the perfect person he thought he was. It took Edith to show him how things really were.

Mike would've been better off had he given Archie the same consideration and understanding he seem to demand that Archie should give others. Archie was who he was; a product of his environment, era and upbringing, and when the world began to change, he found it difficult to change with it. As the years went on, Archie's character did actually grow from time to time. Mike on the other hand seem to become what he used to enjoy mocking. He became a head of a household with all its responsibilities and as it turned out, couldn't handle it as well as Archie did.
That board game episode is one of my all time favorites simply because it reveals Mike's total arrogance, self importance and hypocrisy. I never get tired of watching that one.

Also, I was recently watching the episode where Archie and Edith had to stay over at Mike's house for a couple of days when their furnace breaks. Mike couldn't even handle TWO days having Archie as his house guest and bitched, whined and moaned to Gloria how he didn't want him in his house and wanted him out after only 1 day.

After 5 years living under Archie's roof, raiding his fridge, and living rent free, he was perfectly fine with being under the same roof with him, but when the roles are reversed and Archie needs to be the guest, Mike can't even last 2 days!

This over everything imo shows what a hypocritical sniveling little child Mike was. After all Archie did for him, to not even want to host him in his house for a couple of days was pathetic.

The more I watch the show, the more I can't stand the character...which is exactly why the board game episode is one of my favorites because it temporarily puts him in his place.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #13
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair View Post
I don't think you'd find many professors, especially in the social sciences, who were liberals 40 years ago and conservative today.
Professors are an exception because they're surrounded by liberal LUNACY all day long! Thankfully professors are less than .01% of the population!
Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 PM   #14
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts! View Post
That’s been my personal experience. I mean as a teenager and young man in the 70’s, I was a rabid liberal. Now, if I had to put a label on myself, I’d ID as a moderate Democrat. Liberal on social issues, in the middle on economic matters, and conservative on the military.

So my short to the question would be NO.
What's your position on immigration?

That's one area where Democrats have LOST their minds in recent years! Both Jimmy Carter & Bill Clinton spoke out AGAINST illegal immigration(1996 SOTU speech) & even Obama did to some extent!

But now the Democrats are basically TRAITORS because the Constitution says the President is supposed to uphold & enforce the LAWS of the land(including immigration laws!!) yet now many Democrats are actively ENCOURAGING illegals to ILLEGALLY cross the border! For over 200 years Democrats would've NEVER done this because both conservatives and liberals agreed on securing our border and stopping illegal aliens until the Democrats went EXTREME far left a few years ago!!
Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
What's your position on immigration?

That's one area where Democrats have LOST their minds in recent years! Both Jimmy Carter & Bill Clinton spoke out AGAINST illegal immigration(1996 SOTU speech) & even Obama did to some extent!

But now the Democrats are basically TRAITORS because the Constitution says the President is supposed to uphold & enforce the LAWS of the land(including immigration laws!!) yet now many Democrats are actively ENCOURAGING illegals to ILLEGALLY cross the border! For over 200 years Democrats would've NEVER done this because both conservatives and liberals agreed on securing our border and stopping illegal aliens until the Democrats went EXTREME far left a few years ago!!
Well, this is a hard one because Conservatives voice concerns with much merit.

I’m sure there are MANY who cross, come here and cause nothing but trouble. BUT on the other hand, MANY risk their lives crossing because they want to make a better and HONEST life, gratefully take any job they can get, work hard and make something of themselves. I think you have to look at the circumstances each case.

If someone came here illegally, and has a history of making good contributions, I’d like to see them get on a fast track toward citizenship.
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote