Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Punky Brewster links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Punky Brewster Photo Gallery

Punky Brewster - Season One

Buy Punky Brewster - Season One on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Two

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Two on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Three

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Three on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Four

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Four on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Punky Brewster

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy George Gaynes 1917-2016

Link

George Gaynes, who played a grouchy foster parent on the 1980s sitcom “Punky Brewster,” the beleaguered commandant in seven “Police Academy” films and a soap opera star with a crush on Dustin Hoffman in drag in the Hollywood hit “Tootsie,” died on Monday at his daughter’s home in North Bend, Wash. He was 98.

His death was confirmed by his daughter, Iya Gaynes Falcone Brown.

With his baritone voice, chiseled good looks and versatility as a character actor and singer, Mr. Gaynes appeared in hundreds of episodes of sitcoms and dramas on television, 35 Hollywood and made-for-TV films, and many plays, musical comedies and operas in New York and Europe.

Critics often applauded his work in supporting roles, and his face became familiar to millions of Americans. But he never achieved leading man stardom.

“Anyone who believes in happy endings will take consolation from the career of George Gaynes, about to become a television celebrity at the age of 64,” The New York Times reported (erroneously; he was 67 ) in 1984, shortly before NBC telecast the first episode of “Punky Brewster.” The show ran for four seasons, first on NBC and then in syndication.

Mr. Gaynes, in the television role for which he was probably best known, played a building manager, Henry Warnimont, who finds an abandoned little girl, played by Soleil Moon Frye, in an empty apartment and becomes first her foster parent and then her adoptive father. Their tender relationship was the heart of the show. There was a puppy, too.

“The two things an actor dreads most are children and dogs,” he told The Times in 1984. “I have both in this series.”

Mr. Gaynes got the part on the heels of two of his strongest film performances. In the first, in “Tootsie,” released in 1982, he was a misguided would-be paramour pursuing his leading lady (Mr. Hoffman), an unemployed actor who wins celebrity by masquerading as a woman on a daytime soap opera.

Then, in 1984, he was the commandant in charge of misfit recruits in the first “Police Academy” movie, which critics called crude and noisy — although some found it also hilarious — and which spawned six sequels, all of them with Mr. Gaynes in the cast.

Writing about Mr. Gaynes’s performance in “Tootsie,” Vincent Canby of The Times called him “priceless as the seedy but tirelessly lecherous leading man on the soap” and “so memorably funny in such memorably funny circumstances that I doubt he’ll much longer remain one of those actors whose looks are as familiar as his name, though one never puts the two together.”

Mr. Gaynes played a grouchy foster parent to Soleil Moon Frye in “Punky Brewster.” Credit NBC, via Photofest
“Tootsie” was a hit and received 10 Academy Award nominations, although only Jessica Lange won, for best supporting actress.

George Gaynes was born George Jongejans in Helsinki, Finland, on May 16, 1917, to Iya Grigorievna de Gay, a Russian artist later known as Lady Iya Abny, and Gerrit Jongejans, a Dutch businessman. His uncle was the actor Gregory Gaye, who played a Nazi Reichsbank official in “Casablanca.”

Raised in France, England and Switzerland, George was introduced to opera by his mother’s friend, the Russian basso Feodor Chaliapin. He studied in Milan and performed in Italy and France. But his career was interrupted by World War II. He crossed the Pyrenees and was interned in Spain for three months. After being released, he went to Britain and enlisted in the Royal Dutch Navy for the duration.

He landed in New York after the war, joined the New York City Opera and played Figaro, Leporello in “Don Giovanni” and assorted fathers, monks and ragpickers. He also appeared in Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. But he considered himself primarily an actor. “I was an acting opera singer, and that’s one of the reasons I left opera,” he said.

On Broadway, he appeared in Cole Porter’s “Out of This World” (1950) and was Rosalind Russell’s suitor in “Wonderful Town” (1953), a musical version of “My Sister Eileen” with music by Leonard Bernstein and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green.

That same year, he changed his surname to Gaynes and married Allyn Ann McLerie, an actress, who survives him. In addition to his wife and daughter, he is survived by one granddaughter and two great-granddaughters. His son, Matthew, died in a car crash in 1989.

Mr. Gaynes appeared in many television series in the 1960s and ’70s, including “The Defenders,” “Mission: Impossible,” “Bonanza,” “Mannix,” “Hogan’s Heroes,” “The Six Million Dollar Man” and “Hawaii Five-0.” He also acted in the daytime soap operas “General Hospital” and “Search for Tomorrow.” His films included “The Way We Were,” “Altered States” and “Wag the Dog.”

He retired in 2003 and lived in Santa Barbara, Calif., before moving to Washington to stay with his daughter’s family.

Mr. Gaynes was philosophical about his brush with movie stardom in the 1980s. “I’m too old, I’ve been at it too long, to be exhilarated,” he told The Times in 1984. “Of course I’m happy about it. My wife is happy, because we can travel more, and she can get a new couch cover. But knowing the vagaries of the entertainment business, I can’t take it too seriously.”
Old 02-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
HauntedThunderman94
Forum Regular

R.I.P George Gaynes
HauntedThunderman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 AM   #4
simmytbone

This is a tweet from Punky Brewster Herself Soliel Moon Frye

https://twitter.com/moonfrye

Quote:
The universe just gained a gigantic star. You will be in my heart and soul always & forever.
Your little Punky
RIP George Gaynes

Atlanta Falcons: RISE UP
simmytbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:01 AM   #5
Wildchats
Me
Forum Regular

Very sad news. He was practically one of the oldest actors who portrayed a grandfather/father figure on a 1980s sitcom. There are so few left now who were around his age or a little younger when Punky was on the air such as Betty White (now the oldest) Charlotte Rae, Cloris Leachman, James Noble, and a few others, but he was practically the oldest.

www.MarkSinacori.com
Check out my website!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3254521/?nmdp=1&
Check out my IMDB page!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My public facebook! Please like it!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My twitter page! Please follow me!

www.instagram.com/marksinacrori
My instagram page! Please follow me!
Wildchats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

R.I.P. George. Loved him in Punky Brewster.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
simmytbone

He also Guest Starred as a Judge on another popular NBC Series Matlock with the late Andy Griffith, in fact, George Gaynes has both outlived Andy Griffith (along with Betty White)
simmytbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
king of comedy

Loved him the Police Academy movies. R.I.P. George Gaynes
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
robby76
Forum Regular

Goodbye Henry! Sad times, but at age 98 he must've had a good long life.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Chocolate Moose

It's doesn't list Hearts Afire, which ran for 3 seasons in the early 90s.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Unhappy

George Gaynes

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #12
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmytbone
This is a tweet from Punky Brewster Herself Soliel Moon Frye

https://twitter.com/moonfrye
I wonder if the other living Punky Brewster actors: Cherie Johnson, T.K. Carter, Ami Foster, and Casey Ellison, have also spoken out on behalf of Mr. Gaynes' death.
glickmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 AM   #13
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose
It's doesn't list Hearts Afire, which ran for 3 seasons in the early 90s.
Probably because he was only on the show for the first season, after which he was removed due to meddling on the part of the CBS censors.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 AM   #14
mets82

CBS censors?? What did they have to say?

Btw, I never said RIP to George Gaynes. I remember him from Punky Brewster, Tootsie and as Commandant Lassard.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
CBS censors?? What did they have to say?
Among other things, they were unhappy that his and Beth Broderick's characters were having an affair even though Gaynes' character was a married man. They were also unhappy that the characters played by John Ritter and Markie Post were living together unmarried, especially so since Ritter's character had two young boys.

Last edited by glickmam; 08-20-2017 at 12:49 AM.