Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #46
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

Also, a lot of people are quoting his brother who said he was super sqimism with needles and blood. That could very well be true. However, people who normally had a fear of heights have committed suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. It was in the documentary "The Bridge." (Don't watch unless you're ready to cry).

Committing suicide isn't rational. People that desperate will do things they wouldn't normally do.

Casolaro's crudials as a journalist was pretty poor according to that article. While he was always broke and in debt, after realizing his obsession was turning out to be unpublishable and lacking credibility, he very well might've felt like a failure.

Any guess is he was depressed about it but he also wanted to create mystery around his death. Again, he told people he was getting threats but not one other person can substantiate that. He just happened to say if he was found dead on that trip, it wasn't an "accident."

No hotel employee or guest, to my knowledge, said they heard a struggle or saw a guest come into the hotel. The autopsy says at the time of death, he was had no alcohol in his blood however it says nothing about if he had pain killers in his system at the time of death. Hotel employees did say he seemed depressed during his stay and at times drank heavily.

I'm just saying logic says this was an elaborate suicide .
Old 08-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #47
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissKryssy
Casolaro's crudials as a journalist was pretty poor according to that article. While he was always broke and in debt, after realizing his obsession was turning out to be unpublishable and lacking credibility, he very well might've felt like a failure.
That, and added with the suicide note dedicated to his son, I think this was it. He was a broke journalist chasing a fairytale. Investigators said that alcohol cans, and bottles were found in his room, so it's no doubt that he was drinking prior to his suicide. Perhaps that drinking, plus the failure he felt as a father made him feel the lowest of low and he commited suicide.

Extreme method, but painkillers, plus depression can do a hell of alot. It's easy to sit back and say "no one would do that", but you're not in his head, and have no idea what he felt.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #48
bugnpinky
Frequent Poster

He had too much going on to make it a clear cut case of suicide. Too much other evidence at the scene to make it open and shut. Suicides are rarely elaborate...not impossible or unheard of but generally those who do it want it over with quickly. Not with elaborate staging. It seems pretty obvious to me it was not but if someone has proof otherwise I'm willing to change my mind.
bugnpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #49
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugnpinky
He had too much going on to make it a clear cut case of suicide. Too much other evidence at the scene to make it open and shut. Suicides are rarely elaborate...not impossible or unheard of but generally those who do it want it over with quickly. Not with elaborate staging. It seems pretty obvious to me it was not but if someone has proof otherwise I'm willing to change my mind.
Explain how someone broke into his hotel room without anyone else hearing or seeing anything?

All he had going on was chasing a bunk story that was going nowhere. Outside of how deep the cuts were I'd like to hear your theories on why the scene points to murder rather suicide.

Me and Misskrissy already went. Your turn
Old 08-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #50
James T

He & Gary Webb were pretty much the same thing-chasing an interesting story which had some elements of truth to it, but bought into some dodgy people's tall tales, tried to make things fit into their beliefs, fell into depression, had money problems & realised they were never likely to work in mainstream journalism again.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #51
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugnpinky
Obviously, I can't prove it was a suicide. However, the reason I'm saying he got rid of his documents, told people if he died on this trip it wasn't an accident, told people of random threats was to make people believe he was really into something. I've looked into this theories and it's definitely wild. Again, you would have to believe an assassin would slit his wrists 10-12 times, in a hotel room where there's a lot of people around, to cover up his octopus theory which is own publisher laughed at as incoherent and lacking credibility. He wouldn't publish it. Believe me, he was no Bernstein or Woodward

And why would he have any reason to bring an old bottle of painkillers from 1988 that he hadn't used in 3 years on this trip?
LilMissKryssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #52
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Also, I'm not against every single "conspiracy theory" in this world. Do I believe JFK was shot through the front of the head. Yup, because it's on video and every ER doctor who worked on him said the exit wound was in the back. Do I believe the CIA engaged in very shady and illegal activities especially during the 40s-60s era? Yes. However, when you start getting into the Alex Jones territory of lizard people, a staged Sandy Hook and 9/11 hologram planes....I'm not feeling it. If you look into this octopus theory, it's definitely in Alex Jones territory to me. Not to get political but listening to him will kill brain cells and cause dillusional paranoia.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #53
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

The thing is, plenty of journalists at the time showed connections between BCCI, Iran-Contra, and the 1980 election, notably Theodore Draper, whose A Very Thin Line remains the most authoritative account of Iran-Contra because exhausting, and the AP's Robert Parry -- the same coterie of former and current CIA operatives and national security apparatchiks involved, officially and unofficially, with the Reagan Administration. Nothing in Casolaro's background suggests he could handle the reporting commensurate with such a scoop.

As for the alcohol, the WaPo article published in August 2011 notes: "The autopsy report said there was no alcohol in his blood at the time of his death."
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #54
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Here's an except from wiki with sources sited about Casalero

" On August 5, 1991, Casolaro phoned Bill McCoy, a retired CID officer to tell him that Time magazine had assigned him an article about the Octopus. He further claimed to be working with reporter Jack Anderson, and that publishers Little, Brown and Time Warner had offered to finance the effort. All of these claims were later shown to be false:[1] Little, Brown, for example, had rejected his Octopus manuscript over a month earlier.[6]

On the same day, Casolaro's friend Ben Mason agreed to talk to Casolaro about his finances. A few days later, Casolaro showed Mason a 22-point outline for his book and expressed frustration at having been tied up with a literary agent who was unable to sell it for the last eighteen months. He also allegedly complained about his sleep being disturbed for the previous three months by calls during the night.[1]"

1) Why would he lie so blatantly if he was really into something?

