Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #61
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

The WaPo story cited an autopsy report. Do we have other credible sources arguing a second or third autopsy found alcohol in Casolaro's system? Is there reason to doubt the claim?

It doesn't matter to me whether he was drunk. It still looks like suicide.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #62
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74
The WaPo story cited an autopsy report. Do we have other credible sources arguing a second or third autopsy found alcohol in Casolaro's system? Is there reason to doubt the claim?

It doesn't matter to me whether he was drunk. It still looks like suicide.
Oh, I wasn't arguing if alcohol was in his system or not, I was just saying that alcohol was found in his room. My point was that he could've been drinking days before his suicide when he got depressed and possibly decided to abuse a harder drug. Granted, he didn't have to be under the influence of anything to severe himself that bad.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #63
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

To the pro-suicide crowd:

"One pathologist who studied the autopsy noted the lack of hesitance marks and the savage, deep nature of the cuts to Casolaro’s wrists as been highly unusual.

This was echoed by an attending paramedic who told investigators — “I’ve never seen such deep incisions on a suicide… I don't know how he didn't pass out from the pain after the first two slashes.” "

Again, between the pain and the loss of function, I don't think it was possible for him to cut both wrists so deep. Maybe if he put the razor blade in his teeth, but even then the pain would be extreme.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:27 PM   #64
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller

"One pathologist who studied the autopsy noted the lack of hesitance marks and the savage, deep nature of the cuts to Casolaro’s wrists as been highly unusual.

This was echoed by an attending paramedic who told investigators — “I’ve never seen such deep incisions on a suicide… I don't know how he didn't pass out from the pain after the first two slashes.” "

Again, between the pain and the loss of function, I don't think it was possible for him to cut both wrists so deep. Maybe if he put the razor blade in his teeth, but even then the pain would be extreme.

the deep cuts definitely were the main thing that had me leaning toward murder in the beginning, but you then have to think, why would an assassin choose such a messy way to kill someone? I am now thinking a man who was depressed, on drug and/or alcohol might have done something terrible to himself
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #65
freakbook

Quote:

What if he were on painkillers that were found on the scene? If he was high the pain would be numb. It's also possible he cut one wrist severely and he didn't die, so he sliced the other one until he eventually died. Also the direction in which he cut wouldn't have resulted in immediate death.

The manner of his suicide is unusual, but is it really impossible?

And as I always say never underestimate the power of depression/despair. You'd be surprised and what some people will do to themselves out of depression/desperation.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #66
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

It is medically possible. Is it extremely painful? Yup. However, he did have alcohol, a painkiller and antidepressants in his system at the time of death. None of which were at a level to cause him to be unable to fight off an assailant.

Notice, the pathologist said unusual not impossible. So that answered the question if it's possible.

His time of death was between 8am-11am. I find it just as crazy as the pro murder crowd, that neither guests occupying rooms on either said of him heard any sound of what would've been a violent struggle and fight for life. So they had one guy hold him down while the other attempted to slash his wrists? Again, with no sound heard with both guests on either side? One of which had talked a few times to Casolaro the night before he died.

Why would the CIA kill a journalist who's research can't get published bc it's not credible?

Also, come on, why would he lie to friends and colleagues about being sought after by the Times and other publishers about his story when it was complete BS, if he genuinely had a good story?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #67
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissKryssy
It is medically possible. Is it extremely painful? Yup. However, he did have alcohol, a painkiller and antidepressants in his system at the time of death. None of which were at a level to cause him to be unable to fight off an assailant.

Notice, the pathologist said unusual not impossible. So that answered the question if it's possible.

His time of death was between 8am-11am. I find it just as crazy as the pro murder crowd, that neither guests occupying rooms on either said of him heard any sound of what would've been a violent struggle and fight for life. So they had one guy hold him down while the other attempted to slash his wrists? Again, with no sound heard with both guests on either side? One of which had talked a few times to Casolaro the night before he died.

Why would the CIA kill a journalist who's research can't get published bc it's not credible?

Also, come on, why would he lie to friends and colleagues about being sought after by the Times and other publishers about his story when it was complete BS, if he genuinely had a good story?
Another thing that gets me is the violent manner in which his wrists were cut. It seemed more like a "hateful" or "angry" attack on his wrists. I feel like he knew his story wasn't going anywhere, and he was being laughed at by publishers and it made him angry. He failed as a journalist, and possibly felt like he failed as a father (which was indicated in his suicide note) and he felt hopelessly angry.

The way he was cut seemed "passionate" to say the least. Why would someone waste time cutting him that many times when his screams could be heard by other hotel visitors next to him? That seems like way too much for an assassin on a bogus story.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #68
freakbook

I mean...put yourself in his place. You placed all of you time and energy to a story. You're beginning to realize that it's going nowhere, publishers/colleagues are laughing at you, and you lied to your family/friends numerous times.

You realize that the truth is going to surface sooner or later, and not only are you embarrassed/humiliated, but you're thinking how your son may look at you.

