Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I watched this segment again a few months ago, and got the feeling that the MPD might have suffered from professional complacency (if not worse). A young, fresh, energetic, eager officer like Sandlin reportedly was can be a real irritant to an old guard--and especially one that engages in illegal activities. I wonder if his murder was perpetuated solely by an angry dealer who only afterward involved police in a coverup, or if the department itself planned a scheme because Steve had the potential to air any dirty laundry he might have later stumbled across--that is, was he branded a potential "trouble maker" and targeted solely on that basis by his fellow officers, who might not have been so squeaky clean--or was it indeed retaliation by the "hassled" dealer?
I think the chief of police interviewed in the segment made in obvious that Steve was gung-ho about his job and that it was irritating to him at least. He even said he told him to "slow down" and IIRC, there was mention that there was an argument between the two. I tend to think the drug dealer had ties with the PD somehow, and only utilized them to help with the coverup after Steve's murder.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I think the chief of police interviewed in the segment made in obvious that Steve was gung-ho about his job and that it was irritating to him at least. He even said he told him to "slow down" and IIRC, there was mention that there was an argument between the two.
Yeah, I remember Sandlin's girlfriend (I think it was her, anyway) saying he said something to the effect of "if I wanted to be a security guard, that's what I'd go do", or similar regarding that argument.

I really feel for him. It seems like the only thing he wanted to do was be the best police officer he could be. His department really let him down in multiple ways--potential murder coverup aside. It's so hard to be in an organization you want to legitimize and are constantly stonewalled at every turn--perhaps because you're making others look lazy or incompetent. Can't be taller than the other trees in the forest and all that.

Quote:
I tend to think the drug dealer had ties with the PD somehow, and only utilized them to help with the coverup after Steve's murder.
The fact that the department was actually under investigation for improperly handling evidence at the time doesn't do much to dampen the possibility of an officer planting that marijuana, as you and Zlatko suggested.

The "playing with his gun" thing is really lame conjecture, IMO, and I thought it reeked of nothing but Carson's contempt for the young man. No officer graduating from any legitimate training program would play with a firearm, let alone a loaded one.

You know, sometimes police officers and drug dealers "share the spoils", so to speak. I wonder if that's what was going on here--the police let the dealers do their thing, as long as they get a cut.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
The "playing with his gun" thing is really lame conjecture, IMO, and I thought it reeked of nothing but Carson's contempt for the young man. No officer graduating from any legitimate training program would play with a firearm, let alone a loaded one.
As crazy as it sounds, before I found out his death was ruled a homicide, I actually agreed with Carson that it was most likely an accident. Steve was 21, and was described by everyone as extremely gung-ho, and I thought it seemed plausible that he was messing around with his gun during some down time. Now I can see how bunk it is.

Quote:
You know, sometimes police officers and drug dealers "share the spoils", so to speak. I wonder if that's what was going on here--the police let the dealers do their thing, as long as they get a cut.
There's no doubt that's what happened. It's the only thing that would make sense considering the drugs were planted in Steve's house.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #19
CAxlRose69
Occasional Poster

My take on this case is that while the MPD wasn't complicit in his death, the Chief of Police knew that was something was awry but chose to look the other way.

Back then, small police forces in small towns were rife with corruption. Not corruption on any kind of epic scale. But I can imagine that the cops had ties to the drug dealers and in exchange for some kick-backs they allowed the dealers to carry out their business. It's an old school way of both keeping an eye out on drug trafficking and keeping it from getting out of hand.

The dealer that Steve busted only had about 100k worth of pot in his house. That seems like a lot of money, but that's NOTHING compared to the huge amounts of coke and heroin that some dealers get busted with, which can have a street value in the millions.

But for a small town in NM, 100k is at least enough money for an officer to get a decent kick-back and look the other way when it comes to small-time pot distribution.

But Steve wanted to come in and kick ass and enforce the laws just like he was trained in the Academy. But the small-town force with its old ways wasn't going to allow that so they looked the other way while one of the dealers took him out.

It's absolutely tragic. My heart goes out to his fiancee for having to endure this loss. All because Steve wanted to do the right thing.
CAxlRose69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #20
Hambone2421

Here's my view of what happened:

The man that Steve arrested for possession was somehow connected. This doesn't mean he was rich or "mafia connected" but had some connections within the PD. It was a small town, only four police officers, including Steve. Steve mentioned to either his friend or brother (cant remember which) of an uneasy situation about to take place and he asked for his advice. The friend/brothers advice was simply, "tell the truth". This makes me think there may have been some sort of hearing regarding some stuff Steve had uncovered at a state or federal level and those directly in charge of him were trying to get him to hush.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that Steve was murdered. His girlfriend was on the phone with him minutes before he was killed and she heard the feint sounds of a woman's voice. My guess is this woman was somehow a rouse to distract Steve so someone else could disarm and kill him.

