Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #46
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Yes, it was mentioned that Bryan liked to go to the water for those kind of reasons, and that was how the accident theory was realized.

I thought it was an unrelated woman walking on the beach with someone else that discovered the foot. I remember something about her saying to her companion that it looked like "someone ran out of their boot" or something like that.
You're right, I read the UM wiki wrong.

Bryan's picture doesn't ring familiar with me, but I do vaguely remember this segment during UM's final run with Stack.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #47
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
You're right, I read the UM wiki wrong.

Bryan's picture doesn't ring familiar with me, but I do vaguely remember this segment during UM's final run with Stack.
I have it somewhere in the depths of storage. Haven't seen it in a very long time. I remember this one being on the OLD old UM site, along with then-unidentified Jasper Wadkins and Judy Smith.

I never got a foul play vibe from it, even with the "threatening phone calls" thing.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #48
lauracrook
celinedionfan89
Frequent Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHorseman
Your right man he looked nothing at all like him,was it that hard to find a guy that looked like Bryan he was a pretty average looking guy really.
I always thought that the actor who portrayed Bryan looked a lot like the late and great actor Brandon Lee!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #49
WishfulDreamer

Bryan's father said it looked as though he had just stepped out of his dorm room and that pretty much nothing was missing. Even though there are some shady things in this case (tight-lipped admins, the harassment from the old friend), I've come to believe this is probably an accident or suicide. It could have been as simple as him going to his favorite spot over the water and falling off, or voluntarily jumping. There's really no evidence to indicate foul play here. It sounds like Bryan was under a huge deal of stress and turmoil at this time. Perhaps he jumped or he wasn't being careful enough due to being distracted and fell.

It's a very sad situation in any case.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #50
dynoguy88

I had forgotten that this case is on the 'Bizarre Murders' batch of DVDs so I went back and watched it, then looked up some links online for some interesting info.

1. Bryan's struggles at college during his first semester had much to do with the architecture program he was a part of. Apparently, it was the university's most rigorous study and he would sometimes be working in the lab until 5 in the morning just to keep up.

2. Around Christmas, Bryan tried to convince his parents to let him move back to Audubon. They resisted and told him to tough it out one more semester and see how he would feel then. Bryan changed his major to English for the second semester, which ended up being perfect for him because he already loved writing poetry. With a new major that was less stressful and something he actually enjoyed, by all accounts, the stress and complaints about the scholastic part of school were now over up until the day he disappeared.

3. Bryan liked to go to the water's edge under the Mt. Hope Bridge often to write his poetry or listen to music. He disappeared in February. I could be wrong but I kind of doubt he would continue going to that spot throughout winter. I have lived in the Midwest my whole life and everyone I know avoids being outside during winter at all costs, especially during January and February when winter is at it's coldest and most miserable. We simply complain and complain and complain until spring comes. Then we're happy to go outside again. Historical weather online says it was 28 degrees in Bristol on Feb. 6, 1997. Maybe Bryan might have long stopped his visits to this spot because of the time of year. Just something to think about.

4. Bryan was last seen leaving his Literature class. The condition of his dorm showed that he probably went back there. When his dorm was eventually investigated, the door was left unlocked, the stereo was left on. Bryan's keys, gloves, glasses and Walkman were left on the dresser. Most puzzling of all, there were piles of sand found in his bed. The condition of the rest of the room would make it seem like he had left temporarily. But I can't come up with a single reason as to why there would be sand in his bed.

5. I know many in this thread have tossed aside the idea of Josh Cohen having any involvement in the disappearance but I'm really bothered by Bryan's last phone call to his father. He was scared, he was frantic, he said, "You need to come up here and get me." But when campus security questioned him the next day, he did a complete 180 and he wasn't willing to talk anymore. Did Cohen have something to do with this change of attitude? I don't like the idea that he could really strike THAT much fear in Bryan's heart in the first place. That doesn't sit well with with me.

When Cohen was first questioned by police about the several threats he made toward Bryan, he denied making them. When questioned a second time by investigators, he changed his tune and said he did make some threats but he tried to write it off as something he and Bryan joked about to each other all the time, not like it was anything serious. I'm not saying Cohen is a killer but something about him just doesn't feel right. Bryan may have initially had problems with school work and homesickness, but this drama with Josh Cohen seemed to be the most intense and stressful part of his life during that last month before he went missing.

6. I guess I can't rule out suicide. But my gut always steers me away from that theory simply because of how close Bryan was with his family. To go right from wanting to come home to then jumping off a bridge seems so extreme. I would be willing to accept his death being an accident over suicide. Again, just a gut feeling.

Last edited by dynoguy88; 09-16-2014 at 08:43 PM.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #51
Necco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
3. Bryan liked to go to the water's edge under the Mt. Hope Bridge often to write his poetry or listen to music. He disappeared in February. I could be wrong but I kind of doubt he would continue going to that spot throughout winter. I have lived in the Midwest my whole life and everyone I know avoids being outside during winter at all costs, especially during January and February when winter is at it's coldest and most miserable. We simply complain and complain and complain until spring comes. Then we're happy to go outside again. Historical weather online for Bristol says it was 28 degrees in Bristol on Feb. 6, 1997. Maybe Bryan might have long stopped his visits to this spot because of the time of year. Just something to think about.
Sorry, I think your midwest is showing. Angsty artistic coastal kids often go to the water/beach in the winter and at night. There's a beauty in the cold air and the open ocean. There's a peace found in watching the moonlight dance on the waves.

-signed, former angsty artistic coastal kid
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #52
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

I should tell posters that I work for a public university in the student affairs division. A lot has changed since 1997. In fact, part of what went wrong in the Nisenfeld case has to do with the by our standards criminal negligence of Roger Williams. It did little to investigate the case and didn't tell Nisenfeld's parents about their boy's disappearance for days. In 2014 this ineptness would be unheard of.

The other part of this case which looks weird to people is Nisenfeld's behavior. It's not unusual for 18- or 19-year-old students away from home for the first time to act in ways which most of us would consider melodramatic. What sounds frantic to Nisenfeld's dad would be on the professional side all in a day's work. Many first-year students confess to problems with roommates, classes, friends, and loneliness. Nisenfeld's sexuality was an additional complication: it's in this febrile mix that he learned about himself, and that's the most heartbreaking irony for me. Many students admit to suicidal thoughts or admit to thoughts that teeter on the verge of suicidal, but few have reasons to think a friend or possible lover would want to kill them. Mrs. Nisenfeld's insistence that this Cohen character must have had 'something to do' with Bryan's death offends me for this reason. I'm sorry, but statistically it's too remote a chance that Cohen murdered Nisenfeld. That's Tennessee Williams "Suddenly Last Summer" twaddle. And I'm gay!

This case, sadly, is the perfect example of an antiquated way of dealing with student stress. University officials were slow or unable to respond, the parents had no idea how to deal with it, and the young man was left to his own devices.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #53
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74
Mrs. Nisenfeld's insistence that this Cohen character must have had 'something to do' with Bryan's death offends me for this reason. I'm sorry, but statistically it's too remote a chance that Cohen murdered Nisenfeld. That's Tennessee Williams "Suddenly Last Summer" twaddle. And I'm gay!
The last time she or her ex-husband talked to Bryan, he was afraid of threats from Cohen. Then a week later, their son disappears forever. I think most parents would have at least raised an eyebrow in that situation and connected those two dots. So I don't find that reaction out of the ordinary, especially for that time frame. Again, it doesn't prove or disprove Cohen being involved, but you have to expect most parents might come to the same conclusion.

I'm gay also but the 'Suddenly Last Summer,' reference swooshed straight over my head. I guess I would have had to seen it (or heard of it) to make the connection. Would you like to enlighten me?
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #54
MegtheEgg86

I don't know about y'all, but I can tell you the song "Suddenly Last Summer" is now stuck in my head after reading these last few posts.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #55
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I don't know about y'all, but I can tell you the song "Suddenly Last Summer" is now stuck in my head after reading these last few posts.
ONE SUMMER NEVER ENDS
Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #56
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
I'm gay also but the 'Suddenly Last Summer,' reference swooshed straight over my head. I guess I would have had to seen it (or heard of it) to make the connection. Would you like to enlighten me?
a Tennessee Williams play in which the gay psychiatrist is eaten by local cannibals whom he'd hit on.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #57
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74
ONE SUMMER NEVER ENDS
ONE SUMMER NEVER BEGAN
Old 09-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #58
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
Sorry, I think your midwest is showing. Angsty artistic coastal kids often go to the water/beach in the winter and at night. There's a beauty in the cold air and the open ocean. There's a peace found in watching the moonlight dance on the waves.

-signed, former angsty artistic coastal kid
On the East Coast? You're strong! (You can tell by my location why I am impressed , even as a fellow former angsty artistic coastal kid).

Dynoguy, you make a good point that he could have stayed away from his favorite spot due to cold weather, but perhaps walking along the shore gave him enough solace to tough out the cold and go. This MIGHT account for the sand on his bed. If he sat on the beach, laid back momentarily and relaxed, his clothing could have sand residue on it. I may be reaching, but I'm very familiar with sand and its peskiness after beach time. Unless it was a disturbingly large amount of sand. That would be just weird. It's too bad he didn't have closer friends, as he was pretty reclusive, who could say where Bryan said he went during this time period.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #59
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

The sand on the bed reminds me of the McFall case and the beer cans around the car: a detail that sounds portentous in context but not really important.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #60
Austin023
Occasional Poster

I know this thread is old but I want to revive it.

This case has long intrigued me---both fascinating yet so sad.
Personally, I am leaning a bit more to the suicide/accident theories. There is just so little evidence to really say what happened, other than confirmation of Bryan's death.
He was under a great deal of stress and perhaps he felt he could no longer deal with it. Unfortunately, suicide in college is not uncommon and a common factor is often severe stress and personal problems of various kinds. Take into consideration Bryan's academic worries, homesickness, the apparent inability to move back home at his fathers insistence and the likely fact he was at least discovering his own homosexuality. He had few close friends and was at a place he may not had liked much--he felt as though he was not fitting in well there at Roger Williams. That's a lot to handle for one going out on his own for the first time.

Now, this "friend" of Bryan's, his name was Cohen, who dropped out after the fall semester yet stayed around the university. I wonder what has become of him since that time?

While the actual nature of their relationship is unclear, there are some things about Cohen that I find interesting at least. Bryans mother had met Cohen at least once and initially thought him to be a regular, "nice guy"--yet later on she had reservations about him and how he seemed to have a certain strong influence over Bryan. If Mr. Cohen's friendship was truly close with Bryan, why does he seem to distance himself after the disappearance? He eventually went home to Georgia, though exactly when I have not found out.
I think the threats to Bryan were real at any rate and that Bryan was indeed scared.
But there is just no real evidence, even circumstancial, to really say Bryan was killed. With so little of Bryan's body recovered, little could be said other than confirmermstion of his death.
Does anyone know what later happened to this Cohen friend of his? The last 19 years of his life might be telling in a way...
Austin023 is offline   Reply With Quote