Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso Wins Big at The Emmys; CBS Expands Ghosts Premiere to One-Hour; Remembering Willie Garson of Sex and the City, Director Jay Sandrich
TBS, TNT and truTV Launch Fall-O-Ween, a Programming Block of Halloween Classics; HBO Max Comedy from Mindy Kaling Debuts November 18
Paramount+ Renews Rugrats for 2nd Season; Eva Longoria Producing Disney Sci-Fi Comedy
Family Guy, King of the Hill, The Cleveland Show and Futurama Joining FXX; HBO Max's Ten Year Old Tom Details
73rd Primetime Emmy Awards Winners; Turner Celebrates Latinx Heritage Month with George Lopez, Tacoma FD and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 20, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Comes to an End; FXX Goes Full Blown Animation Domination with New Acquisitions

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June-September)

Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Deluxe Edition (100 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Standard Edition (50 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/24 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season 2
09/07 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
09/21 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #106
5thcorps
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
Christina Rossetti wrote that poem as a teenager in 1849, which sort of predates the cliches and soap operas.
So that's where they get their scripts from!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #107
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Having reached the 30th anniversary of the murder a couple months ago, there's some interesting links online.

This one, 'Who Killed Tracey?' from Frederick Magazine seems to have the most info. And it's not all good. It seems there was so little done for sooooo many years in regards to DNA by investigators and they blamed it on money. We all know the drama with Don Barnes Jr. And I'd hate to think these people were just talking out of their asses in order to protect him. But it's gets harder and harder to not think of anything else.

Quote:
The department has resubmitted some evidence for DNA testing. “We are looking at the new wave of DNA testing and what is required for it,” Alcorn says. “[There are] limitations. The limitations of the testing. The case is 30 years old. A lot of the evidence has already been tested. We are starting to run into a situation where we don’t want to test something unless we know we are going to get the result we want back. When I say that, we don’t want to test something and then they come back and say, ‘Sorry. It’s inconclusive.’ We want some type of resolution to this case, whether, ‘Yes, this is the person’ or ‘No, this is not the person.’ We want to be able to send something down to the lab and say, ‘Yes, this belongs to this person’ or ‘No, it does not’ 100 percent rather than, ‘Oh, it’s inconclusive,’ because inconclusive doesn’t really help us with the investigation at all.”

Billy Kirkpatrick says his frustration with the case might have been felt by the previous detective on the case. “He told me the same thing,” he says. “No money. We have to wait until we get money so we can send something to the lab. That’s all they have done for the last 10 years is send stuff to the lab. Same old thing.” Thirty years is a long time to hear no one has been arrested for your daughter’s murder. “A lot of times you talk to them and nothing would have been done in a year or two years, and all of the sudden they send something to the lab,” he says. “… Nothing has been done but lab stuff.”
Also, a GoFundMe page has been set up by Frederick resident who wants to not only portray the case but to celebrate Tracey's life. He asked for and was granted permission by the Kirkpatrick family to do this project. Unfortunately, after three months, only $1,745 of the $15,000 goal has been collected.

Here's the link to the magazine article...

https://www.fredmag.com/who-killed-tracey/

And the link to the GoFundMe page. Please spread this link to as many people as possible to get the word out.

https://www.gofundme.com/the-silent-...ey-kirkpatrick
dynoguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #108
thinwhiteduke74
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Christina Rossetti wrote that poem as a teenager in 1849, which sort of predates the cliches and soap operas.
Rossetti wrote better ("Goblin Market"), but let's also remember that Kilpatrick was a teen and like most teens she confused the trite and morbid for the profound.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #109
5thcorps
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke74 View Post
Rossetti wrote better ("Goblin Market"), but let's also remember that Kilpatrick was a teen and like most teens she confused the trite and morbid for the profound.
Exactly right
5thcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:29 AM   #110
jbjr56
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I always found it super creepy when they have some narrator (Woman or Man) read a note, poem, letter, etc.
jbjr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #111
Latka Gravas
Frequent Poster

This TK segment was both extremely sad & also somewhat creepy, re: the poem by Christina Rosetti.

Obviously, the person who called and "confessed" was a false lead. It sounds like a red herring, as we've seen in many of these cases. The guy sounded like a nutcase.

I don't have any ideas on who actually killed TK. It sounds like the security guard was a good suspect, but at the same time there is no real proof.
Latka Gravas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #112
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

So the guy who contacted the psychic was just a local guy who had interest in the case, and was cleared by law enforcement (according to the text update on Prime). I did find an interesting tidbit on the Frederick Magazine article linked above by dynoguy:

Quote:
Tracey had been late coming home to Point of Rocks the night before, too. On that evening Billy drove up to Frederick thinking her car, which had been having mechanical issues, needed to be fixed. He found Tracey talking to a boy she had dated. The two decided to get back together that night. Her parents warned her to call them if she was going to be late.
Also:

Quote:
Instead, the murder investigation focused on two suspects, both of whom knew Tracey. Detectives who previously worked on the case believed there was enough circumstantial evidence for a grand jury indictment, but an actual conviction might have been elusive. To avoid a suspect being protected by double-jeopardy, the indictment was not pursued in order to give future investigators the opportunity to obtain more evidence.
This, coupled with an investigator's comment from a 1994 article about him believing her killer was a student who knew her from her high school, makes me think that her boyfriend is the other suspect. IMO, not enough attention has been paid to him, and the focus has been squarely on the security guard, Don Barnes.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #113
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
So the guy who contacted the psychic was just a local guy who had interest in the case, and was cleared by law enforcement (according to the text update on Prime). I did find an interesting tidbit on the Frederick Magazine article linked above by dynoguy:

Also:

This, coupled with an investigator's comment from a 1994 article about him believing her killer was a student who knew her from her high school, makes me think that her boyfriend is the other suspect. IMO, not enough attention has been paid to him, and the focus has been squarely on the security guard, Don Barnes.
Unless Tracy changed her mind in the span of a few days and decided not to get back together with this old boyfriend, then getting into an argument and knifing her (as was suggested during the 'Confession' Call) sounds a bit far fetched.

OTOH, if this old boyfriend had a reason/reasons for wanting her dead, he could've gotten back together with her as a ruse - in order to lure her into a false sense of security before he killed her (he could've showed up late one night, gotten her into the storeroom to make out/fool around & then stabbed her out of the blue).

Either way, it'll take either DNA evidence and/or someone with a guilty conscience to break this open I think
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #114
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Looks like the documentary of Tracy will be released sometime in 2021, appropriately titled; "Into the Silent Land." It was funded largely thanks to donations from Tracy's former classmates.

There's a short trailer featured on it's official website where you hear quotes about politics and coverups. Looks like they'll be allowed a little more freedom to discuss the most obvious suspect, whereas Unsolved Mysteries had to withhold the fact that the security guard who "found" Tracy's body was named Don, who had a former roommate named Sean.

I'm extra curious to know if Don Barnes Jr.'s daughter will be interviewed.

https://www.intothesilentland.com/
Old 07-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #115
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

I was just listening to the Re-Solved Mysteries Podcast covering this case and they mentioned a good point.

It was mentioned that indictments can be brought up on both of the major suspects (Don Barnes Jr. and the classmate of Tracy's that has never been named) if either suspect was brought in and later released due to insufficient evidence, prosecutors would not be able to bring up charges against them a second time. So, to avoid a suspect being protected by Double Jeopardy, it's said that investigators kept the case open in order to give future investigators more evidence that could secure a conviction.

That makes sense but only up to a certain point. 32 years have now passed, so how much longer are you going to wait for people to hopefully discover more evidence until you just take a chance and indict this person, who will just keep aging, (Don Barnes is now 57) and just bring him to trial? At what point do you just give it a try and see what happens?

I ask because I feel so desperately sorry for Tracy's mother, Diane. With so many years passing and the killer remaining free, the emotional toll it's taken on Diane has been severe. She mentioned in an article several years ago that she's basically become a hermit in her own home, refusing to ever leave unless her other children take her out.

Tracy's parents are now in their late 70's and I want this huge weight taken off their shoulders BEFORE they die.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:53 AM   #116
Pelham Bay
Occasional Poster

Quote:
... if either suspect was brought in and later released due to insufficient evidence, prosecutors would not be able to bring up charges against them a second time. So, to avoid a suspect being protected by Double Jeopardy, it's said that investigators kept the case open in order to give future investigators more evidence that could secure a conviction.
Prosecutors can charge a suspect as many times as they want to. Bringing someone in and releasing them due to lack of evidence does not count toward the double jeopardy statute.

Double jeopardy only applies when a suspect is arrested, charged, tried and acquitted.
Pelham Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #117
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham Bay View Post
Prosecutors can charge a suspect as many times as they want to. Bringing someone in and releasing them due to lack of evidence does not count toward the double jeopardy statute.

Double jeopardy only applies when a suspect is arrested, charged, tried and acquitted.
Good to know. That you for that correction. But I'm still annoyed that so many years pass and we don't seem to get any progress.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #118
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

I am trying to recall the details as to why the security guard is a suspect in the case. I do remember some online gossip about the police department covering for the killer, and that the sheriff at the time was the security guard's father, but other than that and being the one to find Tracy's body, what other evidence has been released (if anything) that makes people believe he's the prime suspect? Because from what I can gather from tidbits and remarks made by law enforcement and even district attorney's, is that this case was looked at extensively in the 90's and early 2000's and DNA testing which led nowhere.

It should also be noted that the Frederick City police were the ones tasked with investigating Tracy's murder, and not the Frederick County Sheriff's Department. It would seem weird to me that all of these people would be involved in covering up a murder to appease the county Sheriff (who has been dead for over a decade). I also found an interesting tidbit from a since removed article from 2009, in which the second detective working the case was convinced that an older acquaintance of Tracey's was the killer, and that this was the person who was under the grand jury investigation (of which 2/3 voted to indict), but the prosecutor at the time declined to indict him. This is what he meant when he said:

Quote:
"What derailed the process was politics and personal agendas," Servacek said. "Certain individuals did not do their jobs and derailed the case."
It had nothing to do with the Sheriff's department, but rather the prosecutor at the time not wanting to ruin her political aspirations. He said pretty much the same thing in this article from 1995.

Quote:
A retired Frederick City police detective who spent two years investigating Tracey Kirkpatrick's murder says the county state's attorney s office is not vigorously pursuing prosecution of the man he believes killed her.

A grand jury convened in June 1994 to hear evidence in the Kirkpatrick Case voted to indict the suspect but Deputy state's attorney Julie Stevenson declined to prosecute said former detective Robert Servacek.

"For 3 months 46 people were paraded in front of the grand jury in May of 1994, Miss Stevenson told me she had a two thirds vote of grand jury when you only need 50 percent to", he said. "However because Miss Stevenson was concerned she would not be able to convince a trial jury where a unanimous decision must be gotten she declined to indict", he said.

Servacek said the prosecutor's office has not taken the time to prepare a case against the man who they believe killed Miss Kirkpatrick. State's attorney Scott Rolle however said he does not believe his office has enough evidence to convict a suspect and he will not take the case to trial until he does. Rolle warned in a telephone conversation Monday that anyone who releases information about grand jury proceedings can be prosecuted and fined. Miss Stevenson refused to comment on the Case. Miss Kirkpatrick 17, was stabbed to death March at the former Aileen's ladies sportswear at 1019 W. Patrick St in the Westridge Square shopping Center a resident of Point of rocks she had been a part time employee for a month and was closing the store for the first time the night she was murdered.

Servacek, retired from the police department since July, said, "It is a real mystery to me why I can't get the State's Attorney's Office to to work this case the way I feel it should be. It always seems one thing after another interfering with proper preparation of the case." He said, "I do realize they're busy but so was I. For two years I have lived this case every day. Even though I am retired I think of the case daily. The overwhelming evidence goes through my mind constantly. And the baffling thing to me is why can't I get somebody to understand what happened and put the killer where he belongs. I have tried through two administrations to get them to understand that whoever is assigned this case can do nothing else. I need a prosecutor who will sit down with me five days a week eight hours a day for at least one month or so", Servacek said.