The following day, a neighbor of Casolaro's and long-time housekeeper, Olga, helped Casolaro pack a black leather tote. She remembers him packing a thick sheaf of papers into a dark brown or black briefcase. Casolaro said he was leaving for several days to visit Martinsburg, West Virginia, to meet a source who promised to provide an important missing piece to his story. This was the last time Olga saw him. Olga told The Village Voice that she answered several threatening telephone calls at Casolaro's home that day. She said that one man called at about 9:00 a.m. and said, "I will cut his body and throw it to the sharks". Less than an hour later, a different man said: "Drop dead." There was a third call, but Olga remembered only that no one spoke and that she heard music as though a radio were playing. A fourth call was the same as the third, and a fifth call, this one silent, came later that night."

2) Notice how the only witness to these calls said they came AFTER Danny had left? Not once did anyone report getting a threatening phone call when he was actually home or with them.

"Under Casolaro's body, paramedics found an empty Milwaukee beer can, two white plastic liner-trash bags, and a single edge razor blade. There was also a half-empty wine bottle nearby. Ridgeway and Vaughan write that nothing was placed in the bathtub drain to prevent debris from draining away, and none of the bathwater was saved.[1] Other than the gruesome scene, the hotel room was clean and orderly. There was a legal pad and a pen present on the desk; a single page had been torn from the pad, and a message written on it: "To those who I love the most: Please forgive me for the worst possible thing I could have done. Most of all I'm sorry to my son. I know deep down inside that God will let me in."[6]

Based on the note, the absence of a struggle, no sign of a forced entry, and the presence of alcohol, police judged the case a straightforward suicide. After inspecting the scene, they found four more razor blades in their envelopes in a small package. Police interviews further revealed that no one had seen nor heard anything suspicious. The Martinsburg police contacted authorities in Fairfax, Virginia, who said they would notify Casolaro's family.

Police investigation
The first autopsy was performed on Casolaro's body at the University of Virginia on August 14, 1991. The coroner determined that blood loss was the cause of death, and that death had occurred from one to four hours before the body was discovered, or roughly between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on August 10.[1]

3) His time of death was between 8am - 11am. He wasn't didn't die at night. Weird time for a killer to come when most guests are up and moving in the AM. The people next to him never heard a struggle or screaming.

"Frost said there was evidence of the early stages of multiple sclerosis, but the degree of severity was probably minor. Toxicology analysis uncovered traces of several drugs: antidepressants, acetaminophen, and alcohol. He wrote: "There was nothing present in any way that could have incapacitated Casolaro so he would have been incapable of struggling against an assailant, let alone been sufficient to kill him."[1]

Ron Rosenbaum, a journalist acquaintance of Casolaro's, speculated in Vanity Fair that Casolaro may have intended his suicide to appear to be murder triggered by his research, in order to have others look into the story after his death."

4) Do you how hard it would be to slit someone's writs so deeply while they are fighting back for their life? Yet nobody heard a thing

Please go to his wiki page and read the sources. Great info
Old 08-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #55
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T
He & Gary Webb were pretty much the same thing-chasing an interesting story which had some elements of truth to it, but bought into some dodgy people's tall tales, tried to make things fit into their beliefs, fell into depression, had money problems & realised they were never likely to work in mainstream journalism again.
No comparison, in my judgment. Webb had an impressive career as an investigative journalist before the series of stories that killed him professionally. And there's more truth than not in Webb's stories, especially when we learn the degree to which The Washington Post, The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and the CIA collaborated in his downfall. As one Senate staffer said, even if Webb failed to find a smoking gun, there was "a strong circumstantial case that Contra officials who were paid by the CIA knew about [drug smuggling] and looked the other way." And all of us knew it at the time. Most of us lived it.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #56
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

I know all about the activities in the 80s however Casolaro's notes and writing that did surface after are nothing to write home about. He hadn't uncovered anything credible.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #57
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Agreed.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #58
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74
The thing is, plenty of journalists at the time showed connections between BCCI, Iran-Contra, and the 1980 election, notably Theodore Draper, whose A Very Thin Line remains the most authoritative account of Iran-Contra because exhausting, and the AP's Robert Parry -- the same coterie of former and current CIA operatives and national security apparatchiks involved, officially and unofficially, with the Reagan Administration. Nothing in Casolaro's background suggests he could handle the reporting commensurate with such a scoop.

As for the alcohol, the WaPo article published in August 2011 notes: "The autopsy report said there was no alcohol in his blood at the time of his death."
According to his wiki article which is sourced , they did find alcohol in his system.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #59
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

I should've written "August 1991" for that WaPo article. My apologies.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #60
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74
Maybe. However multiple sources had said that alcohol was found in his room, and the staff reported that he was drunk sometime. I wonder if he was drinking before the suicide and that caused him to take his own life? Maybe the drinking led him taking something harder?

As much as people want to tin foil hat conspiracy his death, if we're looking at common sense then his "murder" doesn't make sense. There were no signs of forced entry found in his hotel room, and he left a suicide note. The razor blades were left behind and there were no DNA/evidence that anyone else was in the room. Open and shut case.