Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Home Economics Is a Solid Addition to ABC’s Comedy Block; Mr Inbetween Season 3 Premiere Date Set
Aidy Bryant Comedy Shrill's Final Season; ABC's Sesame Street: 50 Years of Sunny Days
Superstore Star Lauren Ash Signs Development Deal with NBCUniversal; Jenna Dewan Joins New CBS Dance Series
NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver


New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Family Ties Forever!
Member
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
Family Ties Forever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 16, 2002
Location: Keaton residence
Posts: 10,208
Post 10 Best TV Sitcoms Of The 80's

Quote:
http://www.screenjunkies.com/movies/...ms-of-the-80s/

Monday January 24 , 9:05 amBreakstudios

10 Best Television Sitcoms Of The 80's
The ten best television sitcoms of the 80's were shows that when thought about now cause fond memories to surface. When trying to remember these sitcoms, a little help was needed to pick the most loved ones. So, via Facebook polling, here is a list of ten best television sitcoms from the 1980’s.

1. “Roseanne.” “Roseanne” was aired from 1988 until 1997. Starring Roseanne Bar and John Goodman, this 1980’s sitcom centered on the Connor Family. “Roseanne” is a very real show about the mishaps and events involved with a working class family.

2. “Who’s the Boss.” “Who’s the Boss” stars Tony Danza, Alyssa Milano, Judith Light and Katherine Helmond. Airing a long stretch of time between 1984 and 1992, this sitcom from the eighties was about a single father who became a live in housekeeper for a single mother. Between the four of them, and Angela’s mother, life is quite interesting and eventful.

3. “Family Ties.”“Family Ties” aired from 1982 until 1989. Starring Michael Gross, Meredith Baxter, Justine Bateman and Michael J. Fox, this sitcom is about a couple of ex-hippies who are trying to raise their three kids. But, their kids have very different views. Obviously, the family faces many obstacles and conflicts with each episode. “Family Ties” was one of the best television sitcoms of the eighties.

4. “Cheers.” “Cheers” was one of the best sitcoms in the eighties. Airing from 1982 until 1993 and starring Ted Danson, Kelsey Grammer, Woody Harrelson and many more, this sitcom is centered in a bar called “Cheers.” “Cheers” the bar sees many different characters come and go. Each day, “Cheers” sees the same regulars who have become somewhat of a little family after spending so much time together.

5.“Married with Children.” “Married with Children” aired from 1987 until 1997. Starring Ed O’Neill and Katey Sagal, this television sitcom of the eighties is about your typical “white trash” family just trying to make it. Al Bundy sells shoes, while his money grubbing wife spends all his money on her material things. Their kids are no better, as one of them is a complete airhead, and their son is self absorbed and (like most teenage boys) always chasing after girls.

6. “Alf.” Starring Paul Fusco as “Alf,” this show aired from 1986 until 1990. “Alf” was a 1980’s sitcom about a furry alien from the planet Melmac who lives with the Tanners. The Tanners are a normal family, but end up having quite a time trying to keep Alf a secret.

7. “Full House.” “Full House” aired from 1987 until 1995. Starring Bob Saget, Dave Coulier, John Stamos. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson, "Full House" was a funny sitcom about a single dad trying to raise his three kids alone when his sister’s brother. The six of them end up being a real family, with all the mishaps that go hand in hand with family.

8. “Growing Pains.” “Growing Pains” aired from 1985 until 1992. Starring Kirk Cameron, Alan Thicke and Joanna Kerns, “Growing Pains” is also one of the best television sitcoms in the eighties. “Growing Pains” is another sitcom about two parents raising their four kids and the kids seem to do nothing but find trouble.

9. “The Cosby Show.” “The Cosby Show,” starring Bill Cosby, aired from 1984 until 1992. “The Cosby Show” is one of the best television sitcoms from the eighties. A doctor, his wife and their five kids really show us what parenting with humor means.

10. “Silver Spoons.” “Silver Spoons” aired from 1982 until 1987. It stars Rick Schroder as Ricky Stratton, a twelve year old boy who moves in with his millionaire father. Ricky seems to be the one raising his father though, because his father loves his money and toys. But in the end, they both end up teaching each other life lessons.
__________________
Jenny
Family Ties Forever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran
 
comedyfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 14, 2005
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 10,883
Default

I'd replace Growing Pains and Alf with:

The Golden Girls:1985-1992 Four previously married women live together in Miami, sharing their various experiences together and enjoying themselves despite hard times.

227: 1985-1990 This series took place in an apartment building, numbered 227. The cast would frequently be found sitting outside on a large set of stone stairs, in some discussion that would unfold into the weekly plot line.
__________________
www.facebook.com/comedyfreak
comedyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
tvparadise
Member
Forum Regular
 
tvparadise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 18, 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 298
Default

I really think of 'Roseanne', 'Married...with Children', and 'Full House' as more 90s shows than 80s.
tvparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
thebigcookie
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvparadise
I really think of 'Roseanne', 'Married...with Children', and 'Full House' as more 90s shows than 80s.
I agree with that. Those shouldn't be there. They are 90's shows. And why is The Cosby Show number 9? It should be higher. And where are Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life? They should be on there as well.
thebigcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
PrettyinPink55
Member
Forum Veteran
 
PrettyinPink55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 24,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigcookie
I agree with that. Those shouldn't be there. They are 90's shows. And why is The Cosby Show number 9? It should be higher. And where are Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life? They should be on there as well.
I completely agree with everything that's been said.
The Cosby Show should be higher!!
Where's The Golden Girls??!!
No The Facts of Life or Diff'rent Strokes???
I agree about Roseanne, Married...With Children, and Full House being 90's shows too.
As much as I love Alf and Silver Spoons, I wouldn't put them in the top 10...
__________________
PrettyinPink55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
dlemond
Hey, I know you.
Moderator
Senior Member
 
dlemond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvparadise
I really think of 'Roseanne', 'Married...with Children', and 'Full House' as more 90s shows than 80s.
I agree.

And what about:

Newhart
Night Court
Mr. Belvedere
Golden Girls

Silver Spoons is better than these shows?
I'm not a even a fan of Golden Girls but it's obvious it is a better all around show than Silver Spoons.
dlemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
dakert
Member
Senior Member
 
dakert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10, 2007
Location: Altoona PA
Posts: 3,077
Default

The best sitcom of the 80s was "The Golden Girls"

Did anyone mention "The Facts Of Life"?
dakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Buffyboy323
Member
Senior Member
 
Buffyboy323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 24, 2005
Posts: 6,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvparadise
I really think of 'Roseanne', 'Married...with Children', and 'Full House' as more 90s shows than 80s.
Absolutely. They started in the 80s, but most of their time, and arguably their best years and biggest impact on pop culture happened during the 90s.

I can't believe Diff'rent Strokes, The Facts of Life, and The Golden Girls weren't even mentioned.
Buffyboy323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
retrofan05
Member
Senior Member
 
retrofan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 25, 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,110
Default

The fact that The Golden Girls didn't even make the list is beyond ridiculous! It should have been #1 for sure. The Facts of Life should also have been on the list.
retrofan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran
 
Marvo301's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17, 2002
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 21,044
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyboy323
Absolutely. They started in the 80s, but most of their time, and arguably their best years and biggest impact on pop culture happened during the 90s.

I can't believe Diff'rent Strokes, The Facts of Life, and The Golden Girls weren't even mentioned.
Diff'rent Strokes got it's start and arguably had it's best seasons in the 70's and so most people probably associate it with that decade. And since FOL was a spinoff of Diff'rent Strokes I think it gets lumped into that category as well. (Even though the majority of FOL's run was actually in the 80's)
__________________
Only a life lived for others is worth living. Albert Einstein

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
Buffyboy323
Member
Senior Member
 
Buffyboy323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 24, 2005
Posts: 6,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Diff'rent Strokes got it's start and arguably had it's best seasons in the 70's and so most people probably associate it with that decade. And since FOL was a spinoff of Diff'rent Strokes I think it gets lumped into that category as well. (Even though the majority of FOL's run was actually in the 80's)
I can see your point, but Diff'rent Strokes aired in the 70s for just a year and a half - 39 out of 189 episodes. I do think the show had it's biggest impact in the 70s, because of all the uproar when they show first started.
Buffyboy323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
Buffyboy323
Member
Senior Member
 
Buffyboy323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 24, 2005
Posts: 6,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofan05
The fact that The Golden Girls didn't even make the list is beyond ridiculous! It should have been #1 for sure. The Facts of Life should also have been on the list.
Could it be the list seems so out of whack because it was done via Facebook polling?
Buffyboy323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.