Servacek said he has no doubt who committed the murder and that if the truckload of circumstantial evidence in the case is presented properly a conviction can be obtained. "If you look at the entire case and the investigation and if people say what they said before and say it articulately, an indictment is from 200 to 250 pieces of circumstantial evidence exists in the case", said Servacek, "and when one piece is linked to another what you get is a picture of a but to do that it takes time", he said adding that the State's Attorney's office only met with him once a week for an hour for three months and that's not enough.
Doesn't sound to me like the police were trying to cover up for anything, because they were the ones adamant about prosecuting but the State's Attorney's office declined to do so. Also from that article, Servacek makes no bones about who he believes is responsible:

Quote:
The suspect is in his mid to late 20s and lived in Frederick City with his family at the time Miss Kirkpatrick was murdered. The suspect was one of Tracey's acquaintances, a former coworker, and one in a circle of mutual friends but the suspect was a few years older. The suspect did not attend high school with Miss Kirkpatrick they said. "Jealousy, anger, and revenge", was the motive for Miss Kirkpatrick's murder said Servacek. "The anger which must have built up over a broken relationship must have been tremendous. Tracey considered the suspect a friend but only a friend. The suspect read too much into the relationship and wouldn't let it go. He continued pursuing her to the point where she finally tried telling him that she only wanted to be friends and nothing more and this he couldn't live for", Servacek said.
Don Barnes Jr. was 25 years old when Tracey was killed. This article above was written in 1995, meaning Barnes would have been in his early 30's at the time. I think there is another, unnamed suspect who Servacek believes killed Tracey, and that the Don Barnes angle was borne out of suspicions of him being the one who found the body and the timing of everything that night.

Last edited by TheCars1986; 08-02-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #119
dynoguy88
Forum 3K Club Member

Don Barnes Jr. has been the number one suspect according to locals, even before the daughter started making accusations. There's also the Don name, roommate named Sean, lived in Walkersville where the call confession came in, etc. We've been down that road before.

What also was suspicious about Don is the hour and half time period from when he walked past the women's clothing store with Tracy being alive to discovering the body that he can't account for. This was a very small strip mall that was not very busy. He was the security guard. He could have walked that entire complex AND the women's clothing store about 30 times during that 90 minute window, yet he didn't notice the lights were still on until 10:30? It's been theorized (and brought up by the daughter) that he rushed home during this time to change into a different suit in order to come back and "discover" the body. If this is not true, why didn't he ever just say what he was doing? Did he sneak off for coffee? Did he go to his car and listen to the radio? I'd rather people think I was a slacker on the job than a killer.

The other most popular suspect is some student Tracy went to school with. Servacek believes HE is the killer and that politics and agenda kept him from getting arrested. What this guy's name is and where he was that night has never been revealed to the public, so it's harder to speculate about him. Maybe the documentary that's supposed to come out this year will shine some light.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #120
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Don Barnes Jr. has been the number one suspect according to locals, even before the daughter started making accusations. There's also the Don name, roommate named Sean, lived in Walkersville where the call confession came in, etc. We've been down that road before.
Right. I've always known that there were 2 suspects, and always assumed that it Barnes was the prime suspect. I always assumed that law enforcement was talking about him when speaking of prime suspects, and that he was the person who was under the grand jury investigation. He wasn't, and that is what shocked me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
What also was suspicious about Don is the hour and half time period from when he walked past the women's clothing store with Tracy being alive to discovering the body that he can't account for. This was a very small strip mall that was not very busy. He was the security guard. He could have walked that entire complex AND the women's clothing store about 30 times during that 90 minute window, yet he didn't notice the lights were still on until 10:30? It's been theorized (and brought up by the daughter) that he rushed home during this time to change into a different suit in order to come back and "discover" the body. If this is not true, why didn't he ever just say what he was doing? Did he sneak off for coffee? Did he go to his car and listen to the radio? I'd rather people think I was a slacker on the job than a killer.
I understand why Barnes is a suspect. He found the body, and as you said, has a very large window where he cannot be accounted for. Aside from this, there is nothing to suggest that Barnes even knew Tracey outside of your typical security guard/employee interactions that they may have had. This was Tracey's first night that she was closing ever at that store. We also don't know if Barnes' security company also patrolled the neighboring shopping centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
The other most popular suspect is some student Tracy went to school with. Servacek believes HE is the killer and that politics and agenda kept him from getting arrested. What this guy's name is and where he was that night has never been revealed to the public, so it's harder to speculate about him. Maybe the documentary that's supposed to come out this year will shine some light.
This is why I am dying to know about this guy. Servacek was adamant that he was the killer. All we've ever really heard about was Don Barnes. But maybe this unnamed guy is a much better suspect. I just find it odd that Barnes was seen as a footnote until the age of the internet when people started to speculate about him and name him, and the biggest thing that I kept seeing was that he found the body, has an hour and a half of alleged unaccounted for time, and that his father was a county sheriff.