Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Punky Brewster links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Punky Brewster Photo Gallery

Punky Brewster - Season One

Buy Punky Brewster - Season One on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Two

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Two on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Three

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Three on DVD
Punky Brewster - Season Four

Buy Punky Brewster - Season Four on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Punky Brewster

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
videotrading
Frequent Poster

Default Email from Shout Factory: Update on Season 4

I just got this email from Shout Factory after requesting information on the 6 volume set of Punky Brewster due out next month.

"The Punky Volumes that are coming out are single disc versions of
seasons one through three. It is yet to be determined weather or not we
will be able to release Punky Season 4. If Punky 4 does become an
official release we will post all of the info on our website at
www.shoutfactory.com. "

It sounds like they are having a difficult time getting the rights for Season 4. I THINK we should just keep sending emails so they know people are interested in the show.

Send an email to: info@shoutfactory.com

Or write to them at:

Shout! Factory
2042-A Armacost Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90025"
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
videotrading
Frequent Poster

I am responding to my own post, but does anyone know for certain that the problem with Season 4 is getting the rights?

I was thinking it would be a good idea to start a petition if it was someone at Shout Factory not wanting to release the last season, but I wouldn't do that if it's out of their hands and is an issue with gaining the rights.
videotrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Lastdaysofrain
Frequent Poster

I suspect its a rights issue. Season 4 is not owned by NBC as far as I know, as I'm pretty sure this was when the show started to air in first run syndication.
Lastdaysofrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
TV Knowledge Fan

As we all know, "PUNKY BREWSTER" was originally on NBC for two seasons on Sunday nights (1984-'86). After it was pulled off the network, they wanted more episodes to be able to eventually offer the show in syndication, and approved production of two additional seasons between 1986 and '88, and those are the ones that were presented in first-run syndication. Since NBC owns the rights to the entire series, I don't why there should be a delay in releasing the final season on home video.....

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
videotrading
Frequent Poster

Exactly, there was a long delay between Season 2 and Season 3 because of the rights. However, I think Shout Factory could have bought Season 4 the same time they bought Season 3 because I believe they are owned by the same company.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
robby76
Forum Regular

I'm almost certain Shout bought the rights to Season 4 and 3 together as they were syndicated by the same company.

Why on earth they are re-releasing the first few seasons in single discs when you can find a load of them online anyway is beyond me! Get on with Season 4 I say!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
videotrading
Frequent Poster

Exactly. I think we need to keep emailing Shout Factory so that they know that fans want Season 4.

Write to: info@shoutfactory.com

I hope they aren't holding up the release for extras. I would rather have the last season than wait another year/several months just so they can interview a couple more cast members.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
robby76
Forum Regular

A spokesman from Shout! (B Ward) has commented on the future of Punky on dvd. This was posted in Shouts! forum...

The first season is being broken out into volumes, for those parents and fans that have no desire to purchase season sets.

There are no immediate plans for the fourth season's release, but it's constantly on our radar and we've never stopped discussing it. That's a good sign. The truth is, when we released the first two seasons, we were SLAMMED with emails and phonecalls requesting that we secure the rights to the final two seasons. Once we did, and released Season 3, we were stunned by how few sets it actually sold. This, in no way, has anything to do with our not releasing Season 4, but we're not moving it to the top of our list, as a result either.

I do believe you'll see Punky Brewster: Season 4 released sooner than later.

The full thread is here...

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/196/thread.aspx
robby76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #9
videotrading
Frequent Poster

robby76,

Thank you SO much for passing along this information to us.

I must admit, what they are doing by breaking up the first season and reselling it by disk has to be one of the stupidest things I have EVER heard. To me, it seems like that is a complete waste of money.

This is not a show for kids that aired a year or 2 ago, this show aired 20 YEARS ago, and I am almost positive that most people who are parents (in their 20s and 30s know exactly what this show is. Most of the people who were fans of this show have money to afford it themselves. Why would any kid nowadays (unless shown the show by their parents) would even know what it is?

It amazes me that Shout! Factory paid the money it takes to package each disk separately and expects to make the money back. I went to Amazon.com and the disks are not even available on there.

I think Shout should have changed the outside packaging of PB. Even someone in their 20's or 30's that may have the first two seasons at home and walk by the third in the store, most people wouldn't even get close enough to see it's a third season.

Also, the reply from someone at Shout Factory was really intereting. He stated that they were flooded with phone calls and emails to "get the rights to final two seasons." Then he adds "when we did..." which tells us that Shout DOES have the rights for Season 4.

I say it's petition time!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
robby76
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by videotrading
I think Shout should have changed the outside packaging of PB. Even someone in their 20's or 30's that may have the first two seasons at home and walk by the third in the store, most people wouldn't even get close enough to see it's a third season.
Totally agree... the casual buyer on the street (who would make up the biggest percentage of total sales) would not even realise from a glance on the shelf that season 3 was released. It looks too much like the orangey colour of season 2. I did mention the artwork on the Shout! forum (I'm there as meister).

Some tv dvd collectors also appreciate the packaging artwork as collection pieces. To have 3 dvds looking exactly the same isn't exactly going to stir anyone into starting up a Punky collection - just the diehard fans.

I also feel a few cast interviews would have boosted sales. What about people like Casey Ellison? And Soleil herself? A gag reel? Heck even some more stickers would have been good!
robby76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
videotrading
Frequent Poster

haha yes! I like the idea of more stickers.

I think Shout Factory has the rights to just so many pictures from the show, which I guess is why the cover hasn't been different. I still don't get why they didn't used the pics inside on season 2 & 3 if they did have rights to them. But, oh well.

I found this page with the pictures of all three seasons covers:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/browse/7..._brewster.aspx

Yes, the second season and third look way too much alike. I think they should have gone with a purple or light yellow. Heck, even black would have worked for me. hahaha

Also, I think the delay in releasing the third season didn't help.