Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #106
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
Just yesterday, I read that he did move out immediately.

Lots of red flags everywhere in this case. What a shame nobody did a thorough investigation. I think it even took them years to finally admit that it was a murder, and Christi hadn't just run away.
I think the investigation was thorough. I always got the impression the Nebraska State Patrol wanted to call it a homicide very early on due to everything we've been talking about here, but were discouraged from doing so by the D.A.'s office, which at the time was reluctant to do so because of the lack of a body.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #107
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I think the investigation was thorough. I always got the impression the Nebraska State Patrol wanted to call it a homicide very early on due to everything we've been talking about here, but were discouraged from doing so by the D.A.'s office, which at the time was reluctant to do so because of the lack of a body.
Did Mark retain custody of the kids after her disappearance?
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #108
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Did Mark retain custody of the kids after her disappearance?
Christi's family fought him for custody immediately after the disappearance, but yes, he ultimately did.

ETA: As far as I understand, Mark and the children moved to a larger city some miles west of Gothenburg a few years after Christi's disappearance, then to Arkansas where they spent many years. Now all three live in Nebraska, but in different cities. Christi's son doesn't live far from Gothenburg. He is 27; her daughter is 29 and has children of her own.

Christi's children also have half-siblings; I assume their mother is probably Mark's current wife.

Last edited by MegtheEgg86; 06-13-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #109
RobinW

Sadly, the recent developments in the Wendy Camp case has made me realize how easily bodies can be concealed as long as the people responsible can keep quiet about it. The only reason they found Wendy, Lisa and Cynthia is because there were multiple people involved in the crime and one of them finally talked. Otherwise, those bodies never would have been discovered.

In Christi's case, there's probably no else who can squeal on Mark. He seems to have hidden her body very well and one rumour is that she was entombed in a railway overpass or construction project. If that's true, they'll probably never find her unless Mark decides to talk and he's been able to keep silent for over 25 years. But I suppose there's always a chance that he'll pull a Chad Noe and brag about it in a drunken stupor someday.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #110
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Even without a body there's still plenty of evidence against Mark. I don't understand how they aren't going after him after all these years.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #111
Apostapler
Forum Regular

I think I saw this plot on a movie once: Have the PD make a fake news report that Christi's remains have been found. Follow Mark. With any luck, he's as dumb as he looks and goes to check to make sure Christi is right where he put her.

Hey, just dreaming.
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #112
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostapler
I think I saw this plot on a movie once: Have the PD make a fake news report that Christi's remains have been found. Follow Mark. With any luck, he's as dumb as he looks and goes to check to make sure Christi is right where he put her.

Hey, just dreaming.
I could totally see him doing it.

I've always wondered if Mark truly thinks he's gotten off scot-free, or if he ever wonders in the back of his mind if he'll be collared some day.

Like RobinW said, he's probably done pretty well to hide her, unfortunately. Although I did always wonder if that "garbage bags at the dump" thing WAS actually how it in fact went down--since it "really got to him".
Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #113
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:

Hey, just dreaming.
It's certainly legal for police to lie to a suspect.I've often thought that a lot of these cases could have been solved with a really tough interrogation.
It seems a lot of times,that wasn't even done.Perhaps there was a rea$on for that.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #114
RobinW

Quote:
You know, I always wondered if this is exactly what the sheriff working on the Tara Calico case was attempting when he publicly announced that he believed two suspects had hit her with their truck and disposed of her body. He might have been hoping that the suspects would panic and go check on her body, leading the police right to it.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #115
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

Quote:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=7799463

I don't know who created this entry, but it seems like it's someone who might have known Christi.

There's a few interesting pieces of information there.

ETA: I recall reading in one of the articles about Christi that Mark was allegedly angry about Christi seeing a counselor. I wonder if the one mentioned here is the same one referenced in the article.
Wow Meg, that's a great find! Quite a bit of info the segment left out too.

Interesting that they argued at Mark's parents' house before going to the bar, and it was bad enough the police were called out. As if he didn't already look guilty enough beforehand!

In the segment, its mentioned that they briefly stopped at a gas station convenience store on their way home. Was Christi seen still alive there I wonder?

Where did the information about him entombing her remains in a construction site come from? If it was a business or a home that was being built circa late 1987, chances are its still there now, but how easy would it be to tear part of it down? And if so, would there be probable cause to go searching?
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #116
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschooler81
Where did the information about him entombing her remains in a construction site come from?
Ninety-eight percent sure that came from an investigator's comment from one of the articles that have been posted in this thread. I don't know if he had reason to believe that this scenario could have been a definite possibility or if he was simply speculating.

