Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Bob Newhart Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Bob Newhart Show Photo Gallery

The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - Season Five

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - Season Five on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Final (Sixth) Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Final (Sixth) Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Bob Newhart Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
gregrob
Frequent Poster

Default Most positive image of a childless couple on TV

One of the reason I love the show is because it shows just how happy and fulfilled a childless couple can really be. With Bob as a psychologist and Emily as a schoolteacher, they worked with patients and pupils who were like their children and didn't need any of their own. So for all cynics out there who label childless couples as "selfish" and don't possibly think they could be fulfilled, you ought to watch the reruns of this show and modify your opinion.
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
mstewart
mstewart

Send a message via Yahoo to mstewart

I like the way the show portrayed them in a positive manner as a childless couple. Not all people are meant to have children and it does not make a woman no less than a woman if she does not give birth and it does not make the couple selfish.
mstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
JAlanRuss72
Forum Regular

Agreed. Bob & Emily Hartley were probably the most positive, well-adjusted couple on TV in the 1970s. They seemed like a real married couple to me.
JAlanRuss72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
mstewart
mstewart

Send a message via Yahoo to mstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAlanRuss72
Agreed. Bob & Emily Hartley were probably the most positive, well-adjusted couple on TV in the 1970s. They seemed like a real married couple to me.
Out of all the TV wives Bob Newhart had in three series, The Bob Newhart Show, Newhart and Bob, Suzanne Pleshette was the best and they seemed to be married to each other in real life. Their relationship was real and genuine. I put that TV marriage in the TV marriage hall of fame along with Rob and Laura Petrie (Dick Van Dyke Show), Lucy and Ricky Ricardo (I Love Lucy - even though Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball was married in real life at the time), Archie and Edith Bunker (All in the Family), Lionel (Mike Evans) and Jenny Willis Jefferson (The Jeffersons), Henry and Muriel Rush (Too Close for Comfort), Steven and Elyse Keaton (Family Ties), and Philip and Vivian (Janet Hubert-Whitten) (Fresh Prince of Bel Air).

Mary Frann and Carlene Watkins did not, to me, had the right chemistry with Bob Newhart as Suzanne did. From what I understand the viewers were not happy with Carlene Watkins as Bob's TV wife because she was so young. They decreased her airtime because of the letters they got of the age gap between Carlene and Bob.

Last edited by mstewart; 01-04-2007 at 11:27 PM.
mstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

I think they made a terrific couple and having children would have sent the
show in a totally different direction. It probably wouldn't have been as good.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
CAJeannieFan57
Forum Regular

Great thread....I totally concur, Bob and Suzanne had a great chemistry. While they seemed to be married to each other, Bob had been married to Ginnie for years and by the end of the TBNS series, they had 4 kids. (The third was born at the beginning of the series and the 4th was born at the end.) Suzanne had been married to her first Tommy for awhile, too. (He died in 2000 and she then married Tom Poston a couple of years later.) But they remain friends to this day - that whole cast does.

The proof of the pudding regarding the audience reaction to Bob's TV wives came out at the end of Newhart (the innkeeper series), when he woke up in bed and Emily comes out from under the covers. The way the live audience screamed and squealed in delight, told us all that everyone thought the chemistry was right between Bob and Suzanne, and all wrong between Bob and Mary Frann (RIP).

Regarding children....Howard was their child, in a way. He could be so child-like. Also, Bob told the producers right off, he did not want to be a dad in this show. He loves kids (good thing, he has 4! and I lost track of how many grandkids), but didn't want to do a show where the kids always shine over Dad and make him look stupid. So Howard became their kid.

Donna
An I Dream of Jeannie Fan Website
CAJeannieFan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
friendsfan77
-

Bob and Suzanne rocked! Liked Mary Frann too.
friendsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Just like the Mary Tyler Moore Show changed the view of single women, the Bob Newhart Show did for childless couples. Some couples just don't want kids, and I don't see anything wrong with that. The show was fine enough without kids, and why did they need kids when they had Howard Borden next door? Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshette were great together, and Bob was also great with Mary Frann.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Ohio8
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob
One of the reason I love the show is because it shows just how happy and fulfilled a childless couple can really be. With Bob as a psychologist and Emily as a schoolteacher, they worked with patients and pupils who were like their children and didn't need any of their own. So for all cynics out there who label childless couples as "selfish" and don't possibly think they could be fulfilled, you ought to watch the reruns of this show and modify your opinion.
I agree!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Just like the Mary Tyler Moore Show changed the view of single women, the Bob Newhart Show did for childless couples.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Miscellaneous Musings

Pictures of Beautiful Women

Top model Pat Cleveland has colon cancer and needs help to pay for treatment. Go to her GoFundMe page here: https://www.gofundme.com/pat-cleveland-fund
Steve M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
gopyle
Frequent Poster

Very happy they did not have any kids on the show. There is a place for shows with kids, but The Bob Newhart Show would have suffered greatly if they had added some offspring in my opinion.
gopyle is offline   Reply With Quote