Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #16
EverythingNthensome
Danascully
Frequent Poster

That is the same exact thing i thought about when i saw the segment and looked at all aspects of this case. He took a huge risk, but corruption runs deep. The Man in the army uniform was more than likely an informant, who was just as passionate as Danny about uncovering the truth and exposing so much of the corruption, that he felt is was necessary to pay respects. The army man saw a guy who put his life on the line and died tying to fight for something he believed in. Danny was not only a journalist who loved his job to death, But he was a man who wouldn't stop until the truth was out there.

That part of the case always reminded me of the X-files, and how the mystery man who was just as passionate about uncovering the truth, Put his life at risk to help Mulder. I Look up to Dan because in a lot of way i want to be just like him if i pursue my career.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #17
cordwainer1453
Frequent Poster

I always though whatever it was it was blown out of proportion by conspiracy theorists.
cordwainer1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #18
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingNthensome
That is the same exact thing i thought about when i saw the segment and looked at all aspects of this case. He took a huge risk, but corruption runs deep. The Man in the army uniform was more than likely an informant, who was just as passionate as Danny about uncovering the truth and exposing so much of the corruption, that he felt is was necessary to pay respects. The army man saw a guy who put his life on the line and died tying to fight for something he believed in. Danny was not only a journalist who loved his job to death, But he was a man who wouldn't stop until the truth was out there.

That part of the case always reminded me of the X-files, and how the mystery man who was just as passionate about uncovering the truth, Put his life at risk to help Mulder. I Look up to Dan because in a lot of way i want to be just like him if i pursue my career.
Members are not going to be involved with that type of activity.. The only legit official connection I can remotely see is some type of investigative agency but they don't wear uniforms especially in such events for obvious reasons. Why would an investigator give himself away like that for a classified case? They also only investigate matters related to the military which I do not recall there being one mentioned although govt agencies were mentioned. But if there was one that could explain a connection for the conspiracy theorist.

It would be the equivalent of a CIA or FBI agent identifying themselves to everyone at the funeral to say hey here I am I'm involved with the circumstances of his death somehow! Hollywood and even news media perpetuates stereotypes of military and its easy to buy in if you do not have a personal account. There is a major disconnect between people that serve in the military and people that do not. So I can see that.

The only thing that makes sense to me if there is a grain of truth to this account is that there was a military person who was a friend and for some reason he decided to wear his uniform to honor Danny but the rest of the details were highly exaggerated.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #19
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453
I always though whatever it was it was blown out of proportion by conspiracy theorists.
Exactly
Old 04-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #20
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingNthensome

I agree with you. This is exactly what I think happened.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #21
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Colin Powell was not the only black officer in the US armed forces at the time -- and he'd just served as Reagan's national security adviser!
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #22
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453
It always seemed far too fanciful to me.
Tighthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #23
BennettMarco
Occasional Poster

I know it may seem odd that I decided to reignite this conversation nearly five years later. I didn't randomly stumble on this thread.
BennettMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #24
LaurierCrimmajor
Frequent Poster

While there definitely is something narratively stirring and "truth is out there" aura about the military man placing a medal on Danny's casket at the funeral, I always found it curious that nobody thought, in light of the details surrounding Danny's investigation and suspicious death, to approach the man (I know it's poor form at a funeral and grief does a helluva thing to common sense and emotion), but I just wish someone like Danny's brother would've gone up to him or at least, taken a further look at what exactly the man put on the casket. I'd almost be intrigued to excavate the grave and look to see what exactly medal was placed on the casket if the family were looking for any further answers.

Danny's female journalist friend who mentioned the man to Danny's mom at his wake seems like an astute and articulate observer, guided by instinct given her profession, so I tend to lend credence to her observations.

A "wrong funeral" argument could have happened, but when you hear a eulogy at the gravesite and the belief that this military man was highly decorated, one would think he'd be observational/aware enough to know he wasn't at the right funeral, especially if he was placing something meaningful on the casket.

I was wondering if, given the theory that Danny staged his death to shed further light on his story or if he'd actually taken his own life and wanted to give meaning to it through a conspiracy, if the military man might have been part of that facade, possibly an actor prearranged by Danny to assist in establishing and reifying the conspiratorial avenue.