Personally, I don't know if I can envision Mark being that clever. On the other hand, he would have to put in much work in hiding her in a more conventional way, and I'm not sure how he could do that so quickly without an accomplice.

At this point, on the night of December 10, 1987, I think Mark and Christi had another argument, and that this time, Mark's violence culminated in Christi's death. I don't think he intended to do it, but it happened. I just don't know when he disposed of her body.

I tend to think it wasn't the early morning of December 11th. I think a huge strike against Mark would be if Diane Janssen would have reported seeing him dirty, disheveled, sweating, or looking otherwise nervous and/or like he'd just completed a substantial amount of physical labor when he returned and paid her, and by all accounts she never did. I have a feeling Christi was in the trunk of the car all night and the next day until some point before the police report was made at 1:37 PM. I just have no idea how or where Mark would get rid of poor Christi in broad daylight--although the area in and around Gothenberg is pretty rural.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #117
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

^ Definitely. For a guy with Mark's intelligence (or lack of, lol), he's unfortunately had a streak of luck all these years. I doubt he'd have been smart enough to even think of that, unless there was a freeway overpass or building under construction in plain sight he just chanced upon?

Yeah, I'm definitely of the theory that they got into an argument sometime after they left the bar but before making it home. You'd think if they'd already previously gotten into it at his parents' house, she wouldn't chance being alone with him again and would've stayed behind at the bar (the same one she worked at).

I totally believe the babysitter Diane, whom says she never heard any trace of Christi. That's a good point about how, if Mark had already done something, she'd have noticed blood or at least him sweating and being disheveled. I'd hate to think she was (in the trunk, maybe knocked out if he punched her) still alive and actually made it back home, only to get finished off in the bedroom, just feet away from her kids and everything. Although, if her blood was both in the car and the bedroom, signs would point to that.

Yeah, no doubt that bogus "driving around looking for Christi" story (between 11:30 when he dropped the kids off, and 1:37 when he filed the report) was when he disposed of her body somewhere. Gothenberg is pretty rural, and there was even less stuff in the oldest Google Earth pic from 1993 (so even a little less than that in '87), but even if he drove her body out of town, you'd think something would've surfaced.

Not sure how credible it is, but was it ever investigated or looked into, about any highway overpasses under construction in late 1987-88 that could be leads?
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #118
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
I tend to think it wasn't the early morning of December 11th. I think a huge strike against Mark would be if Diane Janssen would have reported seeing him dirty, disheveled, sweating, or looking otherwise nervous and/or like he'd just completed a substantial amount of physical labor when he returned and paid her, and by all accounts she never did. I have a feeling Christi was in the trunk of the car all night and the next day until some point before the police report was made at 1:37 PM. I just have no idea how or where Mark would get rid of poor Christi in broad daylight--although the area in and around Gothenberg is pretty rural.
That's an interesting point you brought up that I didn't even realize before. The babysitter did not see him sweaty, dirty, etc. when he paid her that night, and didn't describe any odd behavior (other than Mark was the one who paid her instead of Christi). I'm assuming that the babysitter had seen both Mark AND Christi leave together when they went out, or else she would have said she just saw Mark leave and come back. But didn't they find drops of blood in the bedroom that matched Christi? And Mark said it was menstrual blood, IIRC? If blood was found in the master bedroom that matched Christi, I think Mark would have had to have killed her there. And if the babysitter saw them leave together, that would mean they would have had to have returned together too. Maybe Christi just rushed up to the bedroom, angry at Mark, which is why the babysitter didn't see her?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #119
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Meg , I kinda side with the DA slightly on this one. Its to do with the way some databases work.... if the cops declared it a murder then they wouldnt have been able to enter Christie`s details into missing persons databases therefore if her body turned up anywere in the US it would be difficult to identify her remains ....

By keeping this case as a missing persons case her (Christie`s) details are on databases were unidentified bodies can be matched to missing persons therefore if her body turns up one day a match can be made which might help the prosecution ........

such a similar conundrum has also dogged cases of other missing women across the country most notably one in Texas a few months after Christi went missing .....
DanCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #120
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Maybe Christi just rushed up to the bedroom, angry at Mark, which is why the babysitter didn't see her?
The babysitter said she didnt hear any other footsteps to suggest that Christi may have gone straight to the bedroom after entering the house - therefore it looks like Mark entered the house alone when he went & paid the babysitter , maybe at that point Christi was in the trunk ...
DanCart is offline   Reply With Quote