As harsh as it sounds, I'm sure he felt like a failure. Some people can't deal with the thought of being a failure. I'm sure it made him depressed/angry. He placed all of his money, time, effort, and energy into this only for it to be bunk. That has to hurt.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #69
dynoguy88

Quote:
Between the times of 8am-11am, I figure most guests might be out for breakfast or already at work. This was a Sheraton right off the freeway, not a luxury hotel in tropical paradise. It's impossible to know if the people in either room next door were in their rooms at the time.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #70
James T

Quote:

Well the same stuff gets said about Cobain to this day-despite all the evidence showing it was suicide. Eddie Graham managed to shoot himself with a gun a second time as the first blast didn't kill him. Most likely in this case his fear of blood meant he didn't want to do hesitation cuts, see blood & then back out. Quite possibly the drugs in his system stopped him from passing out.

Last edited by James T; 08-24-2017 at 07:57 AM.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #71
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74
No comparison, in my judgment. Webb had an impressive career as an investigative journalist before the series of stories that killed him professionally. And there's more truth than not in Webb's stories, especially when we learn the degree to which The Washington Post, The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and the CIA collaborated in his downfall. As one Senate staffer said, even if Webb failed to find a smoking gun, there was "a strong circumstantial case that Contra officials who were paid by the CIA knew about [drug smuggling] and looked the other way." And all of us knew it at the time. Most of us lived it.
There was a lot of truth, but there was also stuff he refused to investigate/print because it contradicted his version, he basically followed the same rabbit hole as Danny C.

In the column Ceppos continued to defend parts of the article, writing that the series had "solidly documented" that the drug ring described in the series did have connections with the Contras and did sell large quantities of cocaine in inner-city Los Angeles.

But, Ceppos wrote, the series "did not meet our standards" in four areas. 1) It presented only one interpretation of conflicting evidence and in one case "did not include information that contradicted a central assertion of the series." 2) The series' estimates of the money involved was presented as fact instead of an estimate. 3) The series oversimplified how the crack epidemic grew. 4) The series "created impressions that were open to misinterpretation" through "imprecise language and graphics.

Editors at the paper, on the other hand, felt that Webb had failed to tell them about information that contradicted the series' claims, and that he "responded to concerns not with reasoned argument, but with accusations of us selling him out

Jonathan Krim, The Mercury News editor who recruited Webb from the Plain Dealer and who supervised The Mercury News internal review of "Dark Alliance," told AJR editor Paterno that Webb "had all the qualities you'd want in a reporter: curious, dogged, a very high sense of wanting to expose wrongdoing and to hold private and public officials accountable." But as Krim also told Webb's biographer Nick Schou, "The zeal that helped make Gary a relentless reporter was coupled with an inability to question himself, to entertain the notion that he might have erred."

Scott Herhold, Webb’s first editor at the Mercury-News, wrote in a 2013 column that "Gary Webb was a journalist of outsized talent. Few reporters I've known could match his nose for an investigative story. When he was engaged, he worked hard. He wrote well. But Webb had one huge blind side: He was fundamentally a man of passion, not of fairness. When facts didn't fit his theory, he tended to shove them to the sidelines..
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #72
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Between the times of 8am-11am, I figure most guests might be out for breakfast or already at work. This was a Sheraton right off the freeway, not a luxury hotel in tropical paradise. It's impossible to know if the people in either room next door were in their rooms at the time.
An assassin would have to keep in mind that people could potentially hear/see him. That's the point. Why choose a method of murder that could draw attention of screaming, and that takes a good bit of time to do?

This doesn't make sense for an assassin. Somehow break into his hotel room without being seen/heard, then somehow get in him in a bathtub, and then spend a good deal of time slashing both of his wrist which could cause attention. Doesn't make sense.

Last edited by freakbook; 08-24-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #73
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

For the record, I'm not convinced either way on this case. But I am very bothered by the depth of the cuts on his wrists. They are extremely deep.

As for the "neighbors not hearing anything" argument, there are lots of possible reasons why. But that also goes both ways. Are we to believe that someone could cut his wrists up to 20 times, deep enough to get to the tendons, and not let out any yelp or scream? I don't think the lack of anyone hearing anything proves or disapproves this either way.

Also, a garbage bag was found under his body. One of the theories was that it was put over Danny's head to asphyxiate him, which might explain how they could pull this off. He also may have been tortured for information.

The drugs he had in his system were some level of an antidepressant, Tylenol, and alcohol. I could be wrong, but the levels were deemed fairly low, so I don't see how this could have helped him endure the excruciating pain any better.

Again, this may very well have been a suicide, but I can't accept those horrible cuts as being normal, especially for a guy who was apparently squeamish to blood.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #74
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

Ok but if you guys think he had some great scoop that would cause him to be murdered..

Why did he blatantly lie to his friends and colleagues that Time and other publishers wanted his story when in fact, that was a complete lie?
LilMissKryssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #75
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Ok but if you guys think he had some great scoop that would cause him to be murdered..

Why did he blatantly lie to his friends and colleagues that Time and other publishers wanted his story when in fact, that was a complete lie?
He may have overplayed his hand, implying that he had evidence and proof that he didn't really have. He might have spooked someone enough that he was killed, but even that doesn't prove the existence of The Octopus or any large government conspiracy. Hell, he could have been murdered for something totally unrelated to his case (although it is pretty odd his briefcase and note file were never found).

I agree that if it was a shakedown, you'd think there would be more signs of a struggle. But there were also signs that some of the blood may have been cleaned up, and that would point to murder. Who knows...