The whole Casolaro mystery is one of the most engaging IMO and I chocked it up to an acquaintance who Danny had encountered during his travels and investigation who he'd become friendly with and this was a muted, understated last sign of respect.
LaurierCrimmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 AM   #25
EverythingNthensome
Danascully
Frequent Poster

Hmmm, I could understand where you guys are coming from with it being blown out of proportion, then again, i don't believe there would be any reason to cover up Danny's death the way it was, if it wasn't that serious. I also don't think the military man had any chances of outing or blowing his identity at the funeral. I think he was aware that nobody who he worked with or was involved in Danny's research would show up (That is if he really was there) . I know somebody mentioned there is no reason for military to be involved but i think its a possibility, only from my own experiences from people who are either working for the state or gov and share their stories on who had connections with who. It's a strange world. I want to think someone had just snapped along the way and really didn't want to loose their job, but in my heart i always feel off about this case. Mostly because i don't think the killer would ever be exposed.
EverythingNthensome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:47 AM   #26
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Of course, my cynical side wonders if this guy just simply showed up at the wrong funeral by mistake . Any theories?
Another possibility along the same lines is the graveyard where Danny was buried might have a large number of veterans and this general might have just been driving by and assumed Danny was a veteran. Since military men are very cliquish, it would come as no surprise that a high ranking officer would stop and give a quick gesture of respect to a possible deceased veteran (whether he knew him or not). And I've known generals personally -- they don't typically drive around in limos unless they are going to some formal military function (like a funeral of a comrade). Generals are like everyone else off-duty -- they dress in civilian clothes and drive themselves. The exceptions would be if they are REALLY important generals like someone on the joint chiefs who might need bodyguards.

Or, perhaps, as you suggested, maybe he was going to a funeral of someone else and stopped at the wrong funeral. lol

In any case, like you, I've always found that whole uniformed military officer scenario strange and it always stuck out in my mind as being one element of the story that didn't fit. It doesn't really make sense for him to be there (at least not dressed as he was) if he and Danny were somehow acquainted and working together to uncover corruption in the government. He would want to remain anonymous if he was somehow on Danny's side. Besides, as you said, this Octopus story really had nothing to do with the military in the first place.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #27
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Another possibility along the same lines is the graveyard where Danny was buried might have a large number of veterans and this general might have just been driving by and assumed Danny was a veteran. Since military men are very cliquish, it would come as no surprise that a high ranking officer would stop and give a quick gesture of respect to a possible deceased veteran (whether he knew him or not). And I've known generals personally -- they don't typically drive around in limos unless they are going to some formal military function (like a funeral of a comrade). Generals are like everyone else off-duty -- they dress in civilian clothes and drive themselves. The exceptions would be if they are REALLY important generals like someone on the joint chiefs who might need bodyguards.

Or, perhaps, as you suggested, maybe he was going to a funeral of someone else and stopped at the wrong funeral. lol

In any case, like you, I've always found that whole uniformed military officer scenario strange and it always stuck out in my mind as being one element of the story that didn't fit. It doesn't really make sense for him to be there (at least not dressed as he was) if he and Danny were somehow acquainted and working together to uncover corruption in the government. He would want to remain anonymous if he was somehow on Danny's side. Besides, as you said, this Octopus story really had nothing to do with the military in the first place.
I agree with most of your post and will add that a veteran funeral is distinct with military honors which I don't believe Danny had. I don't see how a veteran would mistake him for a veteran. To me that's clear. So there are only two possibilities. Either Danny was involved with a TS mission that involved the DOD(which I highly doubt) or the story was blown out of proportion for Hollywood purposes. I believe the latter.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #28
BennettMarco
Occasional Poster

I posted in this thread last year to spark conversation, or to help with ideas on how to approach.

Not sure who else is following along here, but I know the truth to this "mystery". I've seen the theories and guesses as to why, but the truth isn't as cryptic.

I think someone guessed it right on the money at one point. It happened almost exactly as the show depicted. The "military man" at Casolaro's funeral WAS in fact there at the right funeral. And no, there's no good reason why the family would have known his identity, so they would have every right to think there was more to it.

Anyway, I heard this story about 20 years ago. A lot of time has gone by and his family may already know the truth. Should I bother making contact?
BennettMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #29
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettMarco
I posted in this thread last year to spark conversation, or to help with ideas on how to approach.

Not sure who else is following along here, but I know the truth to this "mystery". I've seen the theories and guesses as to why, but the truth isn't as cryptic.

I think someone guessed it right on the money at one point. It happened almost exactly as the show depicted. The "military man" at Casolaro's funeral WAS in fact there at the right funeral. And no, there's no good reason why the family would have known his identity, so they would have every right to think there was more to it.

Anyway, I heard this story about 20 years ago. A lot of time has gone by and his family may already know the truth. Should I bother making contact?
Spill!!!
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:23 PM   #30
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettMarco

Secret gay lover or drinking buddy?
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote