Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
jeff1990
Frequent Poster

Default Cobra (1986) Workprint

Hello all,

I'm looking for the workprint of the 1986 Sylvester Stallone film Cobra which is said to run 130 minutes.

Here are the deleted scenes:

Workprint is timecoded.

There are no opening credits and red color in the beggining, but opening montage is still shown.

Opening shootout is longer, lots of extra shots of customers are shown.

Extra dialogue scene between Cobra and Tony.

Extended dialogue scene between Cobra and Mexican low riders plus scene is edited differently, Cobra checks his mailbox, talks briefly to the old janitor and walks next to a woman walking her dog in the hall.

Scene where Nightslasher kills first victim has few extra shots of victim's dead body, and entire scene is not shown in slow motion like in DVD version. Slow motion was probably added later when scene was cut since music is same in both versions.

After the first murder, small Asian kid brings a box in some police station, and when one of the cops asks him who gave it to him, kid says that it was some men outside. Same cop tells the kid to get himself one of the toys from some other box on the other side of the room. While he is checking the box that kid brought, cop sees blood dripping under the box. Then Nightslasher calls and tells the cop "Her hands are with you, her soul is in another world." Cop tells some other cop to trace the call and then scene cuts to the morgue scene with Cobra and others.

Autopsy scene (where Cobra says that he wants to be involved in case) is extended with few extra shots and some more dialogue.

Second Nightslasher murder scene also has few extra shots of dead body, but due to the picture quality not much is seen actualy.

Small extended bits with Cobra in his apartment, waiting for call from police chief and later he and Tony, his partner arrive on meeting with chief and Monte. "Skyline" track from official soundtrack is heard during this scene. This track is not anywhere in theatrical version.

There are couple of extra dialogue scenes with Ingrid and Dan (her photographer) right before her photo shoot.

"Angel Of The City" montage scene is extended. There are more scenes of Cobra and Tony walking around the city and several shots of gang members at their day jobs.

Dan's death scene is extended. He is hit more times with ax.

Guy with glasses during parking garage attack is also hit more times with ax. It appears that final hit gets him in the head while he is on ground, although his death scene is more implied than shown.

Conversation between Nightslasher and Stalk where she tells him how Cobra is after them and that he is "very dangerous", but Slasher simply says that they will take care of him. This deleted scene explains why did the gang attack Cobra at his place and how did they know where to find him.

There are few more small scenes in Nightslasher's place where he is practicing with his knife. Part of this scene can be seen in one of the theatrical trailers.

Attack on Cobra's place is longer and more violent. Sniper guy from the gang arrives in his car, gang member in the street looks at apartment and puts his mask on, two gang members are shown climbing up the stairs and cutting the light off while sniper guy is looking from his car. There is longer (only few seconds) death scene of first guy that gets shot, and right when he goes towards the stairs Cobra is attacked by third gang member (in DVD version he is last seen lying on ground). At the same time, sniper guy from the gang who was waiting for others in his car drives away after he saw other gang member falling from stairs when Cobra shot him. Cobra manages to defend himself and he kills last gang member with his bare hands. Scene is quite brutal, considering that you can see blood going from his mask. Also, music is same like in the DVD cut, but much louder.

While most of this scene is used in TV cut, death scene of final gang member is not shown.

Janitor's death scene is longer, but only for about 2 or 3 seconds.

There is additional murder scene in hospital. Nightslasher stalks and kills same cop who was talking with nurse who also gets murdered by Slasher just minutes after. This deleted scene fixes continuity mistake from theatrical version of the movie in which same cop is seen talking with nurse and later he is no longer mentioned by other characters.

More shots of Cobra driving fast towards hospital.

Dialogue scene between Cobra and other cops is extended.

Car chase is longer, explosion of the first car on the road is longer, and Nightslashers car is first one that crashes in boat, and then Cobra's car crashes while Nightslasher and sniper guy escape. You can actually see in theatrical version, right when Cobra's car crashes into the boat, that he actually crashes into the Nightslasher's car. Also, Cobra and Ingrid are walking away from crashed cars little longer untill they stop.

Second dialogue scene between Cobra and other cops is also extended.

Gang members perform some strange ritual before they start to follow Cobra and others. Ritual ends with some of them breaking the mirror with their weapons. One of the trailers for the movie (one with "Feel The Heat" song playing in the background) actually shows small part of this scene and couple parts of the other deleted scene where Nightslasher practices with his knife.

"Feel The Heat" montage scene is longer with extra dialogue between Cobra and Ingrid.

There is some extended dialogue scenes between Stalk and Gonzales.

There are lot more shots of gang members following Cobra and others, also this part of the workprint is edited differently then theatrical cut.

Town attack scene is much longer and gorier with many additional murder scenes. One scene that is worth mentioning is when motel owner is watching Hitchcook's DIAL M FOR MURDER and in the scene where Swann starts to strangle Margot, motel owner gets strangled with barb wire.

During the motel shootout and pick-up truck chase more explicit close ups of bullet hits and holes are shown, plus several more gang members are shot by Cobra. Uncut version of this scene is actualy more accurate then theatrical version where lot of continuity mistakes are present due to the cuts.

Pick-up truck chase and shootout scene is also longer. Theatrical version of this scene has some continuity mistakes due to the cuts made either by studio or MPAA. Notice broken window on the left side of the pick-up: there was a small part cut where one of the bikers smashes the window with meat cleaver. One TV trailer shows this scene.

Factory shootout has additional action scene where Cobra is running through the orchard while being shot at by sniper. Two scenes where gang members are burning alive are little longer. Nightslasher's death scene has several close ups of his wound intercut with Cobra pushing him onto the hook and also while he is burning he screams. It's possible that this scene was cut because it was too intense or too real looking.

Extended ending where Cobra and Ingrid exchange few words with three cops armed with shotguns. Later when they both get on motorbike they ride through the locations where chase and shootout took place.

Final credits are not shown in the ending of the workprint.

Ending music in the workprint is Sylvester Levay's "Skyline" from original soundtrack release. It's possible that when scene was cut for theatrical release original music didn't fit well, or somebody, maybe even Stallone himself, wanted for movie to end with song "Voice Of America's Sons" that was used for music video about the movie.

If anyone has it please e-mail me @ moviecritic1990@hotmail.com

Thanks
jeff1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
ForzaBot
Frequent Poster

I dont think the workprint is actually out there in its complete form. However there is a TV version floating around which has the swearing and some violence cut but extra scenes not in any other release. Also, the UK and German Blu Ray release is supposedly "uncut" with at least some of the scenes you mentioned restored, but its certainly not 130 mins.
ForzaBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
jeff1990
Frequent Poster

The workprint is out there. I'm still looking for it.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Mikebd17
First Time Poster

Did you ever find it?
Mikebd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
jeff1990
Frequent Poster

No. After all this time I doubt it even exists. If it one day decides to show up, great. I'm going to focus on finding crash and Armageddon. Those two are my top priority.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #6
darkrage6
Frequent Poster

I'm a member of the movie torrent site Cinemaggedon and I checked to see if the workprint of Cobra was on there, no such luck.
darkrage6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:30 AM   #7
jeff1990
Frequent Poster

I've been collecting workprints for a long time even looking for stuff that was on the trading circuit back in the 1990's and I did manage to find a few with the possibility of finding a lot more. It's an adventure but yeah.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #8
kalopsia
Frequent Poster

The details for the workprint on imdb are changed around a bit now.... no? Correct me if i am wrong but can't anyone just add info to the alternate version section?

I really want the wild things workprint to resurface! That's actually a really good movie too. Or even the underworld 2002 movie.

Code:
http://www.angelfire.com/movies/vividvisions/workprints.html
Check out that screen shot of the dragonfly workprint! Dead on to the one i have but mines actually from the studio and not on 3 VCDs!
kalopsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #9
jeff1990
Frequent Poster

I want to find out who runs this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/movies/vivi...ckthegate.html

I believe it's that guy, Voogoo. I do know he frequented the video tape trading archives on Google back in the late 1990's as I found a few of his posts. Workprint collecting is a fun little hobby for a few reasons, the stories you hear about how people started trading and hearing what circulated back then. Gives me hope that one day more of what's lost will show up.

One of my favorite stories is the supposed Godzilla 1998 workprint that got leaked in March,1998 before being released.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:29 AM   #10
kalopsia
Frequent Poster

Nodsmiley

I'm sure most of these workprints that were around in the mid to late 90's were advanced copies given out to reviewers kinda how YouTube reviewers get advanced copies for review on the internet these days but they were given early workprint cuts... instead of the final version which most people get these days. No doubt there was proboly other reasons why stuff was leaked too but during the mid to late 90s i am sure that was the good reason why workprints were around. The studios gave out copies like that.. then the reviewers would make copies and share with their buddies. That's my spin. These are just assumptions but i don't see anyone arguing with me proving me wrong either.

Besides of that security guard that was stealing copies from the vaults i also heard of some movie reviewer making copies and selling them too... and he got busted eventually as well.

Even the beetle juice workprint was a advanced copy given to a reviewer back in the 80s. The reviewer was a collage professor at New York University and he gave the tape to my buddy who was a student of his. Then this copy sat in his attic for about 20 years. Then it was traded it out, and the rest is history. Crazy the guy had even more stuff on VHS but it was mostly TV versions. I also got the king of the hill workprints from hm that he bought off of eBay, and that buffalo may roam TV Version which he recorded himself. Which all was unheard of at the time.

I'm like you though i love the stories that come from these things coming to light. Plus i don't know why people are so paranoid. Maybe if these were workprints of movies today it would be a problem but most of these movies have made their money from theatrical and home sales. They should really just release the workprints as extras on blurays. They're good filler, and don't really take up much space.

I would love if Red Eye TV version surfaced too! There is additional scenes on YouTube but that's it!

Where the heck is the golden eye and total recall workprints? Unless you're involved with the studios year and years later i don't see why some of these things haven't surfaced or been shared already. Nobody is trying to profit from this. We're just a bunch of nerds. It's like who care's if the Godzilla workprint from 1998 surfaces in 2019. Maybe in 1998 it would of done damage to the studio's profit margin back in the day but now? Nah. Any normal person would rather watch that stuff on netflix, dvd or bluray rather a outdated 3rd gen VHS tape.

You're doing a real good job Jeff finding stuff. Keep up the good work.
kalopsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #11
jeff1990
Frequent Poster

Goldeneye is said to be in the hands of private traders who refuse to share. They want to keep it rare and not have it leaked like The Living Daylights.

That security guard was crazy, the amount of stuff I read on him was unbelievable.

I found an old trading list from 1997 from a trader who supposedly had workprints of Money Talks and Spawn.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
KRW
One Bad Mother Funker
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1990 View Post
Goldeneye is said to be in the hands of private traders who refuse to share. They want to keep it rare and not have it leaked like The Living Daylights.

That security guard was crazy, the amount of stuff I read on him was unbelievable.

I found an old trading list from 1997 from a trader who supposedly had workprints of Money Talks and Spawn.
The Spawn workprint is pretty much the same as the directors cut from what Todd McFarlane has said.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=369240
KRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #13
jeff1990
Frequent Poster

Still it would be nice to see. I'm a sucker for VHS quality. Anyway here's that persons trading list from 1997.

Movies (uncut, workprint, studio print, letterbox) in SP
- Air Force One studio print* (excellent quality, lbx)
- Eve's Bayou studio print* (good quality)
- U-Turn studio print* (good quality)
- Bean studio print* (excellent quality)
- Starship Troopers studio print* (good quality)
- I Know What You Did Last Summer studio print* (fair quality)
- LA Confidential studio print* (very good quality)
- Chasing Amy director's cut* (fair quality)
- The Game studio print* (fair/poor quality)
- George Lucas' short student film THX 1138
Rare student film from USC
- THX 1138 (full length, lbx)
- Boogie Nights* studio print (fair/poor quality)
- Playing God* studio print (fair quality)
- Red Corner* studio print (fair quality)
- Gattaca* studio print (fair/poor quality)
- Money Talks work print (good/fair quality)
w/ alternate scenes*
- Mimic uncut work print* (fair quality)
audio bad in first few minutes
- Copland work print* (fair/good quality)
rare--4 extra scenes
- My Best Friend's Wedding work print*
Rare! 50 extra minutes
- Austin Powers work print
w/ alternate scenes* (good quality)
- Spawn uncut work print* (good quality)
- Men in Black workprint (poor quality)
- Crash workprint (poor quality)
From Canne, with french subtitles
- Once a Thief
TV movie starring Nicholas Lea
- Hard Boiled (dubbed)
- Empire Strikes Back (letterbox)
- Pulp Fiction special edition
2 extra scenes & tarintino commentary
- Star Wars: A New Hope (letterbox)
- T2 special edition
15 minutes extra, james cameron commentary