Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 22, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #136
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Remember that time cocytus got all up in the grill of one of the family members of the Liebling's crew after her very first post on the board? God that was embarrassing.
"Hey, poster [insert condescending dribble here]." What was up with that guy?!
I cringed every time I saw that avatar come up because I knew it was going to be a ridiculous and aggressive post.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #137
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
And for Pete's sake just stick around, dude. We're getting shirts made next week.
I only approve of this as long as I get one.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #138
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
Ooooh okay. I get it now. My apologizes, I didn't know you were referring to the prison comment when calling me a troll. Well, I thought (not having ruled it out) that it was foul play, but I have since believed that it was an accident. I guess you could say it was 'trollish', because while I do think he was lying, the prison comment was more in touch with "he should be jailed for lying about the deaths of those on the ship", so yeah it wasn't entirely serious, and a bit trollish.

Sorry about all of that, I thought you mean't when I said he was lying you were referring to me trolling, not the prison comment.
no worries.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #139
Hambone2421

Quote:
Remember that time cocytus got all up in the grill of one of the family members of the Liebling's crew after her very first post on the board? God that was embarrassing.
Yea, I remember that. Geez. Cocytus had some good insight into some of the cases, but good Lord, if you disagreed with him....
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #140
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

cocytus had two theories:

If you were a man who disappeared or wound up dead, you were cruising for gay sex. If you were a woman who disappeared or wound up dead, you were a prostitute looking to buy drugs.

Don't miss him at all.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #141
asmitty
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
cocytus had two theories:

If you were a man who disappeared or wound up dead, you were cruising for gay sex. If you were a woman who disappeared or wound up dead, you were a prostitute looking to buy drugs.

Don't miss him at all.
Hey, be fair, cocytus also allowed the possibility the men could have been looking for drugs too. Or both drugs and gay sex.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #142
freakbook

Am I the new cocytus?

The gay sex angle isn't bad.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #143
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

All right. We've all held hands and sang together....

LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:45 AM   #144
cordwainer1453
Frequent Poster

I think anything that spurs more discussion about these unsolved cases is a good thing.
cordwainer1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #145
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453
I think anything that spurs more discussion about these unsolved cases is a good thing.
One would think so.

However, this still doesn't make sense. Why would they drift that far out as opposed to staying close to the boat? I feel staying close to the boat would be better, as did Nathan (the hull), as you would have larger pieces to rest on. Apparently Nathan thought so, so why after drifting out that far, he suddenly decided to swim hours back to where he just came from?

The more I think about it, the more I think Nathan never left the remnants of that ship. I'm supposed to believe a man of his size pulled something Michael Phelps would have trouble doing? He's swimming without food, and water for hours he never got tired, cramped, or drowned? Please.

EDIT: Hold up. http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1990/Su...5a91f4ed02885a

"He left the others with food and a raft, and set out to get help."

Where did he get food from? They had time to grab food as they were abandoning a sinking boat? If they were all holding onto a raft where would they have held the food?

I will conclude that he suffered survivor's guilt, and didn't help the others on the boat. His story is really sketchy, and doesn't make sense. I never heard anything about food. I'm going to assume he lied about certain parts of his story due to survivor's guilt, and wanting people to think he "tried" to save the others, but didn't, he only tried to save himself. This is evident with his phony "food" story. He's trying to not feel guilty with these phony "food" and "boat" stories. I don't think he killed them, but he saved himself, and is trying to get other people, and himself to believe he didn't do anything wrong and was a hero. Sad.

Last edited by freakbook; 02-17-2017 at 01:46 AM.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #146
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
Where did he get food from? They had time to grab food as they were abandoning a sinking boat? If they were all holding onto a raft where would they have held the food?
The boat wouldn't have immediately sunk. It was taking in water at a fairly decent pace before they even noticed anything was wrong. I'm sure they had time to gather their supplies before going on the raft. Their trip was a 7 day fishing excursion, so they had to have brought food with them.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #147
DALLASTEXAN!!

true about the slow sink. it sounds like it was just a terrible tragedy where nothing went right other than Nathan getting extremely lucky that someone found him before he died. Whether or not his mates made it or not like some hope...that obviously was not a good turnout for them if they were picked up and taken against their will. I don't see the reason for him to lie about what he saw. if it did not happen all Nathan would need to say is that he lost complete sight of them and they must have perished.

As far as the whole he's out of shape thing. yeah that is worth noting and is valid. if he knew how to swim well(most people do not), but I have seen people that swim greater than you would think they would because they know how to do it properly. need a source? look at the Alcatraz segment. the guy that swam the bay did not look like Michael phelps and he was drinking champaign afterward. IIRC he had the dad bod going a little bit. but I could be wrong.

(I am not saying Nathan did or did not know how to swim).

You also have to factor the adrenaline aspect. I imagine that he was able to swim a distance required to get to where he needed to go. there is no option to give up unless you want to die. Was it as far as he thought? who knows. the ocean current and weather conditions would have been a major factor with that. we will truly never know how far he did swim and I doubt that we could expect him to know that information 100% from memory as LooksLikeCRicci pointed out before. I imagine that if he was severely out of shape as well as a terrible swimmer...his recall of the distance would seem a lot longer than what it was anyway. I do not find that to be a foul on his part.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #148
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASTEXAN!!
As far as the whole he's out of shape thing. yeah that is worth noting and is valid. if he knew how to swim well(most people do not), but I have seen people that swim greater than you would think they would because they know how to do it properly(again I am not saying Nathan did or did not). You also have to factor the adrenaline aspect. I imagine that he was able to swim a distance required to get to where he needed to go. there is no option to give up unless you want to die.
This reminds me of the Tom Green Show when he swam across Lake Washington. He wasn't an experienced swimmer at all, and it took him over two hours to swim 1.3 miles. This is the swim that he did. Notice how they ask for strong swimmers? They expect people to swim 1.25 miles in less than 45 minutes. If it took Nathan hours to swim 4 or 5 miles, this does nothing but bolster his credibility. If he was out of shape, this makes his story even more believable. No wonder it took him so long to swim that short of a distance.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #149
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
This reminds me of the Tom Green Show when he swam across Lake Washington. He wasn't an experienced swimmer at all, and it took him over two hours to swim 1.3 miles. This is the swim that he did. Notice how they ask for strong swimmers? They expect people to swim 1.25 miles in less than 45 minutes. If it took Nathan hours to swim 4 or 5 miles, this does nothing but bolster his credibility. If he was out of shape, this makes his story even more believable. No wonder it took him so long to swim that short of a distance.
nice...i never saw that.

just reading "the tom green show" makes me laugh instantly.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #150
asmitty
Forum Regular

Quote:
This is exactly right. If we take Nathan's time and distance estimates as mostly accurate, a strong swimmer like Phelps would have been to the hull be early afternoon at the latest. I'm a moderately strong swimmer meaning I know all the proper techniques. I swam competitively in high school. A few times a year, I get into the pool at my gym and do a distance swim. I'm 6'1" and 230lbs. When I get in the water to swim, I can generally knock out one mile in 45 minutes. The second mile usually takes more like 50-60 minutes.

We also have to consider that the hull of the boat was moving towards him as he swam which would shorten the distance some. He had been on the life raft with his mates according to his story. The life raft had been out drifting with the currents. It stands to reason that the hull of the boat was moving in the same direction as the life raft since it was adrift as well. It was just moving more slowly because of its larger mass.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote