Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
In regards to Rhonda Hinson: I always believed that the married man she was seeing was one of the company higher-ups. Probably a President or manager, possibly even her own supervisor. This person would not have wanted the affair to be exposed as not only would it threaten his marriage, but also his future with the company considering there would be a conflict of interest there. I think he wanted her out of the picture.

I believe both of the cars spotted that night were higher-end cars, at least the Trans-Am was. Probably something a....president of a company or successful businessman would drive.

What I'm getting at is, while it's not impossible that there could have been some psycho shooting at random cars, I would think this person would be driving a car in the medium to lower price range. I really can't envision a person driving a Trans Am shooting at cars.

How many cases have you heard of people riding in limos, or driving BMW's, Mercedes-Benz shooting at cars? None that I know of.

Ergo, this was not some local yokel driving an old, beat-up pick up truck.
That's a valid point, but I still have my doubts that anyone associated with Rhonda drove a Trans Am. This was a relatively small, likely blue collar, community, so there couldn't have been that many Trans Ams around. If anyone from Rhonda's company (or a married man she could have conceivably be having an affair with) drove a Trans Am, then that's a huge red flag and they would have certainly gone right to the top of the suspect list.

And there's also the possibility that the driver of the Trans Am was just a random motorist who pulled over to check on Rhonda and had nothing to do with the crime, and the real perpetrators were the occupants of the Trans Am.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #17
bigsir58
Frequent Poster

I am enjoying your podcasts so much! I'm excited for each one to come out. I'm still pushing for one on Don Kemp, and the interesting posts his sister left on this board!
bigsir58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #18
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Yeah, I was actually going to throw a plug in for Don Kemp as well. What a strange story....

My homegirl Patricia Meehan could use some love, too. Just saying.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #19
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
My homegirl Patricia Meehan could use some love, too. Just saying.
I'd like to hear one about her as well.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #20
RobinW

Wow, I'm actually quite surprised at the number of people who've requested I cover the Don Kemp case (not just on this board, I actually had someone FB message me about it last night). I always thought the general consensus was that he suffered a mental breakdown, wandered off and died of exposure, but I guess the phone calls and the posts here from his sister add enough interesting wrinkles to the story.

But considering that this was the very first UM case, I should do an episode on it. My next two episodes are already mapped out, but I think I will tentatively schedule a Don Kemp one for early June.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

I listened to the Terrence Williams one and the Rhonda Hinson one, very interesting to listen to. I really like the way you do the podcast.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:23 AM   #22
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
And there's also the possibility that the driver of the Trans Am was just a random motorist who pulled over to check on Rhonda and had nothing to do with the crime, and the real perpetrators were the occupants of the Trans Am.
Possible, but I doubt it. One witness said they saw the blue Chevy under the underpass with 2 white males in it. The other witness (who was hypnotized) said he saw the blue Chevy speeding away with one white male in it, and another near Rhonda, with the Trans Am being parked down the road.

Therefore, if the second white male wasn't in the blue Chevy, then were was he? He was most likely the driver of the Trans Am.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #23
dynoguy88

Why would a random innocent motorist pull to the side of the road at 1:00 in the morning to check on the status of Rhonda but NOT notify the police?

I'm thinking whoever that person was shot her purposely or shot her accidentally. Either way, he did not want the police to know he was there.

But I still can't come up with any explanation as to why that man made no effort to hide once the trucker drove past. It's the countryside. There was no street lights. He could have dove in the grass and the trucker wouldn't have seen him.
dynoguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 AM   #24
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
But I still can't come up with any explanation as to why that man made no effort to hide once the trucker drove past. It's the countryside. There was no street lights. He could have dove in the grass and the trucker wouldn't have seen him.
That's a good question. I think it's because he was hoping that the trucker would assume nothing was seriously wrong, drive on past and not pay much attention (which is what he essentially did). By acting suspicious, he would almost certainly cause the trucker to stop and assess the situation more closely, at which point he would realize a serious crime had occurred, and also possibly get a better look at him and his car.

There's also the issue that, while cell/car phones were unheard of back then, the trucker may have had a CB radio that he could have used to quickly relay a description, incident or license plate number.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #25
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Why would a random innocent motorist pull to the side of the road at 1:00 in the morning to check on the status of Rhonda but NOT notify the police?

I'm thinking whoever that person was shot her purposely or shot her accidentally. Either way, he did not want the police to know he was there.

The ONLY reason I could see some random innocent motorist not calling the police is if he had his own unrelated personal reasons not to be involved. For instance, if he happened to be driving drunk that night, he would be hesitant to be in contact with the police, even though he had nothing to do with Rhonda's death.

I wonder if the man in the blue Chevy who sped off was the one who did the actual shooting while the guy in the Trans Am was with him, but did not expect any shooting to occur and took no active part in Rhonda's death. He probably was legitimately concerned for Rhonda and attempted to save her life, but opted not to go to the police and turn in his accomplice.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #26
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

Well i still to this day find it really hard to comprehend that a bullet went through the trunk, through the seat into Rhonda. I know they said it was a high powered rifle, but still.
Judyhymesisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #27
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Listening to the Felipe Santos and Terrance Williams podcast:

LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Listening to the Felipe Santos and Terrance Williams podcast:

Now I'm kicking myself for not using a sound byte from that scene on the podcast!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #29
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

I'm literally cracking up here! I forgot that was in the movie HAHAHA
Judyhymesisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #30
wiseguy182

I'm going to bring up a lot of things that haven't been discussed before:

A lot of people have suggested that this was a hunting accident and that a stray bullet caused Rhonda's death. I'm not a hunter, but I'm relatively certain there's not a whole lot of hunting going on at night right next to the interstate. The only type of hunting I know goes on at night is "spolighting" so even if the scenario is true, the person didn't have the best of intentions that night to begin with.

An argument could be made that Rhonda asking her mother if it was o.k. to go with a married man doesn't necessarily tie in to this case. But her asking her father to accompany her for trips into town, that is...just not normal. At that age, teenagers value their independence and ability to have their own car, go where they want, do what they want, when they want. Under normal circumstances, a 19 year old is not going to ask their father to accompany them on mundane, routine trips to run errands (and wait for him when he is available). When you tie all of this together with the other things (the middle-of-the-night showers, that something appeared to be bothering her), I strongly feel she was legitimately afraid for her life, and a death by random act of violence would have to be a remarkable coincidence.

The issue of the timing and location also nags at me. There was a short distance between the location where Rhonda turned off the interstate onto Mineral Springs Rd, and the location of her destination (her house). I believe it was about a mile. For her to encounter a random act of violence in this narrow timeframe just seems too great of odds.

There's also the issue of the fact she was shot almost immediately after turning off the exit ramp. Rhonda's house is about a mile away. It definitely seems to me the shooter knew he had to shoot her then as if he misses, or only slightly injures her, he runs the risk that she can make it home and quickly identify the person, their car, etc.

I have always believed that the person seen by Rhonda's side that night was involved. I think this person was checking to make sure "the job was finished." Again, the shooter could not conclusively tell from his vantage point if Rhonda was dead, if he just injured her, or what. For him, going up to her was to ensure she was deceased. Because otherwise, the possibility would exist once again that Rhonda was just injured and could drive to her house nearby and call the police.

It's also important to mention the timing of this. Judy said it was unheard of for Rhonda to be out that late, and the Christmas party was largely the reason she was out that late. A person planning this attack almost certainly would not have gotten away with doing this during the daytime. The fact that this happened on the one night Rhonda stayed out late speaks to me this was preplanned. The killer knew he had to act on *this* night, because the opportunity might not have arose again, at least not in the then foreseeable future.

A killer planning on killing Rhonda with the shot that killed her is not as unlikely as it would seem. Rhonda had just turned off the interstate, so her car wasn't going that fast to begin with. If the psychic vision that she had stopped for someone and was in the process of getting away from this person is true, that reinforces my belief. The killer could have also theoretically planned on shooting her tires or something else that would disable the car, then finish her off.

Somebody planned on killing her that night. Case closed. This person deserves the strictest punishment provided by the law, and I'm uncomfortable with the constant suggestions of accident as that insinuates this person deserves a lighter sentence and was not planning on what happened. Someone killed her in what was cold-blooded murder. Period.

As for who this person is, I think the boyfriend's father: the minister/hunter who was mentioned in some older posts on this forum, is a viable suspect and everything would seemingly tie together with him being responsible. The boyfriend doesn't want her to go out that night, perhaps knowing or sensing what was in store for her. He's devoted to or scared enough of his father that he doesn't tell (or worried about what it would do to his reputation, accusing an "upstanding" citizen of something so heinous). He would know what time the party ended.