Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
justins5256

Question Lost Loves: Janet O'Regan searching for her father

I just watched this "Lost Loves" case. I don't think I have seen it before. It aired on November 9, 1988. The story was about a British woman named Janet Parker O'Regan. She was looking for her father. He was an American soldier stationed in Great Britain during WWII. He dated her mother very briefly before returning to the US. Janet's birth mother claimed he was killed, but Janet believes he is still alive. Does anyone remember this story, or know if the father was ever located?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I just watched this "Lost Loves" case. I don't think I have seen it before. It aired on November 9, 1988. The story was about a British woman named Janet Parker O'Regan. She was looking for her father. He was an American soldier stationed in Great Britain during WWII. He dated her mother very briefly before returning to the US. Janet's birth mother claimed he was killed, but Janet believes he is still alive. Does anyone remember this story, or know if the father was ever located?
I remember it, but I don't remember there being an update.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
justins5256

Heir finder Josh Butler was interviewed in the segment. He is still around and has a website. I sent him an email. I'll be sure to post if I hear anything from him.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
justins5256

I was surprised when I checked my email this morning and saw that I had received a response from Josh Butler. Apparently, either James White (or some member of his family) saw the Unsolved Mysteries broadcast and threatened suit against NBC. This man was married and had children in the United States. The idea of having a child in England who was the product of an affair his wife most likely did not know about was apparently too much to bare. Butler indicated he never heard from Janet again after this and has no idea if she ever spoke to James White but it seems unlikely.

I must say I wasn't entirely surprised by this news. In the segment, it was mentioned that Janet's mother broke up with James when she discovered he had a family in the United States. She told Janet that James was dead when Janet was younger and rather begrudgingly gave Janet the "okay" to search for him when she was older. Josh Butler also located a photograph in a magazine of a man he believed to be James White with his troop, but Janet's mother denied it was him. Seemed there was some bad blood there.

This makes me wonder, were there any other "Lost Loves" that had sad/tragic outcomes?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I was surprised when I checked my email this morning and saw that I had received a response from Josh Butler. Apparently, either James White (or some member of his family) saw the Unsolved Mysteries broadcast and threatened suit against NBC. This man was married and had children in the United States. The idea of having a child in England who was the product of an affair his wife most likely did not know about was apparently too much to bare. Butler indicated he never heard from Janet again after this and has no idea if she ever spoke to James White but it seems unlikely.

I must say I wasn't entirely surprised by this news. In the segment, it was mentioned that Janet's mother broke up with James when she discovered he had a family in the United States. She told Janet that James was dead when Janet was younger and rather begrudgingly gave Janet the "okay" to search for him when she was older. Josh Butler also located a photograph in a magazine of a man he believed to be James White with his troop, but Janet's mother denied it was him. Seemed there was some bad blood there.

This makes me wonder, were there any other "Lost Loves" that had sad/tragic outcomes?
Wow that was interesting. That certainly explains why it wasn't aired much. What a slap in the face for Janet O'Regan! I feel bad for her.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Wow that was interesting. That certainly explains why it wasn't aired much. What a slap in the face for Janet O'Regan! I feel bad for her.
Yes, Josh Butler said it only aired once. I seem to recall Lifetime aired the Steve Hadley segment in it's place.

My heart sank when I read about the outcome. Stack mentioned that Janet O'Regan had been diagnosed with cancer (breast?) some years before but had beaten it. Since that time, she had a renewed outlook on life and wanted to do many things, including find her biological father, James White.

She also wrote a letter that Stack read on air. The gist of the letter was that she was not looking for money, and didn't want to disrupt his life, she just wanted to get to know him.

I wonder if he even knew Janet's mother was pregnant. This story reminds me a lot of that other case about the woman searching for her father, also a GI, known only as "Duncan". In that case, at least, they did find Duncan and he wanted to be a part of his daughter's life and join her family too.

So I guess some people do see themselves on "Lost Loves" and not want to respond.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

i think i remember this case, did they successfully sue UM? Is Janet still alive?
Old 08-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Thanks to Chris Rogers help I finally saw this case for the first time, quite amazing. No real update on the UM wiki which is disappointing i wonder what happened since the big reveal and court case?
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
WishfulDreamer

This is quite possibly the only segment I've never seen. If anyone knows about it being on a certain forbidden site or other location, please let me know
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
omegadoom
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb4884 View Post
Thanks to Chris Rogers help I finally saw this case for the first time, quite amazing. No real update on the UM wiki which is disappointing i wonder what happened since the big reveal and court case?
You're welcome. -Chris
omegadoom is offline   Reply With Quote