Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 AM   #16
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdpg001
hi first time poster, im going to have to agree with the theory that unfortunatly she has probally been killed even though theres a slim chance she may have escaped and is now living a new life
Then let me be the first to say Hola y Bienvenido! (That's Spanish for Hello and Welcome... just trying to shout out a little diversity over here... )

In any case, we're glad to have you!
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #17
trrsdenzel@comcast.n
First Time Poster

Default fabgourmet

Anthonette was my neighborhor's little cousin and we used to play together whenever she was around my house and vice versa. After all these years I never once forgot her or the moment her family told us what had happened to her. There are tons of abandoned mineshafts and natural caves around Sunshine Canyon where I lived and we used to search them as kids looking for her. From what we were told by my neighbor was there was a party goin on that night and maybe that's why she was even awake at that hour and a brown pick up was seen leaving by a neighbor with one man in it around that time. Everyone parties just about in NM so I never questioned that at all. I wish she could be found to provide closure. She was my friend and she was nice and we got along and I think I'm about to cry now.
trrsdenzel@comcast.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:44 AM   #18
fabgourmet
Frequent Poster

A new, 2007 composite has been released of how Anthonette may look now has been released, I found it on a couple of websites.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...nthonette.html

Also, several websites claim that police believe Anthonette was taken out of state immediately upon her abduction but it is unclear why they state that; on her 911 call, she says she is in Albuquerque.

Also, many places mention that police now believe that she is dead. I think, sadly, this may be the case but I don't understand why police state this other than the fact that so many years have gone by with no news and it seems unlikely that she is alive.

Hmmm. Anthonette was born on Xmas day, she would be 31 in just a few days...
fabgourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
GaryJ06
Frequent Poster

As I was reading through the story and subsequent replies, I came up with a couple of theories of my own:

1. I agree with previous posters in saying that this so-called "uncle joe" person could have just been anyone relying on a lucky guess that the family did indeed have an uncle joe. Also could have been a family friend (some children call adults who are family friends aunts and uncles) Also as far as Joe not being a native american name, it isn't but the person could have been native american, but just with an Americanized name.

2. Not sure about the sexual slavery thing, not saying that angle isn't correct, but b/c i am not from the southwest I would have no knowledge of these types of things occurring there.

3. If she was kidnapped for some sort of sexual slavery or prostitution, then there is a distinct possibility that she was moved to Mexico, especially to a more lawless frontier portion of that nation. I think that this would fit in with the description of the psychic, as there are many places in Mexico that could be considered far from any city or town. It would also fit well with the description of one of the men as being hispanic.

4. I just don't know where to fit the help me note. Obviously she would try to get out of the situation, if still alive, and if she had not developed some form of Stockholm Syndrome. If she did leave the note, maybe the kidnapper/kidnappers got wise to her, and subsequently took her south of the border
GaryJ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Yeah they knew the family by the sounds of it. Uncle Joe, I mean that wouldnt be too hard to figure out. Quick, off all of the people you know how many of them do you know the name of at least one uncle? I can think of a ton right off the bat.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #21
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Yeah they knew the family by the sounds of it. Uncle Joe, I mean that wouldnt be too hard to figure out. Quick, off all of the people you know how many of them do you know the name of at least one uncle? I can think of a ton right off the bat.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #22
Mysteryphile
I wonder what happened to her.
Forum Regular

Just to throw my two pence in...

I haven't seen this segment, or if I have it was long enough ago that I don't remember it. I do have a five yr old though and I can tell you they are really observant and full of questions. Would he remember something 5 yrs from now that happened today? He might, but I wouldn't trust it 100%

A few things I have read from the other posters just doesn't make sense. Someone mentioned it was 3 am when the kidnapping occured. This seems odd to me, because I know from experiance young children sleep like rocks (a bomb could go off next to my sons head and he wouldn't wake up) so a knock on the door def wouldn't wake one up. I also find it odd that the two little children would open the door and not go get their parents when they heard the knocking. Nighttime is very scary to little kids, especially when their imagnations are running wild, and I can't see them opening the door.

As for the Uncle Joe thing, I think it was like someone else mentioned...just a lucky guess. Or maybe the guys that did it were scouting out the house for awhile.

I think there is a good chance she might still be alive, but then you have to wonder if she is, why hasn't she contacted her family?
Mysteryphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryphile
A few things I have read from the other posters just doesn't make sense. Someone mentioned it was 3 am when the kidnapping occured. This seems odd to me, because I know from experiance young children sleep like rocks (a bomb could go off next to my sons head and he wouldn't wake up) so a knock on the door def wouldn't wake one up. I also find it odd that the two little children would open the door and not go get their parents when they heard the knocking. Nighttime is very scary to little kids, especially when their imagnations are running wild, and I can't see them opening the door.
I always had a big problem with that, too. What 5 year-old is up at 3 in the morning, let alone answers the door at 3 in the morning? There has to be something in that's not being told in the segment.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
justins5256

Just read this thread. My two cents...

I find it hard to believe she could still be alive all of these years later. I do think it is likely that she was alive for at least a year after the kidnapping, possibly forced into prostitution or child slavery. I do feel that the 911 call was legitimate. If it was some kind of a sick prank, it was pretty ballsy to call 911 since 911 calls are more easily traced. Also, the call came a year after Anthonette was abducted. If it was a prank, it was kind of esoteric since her abduction was probably old news and forgotten by the public at large at that point. I don't know what to make of the restaurant sighting. I think it could have easily been someone needing police assistance (as one poster said), but I'm not entirely convinced that the girl was Anthonette. As for the kidnapping story and "Uncle Joe", I think we have to consider the source and take this story with a huge grain of salt. The abduction could have gone down in an entirely different way, and she's misremembering the details.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
Mastermind

I'll throw my two cents in

1. I'm very convinced that there is much, much more to this story than a simple child abduction. I agree with all posters that I find it hard to believe that Antoinette would have just let in her abductors like that at that time of night. It's almost like she was expecting "Uncle Joe" to arrive at that hour.

2. I have a suspicion that her little sister might have been coached in her story and that the events did not occur as she explained. It seemed just a little to convenient that she starts to open up about this story all of a sudden with such detail and specifics.

3. I don't understand the motive of kidnapping her and keeping her prisoner all this long??? I also don;t understand why Antoinette didn't attempt an escape. If she's brave enough to write that note, she's probably brave enough to chance an escape. I think that story was made up or it was a completly different person looking for help.

4. I really think if you looked into Antoinette's father and her "uncle joe" you'll see some suspicious prior activity.

Essentially what I am saying is that there is a lie or two in this chain, somewhere.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
egswanso
Forum Regular

For some reason, this case has long been one that interested me as well (like fabgourmet, maybe it's b/c anthonette is just a couple months older than i)...

anyway, i have doubts about the sister's story. It's not that I think she's been coached or covering up anything (frankly, I presume that scenario was investigated and eliminated as the first step of any LE investigation), but I find it difficult, if not impossible, to believe that a child would have such a clear memory of events 5 years prior. As some of the other posters have stated, it just doesn't make sense, either. Why would the children hear a 3am knock on the door, but not the mom... moreover, why would they answer it? I know when I was that age (and being the same age, we would have shared some common cultural aspects), I never would have acted in such a manner. Accordingly, I give little to no way to the "Uncle Joe" or two kidnappers aspects of the story.

The waitress sighting, perhaps legit, perhaps not. Eyewitness sightings are notoriously unreliable in the first place. Moreover, if the girl could write "Help me please" on the napkin unobserved by her handlers, why couldn't she have otherwise run off? It doesn't make sense to me: the napkin would indicate a desire to flee, being brought out into public would give the means to flee, yet no real action was, or has been taken.

I put no weight on the native seer, nor any other paranormal "visions"

Lastly, the 911 call. While we have to admit the possability of a cruel hoax (common, sadly), the call was different from many in that the caller provided information (not merely responding to prompts), spoke in a clear voice (not the whispered or garbled voice one oft hears in hoax calls) and is a child (a child, i think, is less likely to commit a hoax than an adult).

If the 911 call is real, it raises the distrubing possability that anthonette was kept alive and against her will for at least a year. I can't see any good motive behind this action and it is logical to presume she had been kept for sexual use.

At this point, however, I have to think Anthonette is likely dead. Even if we presume she was kept alive for some time after the abduction, it would likely only be a matter of time before someone who retained knowledge of her past life and was trying to get help would be more trouble than she was worth. That no further contact attempts have been made in 20 years doesn't bode well. If she is alive, you would have to presume she doesn't remember who she is (through the use of physical and/or psychological torture and/or drugs) and is kept in a state of virtual slavery. It's possible, I suppose, but hard to fathom.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #27
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I don't know much about Anthionette's case. From reading all the posts, I gather that her 5 year old sister opened the door to an intruder at 3:00am? Is this correct?

While that must be quite unusual, I know it does happen. A friend of mine lived in an apartment complex in a not so great part of town. While she was busy in the kitchen at about 9pm, there was a knock at the door. Her 4 or 5 year old daughter was close to the door, she answered it and opened it right up to a stranger who was there to do the family harm.

Luckily, coming out from the kitchen, the mom had a knife in her hand, was a big woman, and was able to force the man out of her house.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #28
Mastermind

Quote:
That no further contact attempts have been made in 20 years doesn't bode well. If she is alive, you would have to presume she doesn't remember who she is (through the use of physical and/or psychological torture and/or drugs) and is kept in a state of virtual slavery. It's possible, I suppose, but hard to fathom.
It should also be noted, that as with Amy Billig, she may be completely on her own away from her captors. She's well over 25 years of age.

For whatever reason Antoinette may not want to return to her family or may not even know who they are.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #29
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
I don't know much about Anthionette's case. From reading all the posts, I gather that her 5 year old sister opened the door to an intruder at 3:00am? Is this correct?
Yes. Anthonette's younger sister Wendy (who I believe was five years old at the time this was supposed to have transpired) relayed this story to investigators five years later, at the age of 10. The reason she gave for not offering this testimony earlier was that because her mother was "crying" (distraught and grieving), she was afraid she would "get in trouble" for telling such a story.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #30
ms_bates
Frequent Poster

Somehow I missed this segment up until today.

I don't like to point the doubting finger at kids, because I know it takes courage for them to come forward when they are scared. But you know, something about the sister's story just doesn't sit right with me. How could a five year old witness something so terrifying and keep it a secret for so long? Surely she would have been questioned by her mother and the police, none of them suspected that she knew more than she was telling? They couldn't see something was bothering her?

Then suddenly at age ten, she comes forward with a very detailed account of what happened that night. What provoked this?

The little sister would now be in her late twenties, I wonder what information she could offer if questioned today.

I just think there has to be something more to this story.
ms_bates is offline   Reply With Quote