I'm not saying he was involved, but his chief or superior (guy interviewed in the segment) rubbed me the wrong way. It was almost as if he could care less that Steve was killed.

What's odd to me, is that Steve was still breathing when his chief found him. Why go to the trouble of trying to kill someone if you aren't even going to make sure they're dead?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #21
MegtheEgg86

I want to say that sometime within the past three years whomever took the position of Chief of the MPD had a memorial erected in Steve's honor outside the station. I would like to think that kind of gesture could indicate some fresh air in the department and new sets of eyes to look into things.

I've always had a feeling there is a whole lot more to the Sandlin case than what went into that rather compressed segment. Whether it was for the sake of time, considerations surrounding an on-going investigation, or just plain old tight-lipping from the MPD officers at the time, I guess we'll never know. But I always found it interesting that the on-going investigation by the state's attorney general into the MPD was rather glossed over, and that an assistant attorney general had been fired in the wake. No circumstances are given for that individual's termination at all, and all we know about the investigation was that it focused on the MPD "mishandling evidence".
Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #22
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Isn't the guy who Steve arrested (the huge pot bust) now deceased?
Old 08-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #23
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Here's my view of what happened:

The man that Steve arrested for possession was somehow connected. This doesn't mean he was rich or "mafia connected" but had some connections within the PD. It was a small town, only four police officers, including Steve. Steve mentioned to either his friend or brother (cant remember which) of an uneasy situation about to take place and he asked for his advice. The friend/brothers advice was simply, "tell the truth". This makes me think there may have been some sort of hearing regarding some stuff Steve had uncovered at a state or federal level and those directly in charge of him were trying to get him to hush.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that Steve was murdered. His girlfriend was on the phone with him minutes before he was killed and she heard the feint sounds of a woman's voice. My guess is this woman was somehow a rouse to distract Steve so someone else could disarm and kill him.

I'm not saying he was involved, but his chief or superior (guy interviewed in the segment) rubbed me the wrong way. It was almost as if he could care less that Steve was killed.

What's odd to me, is that Steve was still breathing when his chief found him. Why go to the trouble of trying to kill someone if you aren't even going to make sure they're dead?
I always felt this was the scenario as well
Old 02-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
DALLASTEXAN!!

I just watched this on amazon. Ahhh chief Carson. What a *****.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #25
asmitty
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
This depends on who actually did the deed. There are quite a few cases where, in lieu of a real hitman, a criminal will blackmail someone who owes them money into committing this kind of crime for them. If you've got a semi-willing murderer, then details like this can be missed.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #26
kadrmaskb
Frequent Poster

What is interesting about this case and I agree Chief Carson was somehow involved or had at a bare minimum more knowledge about this case than he was telling. I have read several blog posts on the Officer Down Memorial Page and on various other sites. So many have alleged that Chief Carson either did it or was somehow involved. Also interesting is none of the other members of the Mountain Air Police Department attended Steve's funeral which is very unusual.

However there is more with Carson. Carson is actually connected to another UM case! That of the Eric and Pam Ellender in Sulphur, Louisiana. The prime suspect Chris Prudhomme was found hanging by the neck in his jail cell. Guess who the Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana jail officer who let Prudhomme into the shower? None other than David Carson, formally Chief of Police in Mountainair, New Mexico. Carson is now a Private Investigator in Louisiana.
kadrmaskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #27
kadrmaskb
Frequent Poster

What is sad is it appears little has changed in Mountainair in terms of the police. Though their recently fired chief, Robert Chung who was an NYPD officer for 20 years before coming to Mountainair stated he believed that Sandlin was murdered and lobbied for a memorial to be built. http://krqe.com/2017/01/03/council-m...e-immediately/
kadrmaskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #28
DALLASTEXAN!!

Wow good updates there. Makes you wonder...
Old 02-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #29
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmaskb
What is interesting about this case and I agree Chief Carson was somehow involved or had at a bare minimum more knowledge about this case than he was telling. I have read several blog posts on the Officer Down Memorial Page and on various other sites. So many have alleged that Chief Carson either did it or was somehow involved. Also interesting is none of the other members of the Mountain Air Police Department attended Steve's funeral which is very unusual.

However there is more with Carson. Carson is actually connected to another UM case! That of the Eric and Pam Ellender in Sulphur, Louisiana. The prime suspect Chris Prudhomme was found hanging by the neck in his jail cell. Guess who the Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana jail officer who let Prudhomme into the shower? None other than David Carson, formally Chief of Police in Mountainair, New Mexico. Carson is now a Private Investigator in Louisiana.
Well both of those cases involved weak investigations. No surprise to find him linked. The nerve of him to go on national television and say I think he killed himself or accidentally shot himself. That's quite a variation of possibility. For him to say that and not even consider foul play when the evidence screams foul play? Yeah I'm thinking he was involved to some degree.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #30
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmaskb
WHOA.

I had NO idea about any of this all these years until now. Extremely interesting.