Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #76
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
I actually remember watching the Variety show when it first aired. At the time, I was pretty much starved to see the cast members in something new, having seen every Brady Bunch episode at least once by then. It was exciting to me, like the Gilligan's Island reunion movies. These actors and their characters were already achieving iconic status -- at least to me they were!

To this day I try to see all of their work -- like Robert Reed on Father Knows Best or Russell Johnson on Lassie, two of the harder-to-find appearances I've watched.
Robert Reed appeared on Father Knows Best? Wow, I never knew that.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #77
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Been a long time since I saw RR's ep of FKB (1959). As I recall, the episode had to do with a radio or radio shop -- something to look forward to if Season 6 ever makes it to DVD releases (hopefully in my lifetime yet...!).

Love those Brady actor appearances. Maureen McCormick did a memorable ep of My Three Sons as one of Ernie's classmates; her character was central to the episode (and a good example of her work post-Bewitched and pre-Brady). I also watch for siblings of the Brady kids, like Eve Plumb's sister who did an episode of Dusty's Trail. Lovely woman!
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #78
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
Been a long time since I saw RR's ep of FKB (1959). As I recall, the episode had to do with a radio or radio shop -- something to look forward to if Season 6 ever makes it to DVD releases (hopefully in my lifetime yet...!).

Love those Brady actor appearances. Maureen McCormick did a memorable ep of My Three Sons as one of Ernie's classmates; her character was central to the episode (and a good example of her work post-Bewitched and pre-Brady). I also watch for siblings of the Brady kids, like Eve Plumb's sister who did an episode of Dusty's Trail. Lovely woman!
Did you ever see Eve Plumb in the 80s TV flick The Night the Bridge Fell Down? It reunited her with Desi Arnaz, Jr. who played the bad guy.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #79
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Uhmmmmmm, Eve didn't have a scene with Desi Jr.........Susan and Maureen, even Florence.......but not Eve
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #80
bencasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Yes, mainly she stays out of the limelight (except for public appearances, autograph shows, etc.) and is a single mom raising her teenage son. Plus, of course, she just co-wrote the Variety Hour book.

I just picked up the book. Tons of great pictures in there and I have to say that this must be the most obscure series to ever have a book written about it. What a train wreck. But Monica, maybe you can explain it to me but I just don't get the fascination with the Bradys. Yes, Maureen was gorgeous and the other 2 grew up to be pretty as well. But it wasn't a highly rated show and frankly it wasn't a very good show either. Petticoat Junction, which ran for 7 years had 3 beautiful girls in it as well and that isn't a cult show. Was it the sheer number of kids in the family (6) that made it popular? Just the Ten of Us and Eight is Enough has a lot of kids and those aren't cult shows. Maybe you can explain it to me as it's something I've never understood.

Last edited by bencasey; 12-30-2009 at 03:33 AM.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #81
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey
I just picked up the book. Tons of great pictures in their and I have to say that this must be the most obscure series to ever have a book written about it. What a train wreck. But Monica, maybe you can explain it to me but I just don't get the fascination with the Bradys. Yes, Maureen was gorgeous and the other 2 grew up to be pretty as well. But it wasn't a highly rated show and frankly it wasn't a very good show either. Petticoat Junction, which ran for 7 years had 3 beautiful girls in it as well and that isn't a cult show. Was it the sheer number of kids in the family (6) that made it popular? Just the Ten of Us and Eight is Enough has a lot of kids and those aren't cult shows. Maybe you can explain it to me as it's something I've never understood.
I don't really know!! The Brady phenomenon is something I've never really understood either, but I've always loved it. My former boss used to host a pop culture radio show on the side, and he once loaned me the DVD he had of the show (which had 2 episodes and an interview with Susan Olsen and Mike Lookinland). I loved the other 3 shows you mentioned and I have no idea why they aren't as popular and not out on DVD (or at least syndication).

The book itself is a lot of fun. What detail went into it!! My personal favorite chapter is the one about the Kroftettes. Boy, were they brave! Having both a phobia of heights AND deep water, there's no way I could've done what they did - and kept smiling!!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #82
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Who would've guessed that a Brady show looking like this wouldn't have lasted?
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #83
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Here's what Geri Reischl (Fake Jan) looks like these days - she turns 50 on New Year's Eve and still looks great!!
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #84
bencasey

Yikes, that makes me feel so old. Fake Jan certainly looks a lot better than real Jan does these days.

Speaking of the Bradys, I went to see Maureen when she was on Broadway doing Grease in the mid-90s. Still pretty, still had great hair. I think I got an autographed photo of her that's lying around her somewhere. Hey, do you remember their appearances on the show Star Games? Mid-80s series that was kind of like a weekly version of Battle of the Network Stars. I have a few of them with the Bradys on it.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #85
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Yikes, that makes me feel so old. Fake Jan certainly looks a lot better than real Jan does these days.

Speaking of the Bradys, I went to see Maureen when she was on Broadway doing Grease in the mid-90s. Still pretty, still had great hair. I think I got an autographed photo of her that's lying around her somewhere. Hey, do you remember their appearances on the show Star Games? Mid-80s series that was kind of like a weekly version of Battle of the Network Stars. I have a few of them with the Bradys on it.
Yes, Maureen mentions her Grease gig in her autobiography and there are a couple of photos of her in the book in costume as Rizzo. Never saw Star Games but I'll have to check YouTube and see if they exist there. Thanks for the heads up, Mark!!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #86
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I remember Star Games and seeing the Bradys on it!

Maureen's bio is very heart-wrenching. How she has managed to stay sane in light of what has happened the past several years is utterly amazing.
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #87
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
I remember Star Games and seeing the Bradys on it!

Maureen's bio is very heart-wrenching. How she has managed to stay sane in light of what has happened the past several years is utterly amazing.
Exactly. I for one will never look at the braces episode again without thinking about what happened in her real life to make the tears she cried real.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #88
bencasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Exactly. I for one will never look at the braces episode again without thinking about what happened in her real life to make the tears she cried real.
I haven't read her book but I would have a hard time feeling sorry for someone drop dead gorgeous and talented besides. If she made bad choices in her life, that was her doing. There are many people who don't get to be born beautiful and talented and yet they still manage to have an okay life.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #89
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
I haven't read her book but I would have a hard time feeling sorry for someone drop dead gorgeous and talented besides. If she made bad choices in her life, that was her doing. There are many people who don't get to be born beautiful and talented and yet they still manage to have an okay life.
That's true, and thankfully Maureen was fortunate enough to have a grounded husband, daughter and mother who really helped her over the rough patches. Having struggled with depression and panic disorder almost all my life (I'm 30), I can really relate to some of her problems. Having said that, I never got into drug abuse and have never been nearly as gorgeous as Maureen, so I digress.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #90
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:

Everyone is born with assets and liabilities. No asset insulates you from pain, nor should it eliminate you from sympathy from your fellow man.

Some are born with beauty, some with intelligence, some with health, some with a wonderful family, etc, etc. No one comes into this world perfect, and no one ever intends to become drug dependent, depressed, or emotionally unstable.

For the most part, Ms. McCormick seems to have hurt herself, and for that reason alone she is worthy (and deserving) of my sympathy.