Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #31
WishfulDreamer

Great job on the Laureen Rahn podcast. This is indeed an extremely frustrating case.

I think that the female friend is telling the truth about not knowing what happened. I don't think she would have slept in the bed and stayed in the apartment. If the male friend is telling the truth, I think someone knocked on the back door (and she thought it was the male friend) and someone grabbed her, hence why the back door was wide open. I think the female friend, being asleep/drowsy from being under the influence, just slept right through it. OR perhaps the perpetrator knocked on the front door (using the darkness from the lack of light bulbs to avoid being seen), she opened it, and he forced her out the back door.

I think the back door being wide open is key here. She either stepped out to talk to someone and was pulled away or was dragged out the door.

I find it interesting that an apartment on the third floor has a back door, but I'm assuming it led to an additional hallway. I wonder if this rear hallway had the light bulbs removed, too?

On a side note, I'd love for you to do the case of Jonelle Matthews. This one is creepy as hell. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...s_jonelle.html
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #32
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
As for who this person is, I think the boyfriend's father: the minister/hunter who was mentioned in some older posts on this forum, is a viable suspect and everything would seemingly tie together with him being responsible. The boyfriend doesn't want her to go out that night, perhaps knowing or sensing what was in store for her. He's devoted to or scared enough of his father that he doesn't tell (or worried about what it would do to his reputation, accusing an "upstanding" citizen of something so heinous). He would know what time the party ended.
Iíve heard the rumour about the boyfriendís father, but I still have the same issue about two distinct vehicles being placed at the murder scene. Did the father have access to a blue Chevy or dark Trans Am? It would be too much of a coincidence if someone so closely associated with Rhonda owned either of those vehicles and I donít know how he wouldnít be tied to the murder unless he somehow managed to get rid of the vehicle immediately after the crime took place.

That said, articles about this case said that Rhonda had originally planned on spending the night at a friendís place instead of going home, but changed her mind at the last minute and phoned her boyfriend before she left. So this means that the boyfriend would have been one of the only people who knew Rhonda was coming home that night. However, a witness did see the blue Chevy at the scene sometime between 12:15-12:30 and Iím not sure if this was before or after the phone call was made. And if one of the men seen in the vehicle was the boyfriendís father, who was the second man? Given the timeline, I donít think the second guy could have been the boyfriend.

I also understand the logic of the unidentified male checking Rhondaís body in the front seat to make sure she was dead, but I still donít know heíd go to the trouble of dragging her body to the side of the road unless he was trying to revive her or something. I still think that anyone who committed premeditated murder would have ducked for cover when the witness passed by Rhondaís vehicle rather than stand out in the open like that.
RobinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #33
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I also understand the logic of the unidentified male checking Rhondaís body in the front seat to make sure she was dead, but I still donít know heíd go to the trouble of dragging her body to the side of the road unless he was trying to revive her or something.
I had thought about that. I think her body might have collapsed in his arms, and he didn't have much choice but to drag it outside. Dead people don't move, so this would make sense.

Quote:
I still think that anyone who committed premeditated murder would have ducked for cover when the witness passed by Rhondaís vehicle rather than stand out in the open like that.
I think it's possible the person who arranged the murder was someone local, but the person he hired was not from the area. Perhaps this person didn't worry too much about being recognized if he was from out-of-state, or what have you. Although he probably didn't count on a show called Unsolved Mysteries airing a case about it one day.

I did notice the trucker said he didn't get a good look at him, so it's possible he was keeping his head down.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #34
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

Run by me again the Lauren Rahm case... dont know that one
Old 05-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #35
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
Great job on the Laureen Rahn podcast. This is indeed an extremely frustrating case.

I think that the female friend is telling the truth about not knowing what happened. I don't think she would have slept in the bed and stayed in the apartment. If the male friend is telling the truth, I think someone knocked on the back door (and she thought it was the male friend) and someone grabbed her, hence why the back door was wide open. I think the female friend, being asleep/drowsy from being under the influence, just slept right through it. OR perhaps the perpetrator knocked on the front door (using the darkness from the lack of light bulbs to avoid being seen), she opened it, and he forced her out the back door.

I think the back door being wide open is key here. She either stepped out to talk to someone and was pulled away or was dragged out the door.

I find it interesting that an apartment on the third floor has a back door, but I'm assuming it led to an additional hallway. I wonder if this rear hallway had the light bulbs removed, too?
Thanks for listening. That's a pretty good theory about how a potential abduction might have gone down. I do agree that it's unlikely the female friend would have spent the night if she knew something bad had happened and I think an abduction of Laureen at the rear door is the most likely scenario for how it could have gone down without anybody seeing anything.

Of course, this whole scenario still doesn't explain why someone would have unscrewed the light bulbs on all three floors .

Quote:
On a side note, I'd love for you to do the case of Jonelle Matthews. This one is creepy as hell. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...s_jonelle.html
Wow, hadn't heard of this case before. That's a pretty one. I'll have to add it to my list of potential episodes.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #36
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyhymesisalive
Run by me again the Lauren Rahm case... dont know that one
It was never featured on UM, but when you read this creepy synopsis, you'll probably agree that it should have been:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/rahn_laureen.html
Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #37
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Request for future podcast: Rebecca Coriam. She disappeared while a cast member on Disney Cruise Lines back in 2011.

It's such a strange case... Not sure if it's up your alley since it got some publicity, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I love everything Disney and hate to think they're hiding something. But I believe they're hiding something.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #38
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Request for future podcast: Rebecca Coriam. She disappeared while a cast member on Disney Cruise Lines back in 2011.

It's such a strange case... Not sure if it's up your alley since it got some publicity, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I love everything Disney and hate to think they're hiding something. But I believe they're hiding something.
Interesting. I'd heard of this case, but thought it was a case of her falling overboard of committing suicide, but there's a lot of hinky stuff here. I'll have to keep this one in my back pocket.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #39
bigsir58
Frequent Poster

Quote:

The backdoor on the third floor could have led to an outside staircase as well. Does anyone know what kind of apartment building it was? Such as in a complex, or a single building in a residential area, etc.?
bigsir58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #40
dynoguy88

Quote:

I'm trying to wrap my head around what would lead an abductor to even try such a thing in this situation. First of all, the chances that a 14 year old girl could develop an enemy that hated her so bad he wanted to abduct and kill her are extremely slim.

The chances of a stranger sicko picking someone to abduct at random also seems out there. Trying to abduct a screaming teenager from an apartment complex seems so much more risky than if she were at a house. Keep in mind, these types of areas in the 70's and early 80's would be the type to keep their doors unlocked. Nobody locked their doors in East Millinocket before Joyce McLain was murdered. Likewise, the Connecticut River Valley Killer had parts of New Hampshire, Vermont all through the New England area where people didn't lock their doors. It was just a different time. If you wanted to abduct an unsupervised kid from a house in 1980, it would be so much easier than trying an apartment complex.

I'm wondering if Laureen might have been a little too drunk, wandered off from the apartment after her friend fell asleep and in her intoxicated state, hitched a ride for no apparent reason and got in a car with the wrong person. Hitchhiking was not considered very dangerous in 1980, even in a sober state of mind.
dynoguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #41
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
I'm trying to wrap my head around what would lead an abductor to even try such a thing in this situation. First of all, the chances that a 14 year old girl could develop an enemy that hated her so bad he wanted to abduct and kill her are extremely slim.

The chances of a stranger sicko picking someone to abduct at random also seems out there. Trying to abduct a screaming teenager from an apartment complex seems so much more risky than if she were at a house. Keep in mind, these types of areas in the 70's and early 80's would be the type to keep their doors unlocked. Nobody locked their doors in East Millinocket before Joyce McLain was murdered. Likewise, the Connecticut River Valley Killer had parts of New Hampshire, Vermont all through the New England area where people didn't lock their doors. It was just a different time. If you wanted to abduct an unsupervised kid from a house in 1980, it would be so much easier than trying an apartment complex.

I'm wondering if Laureen might have been a little too drunk, wandered off from the apartment after her friend fell asleep and in her intoxicated state, hitched a ride for no apparent reason and got in a car with the wrong person. Hitchhiking was not considered very dangerous in 1980, even in a sober state of mind.
As I stated on the podcast, I was frustrated by the contradictory information on the Charley Project profile, which states Laureen's clothing was left behind on the floor yet also provides a full description of specific clothing Laureen was in the living room. If she was dressed in something like pajamas or a nightgown, then the chances of her living the apartment on her own are slim (unless she was really drunk), which is why a back door abduction seems more likely.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #42
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88

Good points. I think if she was abducted from the apartment/lured, it was by someone who knew her and knew she would be left home alone. She was a good student and didn't seem to associate with a bad crowd (as far as we know). So I wonder who could have known this.

Wandering away is a possibility, but she did have the foresight to lock the door behind her male friend and I wonder if she would have done that knowing her mother was due to return home and the female friend did mention she saw Laureen sleeping on the couch. Of course, she and the female friend could have continued drinking after the male friend left. Alcohol does disturb the sleep cycle and she could have woken up/been pretty intoxicated.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #43
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

For anyone interested, I posted over on the reddit thread with my thoughts on the Laureen Rahn case.

Link
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #44
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
For anyone interested, I posted over on the reddit thread with my thoughts on the Laureen Rahn case.

Link
Excellent post. Admittedly, I did see that Reddit post from the person claiming to be the daughter of Laureenís female friend, but didnít mention it on the podcast, as Iím reluctant to discuss message board posts from people who share unsubstantiated information which isnít mentioned anywhere else, but donít provide any follow-up about their claims. Something about that doesnít add up. Itís pretty weird that are no other sources out there which mention a second 21-year old male being at the apartment that night because thatís a pretty a major detail which drastically changes the perspective on this case. If true, it would also make the cops look extra-bad for not properly investigating the 21-year old since providing alcohol to two underage 14-year old girls would be a misdemeanour offense in many states.

I still donít discount the possibility that someone could have abducted Laureen, taken her to California and somehow found a way (such as getting her hooked on drugs) to coerce her to stay there. However, my theory about using a PIN to charge those California calls to Judithís phone number is strictly guesswork. Iíve had at least one person tell me that it was possible during the 1970s to call the operator and ask them to bill the call to your number without using a PIN. So I guess itís not impossible an outsider could have made those calls using Judithís number. But while the silent phone calls to Laureenís family in the middle of the night sound like something the killer would do, using her motherís number to call a sexual assistance hotline from a state on the other side of the country is just plain bizarre.

I really wish I could find out any information about Denise Dunault, the girl who lived two blocks away from Laureen and vanished six weeks later. If there are any specific similarities between the two cases, that makes it more likely there was a random predator in the area.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #45
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Excellent post. Admittedly, I did see that Reddit post from the person claiming to be the daughter of Laureenís female friend, but didnít mention it on the podcast, as Iím reluctant to discuss message board posts from people who share unsubstantiated information which isnít mentioned anywhere else, but donít provide any follow-up about their claims. Something about that doesnít add up. Itís pretty weird that are no other sources out there which mention a second 21-year old male being at the apartment that night because thatís a pretty a major detail which drastically changes the perspective on this case. If true, it would also make the cops look extra-bad for not properly investigating the 21-year old since providing alcohol to two underage 14-year old girls would be a misdemeanour offense in many states.
I wonder if the 21-year old had left the group either right before or shortly after getting to Laureen's apartment, and that's why there is no mention of him in any of the articles.

Quote:
I still donít discount the possibility that someone could have abducted Laureen, taken her to California and somehow found a way (such as getting her hooked on drugs) to coerce her to stay there. However, my theory about using a PIN to charge those California calls to Judithís phone number is strictly guesswork. Iíve had at least one person tell me that it was possible during the 1970s to call the operator and ask them to bill the call to your number without using a PIN. So I guess itís not impossible an outsider could have made those calls using Judithís number. But while the silent phone calls to Laureenís family in the middle of the night sound like something the killer would do, using her motherís number to call a sexual assistance hotline from a state on the other side of the country is just plain bizarre.
The phone calls from California are the biggest question marks in the case. The only plausible way I could see them being unrelated is just a bizarre coincidental billing error. I tend to think the calls did not come from Laureen, because if she was in trouble, you would think she would have called any other number than a hotline for sexual assistance for teenagers.

Quote:
I really wish I could find out any information about Denise Dunault, the girl who lived two blocks away from Laureen and vanished six weeks later. If there are any specific similarities between the two cases, that makes it more likely there was a random predator in the area.
I believe there was another reddit thread where someone said they searched and found a Denise Dunault in NH which was the same age as how old the missing Denise would be today. They posited that maybe Denise ran away on her own free will, and then years later was found to be ok, so that could be the reasoning behind a total lack of anything regarding her disappearance on the internet.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote