Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #46
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I wonder if the 21-year old had left the group either right before or shortly after getting to Laureen's apartment, and that's why there is no mention of him in any of the articles.
Yes, I wouldn't discount the possibility that the female friend never even told the police about the 21-year old at the time, and may have only shared this information with her daughter years later.

Quote:
The phone calls from California are the biggest question marks in the case. The only plausible way I could see them being unrelated is just a bizarre coincidental billing error. I tend to think the calls did not come from Laureen, because if she was in trouble, you would think she would have called any other number than a hotline for sexual assistance for teenagers.
That's true, but I also have no idea why a person who murdered Laureen would be calling a teen sexual assistance hotline in California either.

Quote:
I believe there was another reddit thread where someone said they searched and found a Denise Dunault in NH which was the same age as how old the missing Denise would be today. They posited that maybe Denise ran away on her own free will, and then years later was found to be ok, so that could be the reasoning behind a total lack of anything regarding her disappearance on the internet.
Ah, never thought about that. It certainly is possible. And I've personally never believed that Laureen's case and the disappearance of that other girl, Rachael Garden, were related at all since she was seen in the presence of three suspects who were likely responsible for her murder right before she went missing.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #47
Steve W.
Forum Regular

This is very generous of you to provide these podcasts, Robin! Would you accept requests on missing persons cases, even if they were never featured on UM?
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #48
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
This is very generous of you to provide these podcasts, Robin! Would you accept requests on missing persons cases, even if they were never featured on UM?
Absolutely! The Laureen Rahn episode I just did was actually requested by a poster here.

So feel free to make a request, but keep in mind that I've currently got quite a backlog of requests already.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #49
Steve W.
Forum Regular

I see the missing persons case I was going to request was already requested in this thread: 12 year-old Jonelle Matthews (missing from Greeley, Colorado since December of 1984)

She came home from a Christmas choir thing while the rest of her family was at her sister's basketball game (her mom was out of town, apparently) and its stated that the garage door was inexplicably open when she was dropped off. Then it's been theorized that the perpetrator was hiding in the house waiting to attack her while she went down into her basement to watch TV. It was snowing and police found unknown footprints going from the garage to the backyard.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #50
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

i told you i listened to two of the podcasts but u never said anything? and i liked your facebook page
Old 05-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #51
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyhymesisalive
i told you i listened to two of the podcasts but u never said anything? and i liked your facebook page
Ah sorry, I think I missed your post earlier in the thread. Thanks for listening and liking the page . I've got a new episode about a rather underrated UM case scheduled for next Wednesday.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #52
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Ah sorry, I think I missed your post earlier in the thread. Thanks for listening and liking the page . I've got a new episode about a rather underrated UM case scheduled for next Wednesday.
Judy Smith??
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #53
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
I see the missing persons case I was going to request was already requested in this thread: 12 year-old Jonelle Matthews (missing from Greeley, Colorado since December of 1984)

She came home from a Christmas choir thing while the rest of her family was at her sister's basketball game (her mom was out of town, apparently) and its stated that the garage door was inexplicably open when she was dropped off. Then it's been theorized that the perpetrator was hiding in the house waiting to attack her while she went down into her basement to watch TV. It was snowing and police found unknown footprints going from the garage to the backyard.
Ah yes, I hadn't heard of this case until it was requested earlier in this thread. It seems to be in demand, so I'll have to add it to my request list. Curiously, it looks like this case is also featured on the UM Wikia even though it was never on the show:
http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/w...nelle_Matthews
Old 05-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #54
RobinW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Judy Smith??
Old 05-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #55
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

I love listening to it and i love your Canadian accent lol.
Judyhymesisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #56
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
I just listened to the David Cox and Rhonda Hinson episodes. Both are such mysterious deaths.

Overall, I definitely agree with your theory about Rhonda. I think that she *may* have been fooling around with a married man, but I don't think that's what got her killed. I agree that she was killed by a random stranger and that person got off an accidental "one in a million" shot. The pure chance of someone actually AIMING for her and hitting her in the way they did are literally so close to zero I don't even think it's possible.

Agreed. I see one of two scenarios:

1) Random stranger shoots at her from the overpass which is at an elevated angle behind her (Google maps gives a good overview of the area). As someone who has a lot of experience with rifle shooting, I do not think it would be hard to hit her car from that angle, but I do think hitting HER would be extremely lucky. The car that was seen in the area (parked under the overpass) was probably the car of the shooter(s) looking for a random victim.

I see it playing out like this: A couple of male teenagers were drinking and/or doing drugs. Billy tells Johnny, "Hey, I got my hunting rifle in the back seat, let's go scare some motorists." So Billy and Johnny, being from the area, know just the spot to take sniper shots at cars. The overpass they chose is the perfect place -- it's secluded, dark, and provides excellent view of cars traveling parallel to their line of sight. So Billy takes out his rifle and shoots at the first car they see. As Rhonda's car collides into a ditch, they both look at each other and say "Oh sh**t." I believe it was these young men (or maybe just one guy) that were spotted parked beside her trying to take a look in hopes they didn't kill her. After they noticed she was bleeding all over the place, they panicked and have kept their mouths shut since.

Such crimes are not unheard of and happen still today. Just recently there have been the Colorado highway shootings that have made national news. Therefore, we know such shootings into random cars does have precedence and antecedence.

2) The second scenario I see is someone else in the neighborhood (with no malicious intent) fired a rifle randomly and just happened to hit her. They discovered later they had accidentally killed someone and instead of coming forward, decided that no one would believe it was an accident. However, from my Google Maps viewing of the area, I don't see any houses with the correct line of sight for this shot to have hit her, but that doesn't mean someone wasn't in a wooded area several hundred yards behind her (perhaps spotlight hunting) and just accidentally hit her. Rifle bullets can travel a LONG ways.

Bottom line: I don't believe she was targeted by a married man or anyone she knew. I've read up on this case (beyond UM) and the police have exhausted the married man angle and have no evidence whatsoever that he existed. I also believe her boyfriend at the time has a rock solid alibi. The Police today (some of whom were barely born when this happened) believe it was a random shooting based on all the case files they have read and modern interviews they have conducted.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #57
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

I'm listening to the Laureen Rahn one now
Old 05-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #58
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
The overpass they chose is the perfect place -- it's secluded,
Unless a person lives in the area, it's impossible to say if it's secluded or not. I would imagine just about any overpass, entrance/exit ramp is going to have a decent amount of activity, even at night.

Quote:
So Billy takes out his rifle and shoots at the first car they see.
The problem with theory is that they didn't shoot at the first car they saw. A witness came forward and saw them beforehand. In an earlier post of mine, I state it was possible they were there for up to 45 minutes or so before firing at Rhonda.

Quote:
Such crimes are not unheard of and happen still today. Just recently there have been the Colorado highway shootings that have made national news. Therefore, we know such shootings into random cars does have precedence and antecedence.
There have been some in my area too. They're not entirely comparable though. I believe almost all of the sniper-type shootings that I'm aware of happened during the day, not the night. It's also a different time and a different place. I'm also of the belief that if this was some sniper or random psycho, they would have kept on doing it until they were caught. Like the Beltway sniper, the one in my area, the one in Arizona, etc.

Quote:
2) The second scenario I see is someone else in the neighborhood (with no malicious intent) fired a rifle randomly and just happened to hit her. They discovered later they had accidentally killed someone and instead of coming forward, decided that no one would believe it was an accident. However, from my Google Maps viewing of the area, I don't see any houses with the correct line of sight for this shot to have hit her, but that doesn't mean someone wasn't in a wooded area several hundred yards behind her (perhaps spotlight hunting) and just accidentally hit her. Rifle bullets can travel a LONG ways.
about a trillion to one shot.

Quote:
Bottom line: I don't believe she was targeted by a married man or anyone she knew. I've read up on this case (beyond UM) and the police have exhausted the married man angle and have no evidence whatsoever that he existed. I also believe her boyfriend at the time has a rock solid alibi. The Police today (some of whom were barely born when this happened) believe it was a random shooting based on all the case files they have read and modern interviews they have conducted.
Do you have any proof of this?
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #59
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

Can you do one on Maura Murray?
Old 05-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #60
bigsir58
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyhymesisalive
Can you do one on Maura Murray?

I think Don Henry and Kevin Ives deserves some light shed on them again. I would love to hear a podcast on them.
bigsir58 is offline   Reply With Quote