Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Yes, I agree the former 'friend' had more to do with this. I mean, I suppose it is possible that Bryan either accidently fell into the bay or purposely jumped in. Obviously since the rest of his body was not found it is hard to tell for sure. However I tend to think he was murdered. Now, in terms of the homosexual angle.

Clearly Bryan's relationship, friendship, whatever you want to call it with this Josh Cohen, played a significant role in Bryan's death. There are a few questions here. Was Bryan killed because Cohen wanted to continue their relationship buy Bryan did not? Was Bryan killed because he threatened to out Cohen? It appears 'outing' was the primary motive here. I do agree with the police that Bryan's disappearance and death was related to 'outing'.

However from what I can gather, I agree with other posters in that the police had it backwards. It was not Bryan that was depressed and despondent over being outed by Josh Cohen. Rather it was Josh Cohen that was angry at Bryan because he felt Bryan would not only come out but would out Cohen too. Even if Bryan did not formally out Cohen, if Bryan were to come out, since they were such close friends, Cohen figured it would be assumed by many that he was Bryan's lover and thus gay himself.

To me, it just did not make sense that Bryan was so afraid of coming out, to such an extent that he would call his dad who he was allegedly so afraid would find out about his 'secret' and tell him to come and pick him up from school. I think Bryan while probably not thrilled about the possibility of coming out to his parents, brother and ultimately his hometown, I think he was nearing that point in his life where he was ready to do it. Cohen clearly was not at that point.

Now, I am not saying that Cohen for sure killed Bryan. However he certainly had a strong motive to do so. It appears Cohen was still in denial at times about who he was and certainly did not want his 'dirty little secret' coming out. That appears to be what de-railed their relationship was that Bryan I think was ready to be open about it and Cohen was not. When Cohen realized Bryan was seriously considering coming out and was nearing that point, Cohen started threatening him, trying to intimidate him into silence.

My personal opinion is that Cohen murdered Bryan or at least knows more than he is telling. I am not sure that Cohen necessarily pre-meditated the crime. It could be that it was a crime of passion. I do not know. It could be they met up by the bridge or whatever and Cohen 'lost it' and ended up pushing Bryan into the water. However I tend to think Bryan was killed elsewhere and then thrown into the water. If he had drowned, I think his body would have surfaced. So that tells me he was probably dead before he was in the water.

As his dad said, his dorm room, the way it looked, was just like he had stepped out for a brief period and would soon return. Like it looked like he stepped out to go down to the vending machine for a soda or went to the dining hall for dinner or something. So his room looked like he had just stepped out and was not planning on being away for a lengthy period of time.

I have no doubt that Bryan was probably depressed and homesick. When at home he had been a bit of a homebody, someone that never really strayed far from home or family. The first year of college is difficult for most people because of that very issue. However I think the cops overplayed that angle in trying to make him look like he would off himself. I get that suicide is a problem and is serious but I think that the cops tend to believe folks kill themselves way more than they actually do.

Finally, it was obvious the cops had a bit of a problem in investigating this case due to the homosexual angle, they were obviously uncomfortable with it and did not understand it. It sort of reminds me of when the cops in Milwaukee in 1991 were called to Jeff Dahmer's apartment complex because a naked teenage boy was running around in handcuffs and appeared to be seriously confused. Dahmer came out onto the street all calm and told the cops that the boy was his 19 year old lover (the boy was actually 13 or 14) and that his boyfriend had just had too much to drink and had overreacted while they were playing a sex game. Incredibly the cops who did not like gays and really did not want to deal with the issue gave Dahmer the benefit of the doubt and released the boy into Dahmer's custody. Dahmer killed him later that night. The cops were later fired because in addition to what they did they were overheard on the radio and in conversations joking about the 'drunken *******'. The cops appealed their firing and eventually were re-instated with full back pay and benefits. One of those cops is now the leader of the Milwaukee Police Officers union, the other is now retired with a full pension paid for by taxpayers.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
HHorseman
Frequent Poster

I thought it was odd the cops just took the suspects word for it that the death threat was all just said in jest.

How come they never released the guys name during the show.
HHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #18
Mastermind

Quote:
How come they never released the guys name during the show.
1. Most likely he requested his name not be released. Which is well within his right.
2. It may be info held back so that they can screen tipsters.
3. Keep in mind that he is only a person of interest he is not a suspect.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #19
Mastermind

Quote:
Maybe its time for Law Enforcement agenceys to have Gay, Bisexual, and Lesbian police officers to pursue cases like this one.
They already have.

Washington DC has run a gay, lesbian task community task force for years.

They were one of the first departments to have an openly gay officer in a command posution.

The police department has been ahead of the military for years on this.

New York, Baltimore, Chicago and even Atlanta have such task forces.
There jobs are to specifically answer inquiries and attacks on gay population. They also have liason to internal affairs should it be found out that an officer had refused to help someone or investigate due to sexual preference.

They can even take over a murder case if they feel the lead detective is being biased.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
Corky Kneivel
Forum Regular

delete
Corky Kneivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
Mastermind

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
They already have.

Washington DC has run a gay, lesbian task community task force for years.

They were one of the first departments to have an openly gay officer in a command posution.

The police department has been ahead of the military for years on this.

New York, Baltimore, Chicago and even Atlanta have such task forces.
There jobs are to specifically answer inquiries and attacks on gay population. They also have liason to internal affairs should it be found out that an officer had refused to help someone or investigate due to sexual preference.

They can even take over a murder case if they feel the lead detective is being biased.

I see, but I have never heard of these task force in New York City being talked about on the news or on crime shows
1. Granted, Dick Wolf hasn;t created a Law & Order: GLBT Squad show yet.
Give it some time and I'm sure Dick Wolf will spin one off.

Maybe CSI: San Francisco will come out someday.

Cant's be worse than any of the other CSI shows (including the original)

2. Such squads are usually liason squads that assist in complains and work with the community. They don;t take the lead in major crimes like a homicide.
If a gay man is murdered in DC, it;s still handled by the homicide dept., with the GBLT squad assisting in interviews and canvassing.

3. It should be considered that there are Asian liason squads and other ethnic liason squads in some police departments. These squads don;t get a lot of press either.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
Mastermind

Quote:
Just realized I wrote this.

Technically the above could happen...but I doubt it ever has happened in real life.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #23
Mastermind

Quote:
Just realized I wrote this.

Technically the above could happen...but I doubt it ever has happened in real life.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Bump. This case has always fascinated me, so I'd like to explore possibilities.

1. The article I posted in the previous page mentioned that Bryan's friend (Josh Cohen) had a lot of control over him; or so said Bryan's parents. Just a thought but could Josh Cohen have controlled Bryan since Bryan might have been infatuated with him? Josh might have seen Bryan as simply a friend, yet wanted to take advantage of Bryan's infatuation. When he didn't care for Bryan anymore, he shunned him, which in turn resulted in Bryan's possible suicide.

2. The combination of homesickness and self examination drove Bryan to kill himself. Being on one's own could have pushed Bryan to the edge. He may have come to the realization that he was gay. For some people, they can accept it. Others, sadly, might feel ashamed of themselves. Added with homesickness, perhaps Bryan couldn't take it and killed himself.

3. Like others have said, maybe Bryan might have wanted to out Josh Cohen as gay. Cohen, not wanting to be seen as gay, killed Bryan in a fit of rage.
Zlatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
Kyte
The Greatest
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
Is it a given that Bryan was dismembered? Or is that just the result of nature?

I find it hard to believe that college student would bother and would think to dismembering just to hide the body.
I think he killed Brian. It was probably a crime of passion, which explains the dismembered leg.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #26
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Quote:
1. The article I posted in the previous page mentioned that Bryan's friend (Josh Cohen) had a lot of control over him; or so said Bryan's parents. Just a thought but could Josh Cohen have controlled Bryan since Bryan might have been infatuated with him? Josh might have seen Bryan as simply a friend, yet wanted to take advantage of Bryan's infatuation. When he didn't care for Bryan anymore, he shunned him, which in turn resulted in Bryan's possible suicide.
"Control" was the parents' word for "love." I found the UM clip excruciating for that reason; they could not make themselves admit unbidden that another man loved their son or that their son might have had relations with another man.

Quote:
3. Like others have said, maybe Bryan might have wanted to out Josh Cohen as gay. Cohen, not wanting to be seen as gay, killed Bryan in a fit of rage.
Unless the segment omitted information – I've also read a lot of the reporting –* it's hard to believe this college kid killed Nisenfeld. No evidence points in that direction. I mean: Nisenfeld and Cohen argued, and one or the other was "controlling"? This isn't evidence: it's the stuff of everyday romantic drama. This is another example of UM blowing up what looks like the saddest, most banal kind of end.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #27
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Someone told me that this case parallels that of the recent Tyler Clemente case. Tyler killed himself because he didn't want to be exposed as gay after being spied on by his insecure roommate. Perhaps the same is that of Bryan, or, it's possible his friend didn't want to know about their relationship and then harassed and killed Bryan in a fit of rage. I wonder if anything ever came from that phone call that Bryan's mother received sometime after his death, the one where it was told that a school administrator and 2 faculty members were withholding information about Bryan's disappearance and subsequent death.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Clementi was out to lots of people, including his mom and (of course) roommate.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

I watched this segment for the first time the other day and found it really interesting and underrated.

I think it's highly plausible he could have committed suicide, however...the severed foot seems to say otherwise...or does it??

Is there any possible way a person can commit suicide (presumably by jumping off a bridge?) and have their foot end up severed from their body?

That darn foot seems to be the key to this case, maybe....if the shoe fits....
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

From what I've read in other cases decay and fish will wear down the connection of limbs to torso.