Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Reality Shows Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Reality Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default 'Survivor' Winner Indicted on Tax Charges

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Richard Hatch, who won $1 million on the first season of the reality show "Survivor," was indicted Thursday for failing to pay taxes on his winnings from the CBS show.

Hatch faces 10 charges, including tax evasion, filing a false tax return, wire fraud, bank fraud and mail fraud. U.S. Attorney Robert Clark Corrente said Hatch, 44, did not pay taxes on his "Survivor" prize, income from a radio show and rental income. The Newport resident also allegedly used donations to his charity, Horizon Bound, to cover personal expenses.

Prosecutors charged Hatch with two counts of tax evasion in January. He agreed to plead guilty, but backed out of the deal in March, saying he thought CBS was responsible for paying the taxes on his prize. CBS has said Hatch was well aware of his obligations to pay taxes on the money.

On Thursday, Hatch was on a plane headed for Houston to help hurricane victims at the Astrodome and could not be reached for comment, said Rod Mitchell, a spokesman for Hatch's lawyer, Michael Minns.

The grand jury, which received the case after the plea deal fell apart, indicted Hatch for filing false 2000 and 2001 tax returns, which omitted his income from the reality show, $327,000 he was paid to co-host "The Wilde Show" on a Boston radio station and $28,000 in rent on a property he owns in Newport.

The indictment said Hatch had two accountants prepare tax returns that included his "Survivor" winnings but did not file them when he learned he would owe hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes. In 2002, he had one of the accountants prepare a second return that did not include his TV show winnings. He filed that one, which called for a $4,500 refund, the indictment said.

Hatch was also accused of misusing $36,500 from a nonprofit camp he set up, Horizon Bound. For example, he allegedly kept for himself a $10,000 donation made in return for his appearance on the NBC game show "Weakest Link." He spent the money from the game show on a construction project at his house, the indictment said.

Hatch faces a maximum of 75 years in prison if found guilty on all charges. He also could face millions of dollars in fines.

On "Survivor," Hatch stood out for being a cunning and ruthless competitor, and spent some of his time in the nude. He won the show's first season in August 2000. He has since appeared on other TV shows, most recently the "Battle of the Network Reality Stars" on Bravo.

Since the TV show, Hatch has weathered a series of legal battles. He was arrested in April 2000 on a charge of abusing his then 9-year-old son. That charge was later dropped. In 2002, Hatch was found innocent of assaulting his ex-boyfriend.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
vienna waits
Forum Celebrity

this is unrelated but ethan zohn is coming to my college next tuesday. wooooooo
vienna waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
Melonhead00
#00 Teshawn Edmonds
Forum Regular

Yeah! To no one's suprise. I'd bet that cheapskate would pay Uncle Sam soon or later.
Melonhead00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Rachel3118

It's intreasting that this is just now becoming a problem. You think they would have made him pay it along time ago. He doesn't seem to be able to handle alot of moey well.

Rachel3118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Rachel3118

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna waits
this is unrelated but ethan zohn is coming to my college next tuesday. wooooooo
That's exciting, he's one of my favorite survivors!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
TripperFan
In God's Arms Now
Forum Veteran

Oh No

What a bonehead. More than that, he's a super creep for the charity fraud. I knew there was just something "wrong" about him. He makes Susan look like Mother Theresa. It'll really look good on him if the fines end up being more than the total income. A couple of years in the cooler might do him some good too. At least he won't mind bending over for the soap (I'm hearing the "Merry Old Land of Oz" song from Family Guy in my head....)

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
TripperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Rachel3118

He always did seem like a creepy, but this makes it alot worse.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

'Survivor' winner Hatch set for courtroom showdown

Fri Sep 09, 8:12 PM ET

He was the first "Survivor" -- the much-vilified, nude-fishing champion of the first series in the hit reality-television show. Now, Richard Hatch faces the challenge of a lifetime to avoid federal prison.

Hatch, who claimed the $1 million jackpot on "Survivor" on a South Pacific island in 2000, plans to plead innocent to charges of tax evasion and bank fraud announced against him this week, his lawyer said on Friday.

"This is a publicity scheme and it's disgusting," attorney Michael Minns said, adding that Hollywood and the federal government lacked clear tax guidelines for winners of reality TV shows.

Prosecutors accuse Hatch, a motivational speaker, of failing to report the $1 million winnings in 2000 and about $391,000 he earned from half a dozen other sources.

The 10-count indictment says Hatch prepared but failed to file tax returns for 2000 which concluded he owed about $442,000 and that he also pocketed $36,500 in personal appearance money given to him for charitable donations.

ADVERTISEMENT

If convicted on all counts, the 44-year-old Newport, Rhode Island, native would face a maximum fine of $1.35 million and 73 years in prison.

Hatch was viewed by some as a brash, manipulative schemer but grudgingly admired by others for his savvy and determination to win. He and other contestants on the first "Survivor" helped launch reality shows as a television phenomenon.

The indictment follows a grand jury investigation that began in March when Hatch backed out of a deal with prosecutors to plead guilty to two tax evasion charges that carried a maximum 10-year jail sentence and a $500,000 fine.

Minns said CBS, which broadcast the show, should have withheld federal taxes because the network should have classified him as an employee under California law. He said the federal government also must shoulder some blame.

"They need to develop some specific treasury regulation rules like they have on gambling, lotteries and things like that, because there is mass confusion on it," said Minns.

CBS, a unit of Viacom Inc., has said Hatch was responsible for declaring his winnings and paying his taxes.

Hatch was not immediately available for comment. Minns said he was in Houston helping refugees from Hurricane Katrina.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote